One Reported Dead In Freight Train Ac...

One Reported Dead In Freight Train Accident

There are 66 comments on the WBBM-TV Chicago story from Feb 11, 2006, titled One Reported Dead In Freight Train Accident. In it, WBBM-TV Chicago reports that:

CHICAGO A pedestrian was reported dead Saturday night after being struck by a freight train Saturday night in Villa Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBBM-TV Chicago.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RailWatcher

Fishers, IN

#1 Feb 12, 2006
Why would Cook County "officials" care about this ?

Last time I looked, Villa Park was WELL inside of DuPage County.
annabelle

United States

#2 Feb 12, 2006
she was such a good friend of mine. RIP kristen
dee

United States

#3 Feb 12, 2006
it breaks my heart to hear about any one getting killed by a train.when are people going to wake up,they drive or walk around the gates,walk on the tracks.but you can not blame the train,it is common sense you stay off the tracks.it is sad but also stupidity.i feel sad for them but then again i dont,it is preventable.people wake up.
Mike

Wheeling, IL

#4 Feb 12, 2006
but i never got a name as to who....i heard it was a student and Willowbrook and im curious to know as to who it was...because i am a current student myself i am very concerned...
Kate

Arlington Heights, IL

#5 Feb 12, 2006
Kristen Bowen.

I've known her for years. not my friend. my little sisters. she was a freshmen...she's got a twin sister..

was it suicide?
Mike

Wheeling, IL

#6 Feb 13, 2006
i heard she was just trying to cross in time...i've heard many conflicting reports though
Kate

Northbrook, IL

#7 Feb 13, 2006
she was meeting her boyfriend..it was just an accident
Coy

Phoenixville, PA

#8 Feb 13, 2006
Kristen was a friend of my daughter and although it has been a few years she and her sister were once at my house more than there own it seems. My own daughter has lived in this area for 11 years now and she knows 4 people who have been struck and killed by trains between Ardmore and Grace st. It's time, or should I say well past time that something be done to prevent this?? how many more funeral will our kids have to attend because of the "tracks"?
dee

United States

#9 Feb 14, 2006
this in reply to coy of lombard,it takes common sense to prevent this,that train was coming from the west and where she was crossing by westmore and terrace pond, you can see the trains clear as day,but it doesnt matter she and all the other people young and old are always taking the short cut, cutting across the tracks last i remember there is not a cross walk where she was hit.i do feel bad for her,and her family it is a horrible tragedy,and it happens too much why because of impaitence,stupidity.by the way i seen a memorial by the addison rd. tracks a few days ago, for a girl named heather,what happened there? someone let me know.
Mike

Wheeling, IL

#10 Feb 14, 2006
I've wondered that myself who this "Heather" is....i didnt think it was so much a memorial than something more joyful...it looked sorta joyful and colorful if you ask me to be a memorial or mourning type place...but i could be wrong.....
dee

United States

#11 Feb 14, 2006
i think it is a memorial a sign with her name,all the flowers in the fence,thats usually done when someone is killed in the area.whats it going to take for people wake up.
Mike

Wheeling, IL

#12 Feb 14, 2006
well the one that recently got hit was Kristen and this sign says Heather...i never heard anything but someone else getting killed in the area.....which is too many around my house if you ask me....thats 3 ppl now by my house getting killed by trains.....that is assuming Heather is another victim
Connie

La Grange Park, IL

#13 Feb 15, 2006
I am in total agreement. It would be interesting for a newspaper invesigator to list ALL the people that have been killed on that track over the past 10 years. The loss is incredible and we need to get sick and tired of it and do something to make it safer. If you live around there, it is your only way to the other side besides walking all the way over to Main st bridge in Lombard.
Coy wrote:
Kristen was a friend of my daughter and although it has been a few years she and her sister were once at my house more than there own it seems. My own daughter has lived in this area for 11 years now and she knows 4 people who have been struck and killed by trains between Ardmore and Grace st. It's time, or should I say well past time that something be done to prevent this?? how many more funeral will our kids have to attend because of the "tracks"?
Connie

La Grange Park, IL

#14 Feb 15, 2006
I am in total agreement. It would be interesting for a newspaper invesigator to list ALL the people that have been killed on that track over the past 10 years. The loss is incredible and we need to get sick and tired of it and do something to make it safer. If you live around there, it is your only way to the other side besides walking all the way over to Main st bridge in Lombard.
dee

United States

#15 Feb 15, 2006
i am so sick of this,i grew up in villa park,by those tracks,and we crossed them at addison rd.big deal you have to walk a little further to get there,its better than getting your self killed,i see people all the time running across the tracks,and there not at a safe crossing area,or running around lowered gates.oh lets take the short cut,or i can beat the train,the only person you can blame is yourself!!!!want to be safe,use the brain god gave you.pure stupidity
John

Chicago, IL

#16 Feb 17, 2006
Here's an idea, don't run in front of the train. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but it's not the trains fault that people get hit by it, as stated earlier, it's just impatience that leads to disasters like this. Everyone should be more careful, and not take risks when dealing with crossing the tracks.
Jean honolulu hawaii

AOL

#17 Feb 17, 2006
Let's just remember the pressure put on our children. The homework, sports and other activities. This day and age we pressuure our kids daily. Kristen was a close friend of my daughter's. She is a honor roll student, active in sports, has hours of homework to do daily. She is always rushing to get things down and keep up her grades and all the other pressures she has. If our kids could slow down to enjoy life, there would be no need to take a short cut here or there. Just remember, with your words, you hurt those parents and friends and families who read this site. They lost a child. What if it was your child? Would you say they were stupid?? No, of course not!!! DOn't use it on others either.. I lived in VIlla PArk for a long time and there is more that needs to be done regards to gates and fences to protect the children. To force them to take the extra steps to protect there lifes. Not call them stupid and blame them!!!! Some people need to have hearts!!!
dee

United States

#18 Feb 17, 2006
in reply to miss hawaii:i had a family member killed by a train,because she was running late to her train to go home,and she decided to run around the gates and a train from the other direction got her.she could have waited for the next train,but no...and yeah what she did was stupid,and i do blame her,she is the one who decided to go around the gates.and i do love and miss her very much.
they can put up all the gates and fences they want,but people are still going to do what they want.that is why i feel so strongly about this issue,sad and angry whenever i hear about someone getting killed by a train.only yourself can prevent that from happening.like they say LOOK,LISTEN,AND LIVE.
hear me

Lockport, IL

#19 Feb 22, 2006
Well it seems to me that dee is not a parent. There is no way on earth anyone with a child of their own would call another child "stupid" Maybe you should get the whole story befor you make a fool of yourself. Can you imagine the pain and hurt the family is going through right now?? Now is not the time to point fingers. It is time to make these train tracks safer. How many more kids so we have to lose to make these tracks safer. Just imagine if it was your child and some ignorant person was on here calling your child "stupid"
dee wrote:
in reply to miss hawaii:i had a family member killed by a train,because she was running late to her train to go home,and she decided to run around the gates and a train from the other direction got her.she could have waited for the next train,but no...and yeah what she did was stupid,and i do blame her,she is the one who decided to go around the gates.and i do love and miss her very much.
they can put up all the gates and fences they want,but people are still going to do what they want.that is why i feel so strongly about this issue,sad and angry whenever i hear about someone getting killed by a train.only yourself can prevent that from happening.like they say LOOK,LISTEN,AND LIVE.
MIKE-FROM LOMBARD

United States

#20 Feb 23, 2006
THE HEATHER REFERED TO IN THE SIGN ON THE FENCE ON ADDISON WAS HEATHER DICKHAUT WHO WAS KILLED 18 YEARS AGO BY A PASSING TRAIN. THE MEMORIAL HAS BEEN PUT THERE EVERY FEB. BY HER MOTHER AND SISTER FOR THE LAST 18 YEARS. HEATHERS MOTHER IS MY GIRLFRIEND AND BELIEVE ME SHE HAS NEVER GOT OVER THAT TRAGIC DAY WHEN SHE LOST HER DAUGHTER. I ONLY HOPE MORE PEOPLE WILL JOIN HER SISTER IN DEMANDING THAT THE VILLA PARK BOARD DOES SOMETHING SOON TO PREVENT ANYMORE TRAGIDIES.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lombard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Noise from new O'Hare runway angers Park Ridge ... (Dec '08) Mon Davy 199
Bicycles totally illegal, on streets and sidewa... (Jun '13) Sun Al Holtzman 17
Trump Is the greatest president of All time!! Aug 19 Captain Dunghorse 1
TRUMP is a JAGOFF (Feb '17) Aug 19 Guess Who 10
Poor sole Aug 19 Guess Who 5
Living Life With Guilt Aug 19 Guess Who 8
News look Villa Park Library could emerge from April... (Jan '17) Jun '17 Sick of stupid 2

Lombard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lombard Mortgages