MARTA in Gwinnett?

MARTA in Gwinnett?

There are 29 comments on the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Dec 9, 2006, titled MARTA in Gwinnett?. In it, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

Support extension? Yes, because Gwinnett County has always needed a public transportation system, especially a rapid train system.

( via The Atlanta Journal-Constitution  )

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

St. Charles, IL

#1 Apr 25, 2007
Please!!

Gwinnett is in dire need of a mass transit system....for many reasons.

It is ridiculous NOT to have busing when everything is spread out all over the place.

It's hard for teens to get to get a job and get to work.

Gasoline prices are getting out of control as it is.

We need to conserve energy and resources.

AND TRAFFIC IS OUT OF CONTROL!!

“not on Topix much these days”

Since: Apr 07

Anywhere Except Georgia

#2 May 21, 2007
Well, they've got that Bus Service now so I don't know if it's really that big of deal nowdays.

There was a referendum on bringing MARTA to Gwinnett Co. when I was about 17 (a year too young to vote) and was living in Gwinnett Co., just not quite old enough to vote.

Not only that, the 1996 Atlanta Olympics was a few years away! LOL

And yeah we sure needed that. But people voted against it because they didn't want people from the "inner city" to be able to get up there. Yeah, I don't know if you remember the days when that area was you know, Mayberry-ish. It was prodomanantly White, and all small-towns... Well, the outermost parts were, anyway. Norcross and all that has always been pretty urban (at least in my lifetime anyway...)

Anyway yeah, people with that "small town" mentality are the reason we didn't get MARTA in the early 90's.

It's still a good idea, don't get me wrong. But it's a day late and a dollar short. We needed it THEN.

Of course I'm rarely in Georgia these days. I'm more concerned with what's going on in South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, etc., than I am what's going on in Georgia (even though it's technically my state of residence at the moment).

And I never even thought about viewing this board until just now when my "Location" thing was saying CALIFORNIA!!! LOL I promise you I am NOT in California! Nor am I in Florida, nor New York. Wouldn't be caught dead there! I'm not that fond of Georgia these days but at least it ain't California!!!

Anyway, about the orig, I dunno. I guess we'll have to see how it all turns out. Anything that will cut down on the traffic around the Mall Of Georgia area has to be a good thing.

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#3 Jul 25, 2007
centaurgirl1 wrote:
Please!!
Gwinnett is in dire need of a mass transit system....for many reasons.
It is ridiculous NOT to have busing when everything is spread out all over the place.
It's hard for teens to get to get a job and get to work.
Gasoline prices are getting out of control as it is.
We need to conserve energy and resources.
AND TRAFFIC IS OUT OF CONTROL!!
Hey, how old are you? I mean, if you are in your teens, don;t you think that you are a little young to be trying to save Georgia?(THE BEST STATE IN THE WORLD) I am just asking because it is kind if weird thinking that I am the only kid on here.

St. Charles, IL

#4 Jul 26, 2007
Jenn105 wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, how old are you? I mean, if you are in your teens, don;t you think that you are a little young to be trying to save Georgia?(THE BEST STATE IN THE WORLD) I am just asking because it is kind if weird thinking that I am the only kid on here.
I'm a concerned parent. You may be the only kid on here, for all we know!!

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#5 Jul 26, 2007
centaurgirl1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a concerned parent. You may be the only kid on here, for all we know!!
So sad....
CHC

Miami, FL

#6 Jul 27, 2007
My grandparents moved to Suwanee in the 1940's and they still live in the same house.
My hole extended family on my fathers side still live in Suwanee.

There is a reason why my family has stayed in Suwanee for all these years. They don't have to lock the door's at night.
My grandmother and aunts don't have to worry about getting there purse snatched at the grocery store.

If MARTA came to Suwanee the crime rate would go up 80% in Suwanee.

Marta would bring homeless people that talk to them selves and ask for money.

look at what has happened to Doraville.

If you ride on Marta in Doraville what do you see out the windows? Graffiti all over buildings that back up to the MARTA lines.

I could go on and on why MARTA should not come to Suwanee.

It's just not a good idea to bring MARTA to suwanee.

St. Charles, IL

#7 Jul 27, 2007
Give me a break... you don't want MARTA in Suwanee so your grandparents don't have to lock their doors?

Honey, I have news for you... with the age of computers and internet, you don't have to get robbed "in person" anymore.

Bottom line is you have to take off your rose colored glasses. While Suwanee is a nice town, please don't think that crime is non-existant(ie burglary, robbery, purse snatching) YOU JUST DON'T HEAR ABOUT IT.

In addition, your comments regarding homeless people and that they talk to themselves is just IGNORANT. This is due to mental illness, and really has nothing to do with MARTA coming to Gwinnett.

Georgia needs to take care of its ill and homeless people, then maybe perhaps what you are suggesting wouldn't apply.
CHC

Miami, FL

#8 Jul 31, 2007
Centayrgirl1 your IGNORANT to think that homeless people are ill. They have chose the life they are leaving they have chose not to work.
Even retard's can get a job.

Also I never said that Suwanee didn't have crime I said the crime rate would go up 80%.

There is a Marta train station in Doraville just a few miles outside of Gwinnett thats close enough for me.

Anywhere Except Georgia

#9 Jul 31, 2007
CHC wrote:
Centayrgirl1 your IGNORANT to think that homeless people are ill. They have chose the life they are leaving they have chose not to work.
That is a very common misconception. The truth is that if they COULD get a (decent) job, MOST of them would.

Now, ok, I will admit that there are SOME who just don't want to, but think about this: Would you panhandle unless you really, really had to?

CHC wrote:
There is a Marta train station in Doraville just a few miles outside of Gwinnett thats close enough for me.
Yeah but what about the people who need it (or could badly use it) for transportation? And what about the traffic problems? If you have driven in Suwanee, or Duluth, Lawrenceville, Buford, Cumming, Alpharetta, Gainesville, Norcross, etc., etc., etc., during Rush Hour or other "peak" times... you probably know what I mean ;)

CHC wrote:
look at what has happened to Doraville.
Of course Doraville is MUCH more "urban" if you will, than Suwanee is. It's closer to Atlanta. It's more of a "inner city" type town than Suwanee is.

Suwanee has always been pretty country, for as long as I can remember. Pretty cool, though. There's even a Local Ordinance which allows them to sell beer on Sunday!

Which BTW (a side point) laws like Alcohol On Sunday are a blatant violation of Seperation Of Church And State! I am looking into and intend to get ALL OF THEM overturned, and perhaps Damages (including Punitive) for anybody who has ever been inconvenienced by that (I'll get some links later...)

I'm a Christian myself, but I don't have the right to put my Religious Beliefs above those of others (including Athiests) and neither does anybody else, including State Legislators! And they will be held accountable for deliberately keeping that law there, knowing full well it is wrong. Anyway that's enough about that for now. Like I said I'll hunt for a link later, about that.

CHC wrote:
There is a reason why my family has stayed in Suwanee for all these years. They don't have to lock the door's at night.
I guess I'll be playing the cynical one, here... but I'm just gonna be real (like I always do) There is NOWHERE that is that safe. NOWHERE!

Unless you live on a deserted island or something... and even still...

Just lock your doors! Just do! Install security equipment. Alarms are good. Deadbolts are very good. Cameras aren't a bad idea either. Motion Detectors are good. Door-Clubs are awesome! Anyway, JUST DO IT!

I was once like that, myself. I didn't see the point in locking doors. I figured it was just wasted effort to lock and unlock every time. I just didn't see the need.

Then about 12 years or so ago, I had a little incident with these 2 people I used to know stalking me, putting survailance stuff in my house, car, etc. And they would have never been able to if I had kept stuff locked.

And BTW, I'm not "telling you what to do", per say. I mean you can do whatever you want (I'm not anybody's keeper...) If you wanted to you could... go stand on a train track, for exampe. You could tie a noose around you and drop the weight... I just don't recommend doing so (needless to say), is all I'm saying. And the same principal applies to that, of course. I don't receommend leaving doors unlocked.

Anyway, there is NOWHERE safe anymore. NOWHERE! Of course then again, there NEVER has been in my lifetime. I'd say probably in the 40's, in rural Georgia, you could probably have gotten away with that. PROBABLY. It still wasn't a good idea. But anybody who does it now, I would have to inform them of the extreme dangers of doing so.

I wish there weren't people like that in the world, but that's just how it is in this life! Nothing we can do about it, except protect ourselfs from it.

St. Charles, IL

#10 Jul 31, 2007
CHC wrote:
Also I never said that Suwanee didn't have crime I said the crime rate would go up 80%.
No, YOU ARE IGNORANT. Most homeless people really are mentally ill. Some have had some bad luck.

For the most part, homelessness is not something anyone would choose.
google is my homeboy

Phenix City, AL

#11 Aug 5, 2007
crankdat

Cumming, GA

#12 Aug 9, 2007
MARTA is needed
public transit doesn't make a place "bad" just look at Alpharetta or Dunwoody

some people are just afraid minorities will take over their neighborhood. Well I got news for you,Snellville became predominantly black withtout public transit and Norcross was mostly Hispanic long before Gwinnett Transit
Scott

United States

#13 Aug 15, 2007
I live in South Florida and looking to move my family to Gwinnett County. Any suggestions? Suwanee seems to be the place.

I desire to raise my children in a protected environment. Right or wrong, I want a predominately white and English speaking area. It's bad here with 40% of schoolchildren having English as a second language and my HUGE property tax bill funding it. The school system in Georgia seems far superior but I'm afraid that won't be for long. Help me with some suggestions before I'm catering rice and beans for 400 at my daughter's wedding and that is just Rrra..mone's side of the family.

St. Charles, IL

#14 Aug 17, 2007
Scott wrote:
I live in South Florida and looking to move my family to Gwinnett County. Any suggestions? Suwanee seems to be the place.
I desire to raise my children in a protected environment. Right or wrong, I want a predominately white and English speaking area. It's bad here with 40% of schoolchildren having English as a second language and my HUGE property tax bill funding it. The school system in Georgia seems far superior but I'm afraid that won't be for long. Help me with some suggestions before I'm catering rice and beans for 400 at my daughter's wedding and that is just Rrra..mone's side of the family.
I hate to be the one to say this, but Gwinnett has the HIGHEST immigrant (legal and illegal) population in Georgia.

It doesn't really matter where you go in this county...

“Invent and Destroy”

Since: Jun 07

USA

#15 Aug 19, 2007
centaurgirl1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, YOU ARE IGNORANT. Most homeless people really are mentally ill. Some have had some bad luck.
For the most part, homelessness is not something anyone would choose.
I really doubt that "most" of the ones without home are mentally ill, but a few I suppose.

True, being without home may not be their primary coice, but bad luck or not, they have not made enough good decisions in life to succeed.

Life is what we make of it...

“Invent and Destroy”

USA

#16 Aug 19, 2007
2informU wrote:
Well, they've got that Bus Service now so I don't know if it's really that big of deal nowdays.
There was a referendum on bringing MARTA to Gwinnett Co. when I was about 17 (a year too young to vote) and was living in Gwinnett Co., just not quite old enough to vote.
Not only that, the 1996 Atlanta Olympics was a few years away! LOL
And yeah we sure needed that. But people voted against it because they didn't want people from the "inner city" to be able to get up there. Yeah, I don't know if you remember the days when that area was you know, Mayberry-ish. It was prodomanantly White, and all small-towns... Well, the outermost parts were, anyway. Norcross and all that has always been pretty urban (at least in my lifetime anyway...)
Anyway yeah, people with that "small town" mentality are the reason we didn't get MARTA in the early 90's.
It's still a good idea, don't get me wrong. But it's a day late and a dollar short. We needed it THEN.
Of course I'm rarely in Georgia these days. I'm more concerned with what's going on in South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, etc., than I am what's going on in Georgia (even though it's technically my state of residence at the moment).
And I never even thought about viewing this board until just now when my "Location" thing was saying CALIFORNIA!!! LOL I promise you I am NOT in California! Nor am I in Florida, nor New York. Wouldn't be caught dead there! I'm not that fond of Georgia these days but at least it ain't California!!!
Anyway, about the orig, I dunno. I guess we'll have to see how it all turns out. Anything that will cut down on the traffic around the Mall Of Georgia area has to be a good thing.
Anything wrong with a mostly white small town?

Anywhere Except Georgia

#17 Aug 20, 2007
whoisjohngalt wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything wrong with a mostly white small town?
Well I don't suppose. But on the other hand is there anything wrong with diversity?

Of course I realise that there are people who, right or wrong, want to be primarily with members of the same race as they. I realise that. And believe it or not, as long as they are not trying to violate anybody else's rights in the process, I respect that.

I was talking once on another site, about how it might be a good idea to let them get a "Charter" or "License" to have a small town where they can pretty much discriminate about who can live there.

The reactions I got (from both sides) were rather mixed. Most didn't really think it was the right way to go about it.

But I cannot help thinking that it would indeed solve the problem, from both sides. I really think it would.

It gives them A PLACE where they can have things like they want, without infringing on anybody else's rights in the process.

Because you aren't gonna change these people! It's just not gonna happen! But getting them away from everybody else, at the same time as essentially giving them what they want also, is absolutely perfect! That is what ANY decent problem solver tries to do is MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY (including people who are at polar opposites with each other)

I think my plan is absolutely perfect. What do you think?

Is there anything wrong? Have I left something out? Will it end up violating somebody's rights, somehow? Did I misappropriate something, somewhere?

Or is it absolutely perfect, from both sides? What do you think?

“Invent and Destroy”

USA

#18 Aug 20, 2007
Perfection is tough!

Diversity is fine, as long as it's voluntary.

Anywhere Except Georgia

#19 Aug 20, 2007
whoisjohngalt wrote:
Perfection is tough!
Nah! No so tough, as long as you know how to achieve it ;)

It's all a matter of knowing specifically where to draw the line at, as far as one person's rights over another's. Of course it's also about allowing people to make choices for themselfs and bringing the Government (etc) into it, ONLY when somebody is SERIOUSLY being done wrong, and it is one person or entity verses another (not Self vs. Self)

And the same formula pretty much applies to virtually EVERY Political and Social issue there is.

It's pretty easy to please almost everybody except those who desire to either control another person, or to meddle into somebody else's concerns where they are not wanted (Or to "protect them from themself") And neither of those types really matter anyway. They are both lame and should be treated as such.

But almost 100% of the world is good people. Good people are considerate of others, and respect the rights, beliefs, etc., of others even when they disagree with them.

And it is almost 100% possible to please ALL GOOD PEOPLE (which is almost everybody, as I stated previously). Granted, you will never quite hit 100% but I think 80 ~ 90% is a pretty good goal (It's sure better than the 3 ~ 8% of today!!!)

So yeah it's not as difficult as it appears :)

whoisjohngalt wrote:
Diversity is fine, as long as it's voluntary.
Yeah but on the other hand, telling somebody else that they CAN'T live somewhere can lead to situations which violate that person's rights...

But what about the plan I mentioned above?

I think that will pretty much solve it from both sides, won't it?

If anybody can spot anything wrong with that (from either side of the coin) do please inform me!!!

I think it's 90 ~ 99% perfect, as far as that issue goes, but I have been wrong before...

“Confront the Brutal Facts”

Since: Mar 06

Buford, Ga

#20 Aug 21, 2007
Less government is good! I have little tolerance for those who whine and complain. I think your plan would work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loganville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Moody Aug 11 LMAO 2
Review: Sparks Cars (Aug '12) Aug 2 ronald lane 10
News Kool Smiles patients file class-action lawsuit ... (Feb '08) Jul '16 jay_rogers 210
What H Clinton Wants to do for You Jun '16 Fed Up Democrat 4
Review: Givens Granite & Tile LLC (Mar '11) May '16 StopRJMadden 23
News Public School Parents In Georgia Furious About ... (Sep '15) May '16 Three Days 15
Reebok sneakers (Dec '15) Dec '15 Bvbymvni 1

Loganville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Loganville Mortgages