consol & massey
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
just wondering

Charleston, WV

#1 May 11, 2009
has anyone heard anything about consol and massey shutting down??
aracomaminerswif e

United States

#2 May 11, 2009
my husband said don blakenship was supposed to make some kinda announcement today about buying some other companies...so not sure...havent heard anything
miners wife

Charleston, WV

#3 May 11, 2009
aracomaminerswife wrote:
my husband said don blakenship was supposed to make some kinda announcement today about buying some other companies...so not sure...havent heard anything
Thanks!! Please keep me informed.
mom22

Rocky Mount, NC

#4 May 11, 2009
I heard that Don Blankenship was going to make an announcement that they were shuuting down ALL their operations for 3 months to try to drive the cost of coal back up. I'm not sure if this is at all true its just a rumor thats going around.
aracomaminerswif e

United States

#5 May 11, 2009
mom22 wrote:
I heard that Don Blankenship was going to make an announcement that they were shuuting down ALL their operations for 3 months to try to drive the cost of coal back up. I'm not sure if this is at all true its just a rumor thats going around.
I've heard that too from many people, doesnt make sense after putting some men back to 6 days and 9 hours, but that could have been to fill quick coal orders...
miners wife

Charleston, WV

#6 May 11, 2009
aracomaminerswife wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard that too from many people, doesnt make sense after putting some men back to 6 days and 9 hours, but that could have been to fill quick coal orders...
I heard that too, but I heard only for 1 month.I have heard so much stuff that I don't know what to believe anymore.My husband works at Aracoma and he said that the pillaring is almost finished and then they would probably go back to 4 days a week 10 hrs a day.Not sure now what is going to happen.Maybe my hubby will find out something and let me know tonight when he gets home.I will keep you informed if anything new comes up.
miners wife

Charleston, WV

#7 May 11, 2009
I also heard that don was trying to get consol to shut down with massey.To show people that we do need coal.I don't know if this is true.Like I said I have been hearing all kinds of stuff..
aracomaminerswif e

United States

#8 May 11, 2009
I have heard that several times, I heard all the big company owners were in talks of trying to shut all mines down, so that they can show the government hoe dependent they are on coal...this was told from a higher up person in one of these companies...but again...this could be a rumor..lol
miners wife

Charleston, WV

#9 May 11, 2009
If this happens I wonder how long it will last???

“Hey, it's that girl.”

Since: Jun 08

Logan, WV

#10 May 11, 2009
It's funny aracomaminerswife, our elected officials claim to be well-educated and in-the-know but they do not understand how important coal is. Say what you like and judge me as you like but Obama said he would make it hard on coal companies to keep their mines open because he was going to tax them so hard.

well

Marietta, OH

#11 May 11, 2009
I'm too tired to hear any more announcements! I hope they let things be for a while!
I support Coal

Hurricane, WV

#12 May 11, 2009
LoganWildcat wrote:
It's funny aracomaminerswife, our elected officials claim to be well-educated and in-the-know but they do not understand how important coal is. Say what you like and judge me as you like but Obama said he would make it hard on coal companies to keep their mines open because he was going to tax them so hard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Hdi4onAQBWQXX
What is even more funnier is that the UMWA backed Obama.

People here in West Virginia has even relocated and went to China to teach them all about Coal how to produce it, we have many that are in China working and living.

Joe Bidden makes it very plain that the government wants China to produce it that it's dirty Business..

I think it's time that the Coal Miners in every state that produces it come together, Unions And non unions and pay Washington a visit, It's time for ALL COAL MINERS TO SPEAK OUT, BEFORE ITS TO LATE.
Our Nation has all the natural Gas, Oil, And coal and yet they give our jobs over seas.
Alaska has all the Oil we need and yet our Government will buy it from People whom calls America devils and wants to kill us, taking American Jobs away from us to make them Richer..

I am so sick of our Governor, and Rockefeller has not stood up to stop this slander on the coal fields , and what new jobs do you think they will give WV? lol None.
kilroy

United States

#13 May 13, 2009
Alpha just bought Foundation coal, and i heard they offered to merge with Massey but Don refused. They are now larger than Massey.
Coal Hog

Richmond, VA

#14 May 14, 2009
Windmills also pose environmental concern
Beckley Register Herald - Guest Opinion - Monday, May 11, 2009
I would like to pose some questions to the Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition, West Virginia Highlands Conservancy, Coal River Mountain Watch, the Save Kayford Mountain Group and any others that call themselves environmentalists. Do you really think that windmills are the environmentally safe solution to our power needs? How many windmills would it take to supply the power needs of West Virginia? Can we place that many? How long will it take to place them? Without coal, where would our power come from in the meantime?

I think these are important questions; however, I see other problems with windmills. First, it takes approximately 250 tons of steel to construct one windmill. Steel mills burn coal. Once you have put the miners out of work, are you going to put the steel workers out of work as well, and buy the steel from China?

Second, how many trees will have to be cut to make room for all of these windmills?

Third, how are you going to get these windmills on top of the mountains? You will have to drill and blast roads; these mean that you will need valley fills. Fifth, you have to get the generated power off of the mountain; this means more cut trees, drilling, blasting and valley fills.

So, what you are proposing is massive deforestation, extensive drilling and blasting, and valley fills. These are the same things that you say are wrong with surface mining, so how can they be OK for windmills?

So, are you pro-environment, or anti-coal? I say that it is anti-coal and, in most cases, just anti-Massey. I donít work for Massey, but letís call a spade a spade. Years ago when Peabody was in western Raleigh County conducting union mountaintop removal mining, everything was fine. When Massey started doing it non-union, you decided that it was wrong and time to build windmills.

Why not let our people mine coal to keep our power bills low and supply the steel mills with coal, so that our fellow citizens can work? Once the coal has been recovered, and the land reclaimed, you will have the perfect place for the windmills, with roads already in place.

If you are going to call yourselves environmentalists, at least be consistent. So far, the only thing consistent about you is your hypocrisy.
Billy Treadway - Peterstown
Wanting to know

United States

#15 May 14, 2009
Can anyone tell me who bought out Patroit Coal (I think I spelled that right)
im not sure

Midland, TX

#16 May 14, 2009
i think jim bunn did but im not sure he owns coal river and kanawha eagle
Coal hog

Sistersville, WV

#17 May 14, 2009
aracomaminerswife wrote:
I have heard that several times, I heard all the big company owners were in talks of trying to shut all mines down, so that they can show the government hoe dependent they are on coal...this was told from a higher up person in one of these companies...but again...this could be a rumor..lol
These are all just rumors ladies, don't believe everything you hear, there alot of people outside of Massey starting things rumors.
thankful

Charleston, WV

#18 May 14, 2009
Coal hog wrote:
<quoted text>
These are all just rumors ladies, don't believe everything you hear, there alot of people outside of Massey starting things rumors.
I hope you are right..
wanting to know

Princeton, WV

#19 May 14, 2009
my husband told me that massey did buy patriot coal the nonunion mine...but I was told today by another person that some bought out the union patriot coal. My husband said there were two different patriot coals...I don't know but would like to know more.
Scared

Midland, TX

#20 May 15, 2009
Coal Hog wrote:
Windmills also pose environmental concern
Beckley Register Herald - Guest Opinion - Monday, May 11, 2009
I would like to pose some questions to the Ohio Valley Environmental Coalition, West Virginia Highlands Conservancy, Coal River Mountain Watch, the Save Kayford Mountain Group and any others that call themselves environmentalists. Do you really think that windmills are the environmentally safe solution to our power needs? How many windmills would it take to supply the power needs of West Virginia? Can we place that many? How long will it take to place them? Without coal, where would our power come from in the meantime?
I think these are important questions; however, I see other problems with windmills. First, it takes approximately 250 tons of steel to construct one windmill. Steel mills burn coal. Once you have put the miners out of work, are you going to put the steel workers out of work as well, and buy the steel from China?
Second, how many trees will have to be cut to make room for all of these windmills?
Third, how are you going to get these windmills on top of the mountains? You will have to drill and blast roads; these mean that you will need valley fills. Fifth, you have to get the generated power off of the mountain; this means more cut trees, drilling, blasting and valley fills.
So, what you are proposing is massive deforestation, extensive drilling and blasting, and valley fills. These are the same things that you say are wrong with surface mining, so how can they be OK for windmills?
So, are you pro-environment, or anti-coal? I say that it is anti-coal and, in most cases, just anti-Massey. I donít work for Massey, but letís call a spade a spade. Years ago when Peabody was in western Raleigh County conducting union mountaintop removal mining, everything was fine. When Massey started doing it non-union, you decided that it was wrong and time to build windmills.
Why not let our people mine coal to keep our power bills low and supply the steel mills with coal, so that our fellow citizens can work? Once the coal has been recovered, and the land reclaimed, you will have the perfect place for the windmills, with roads already in place.
If you are going to call yourselves environmentalists, at least be consistent. So far, the only thing consistent about you is your hypocrisy.
Billy Treadway - Peterstown
Do you work at Hernshaw???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Logan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Single black female 4 hr Sid69 8
Tre Donbins raped at swrj. Terrible! 6 hr gottdayyummm 5
Logan high football is a joke 6 hr Honest 3
Gridiron 6 hr Serious 5
Bridgett McNeely busted again 7 hr Moss Grimmick 7
hammy 8 hr lmao 4
Where's Shaun Adkins? 11 hr Blue Eyes 2

Logan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Logan Mortgages