Teachers at Logan high School

Posted in the Logan Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
LOGAN MOM

United States

#1 Sep 13, 2008
WHY DO WE PARENTS LET THOSE TEACHERS AT HIGH SCHOOL DO OUR KIDS THE WAY THEY DO. One Mrs Thompson who teaches Algebra II she really does not teach the class, a couple examples on the board is not teaching. She will find anything to belittle a student . This is not fair to our kids. The boards office said they have had tons of complaints on her SO WHY HASN'T SOMETHING BEEN DONE ABOUT IT. Also Mr Hanlin...What a asshole...he has not got a good word for no one.. I think he needs a nerve pill ...When the cars are coming off the island at 3 he gets so upset and hyper..he looks so rediculous out there with his 2 way radio waveing those cars off , if one car lets another out he stands in the middle of the road ranting and raveing so bad that the cars stop and wanna watch him...WOW WHERE DOES OUR SCHOOL SYSTEM FIND IT EMPLOYEES. Kids would like school more if they were not harassed at school also if a kid like you they are more apt to do better work,, I THINK WE PARENTS NEED TO CARRY OUT THINGS AND THE SCHOOL WOULD BE BETTER AND THE TEACHERS WOULD STOP ACTING LIKE BABIES AND DO THEIR JOBS>
townie

Clovis, NM

#2 Sep 13, 2008
Those two have been like that for years and always gotten away with it and the board office knows it, since alot of the administration came from there.
Old WV Gal

Hinesville, GA

#3 Sep 13, 2008
Mrs. Thompson was teaching at that school when Zigmond was principal at it. She was a horrible teacher in '94 when I had her, and I don't think she has gotten better. I had to go to Mrs. Burgess and get help with my Algebra because everytime I would ask a question to Thompson, she would yell and berate me, and any others who asked. If you get behind in her class, good luck, it's hard to get caught back up. Tutors help to pass her class, it's the only way that you'll learn the class, she sure can't teach it.
Former LHS student

Albany, NY

#4 Sep 13, 2008
I took an honor's Algebra II class with Mrs. Thompson a few years ago. She has a very hateful demeanor when dealing with students, and expects a lot of self-teaching. Honestly, I've had an easier time with my college classes than I did with that class. As far as Mr. Hanlon(Hanlin?) goes, he was very rude to my mother on multiple occasions when she needed to pick me up early from school and such. He was also very coarse with me once when a car wreck caused me to get to school late, and several times after when I needed to see him about calling home. I don't think the school system needs faculty with this type of attitude.
worried in Logan

United States

#5 Sep 13, 2008
My daughter had Mrs.Thompson in 2001, She was a honor student making F's in Mrs Thompson's class. I went to school and had a meeting with Mrs Thompson That did not go to good. She slammed her grade book closed and said THIS MEETING IS OVER. I said ," NO ! The meeting has just begun." I told her If she was notgoing to teach the class then I would be sitting in her class to see why my daughter was failing, She said," I will not allow that." She was very mad and so was I. To make a very long story short, by the next week my daughter was making A's in there and Mrs. Thompson was giving her extra credit to come in on her lunch break to tudor other students. NOW THIS YEAR my son had her. I again had to go to school. In front of Mr. Lucus she called me a lier and said the thing that happened in 2001 did not happen that I was exagerateing, but she did remember me from 2001 but not my daughter, she remembered me as the mom she could not talk to. I prefer to say the mom who was not going to let her get one on my daughter without a fight. This year I ended up having to take my son out of her class . It was not worth keeping him in it just be belittled and jumped on for everything he did. When I ask her to explain her examples slower so everyone in the room( all were complaining) she said my son was just to slow for the class. I also went to the boards office and yes the told me of many complaints But I could not stand alone. Parents UNITE it is time this stops.
omg

Clovis, NM

#6 Sep 13, 2008
thompson has always been like that and has been complained on for years since the 90's...and hanlon hes been hateful since he was at east.
LHS student

United States

#7 Sep 13, 2008
I had Mrs. Thompson for AII, hated every minute of it. She is a horrible teacher, and has been getting away with her horrible teaching for quite the while from what I hear. She has this very mean attitude toward anyone who doesn't get what she's saying.We'll be trying to learn and she'll yell "you should know this", or "you went over this last year!" when the way it looked, no one in the class had ever seen it.It is about time someone does something, its getting really ridiculous the way some teachers are treating and teaching there classes.
On the side of Mr. Hanlon, I agree with Logan Mom's quote... "What an asshole."
He has gotten on to me on many occasions about things that don't matter, such as hats or being in the middle of the hall, when there are people selling drugs on the bus out front or people getting bullied right behind him..... along with him being a complete douche when you come to him with a legitimate problem.

Something should be done, this stuff is getting stupid.
Lol

Kinston, NC

#8 Sep 13, 2008
So, I went to Logan High not too long ago. I had Mrs. Thompson for regular Algebra II in the 10th grade, and a few of my friends had her for the Honors side. Honestly, she was one of my favorite teachers. While I worried quite a bit about my grade at times, she had no problems with helping my friends and I, and she was probably one of my favorite teachers over there. I'm in college now, and I use skills Mrs. Thompson taught me every time I go into my math class. The only thing Mrs. Thompson would ever get mad at us for was if we didn't do our work. You that had the daughter in Mrs. Thompson's class in 2001, you sound exactly like one of these parents who think their kids can do no wrong and are perfect, and of course you ended up bailing your own lazy ass kid out. This is the last time I will visit this website, all it is is drama, so don't worry about starting an argument.
concerned

United States

#9 Sep 13, 2008
I agree with everyone!!!!What is soooooo sad about it all, is OUR tax dollars pay THEIR paydays and they act like they are doing us a favor. And as for Mr "Hot Head" Halin" he definitely needs a attitude adjustment and Im suprised that some parent hasnt done it yet. Althought Ive noticed that he is more attitude towards moms than dad. Hmmm wonder why???lol
lhs has problems

United States

#10 Sep 13, 2008
I'm gonna go a little further than just the teachers at Logan High School. It needs to start with the administration. The administration is an embarrassment.
Academics is not their top priority and everyone knows it. Sports is! They are rude and do not care about us kids unless we play sports.
You can't even talk to the principal about anything because that cheerleading coach is in his office all day long and she doesn't even work at the school.
I agree with LHS student, they turn their heads to the real problems. That's why our school is such a mess.
worried in Logan

United States

#11 Sep 13, 2008
I never bailed out my daughter,, she started making A's the following week and was ask to tudor the failing students the following week. GUES YOU NEVER TOOK THE TIME TO READ IT...I guess She never taught you how to finish reading. My daughter went to college and now has a great job but Mrs Thompson is not responsible for any of it.
It is idiots like you who use tax payers dollars to be a student for as many years as you can then end up working at walmarts. Learn to read.
Lol wrote:
So, I went to Logan High not too long ago. I had Mrs. Thompson for regular Algebra II in the 10th grade, and a few of my friends had her for the Honors side. Honestly, she was one of my favorite teachers. While I worried quite a bit about my grade at times, she had no problems with helping my friends and I, and she was probably one of my favorite teachers over there. I'm in college now, and I use skills Mrs. Thompson taught me every time I go into my math class. The only thing Mrs. Thompson would ever get mad at us for was if we didn't do our work. You that had the daughter in Mrs. Thompson's class in 2001, you sound exactly like one of these parents who think their kids can do no wrong and are perfect, and of course you ended up bailing your own lazy ass kid out. This is the last time I will visit this website, all it is is drama, so don't worry about starting an argument.
Math Geek

United States

#12 Sep 13, 2008
I had Mrs Thompson for Algebra II in the mid '90s. I do agree that she lacks a little in the personality department. However, as a teacher, she was great! She started a great foundation for what I learned later on in math. Kids who do poorly in her class have been used to the real easy teachers and have slid by for years before they reach her. She doesn't put up with all the whining, and she shouldn't. She isn't, nor are any other teachers, there to be "liked" by the kids or their parents. They are there to prepare the kids for college and the real world. When your kid gets fired from their job are you going to go down and talk with their boss to get their jobs back???? WAKE UP parents!!! Your kids are complaining about a mean teacher because they are actually having to "earn" their A's for a change!
Former LHS student

Albany, NY

#13 Sep 13, 2008
Nothing Mrs. Thompson taught me prepared me for college. I made the grade in that class because I had to learn how to teach myself how to do math. She didn't teach, she put one example on the board and made us feel ignorant if we didn't know how to do it from one quick example. I'm fully aware that teachers aren't there to be liked but they ARE there to teach, and they DEFINITELY should not make a student feel belittled just because they don't instantly grasp new concepts.
On another note, I've noticed no one has contradicted the fact that Mr. Hanlon is an incompetent, hot-headed, faculty member.
Just Saying

Hinesville, GA

#14 Sep 13, 2008
Math Geek wrote:
I had Mrs Thompson for Algebra II in the mid '90s. I do agree that she lacks a little in the personality department. However, as a teacher, she was great! She started a great foundation for what I learned later on in math. Kids who do poorly in her class have been used to the real easy teachers and have slid by for years before they reach her. She doesn't put up with all the whining, and she shouldn't. She isn't, nor are any other teachers, there to be "liked" by the kids or their parents. They are there to prepare the kids for college and the real world. When your kid gets fired from their job are you going to go down and talk with their boss to get their jobs back???? WAKE UP parents!!! Your kids are complaining about a mean teacher because they are actually having to "earn" their A's for a change!
I also had her in the mid '90's and would hardly call myself a person who was used to the real easy teachers...I carried a 3.9 GPA and never had an easy teacher. I think that the parents do need to be involved and should know what the teachers are doing and saying to these students. I wouldn't talk to a dog the way that she spoke to some of those studetns, and she does get PAID TO TEACH, not berate.
Ewwwwwww

Byesville, OH

#15 Sep 14, 2008
Have some of the kids to take mirco recorders to this class and ask a few questions. Then take the tapes to the board, newspapers, tv news channels, its not right that our kids can not learn because they are not being taught right. I have been out of school since '95 and I loved school until I had teachers that were to lazy to teach and felt the need to harrase and embarrase the kids that had problems understanding what was being taught.
Just saying

United States

#16 Sep 14, 2008
Be careful of recording individuals with audio or video devices. I am not sure what the rules are on that matter, but it can lead to trouble if you don't know if it is legal or not.

I know you can not record students without parents permission, and if you try recording a teacher, you are sure to get some students on tape as well.
spy

Clovis, NM

#17 Sep 14, 2008
not if your taking a recorder to record your teacher for educational purposes...hint hint
no doubt

United States

#18 Sep 17, 2008
worried in Logan wrote:
My daughter had Mrs.Thompson in 2001, She was a honor student making F's in Mrs Thompson's class. I went to school and had a meeting with Mrs Thompson That did not go to good. She slammed her grade book closed and said THIS MEETING IS OVER. I said ," NO ! The meeting has just begun." I told her If she was notgoing to teach the class then I would be sitting in her class to see why my daughter was failing, She said," I will not allow that." She was very mad and so was I. To make a very long story short, by the next week my daughter was making A's in there and Mrs. Thompson was giving her extra credit to come in on her lunch break to tudor other students. NOW THIS YEAR my son had her. I again had to go to school. In front of Mr. Lucus she called me a lier and said the thing that happened in 2001 did not happen that I was exagerateing, but she did remember me from 2001 but not my daughter, she remembered me as the mom she could not talk to. I prefer to say the mom who was not going to let her get one on my daughter without a fight. This year I ended up having to take my son out of her class . It was not worth keeping him in it just be belittled and jumped on for everything he did. When I ask her to explain her examples slower so everyone in the room( all were complaining) she said my son was just to slow for the class. I also went to the boards office and yes the told me of many complaints But I could not stand alone. Parents UNITE it is time this stops.
I was fortunate to have Mrs. Thompson two years in a row, lol(notice the sarcasm)... I know one guy had her three years in a row for Algebra II... The first year I had her she said I had to make an 85 or better to pass her class on the final, well I made an 84! and she said, "sorry, you didnt pass(with the smuggest look, she wanted me to fail, she wanted me to have to take it over), and you'll have to take it over next year." One lousy point separated me from moving onto Trig the next year... Like one point was going to prove if I really new my Alg. 2 or not... She's in it for herself and her only. Yeah, there might be a few exceptions like the one from OK that commented who is obvisouly brainwashed, but 99% of the time people didn't like her and vice versa. Her and her "good buddy" Mrs. Ooten always tried to out do each other and see who could be the biggest bitch in the school. I'm pretty sure they always pointed out the ones they didn't like and said, "They'll be back next year." Haha

Long story short, I came back the next year in the 2nd semester the one I failed the year before and made a B... That semester I took no trash off her and actually told her how it was going to be.
haha

Clovis, NM

#19 Sep 17, 2008
mr carroll the computer teacher is a joke....and a major smart ass
Worried in Logan

United States

#20 Sep 17, 2008
LOL..LOL.. I am hoping the school board will realize how she is and put a stop to her OR AT LEAST make her teach her class responsibly as she should be doing.. At this point I just wish some did have the guts to smack her..
These students are intimidated by her and afraid of the dean. I have come to the decision they are going to stick together and the kids do not have a chance.. NOT FAIR I KNOW but till parents CARE about their kids and ban together she will win..
no doubt wrote:
<quoted text>
I was fortunate to have Mrs. Thompson two years in a row, lol(notice the sarcasm)... I know one guy had her three years in a row for Algebra II... The first year I had her she said I had to make an 85 or better to pass her class on the final, well I made an 84! and she said, "sorry, you didnt pass(with the smuggest look, she wanted me to fail, she wanted me to have to take it over), and you'll have to take it over next year." One lousy point separated me from moving onto Trig the next year... Like one point was going to prove if I really new my Alg. 2 or not... She's in it for herself and her only. Yeah, there might be a few exceptions like the one from OK that commented who is obvisouly brainwashed, but 99% of the time people didn't like her and vice versa. Her and her "good buddy" Mrs. Ooten always tried to out do each other and see who could be the biggest bitch in the school. I'm pretty sure they always pointed out the ones they didn't like and said, "They'll be back next year." Haha
Long story short, I came back the next year in the 2nd semester the one I failed the year before and made a B... That semester I took no trash off her and actually told her how it was going to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Logan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drop a word/add a word (Jan '10) 3 hr Princess Hey 12,644
Adam hall Danny castle (Jan '14) 3 hr your stupid 11
indictments 4 hr Just curious 1
Life like adult dolls, would you try one? 6 hr mia 2
anybody know amber jute? (Jul '11) 7 hr Neighborhood watch 12
Does anyone know Ricky e Matthews jr from man 7 hr he ate me 7
Umwa in time of need 8 hr X-Miner 5
Bob Stidham For Mayor Sun Tom 48
Logan Dating
Find my Match