Firefighter Charged With Drunken Driv...

Firefighter Charged With Drunken Driving, Leading Trooper On Chase | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 144 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jan 26, 2011, titled Firefighter Charged With Drunken Driving, Leading Trooper On Chase | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

A Columbus firefighter was arrested this week and was charged with drunken driving and leading an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper on a small chase.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

Jill from Pleasantville

Columbus, OH

#84 Jan 26, 2011
He done the crime he needs to serve the time. The Columbus Fire Department will decide what to do about his job. He could have killed my grandchildren, my children or other loved ones. I feel sorry for his children for having it on T.V. they are not responsible for there father's actions. He should have gotten help after the first DUI, and there never would have been a second. I support M.A.D.D. and and maybe Jeremy should attend some of there meetings.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Former Bremen Resident

Columbus, OH

#85 Jan 26, 2011
Berne Station is not responsible for how much Jermey drinks when he is there. If he had friends he could have called them, however being a drunk makes for fewer and fewer friends, since people seem to drop drunk friends. I hope he gets everything he deserves, just glad he did not kill anyone. Way to go Eagle Gazette for missing this.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Throw him in JAIL

Columbus, OH

#86 Jan 26, 2011
Can I say anything else, he has totalled trucks, he has totalled his Harley. Gee, could this have been from drinking? Ya Think!!! THROW HIM IN JAIL Know the butt, he deserves what he gets.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jail time YEP

Columbus, OH

#87 Jan 26, 2011
Lock him up.....Dry him out, make him get help. If he killed one of your family members you would feel the same. Let us Thank GOD he did not take a life, what would Columbus Fire Department say then. They are not responsible for his action. I think his 13 years as a firefighter is over.
Shark

United States

#88 Jan 26, 2011
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the union will protect him and he WILL keep his job. I know a Columbus fireman/paramedic that also drove the trucks that was high on perocet 3 that he crushed and snorted on the job and was stealing morphine. He also came to work more than once drunk, and was allowed to "sleep it off". His superiors knew about it, and allowed it to happen. When he was reported the union and his superiors agreed that if he did a 3 day rehab that all would be forgotten, and nothing would be in his file. He is now taking the Lt. exam, and will soon be promoted. Makes you wonder who's really protecting us doesn't it?
I gotta call BS on this story...gimme the guys intitials.
Lover of Tabos

Columbus, OH

#89 Jan 26, 2011
If it made the news everytime a person got a DUI, the news would never end. It is sad that this is getting so much media attention. I wish the media stop trying to create a story when I am sure there is something more newsworthy out there to report on. Shame on the media and shame on all the judgemental a-holes out there that have developed an opinion based on some dumb reporter's account of events.
Response

Columbus, OH

#90 Jan 26, 2011
Lover of Tabos wrote:
If it made the news everytime a person got a DUI, the news would never end. It is sad that this is getting so much media attention. I wish the media stop trying to create a story when I am sure there is something more newsworthy out there to report on. Shame on the media and shame on all the judgemental a-holes out there that have developed an opinion based on some dumb reporter's account of events.
All judgemental a-holes - Does that make me one, I personally know this butt hole, and he is a drunk. Has wreck trucks, cars, motorcycles and such all drinking. He has a problem,he dated my daughter several years ago and blacked and blued me when I went over to give her news about her daughter. Then he filed a Restraining order against me. So JUDGEMENTAL I am I deserve the right.
Have met many Firemen

Columbus, OH

#91 Jan 26, 2011
Have done marketing in Columbus and met many a Columbus Fireman. Most are decent, good, family men, and do a great serve to the community. It is a shame that some get judged by one.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Deputy Fairfield County

Columbus, OH

#92 Jan 26, 2011
We in the Fire and Law Enforcement field should be held to a higher standard. We are the protectors and the enforcers of the laws. An officer with the Lancaster Police Deprtment was recently arrested by The State Highway Patrol for OMVI. He stopped his car, did all that the trooper asked him too, went to court and pled guilty. He took his lumps like a man. Realizing he made a mistake and excepting it. He didn't run. It shows the character of Jeremy Winegardner that he chose to run, leave his wife in the car and hide in the house. He deserves no sympathy. He chose his job, he knew the consequences for an OMVI and yet thru the years he has continued to drink and drive. He has wrecked many vehicles and a motorcycle. This isn't the first time Law Enforcement has been called to his home and most have involved him consuming alcohol. He deserves to lose his job, he deserves to spend time in jail and he deserves no sympathy. He is a grown man and made the choices that he has.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Lover of Tabos

Columbus, OH

#93 Jan 27, 2011
He got a restraining order against you. Sounds like more to the story than you are telling.
Response wrote:
<quoted text>
All judgemental a-holes - Does that make me one, I personally know this butt hole, and he is a drunk. Has wreck trucks, cars, motorcycles and such all drinking. He has a problem,he dated my daughter several years ago and blacked and blued me when I went over to give her news about her daughter. Then he filed a Restraining order against me. So JUDGEMENTAL I am I deserve the right.
GTFO

Bowling Green, OH

#94 Jan 27, 2011
Deputy Fairfield County wrote:
We in the Fire and Law Enforcement field should be held to a higher standard. We are the protectors and the enforcers of the laws. An officer with the Lancaster Police Deprtment was recently arrested by The State Highway Patrol for OMVI. He stopped his car, did all that the trooper asked him too, went to court and pled guilty. He took his lumps like a man. Realizing he made a mistake and excepting it. He didn't run. It shows the character of Jeremy Winegardner that he chose to run, leave his wife in the car and hide in the house. He deserves no sympathy. He chose his job, he knew the consequences for an OMVI and yet thru the years he has continued to drink and drive. He has wrecked many vehicles and a motorcycle. This isn't the first time Law Enforcement has been called to his home and most have involved him consuming alcohol. He deserves to lose his job, he deserves to spend time in jail and he deserves no sympathy. He is a grown man and made the choices that he has.
nice to see someone posting with some thought and clarity. sounds like this guy is well known for being what a habitual offender. what a loser. stay safe deputy.
firemans daughter

Yonkers, NY

#95 Jan 27, 2011
Response wrote:
<quoted text>
We filed a restraining order against you because you broke into our house, and threatened us! Don't bring sh!t from the past in. Yes you are judgemental. You do not personally know him, you no nothing! "lover of tobas" and I know him more than any of you judgmental a**holes. So drop it and mind your own f'n business. Judge and ye shall be judged, and while your burning in Hell no fireman will save you.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Right back at ya

Columbus, OH

#96 Jan 27, 2011
Lover of Tabos wrote:
He got a restraining order against you. Sounds like more to the story than you are telling.
<quoted text>
The law always appears to be on his side, let's see if he continues to be so lucky.
Google Winegardner and see how many great life saving stories there are... Kylie's in prison for drugs and theft, multiple DUI's in the family, drug and alcohol problems is all I find. Firefighter got a restraining order... who'd he blow???
get over it

Yonkers, NY

#97 Jan 27, 2011
Why don't you all get your heads out of your asses and find out how many people this man has saved! What he's been honored for. What he has had to see, that most of you choose to ignore and live your life ignorant to how cruel this world really is.
WE PAYnALLOW IT 2 B DONE

Columbus, OH

#98 Jan 27, 2011
One day we will all be judged, what anyone on this earth thinks of another is nothing compared to the final judgment.
What are we citizens doing to make sure that those who WE are paying to uphold the law, do just that?
What are WE doing as citizens to make sure that ANYONE with "issues" are not put in positions that could that allow them to cause harm?
Citizens should be taking action to have laws put in place that prevent ANY OFFICIAL BEING PAID BY OUR TAX DOLLARS HELD ACCOUNTABLE.
The lack of accountability falls on the tax payers laps. CITIZENS NEED TO STAND UP, TAKE ACTION AND QUIT ALLOWING OUR TAX DOLLARS PAY EMPLOYEES TO CRAP IN TAX PAYERS LAPS!!
"This man" (could be anyone who holds a public paid position) has been allowed to be given preferential treatment BY CITIZENS!
Man UP

Hilliard, OH

#99 Jan 27, 2011
get over it wrote:
Why don't you all get your heads out of your asses and find out how many people this man has saved! What he's been honored for. What he has had to see, that most of you choose to ignore and live your life ignorant to how cruel this world really is.
I don't think anyone has questioned his ability as a medic or firefighter. You seem to be missing the point. He, as someone trained to save lives, knowingly and willing put other peoples lives at risk.
Pleasantville

Dublin, OH

#100 Jan 28, 2011
firemans daughter wrote:
<quoted text>
We filed a restraining order against you because you broke into our house, and threatened us! Don't bring **** from the past in. Yes you are judgemental. You do not personally know him, you no nothing! "lover of tobas" and I know him more than any of you judgmental **** holes. So drop it and mind your own f'n business. Judge and ye shall be judged, and while your burning in Hell no fireman will save you.
Knocking on your door is not breaking in. As a child your memory is what your father wanted it to be. You in your heart know he needs help. Maybe this incident will make him finally get it. Anger Management might also be helpful. I thank GOD everyday my daughter and grandchildren survived him.
WillNeverLearn

United States

#101 Jan 28, 2011
WoW____ wrote:
Oh wow! We firefighters are normal people as well, BUT unfortunately we pull dead children and adults out of cars/fires/streets etc. We see more than we ever want to but we do the job because we care about YOU and YOUR families as well! And GTFO, they get paid for 20 of their 24 hour shift and most shifts have an average of 17 medic runs, 14 false alarms, and 4-9 actual emergency runs. THere for a normal ( and I use normal very lax ) run take approx 1.25 hours. Then you clean and stock your rig another 45 minutes. so there's 2 hours give or take on that some are longer or vice versa depends on the call. I am so glad that most of you here are Jesus! Because no ONE is perfect. The mirror can show true faces. WHy don't you goto your local fire department and ask them the training it takes to ensure we provide the BEST care to you and your families!!!
All the more reason not to drink and drive. Pulling dead children and adults out of cars etc. Are you missing the point? It is not whether he is good at his job, how many runs or how many hours it takes per run. I have
a stressful job too and I don't have a problem with anyone drinking but if I am going to be out drinking, I DON'T DRIVE! I don't need to go to my local fire department and ask how much training it takes, that is what you are paid to do, I sure as **** hope you have the proper training. It doesn't mean you deserve special treatment
A firemans wife

Pickerington, OH

#102 Jan 28, 2011
Everyone needs to leave well enough alone! Does Jeremy need help, YES! Rehab would be a good start. Obviously he has a problem with alcohol, as do about half of the firefighters on Columbus.(I could start giving a list of names, but I bet those people don't want that thrown in their face.) Jeremy worked at what I believe was the 3rd busiest station in Columbus, taking an average of 23 runs in 24 hours. He rode the medic every single day, 24 hours a day, in a horrible part of town taking runs while having cockroaches and rats crawl all over him, having to pick up pieces of dead people, having people spit on him, and scream at you, having to take scumbags and 13 year old pregnant girls to the hospital because their families doesn't own cars, etc... He has done this every 3rd day for YEARS, never getting a break from the medic. For all those throwing stones, I bet none of you deal with this much drama in your whole life, the medics at his station deal with it EVERY DAY! The stress of this job is unbelievable, and kudo's to the men and women who do it every day.
As for the people who think firefighters should lose their job after the first OMVI offence, GET A LIFE! Do you know how many captains, officers, and firefighters have not just one, but TWO OMVI offences? They would have to fire the whole department!
And just so everyone knows, a 2 unit Chief from Columbus called the sheriff's office during the whole ordeal and told them to give Jeremy a break. THAT is why the police left the scene.

And for anyone who hasn't dealt with alcoholism, it is a conniving disease that shows no sympathy for its user. Maybe you should increase your knowledge on alcoholism, and try to help these people instead of hurting them further.

He was also on his street when he got pulled over, that's not much of a police chase!!!! He was impared and scared, and made an irrational decision.

Please, for all the uneducated people, lets not hurt him any further. Wouldn't you like someone to help you if you made a bad choice in life, as we all have made many bad choices. But we have been lucky and have been able to keep our mistakes for these things private.
WE PAYnALLOW IT 2 B DONE

Columbus, OH

#103 Jan 28, 2011
why are people feeling the need to defend this mans character from people who have no right to judge anyone?

Why arn't these peoples ("these peoples" defined as anyone receiving tax dollars as a pay check) employers ("employers" defined as anyone paying taxes) making sure they hire qualified capable and stable employees?

WE ARE ALL ENABLING THIS CORRUPTION AND WE SHOULD ALL BE AT THE COUNTY, CITY, AND STATE BUILDINGS, ATTENDING MEETINGS, GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING INVOLVED IN OUR COMMUNITY.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Logan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John Corby died Jan 20. 2018 10 min They cannot kill ... 17
Remember the MILLION WOMAN MARCH ???? 52 min They cannot kill ... 3
T Minus 4 3 2 1 ,,,, | Mueller Gone! 1 hr 404 not found 138
Republicans: Shut Down Gov't, Cover some Tax Re... 2 hr lol 2
Trump BALD HEAD 3 hr 404 not found 189
Wonder what Martin Luther King would've thought... 3 hr Lol 4
AEP silences #MeToo complaint 4 hr Just_B_N_Me 41

Logan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance