Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Read more
Zak

Columbus, OH

#2382 Jul 14, 2012
greg wrote:
Ihave a 2006 malibu 32000 miles,the steering has a clunk noise as you turn the wheel.Also there is a pesky rattle noise that sounds as though it coming from the window.Has anyone noticed either of these issues.
No I haven't noticed either issue but that's because I haven't been in your car.
Zak

Columbus, OH

#2383 Jul 14, 2012
Bryan wrote:
I have a 1998 Malibu V6. The problem is I am not getting fire. The car has gas, the timing belt has been changed and the feul pump. The car will turn over but not start.
If your car doesn't start sitting upright, turning it over isn't going to make a difference. Pour some gas in the trunk and then toss in a lit match. You will have fire.
Nick

United States

#2384 Jul 15, 2012
2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx, the vacuum line that runs left to right behind the engine then hooks in to the right side of the engine is broken, what does this vacuum do, how serious of a problem is it?
zak

United States

#2385 Jul 16, 2012
Paul wrote:
I have a 99 malibu with intermittent accleration problem
Anytime you encounter intermittent acceleration, pull over at the earliest opportunity, stop, place transmission in "park", turn off the vehicle, remove key, roll up all windows, exit the vehicle (along with any passengers), and lock the doors. This procedure is guaranteed to eliminate the intermittent acceleration problem.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2386 Jul 16, 2012
zak wrote:
<quoted text>
Anytime you encounter intermittent acceleration, pull over at the earliest opportunity, stop, place transmission in "park", turn off the vehicle, remove key, roll up all windows, exit the vehicle (along with any passengers), and lock the doors. This procedure is guaranteed to eliminate the intermittent acceleration problem.
NOTE: If you have power windows, you of course will need to roll them up before turning off the vehicle and removing the key.
tiffany

Columbus, OH

#2387 Jul 19, 2012
have a 2003 chevy malibu and the light on my clock and mile indicator thing doesnt go off when i turn the car off...
Bob

Columbus, OH

#2388 Jul 19, 2012
tiffany wrote:
have a 2003 chevy malibu and the light on my clock and mile indicator thing doesnt go off when i turn the car off...
Many 1990 and later GM vehicles have a courtesy feature that allows accessories such as the radio/stereo to continue operating and items such as the clock, odometer, etc. to remain illuminated for approximately 15 minutes after turning the vehicle off even with the key removed from the ignition. If you open the driver's door at any time during the 15 minute depay, everything should turn off.
Bob

Columbus, OH

#2389 Jul 19, 2012
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Many 1990 and later GM vehicles have a courtesy feature that allows accessories such as the radio/stereo to continue operating and items such as the clock, odometer, etc. to remain illuminated for approximately 15 minutes after turning the vehicle off even with the key removed from the ignition. If you open the driver's door at any time during the 15 minute depay, everything should turn off.
^^^15 minute DELAY not depay^^^
David

Brooklyn, NY

#2390 Jul 26, 2012
My friend's 1998 Malibu's headlights are on all of the time! Any suggestions?
Liz

Augusta, GA

#2391 Jul 31, 2012
I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu, sometimes, not all the time, when I go to start it, it has trouble, until I accelerate on the gast, then the engine finally turns over. Doesn't do this all the time, though. What's the problem?
zak

Columbus, OH

#2393 Aug 8, 2012
David wrote:
My friend's 1998 Malibu's headlights are on all of the time! Any suggestions?
Have your friend invest in a set of high quality jumper cables.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2394 Aug 8, 2012
Liz wrote:
I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu, sometimes, not all the time, when I go to start it, it has trouble, until I accelerate on the gast, then the engine finally turns over. Doesn't do this all the time, though. What's the problem?
Whenever you experience the starting problem you described, stop immediately and perform the following steps in sequence:

1. Remove the key from the ignition

2. Exit the car

3. Walk away from the car

4. Use plenty of vulgar adjectives and colorful metaphors while cussing General Motors for making such a piece of sh!t
zak

Columbus, OH

#2395 Aug 8, 2012
Prince wrote:
my chevy malibu 2006 could not crank after replacing the battery. please help me with the solution
Since the cranking problem started after replacing the battery, remove the new battery and re-install the old one.
nyree

Broomfield, CO

#2397 Aug 23, 2012
I am about to buy a chevy malibu maxx 04, and i just want to make sure i am getting into a reliable car....anyone?
Jon

Columbus, OH

#2398 Aug 23, 2012
nyree wrote:
I am about to buy a chevy malibu maxx 04, and i just want to make sure i am getting into a reliable car....anyone?
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/malibu-maxx/...
chevy malibu 2001

Saint Kitts and Nevis

#2399 Aug 24, 2012
why is the lights on my chevy malibu 2001 gear shifter doesnt work and is there a fuse just for the gear shifter lights?
doobie

Columbus, OH

#2400 Aug 24, 2012
nyree wrote:
Only the owner of the specific Malibu Maxx you're about to buy can confirm how reliable it is.
Pedro

Columbus, OH

#2401 Aug 24, 2012
chevy malibu 2001 wrote:
why is the lights on my chevy malibu 2001 gear shifter doesnt work and is there a fuse just for the gear shifter lights?
Da gear shifter lights doesn't work because they eez broked. Da fuse be located in da fuse box and eez marked "gear shifter lights".
Lisa

Las Vegas, NV

#2402 Aug 30, 2012
I own a 2005 chevy Malibu and it has been a pretty good car except for several reoccuring issues. The electrical issue with the turn signals and the electrical harness that you plug the light bulb into has now given up the ghost. Very irritating. Also we are on our second exhaust manifold and wonder if we should go with an aftermarket one this time. The catalytic converter is part of the manifold and it is a very expensive part that doesn't seem to be worth its salt if you replace it with the original dealer part....can anyone give me some suggestions.
Doug

Columbus, OH

#2403 Aug 30, 2012
Catalytic converters should last on average 100,000 miles or 10 years. Before replacing yours for a second time, may I suggest reviewing the following link for possible conditions leading to premature failure:

http://topgearltd.wrytestuff.com/swa32557.htm

I would definitely recommend going with an aftermarket exhaust and converter. You can save money buy purchasing a converter that is NOT designed to meet California emissions requirements which are only required for vehicles registered in California. A decent aftermarket converter can be had for around $100. I would also avoid using GM delaerships or national muffler chains... instead, get quotes from locally-owned private muffler shops and reputable mechanics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Logan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crossville, TN Topix moderators are deleting Co... 57 min Independent1 26
Easter represents the Resurrection of Jesus Chr... 2 hr wwjd 1
Jesus Christ King of Kings Lord of Lord's 2 hr wwjd 47
News Same-sex couple turned away by small business i... 2 hr bill 209
I found Duke!!!!! 3 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 135
News Rolling Stones announce stadium tour, Columbus ... 3 hr Duke for Mayor 8
Michelle Obama ‘Jeopardy’ appearance prompts ha... 3 hr They cannot kill ... 11
Logan Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web