Truck stuck in Lodi
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brooke

Greenville, NC

#1 Aug 9, 2009
Does anyone remember that overweight truck that got stuck in Lodi back in the 80s? My Dad wants an article on it and I cannot find anything! Please help if you can!
Jim

Avondale, AZ

#2 Jan 21, 2010
I remember it too and was searching for details when I found your comment.

Seems it was over 100,000 pounds - some kind of steel press - and they had to bring in a second truck just to get it up the ramp to weigh it.
jyc62727

Youngstown, OH

#3 Jun 9, 2010
it was moving at night becauce of the wieght. when it got pulled over it sat in the Hob Nob truck stop for a few days before it could be moved
Gonzo

United States

#4 Jun 12, 2010
I read a story on it too.. It was a "Ajax upsetter" that they were trying to move. It was so overweight that when they tried to weigh it the portable scale broke twice! It sat for months and became a landmark in Lodi for quite some time..

State engineers had to come out to see what damage it caused the roadbed. It was eventually loaded onto another truck and brought to the railroad tracks in town where they had to load it onto a heavy duty flatcar.

They had T-shirts made up with pictures of the upsetter on the front. The rigging company used them as a sort of badge of pride for doing the job.. The guy that hauled the load.. He was fined but, this wasn't the first time he had attempted somthing like this, I heard he was put out of business, but just re-opened under a different name.

The upsetter was somthing used in the manafacturing of M-60 main battle tanks if memory serves me correctly. Weights varry as to how much it weighed.. They could only guess in the end as to how much it weighed. It maxed out every scale brought in..
Gonzo

United States

#5 Jun 12, 2010
I've looked high and low for a artical on this incident too.. My dispatcher showed me a old worn out magazine artical in his desk on this.. I have yet to see the artical again though I have searched all over for one.
Deb

Uniontown, OH

#6 Jul 12, 2010
I used to have the article on the "big truck" incident because my oldest daughter thought it was cool. I would have to look through my memorabilia to see if I still have it.

It was a sight to behold. They had it sitting behind the gas station for a long time till they were finally able to transport it to the railroad for further travel.
Shelly

Orange Park, FL

#7 Aug 11, 2010
I remember this well. This made the Reader's Digest. I believe I have the Readear's Digest in storage somewhere. I did not get a T-Shirt, but I did obtain a matchbook from the Hob-Nob if my memory is correct regarding the "big truck". Not sure how to post it but will try once I locate it.
Jim

United States

#8 Apr 24, 2011
Yes, this truck's story did make the Readers Digest. Medina County Sheriff's Dept. kept it impounded, until the US Govt. stepped in and ordered it moved to it's destination. Adkins of Indiana was the trucking company hauling it when caught, and A of I has since gone out of business.
Weight estimates of the machine were in the 200-250 ton range, but no one knew for sure. I was in the Marine Corps at the time, and had just returned to duty from taking leave at home, when this truck/load was caught.(fall of 1984) I came home on leave again in the early spring the next year and it was still at the Hob Nob, and it's wheels were actually settling into the pavement by that time. My parents actually wrote me a letter telling me about this,and was surprised myself to find it still impounded.
loneangel52

United States

#9 Jun 6, 2011
Brooke wrote:
Does anyone remember that overweight truck that got stuck in Lodi back in the 80s? My Dad wants an article on it and I cannot find anything! Please help if you can!
I can possibly help. The Deputy Sheriff that weighed the massive load is a personal friend of mine.
loneangel52

United States

#10 Jun 6, 2011
Jim wrote:
Seems it was over 100,000 pounds - some kind of steel press - and they had to bring in a second truck just to get it up the ramp to weigh it.
It weighed in at approximately 449,000lbs
loneangel52

United States

#11 Jun 6, 2011
Jim wrote:
Yes, this truck's story did make the Readers Digest. Medina County Sheriff's Dept. kept it impounded, until the US Govt. stepped in and ordered it moved to it's destination. Adkins of Indiana was the trucking company hauling it when caught, and A of I has since gone out of business.
Weight estimates of the machine were in the 200-250 ton range, but no one knew for sure. I was in the Marine Corps at the time, and had just returned to duty from taking leave at home, when this truck/load was caught.(fall of 1984) I came home on leave again in the early spring the next year and it was still at the Hob Nob, and it's wheels were actually settling into the pavement by that time. My parents actually wrote me a letter telling me about this,and was surprised myself to find it still impounded.
The 449,000lb goliath was loaded on a thirteen hydraulic axle trailer with the weight distributed evenly among the 104 wheels and taken one and a quarter miles up Bank Street to be put on the double axled railcar.
leo

Mansfield, OH

#12 Jun 23, 2011
Jim wrote:
readers digest carried it, also ohio magazine, check archives. my brother in law was the deputy that nailed it, he ran the portable scales in medina at that time
leo

Mansfield, OH

#13 Jun 23, 2011
readers digest carried it, also ohio magazine, check archives. my brother in law was the deputy that nailed it, he ran the portable scales in medina at that time
JON F150

United States

#14 Sep 18, 2011
It was in the ohio maganize so time in the 80.
davesss

Akron, OH

#15 Mar 25, 2012
Friday March Pat Geisler metro editor ocal and Section B Deaths Folk down Lodi way won't likely forget the BIG load By SCOTT STEPHENS C-T Staff Writer LODI Most folks were talking about the Big Load at lunch Thursday inside the Hob Nob Restaurant The Hob Nob is a friendly little place on Route 421 about a mile from the old railroad station where the Big Load is parked now The Big in fact has dominated most conversation among locals and strangers at the restaurant since it came to this Medina County town of people last November and was parked by the Hob Nob Grab a cup of coffee and maybe a piece of cream pie and you can hear folks asking about it It was a familiar sight for until it was moved Thursday IT REALLY picked up ness for us this said Arnold Wacker owner of the Hob Nob That's usually our slow time Everyone who came in here was talking about it and wanted to see it Some of them bought a One Big Truck I Saw baseball cap for or T-shirt for commemorating the visit to see the Big Load We started by ordering 50 shirts for the local people just to have fun Wacker said It got so popular we had 600 made There are very few left That's probably for the best because the Big Load is finally scheduled to leave town either today or Saturday By the end of the week Lodi's biggest tourist attraction will be on the Norfolk and Western tracks chugging its way to Portland Indiana THE BIG as it is called is actually a thing called an Ajax Upsetter a forging machine used to make parts for tanks and fighter planes Medina County Sheriff's deputies ped the tractor-trailer carrying the machine along a Harrison Township road on Nov 21 They suspected it weighed more than the pounds allowed to move over state highways They were right At pounds it was times heavier than it should have been easily the biggest overload in state history I think they wanted to take it on Route 224 a direct route out of the Glenn Meek of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio said Thursday They were supposed to load it on the railroad in the first place but I guess they thought they'd sneak it through The they Meek referred to is A of I Trucking which was hired by Portland Forge in Indiana to move its Ajax from Canton to Portland The ing firm Meek said has a history of numerous illegal transports A of I paid a fine for the Ajax caper he said THE LOAD was parked about 100 yards from the Hob Nob where it remained until day morning when it was moved about a mile down the road to the old railroad station Work began in the afternoon to transfer the load to the bed rail car that will take it to Indiana Portland Forge is ing for the move THE BIG LOAD pounds of it had to be moved with a flatbed track to a nearby railway station where it was sent to Indiana by rail
Jann

Medina, OH

#16 Dec 8, 2013
I read the article in jr. high. the total weight of the rig was 485,000 lbs and they haed to bring in portable scales from multiple counties.
Denise

Twinsburg, OH

#17 Dec 18, 2013
This makes me smile! My dad is Arnold Wacker, owner of the Hob Nob restaurant at the time, and I remember it well. I think he still has a couple of the t-shirts.
Shelly

Middleburg, FL

#18 Dec 19, 2013
Denise wrote:
This makes me smile! My dad is Arnold Wacker, owner of the Hob Nob restaurant at the time, and I remember it well. I think he still has a couple of the t-shirts.
Brings back lots of memories. I grew up In the area. Great to see a new post. I will be in Lodi for Christmas and always loved eating breakfast at Hob Nob. Hope to eat there again if still open.
Jim m

United States

#19 Mar 9, 2014
A former driver of mine was driving that truck hauling the press the trucking company was Atkins a& i out of Indiana there is a readers digest story I believe it was titled heavy dinosaur or something like that!!!!
spacer

United States

#20 Mar 21, 2014
To JimM. If your former driver was Vinnie then your right. Bobby G.was pushing.The fine was around $14,000 (pretty cheep for 476,000# overweight) And as for putting A of I out of business, that SKYROCKETED Melvin's business after that. Funny how imaginations whack a story out of shape.And bye the way, that was the 3rd piece being moved. 2 of them got delivered from Canton Oh. to Portland, Ind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lodi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rib Fest cookin' up 10th year May '16 cm punk 1
Edgar A . Poe (Jul '15) Feb '16 Eapoe 5
News Teens flee the scene when owner finds them in g... (Sep '09) Feb '15 Michael 2
Review: Allison Carole Storage (Jan '15) Jan '15 Rusty C 2
Review: Audio Quake Car Audio Accessories (Dec '14) Dec '14 brazisjr-75 1
News West Salem woman admits to theft from district ... (Mar '14) Nov '14 Canaan_Twp_Girl 11
News Lorrie Pratt, Creston woman, reported missing (Oct '14) Oct '14 Bonnie 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lodi Mortgages