fairmont sd 89
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL

Mission Hills, CA

#1 May 26, 2008
Their is concern about the education of the children in SD 89. This concern comes from the community, and not the board of education or the adiministration. The media (several print reporters and editors)have been informed of the situation at Fairmont. All has fallen on deaf ears. Maybe Ms Madiagan, at the Attorney Generals office will give the situation a look. She did get involved in District 122 in New Lenox. Fairmont definitely needs a look.
Concerned parent

Midlothian, IL

#2 May 27, 2008
I have 2 children who attend this school. It is horrible! Thank goodness one is now moving on to high school after 3 years of this h**l hole. Hopefully my youngest will be attending one of the Catholic Schools in the area next year. I would give anything to have them back in Tinley. The teachers doesn't care, the admin office doesn't care. All they want to do is move them on. One teacher confided to me that they were ordered to not give homework on certain days so that there is a better chance of them passing their classes. It is a zoo and not to be rude, it is very racial orientated. I have tried speaking with the principle about this on numerous occasions and she would get so mad that I couldn't understand a word she said. This is the kind of school that has in the past sent the white children out of the classroom so that they could 'teach' about racism and how they are being suppressed and this comes from at least 15 past students who now have their own families and would never send their children there. I wish I knew that before I moved here. Tuition is so expensive other places because no other school wants a student from "Fairmont". This school needs more than being looked at, it needs an over haul. With so many new families moving into the neighborhood, what is to be done?
SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL wrote:
Their is concern about the education of the children in SD 89. This concern comes from the community, and not the board of education or the adiministration. The media (several print reporters and editors)have been informed of the situation at Fairmont. All has fallen on deaf ears. Maybe Ms Madiagan, at the Attorney Generals office will give the situation a look. She did get involved in District 122 in New Lenox. Fairmont definitely needs a look.
Lockport Local

Lemont, IL

#3 May 27, 2008
Fairmont has come a long way and has a long way to go. Unfortunately, a lot of the fault rests on the parents shoulders when a school underperforms. If the school isn't giving your child what they need then the parent needs to step up and get involved in the school, in the classroom and at home making sure their child is doing their homework.

If the child won't listen in school they won't learn in school and this is a common complaint. Did the parents make sure that the kids did their homework and studied at home before coming in to school the next day. Are their truancy problems - are they there everyday. These are all parent issues, not school issues.

It's not for lack of money. Look at the differences in spending between Fairmont and Taft. It is ridiculous how much money is spent there to get a poor education and the parents need to get more involved in their school. Complain, volunteer and get involved. Hold the school more accountable.

TAFT SCHOOL
Avg. Teacher Salary:$39,116
Avg. Teacher Experience: 6.9 Years
Instructional Expenditure
Per Pupil (2003-04):$3,218
Operational Expenditure
Per Pupil (2003-04):$5,333
Low Income: 16%

FAIRMONT SCHOOL
Avg. Teacher Salary:$37,739
Avg. Teacher Experience: 4.7 Years
Instructional Expenditure
Per Pupil (2003-04):$4,991
Operational Expenditure
Per Pupil (2003-04):$10,721
Low Income: 98%

Low income does not have to equal poor education. If that were the case, then no one at Fairmont would ever excel and that just isn't the truth.
SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL

Mission Hills, CA

#4 May 27, 2008
I sympathize with the parents of Fairmont Students. Your children are not getting the tools they need to go on to the next level their education. There is plenty of blame to go around on why the children of Fairmont are not being educated properly. Money and class size are not an excuse. The district has ample money and very small class size. Maybe the parents need to get more involved. Maybe the board and the district need to communicate to the student population and their parents the need of an education.

The board seems more interested in the persks being board members than the education of the children. The adminstration seems motivated by getting as much money per year out of the district. The district superintendent made over $200,000.00 in salary and bonus in 2007. This is the highest for superintendent in the area.

Fairmont has the least amount of students with the lowest test scores. If we were to pay based on results and goal attainment this superintendent would be in the bottom rung. How do we in the community correct this problem?Accountability, accountability has to come from all parties.

The community needs to attend meetings. These are your children if you are a parent. The community needs to attend meetings. These are your employees if you pay their salaries with your tax money. Get involved in the Fairmont school board. There is a great need to hold the school board and district accountable for their past indiscretions.
marionscorner

Saint Charles, IL

#5 May 27, 2008
RE: Fairmomt SD 89 Web Site

FSD 89 has a web site and a full time staff person to support it. This site has not been updated since 2006. The school is in violation of the Illinois School Code, 105 ILCS 5/17-1.2. This stipulates the posting of the annual budget is to be done and itemized by receipts and expenditures. The school must also notifify the parents or guardians of its students and the name of its web site. Go check out WWW.fsd89.org and see what I mean. The regional superintendent, Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant has been notified more than once to contact the board. The Fairmont SD 89 voted not to renew their IT's contract that ends effective June 30, 2008. The district has not posted the job. What are they waiting for?
marionscorner

Saint Charles, IL

#6 May 27, 2008
Election of Board Members - Fairmont SD 89

Three positions go up for your vote the First Week of April 2009. Want to see changes made? Here is your chance. From the School Board Secretary you can pick up nominating papers which will be avialable the first week in November 2008.
Concerned observer

Wheaton, IL

#7 May 28, 2008
As an observer to the situation I find it amazing that the average expenditure per student is close to $5000. per student when Tafts is less than $4000 and yet the scores do not equate to what is being spent. Is this a case of top heavy salaries with the district office making up a large portion of that number. It sure does not reflect in the teacher salaries in comparison. The school board is not approving increases for people based on performance and that should be changed. Lets get some of the parents to get more involved and get rid of that board.
SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL wrote:
Lockport Local

United States

#8 May 28, 2008
The problem is, for the most part, you can't get the parents involved no matter how hard you try. I blame parents for not making their kids listen in school, for not making sure their kids are doing their homework, for not making sure their children are in attendance, for not attending school board meetings, for not communicating with teachers and for not making sure their school is accountable.

If you have a runaway school board who will say yes to everything the superintendent wants, then you have to get involved in the election process. More often than not, no one steps up to run for these positions or they have no one running against them. This gives the superintendent the option to hand pick the candidates. GET INVOLVED!

For the most part, education is FREE so the fact that the percentage of low income families in the district is high means nothing. But knowingly allowing your children to fail and not getting involved should be a crime.
Lockport Local

United States

#9 May 28, 2008
marionscorner wrote:
RE: Fairmomt SD 89 Web Site
FSD 89 has a web site and a full time staff person to support it. This site has not been updated since 2006. The school is in violation of the Illinois School Code, 105 ILCS 5/17-1.2. This stipulates the posting of the annual budget is to be done and itemized by receipts and expenditures. The school must also notifify the parents or guardians of its students and the name of its web site. Go check out WWW.fsd89.org and see what I mean. The regional superintendent, Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant has been notified more than once to contact the board. The Fairmont SD 89 voted not to renew their IT's contract that ends effective June 30, 2008. The district has not posted the job. What are they waiting for?
I hate to say this, but I think the website is the least of your concerns. I believe you have the right to request budgets and documents through the Freedom of Information Act. There is a form you have to fill out in the school requesting the copies. They may charge you for making the copies, but I believe they have to give them to you.
SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL

Mission Hills, CA

#10 May 28, 2008
The concern about the website is the example of what is not going on at Fairmont school and district. This is the mindset of the board and the district. Month after month the question has been ask when will the website be up and running? The answer has been next month. Finally at the April meeting the question was asked, the answer was "we have fired the IT person". This was not an answer, this was an excuse. It's like the students' answer to the question by the teacher, of where is your homework? The answer: the dog ate my homework, and you'll have to wait until he regurgitates to get to see it. Maybe on a the day of "regurgitation",Fair mont will have a website up and running. Don't hold your Pepcid AC.

a

“Conrad”

Since: May 08

Lockport, IL

#11 May 29, 2008
Frankly, Fairmont is more of a horror story come true at a school. My younger friend, who has now just turned 16. Went there after a family divorce and the mother could not afford much. Not to sound rude, but he is white. And the majority of the school is black or mexican. 71% is black, 19% mexican, and only 6% white.( http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/il/other/... )My friend was an honor roll student, before he went to this school. This was not necessarily because of teaching quality, it was because he was picked on, and made fun of. A week after his first day, he was got "jumped" and was stabbed in the left shoulder. When he went to the school, and the mother did as well. The school said they cannot discipline these boys nor can they even make police report. Now i can see the first part. But not notifying the police is completely stupid. Alot of his peers made of fun of him because of his race. I think some of the problem here, is not teaching. But peers, and how it was a lot of gangs, a lot of drugs, a lot violence that happened inside, or outside the school. A lot of this is the parents, but then again, I have seen people who have doctor parents, support the child 100% and still the kid would not turn out right. The school should have some assembly's here and there. I just say this, I would not, at any time, black, white, mexican, whatever. Recommend your child go to Fairmont school.
Kevin

Homer Glen, IL

#12 May 29, 2008
I know a young, dedicated, and caring teacher that works for District 89, so I can personally vouch for the fact that there is at least one member of the faculty there that feels strongly about her students and their ability to transition well out of the school.

With that said, though, there are alot of underlying problems that residents need to confront before they can truly fix their educational woes. 98% of the District is in the low income range. When I was growing up, my family was considered low income, too. It is very difficult to establish an environment in a low income home that is conducive to learning. Parents are overstressed, underpaid, and typically have a more difficult time teaching their kids good study habits. Further, with property values so low in the district, the school can't possibly be recieving the money they need for more than basic operational expenditures.

What can Fairmont residents do to fix the problems above so their kids have a better place to learn?

1. What you're doing now; you've identified a problem and found some possible contacts to start a discussion about it.

2. Encourage businesses and/or industry to come to your town. This will help you fix the infrastructure, provide jobs, and beautify the place to help attract new homeowners.

3. Be vigilant about your children doing their homework. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes when your kids actually do it.

I don't really know how to wrap this up or if the post even helped, but good luck.
SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL

Mission Hills, CA

#13 May 29, 2008
Kevin wrote:
I know a young, dedicated, and caring teacher that works for District 89, so I can personally vouch for the fact that there is at least one member of the faculty there that feels strongly about her students and their ability to transition well out of the school.
With that said, though, there are alot of underlying problems that residents need to confront before they can truly fix their educational woes. 98% of the District is in the low income range. When I was growing up, my family was considered low income, too. It is very difficult to establish an environment in a low income home that is conducive to learning. Parents are overstressed, underpaid, and typically have a more difficult time teaching their kids good study habits. Further, with property values so low in the district, the school can't possibly be recieving the money they need for more than basic operational expenditures.
What can Fairmont residents do to fix the problems above so their kids have a better place to learn?
1. What you're doing now; you've identified a problem and found some possible contacts to start a discussion about it.
2. Encourage businesses and/or industry to come to your town. This will help you fix the infrastructure, provide jobs, and beautify the place to help attract new homeowners.
3. Be vigilant about your children doing their homework. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes when your kids actually do it.
I don't really know how to wrap this up or if the post even helped, but good luck.
Fairmont is getting the tax payer help it needs. The district has a large influx of tax money coming from development in the Lockport area. Money is not the problem, the problem is the board and administration use of the tax money. They need to be accountable to the chidren and the taxpayer. This is not happening. They feel that they are doing fine job. Look at the scores.
Look at the pass/fail rates. Look at the retention of teachers from year to year. There is no stability for students in their teachers from year to year. How can you have proper educational environment, when the school is run like an "emergency room"? Teachers being hired and fired each year.

Teachers may be trying to do their job, but they are hamstrung the decisions made by the board and adminstration.
Lockport Local

United States

#14 May 29, 2008
There is definitely not a financial shortfall at Fairmont. Their per student spending far exceeds the expenditures of all of the other feeder schools into Lockport. Most of this money comes from financial aid into the district because of the low income and property values in the area.

If you look at the teacher salaries you will see that for the most part, they are very low compared to other districts, which really makes you question what they are doing with the money that they spend. The low salaries are mainly due to the ages/experience levels of the teachers and that is because they can't get them to stay for more than a year or two. Once the teacher gets any experience they move on to a better school.

The Lago Vista development is in the Fairmont school district and they are pumping plenty of money into the schools and they have not increased enrollment by one student because it is a senior community, but not even that could help the school.

The blame rests 75% on the parents and 25% on the school. The school will run wild until a parent group raises enough ruckus and the parents need to control their children more. I don't care if you are low income or not, you can still make sure your children do better than you are and the best way to do that is through education. You don't need to know how to do algebra to make sure your kid spends the time they need to figure it out or get the free tutoring that is available.

If you are concerned about gang activity - don't let your kid out of the house - unless they are going to school. Take charge of your children!

Also, as far as the stabbing goes - why the heck didn't the parents call the police on their own? Those kids should have been charged and locked up for stabbing a student. Would you wait for the school to take action or would you make sure it gets handled on your own?

“Conrad”

Since: May 08

Lockport, IL

#15 May 29, 2008
Lockport Local wrote:
Also, as far as the stabbing goes - why the heck didn't the parents call the police on their own? Those kids should have been charged and locked up for stabbing a student. Would you wait for the school to take action or would you make sure it gets handled on your own?
They did take the kids to court, they were in put in a Juvenile Detention Center for 12 months. But it would of been easier with the support of the school.
dxrxuxmx

Plainfield, IL

#16 May 30, 2008
I have applied at SD89 for a computer technician position. If all goes well, I'll have that web site, and the schools computer network running like gold. Cross your fingers and hope!!
marionscorner

Saint Charles, IL

#17 May 30, 2008
Lockport Local wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to say this, but I think the website is the least of your concerns. I believe you have the right to request budgets and documents through the Freedom of Information Act. There is a form you have to fill out in the school requesting the copies. They may charge you for making the copies, but I believe they have to give them to you.
You are correct. I have done so. I must admit they are either shrewd or just do not have a clue. I had to rewrite the four requests I had made.
marionscorner

Saint Charles, IL

#18 May 30, 2008
dxrxuxmx wrote:
I have applied at SD89 for a computer technician position. If all goes well, I'll have that web site, and the schools computer network running like gold. Cross your fingers and hope!!
Keep me posted.

I have been in the district office. They have not posted the job. The present IT is being let go. Reportedly this IT has done nothing since April of this year and her contract ends June 30th.

I would like to se the job posted and the job put into the local newspaper. I would like to see the job description. I would like to know how many candicates were interviewed and why the selected canditate was deemed the best for the job.

SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL

Mission Hills, CA

#19 May 30, 2008
Masta3456 wrote:
<quoted text> They did take the kids to court, they were in put in a Juvenile Detention Center for 12 months. But it would of been easier with the support of the school.
If what is said here is correct, what happened to "0" tolerance? If someone was accosted and hurt, it's the schools duty get involved. This sounds like "O" tolerance in reverse. Put the blinders on: "hear no evil, see no evil", do nothing to protect the student. If this correct and something happened, the school is delinquent in it responsibilty toward the children in it's care. Hopefully more will come of this, one way or the other. This educational environment cannot be tolerated.
SHAKEY JOE LOCKPORT IL

Mission Hills, CA

#20 May 31, 2008
The product of the education at Fairmont was brought into the light of day. The front page of the Herald News shows that better than half the eighth graders scheduled to graduate tomorrow, June 1, will not. The are failing 1 or more subjects.

This is an example of the board and adminstration attitude: "just pass them all", let someone else handle the problem. These students could not have been succeeding in the lower grades. They were passed along. They thought this attitude would prevail, just as it had in other school years.

These children cannot be given the impression that you don't have to do homework or study, and still be successful in high school. The standards for grading on homework was lowered earlier in the school year. There were too many failures earlier due to incomplete homework, so the standards for homework grading was lowered. This lowering of the bar seemed not to help, as indicated by todays' Herald News.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lockport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proud of Steve Ballich 19 min K Hamstead 92
Desk pounding gets us nowhere 44 min Joey for mayor 1
Support Mayor Steve! 7 hr Re-elect Streit 30
Streit for Mayor 7 hr Re-elect Streit 59
For every Joey sign in town, there's 20 Streit ... 7 hr Re-elect Streit 12
Joey has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to offer! 7 hr Critical Thinker 1
STEVE STREIT is who will bring LOCKPORT to succ... 7 hr Critical Thinker 1

Lockport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance