Pinn Editorial on Police Chief is Awe...

Pinn Editorial on Police Chief is Awesome!

Posted in the Lockport Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Good Job Florence

Lemont, IL

#1 Dec 18, 2013
From the Thursday, December 19, 2013 edition of the Lockport Legend newspaper:

"Dear Editor,

I'd like to thank Aldermen VanderMeer, Smith, Capadona and Colarelli, and Mayor Streit for taking the difficult stand on assigning a new police chief. For too long Lockport has hired or assigned people to positions because they come from an old Lockport family or went to Lockport Township High School or attend the same church. That's why Lockport never progresses.

Because a man collects a pension, he can't have another job? Does that mean if Alderman Kelly Turner collected veterans benefits, he shouldn't be allowed to get paid to be an alderman? Or is this just an ego factor, like how much this new chief may earn?

It seems that the minority feels anyone with more education, money or position is the enemy. They have an inferiority complex. Get over it and stop holding this city back.

Just because Mr. Draksler is a great policeman doesn't mean he would naturally be the best pick for a chief. Sometimes having many friends can make it even more difficult to make hard decisions. But courting the underdog does get you votes.

In today's world, there is so much more to know in any job then there used to be 10 or 20 years ago. We don't just need a nice man that's been here for some time. We need the best man in these violent times. We need an unbiased opinion.

If you became an alderman because your ego needed a boost, you're in it for the wrong reason. Instead, do the smart things and make intelligent decisions, not decisions that will make people like you. School days are over.

Florence Pinn

Lockport resident"

Couldn;t have summed it up any better!

Judged:

12

11

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Abc

United States

#2 Dec 19, 2013
Wow.

I don't know Ms. Pinn, but I'm glad she had the guys to write the truth. I understand both sides, but it takes courage to speak up against the loud minority.

Any intellectual honesty (beyond "Dave's from Lockport and has served 25 years") says the Mayor made the right choice

Judged:

12

12

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#3 Dec 19, 2013
Good Job Florence wrote:
From the Thursday, December 19, 2013 edition of the Lockport Legend newspaper:
"Dear Editor,
I'd like to thank Aldermen VanderMeer, Smith, Capadona and Colarelli, and Mayor Streit for taking the difficult stand on assigning a new police chief. For too long Lockport has hired or assigned people to positions because they come from an old Lockport family or went to Lockport Township High School or attend the same church. That's why Lockport never progresses.
Because a man collects a pension, he can't have another job? Does that mean if Alderman Kelly Turner collected veterans benefits, he shouldn't be allowed to get paid to be an alderman? Or is this just an ego factor, like how much this new chief may earn?
It seems that the minority feels anyone with more education, money or position is the enemy. They have an inferiority complex. Get over it and stop holding this city back.
Just because Mr. Draksler is a great policeman doesn't mean he would naturally be the best pick for a chief. Sometimes having many friends can make it even more difficult to make hard decisions. But courting the underdog does get you votes.
In today's world, there is so much more to know in any job then there used to be 10 or 20 years ago. We don't just need a nice man that's been here for some time. We need the best man in these violent times. We need an unbiased opinion.
If you became an alderman because your ego needed a boost, you're in it for the wrong reason. Instead, do the smart things and make intelligent decisions, not decisions that will make people like you. School days are over.
Florence Pinn
Lockport resident"
Couldn;t have summed it up any better!
Once again...this turns into a silly Turner bashing "letter" and underlying insinuations about intelligence and ego factors ???? Ms. Pinn and no one else has any idea what makes Mr. Lemming qualified for the job. No information was ever stated so how the hell does she know ?? Mr. Draksler is a "nice" man so he can't handle the job ? What if Mr. Lemming is a "nice " man ?? Can't handle the job ? Maybe the aldermen who supported Mr. Draksler are quite impressed with the likes of a Ms. Pinn telling them they do not have the intelligence to vote the way they think because their "egos" get in the way or want to be "liked" ?? Need new blood in the LPD because "there is so much more to know in any job" ??? Well...to Ms. Pinn...Mr. Lemming IS RETIRED and has been for a while. What NEW ideas does he bring to the table ???? Does a new chief have to be a storm trooper to combat the "rampant" crime in Lockport ?? Bad analogy about "new blood" Ms. Pinn. Sorry...I guess no one has the "intelligence" to bring it up. Sorry "old Lemont poster", this Pinn letter sounds exactly like the "speech" given by one Pete Colarelli . Just re-read the last 2 sentences of the" letter" and then review the meeting tape and match the "speech" up. The appointment has been made. There is no need to insult the work and demeanor of Mr. Draksler , for belonging to a local church or attending a local school or ANY aldermen who supported him or the many residents who did as well. Ms. Pinn...you ain't that smart either.....but thanks for your "opinion"...we all have them ! Could'nt have summed it up any better.

Judged:

12

12

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Outed Dumm

Lemont, IL

#4 Dec 19, 2013
Mike Dumm (Chum -baloney): Maybe you should read the accompanying Legend article on Lemming (if you CAN read). I know it will hurt because it completely undermines your silly argument about qulaifications, but you really should start being intellectually honest for one.

I'll share it in a couple of postes:

1 of 3:

"ISP Lt. Col. Terry Lemming to take over as Lockport's police chief in January

by Lockport Legend Staff

December 17, 2013

Lemmingphoto:Kristen Thometz/22nd Century Media.Shortly after the City of Lockport ushers in the new year, it will usher in a new chief of police as Lt. Col. Terry Lemming takes over the helm of the Lockport Police Department.

For the past year and half, Lemming has served as the lieutenant colonel of the Illinois State Police.

"I'm in charge of field operations for the state police, 21 patrol districts and seven investigative zones throughout the state, which includes all drug units, six auto theft task forces and other task forces," he said.

At the end of this month, Lemming will be retiring from the Illinois State Police, after nearly 25 years of service with the ISP. While Lemming has had a long career in law enforcement, he didn't grow up dreaming of becoming a police officer.

"I never knew a police officer before I became one," Lemming said. "I was attracted to public service, which was not necessarily [becoming] a police officer.... I didn't come from a law enforcement family like a lot of people do."

Lemming received both a bachelor's degree and master's degree in law enforcement administration from Western Illinois University. Lemming's first job in the law enforcement field was in 1982 with the Western Springs Police Department as a police officer in 1982."

Continued...

Judged:

11

11

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Outed Dumm

Lemont, IL

#5 Dec 19, 2013
2 of 3:

"A year later, he began as a police officer for the Burbank Police Department. During his time as a Burbank police officer, Lemming was introduced to an Illinois State Police trooper.

"The next week [the trooper] was in a terrible crash and broke his back and almost died," Lemming said. "I just met this trooper and visited him at the hospital. The state police had two troopers assigned to him one was at his side 23 hours a day and the other was with his family. It really showed the [ISP] was taking care of one of their own. And I thought,'that's the kind of agency I want to work for.'"

In about five years, Lemming worked his way through the ranks from a police officer to commander with the Burbank Police Department. In 1989, Lemming was called by the ISP.

"I always wanted to be with the state police," he said.

Lemming began his career as a trooper in District 15, covering Interstate 294. Three years later he was selected as a special agent and assigned to the South Suburban Auto Theft Interdiction Network. In 1996, Lemming began working for the ISP's public integrity task force.

"Basically, what I did was investigate police shootings," Lemming said. "We did all of Cook County, with the exception of Chicago."

The next year, Lemming was moved to the Kankakee Metropolitan Enforcement group, which Lemming said was a multi-jurisdictional undercover drug unit. Over the next couple of years, Lemming worked in various metropolitan enforcement groups throughout the state. In 1999, Lemming became the director of the Lake County Metropolitan Enforcement group.

"The job consisted of writing grants, conducting policy board meetings with member agencies and budgeting," Lemming said, naming some of his responsibilities as director.

In 2004, Lemming was promoted to lieutenant.

"I had functional control of 22 drug units the state administered," he said, adding four years later he was promoted to captain of Zone 1 investigations which included Cook, Lake DuPage, McHenry, Kane and DeKalb counties. "I was in charge of four undercover drug units, general criminal investigations I did everything you could think of."

One of the highlights for Lemming during this phase of his career was helping to establish a ruse burglary task force.

"[People] jump from town to town and they pick on the most vulnerable people in society our elderly citizens," Lemming said. "What they'd do is they'd see an old lady or man in the front yard, gain a person's attention, and while they have that person's attention, another two people sneak into the house and steal from the house.... A bunch of us got together and talked about starting a ruse burglary task force. It's been extremely successful."

Continued...

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Outed Dumm

Lemont, IL

#6 Dec 19, 2013
3 0f 3:

"Lemming said he plans to retire Dec. 31 from his position with the ISP and will begin his job as Lockport's police chief in January. While Lemming will be collecting a pension and a salary, he defended what some may see as double-dipping from taxpayers.

"Public service is the reason I got into this field," he said. "I didn't get into [law enforcement] to be rich. When I started as a police officer, I made $12,000. That amount of money couldn't even buy me a home, so I had to work part-time jobs. Eventually, police salaries rose with level of education.... A lieutenant colonel is at the very top of the pay scale. I wont' argue that. I have three kids in college right now and a fourth in high school. My wife stays at home with the kids, so my salary is what we live off of.... I take care of my family as if a husband and wife both work, but they're not called double dippers."

Lemming said he applied to the chief of police position because he liked the town.

"I like Lockport; it's a real nice town," he said, adding his family considered moving to Lockport in 1995 but chose Lemont because it was closer to Chicago. "I think [Lockport] is well managed. And I think they have a good police department."

Lemming said he doesn't plan to make drastic changes in the police department.

"I will have a transition period," Lemming said. "I will work slowly with change."

While it had been mentioned that Draksler would be a deputy chief during the Wednesday, Dec. 4, City Council meeting, Lemming said he doesn't know what Draksler's role will be yet.

"I think Dave Draksler is a really good man, and I expect nothing but good things from him," Lemming said. "For me to say what his role will be is a little premature.... You don't know your role will be until you sit down and learn more about the police department."

Lemming said he is looking forward to learning more about what his own role will be as he takes over as chief of police.

"I'm really excited about being the new police chief in such a wonderful town," he said. "I've heard all good things about the police department and police officers. I'm looking forward to working with all of the officers and citizens, too."

Wow - what a testimony. Looks lke Turner and his Mickey Mouse Club Moose members got this dead wrong.
Abc

United States

#7 Dec 19, 2013
Chum, just because you say it doesn't make it true. Maybe they should have done a better Bio on Lemming, but we do know:

I think it was Ald Deskin who talked most about Lemmings qualifications - Bachelors, Masters, author of books and articles, earning rank of Lt. Col.(Which is higher than a municipal chief)

Marynowski also said he was impressive and polished.

VanderMeer read the little that he was allowed to from the unbiased panel that stated Lemming got the top score overall and in each individual category. There wasn't a single area that he wasn't the +1 candidate.

Also, your retirement lie is growing. If you know that he has been retired "a while" when did he retire? What date? I can tell you that you're either lying or your idea of a while is vastly different than mine.

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Turner Loses Again

United States

#8 Dec 19, 2013
The Legend article today said he hasn't retired and won't retire until the end of this year.

Those who supported the acting chief are just choosing to ignore reality. The woman who spoke at the meeting, Kim Harvey, said she didn't care about Lemming's qualifications because she just wanted to blindly support Draxler. Now that is not in our best interests, is it?

I heard that Drakler only has an Associate's Degree that he got in the 80's. Why didn't he go back to school to better himself? Sounds like he didn't want to be chief very much.

Judged:

10

10

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Flo she dont know

Naperville, IL

#9 Dec 19, 2013
Flo is the same one who has been trying to shut down our St Joe Octoberfest for the last 15 years. We tried to work with her. She is a very bitter old thing and is part of that "downtown" crowd who hates everywhere and everyone else in Lockport. She always sends these bitter letters.

I think her husband was an appointed alderman who was beaten by Turner. I think she has hated him ever since.
But, who hasn't?

Judged:

11

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Flo she dont know

Naperville, IL

#10 Dec 19, 2013
She is good friends with Colarelli and the Mayor and all of the rest of the "we hate Lockport people" crowd.

Judged:

10

10

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Good Job Florence

Lemont, IL

#11 Dec 19, 2013
Typical Turner reaction - character assassination.

What a loser

Judged:

11

11

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Flo she dont know

Naperville, IL

#12 Dec 19, 2013
Thanks for your input, I think you are Pete Colarelli. I hope you are not Catholic, because Flo hates Catholics. I think she might be an atheist.

Judged:

10

10

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#13 Dec 19, 2013
Flo she dont know wrote:
Thanks for your input, I think you are Pete Colarelli. I hope you are not Catholic, because Flo hates Catholics. I think she might be an atheist.
Hmm I thought I was Alderman Colarelli? Oh wait that's right according to you I'm his gay lover. I see we are hearing from your Naperville alter ego in this thread. When are you going to just come out from behind the keyboard and just admit that Lockport by all accounts hired an extremely well qualified individual? If you do not think Mr. Lemming is well qualified then by all means please state your reasons why you believe that is the case instead of throwing proverbial bombs at people.
KT the zero

Lockport, IL

#14 Dec 19, 2013
Turner Loses Again wrote:
The Legend article today said he hasn't retired and won't retire until the end of this year.
Those who supported the acting chief are just choosing to ignore reality. The woman who spoke at the meeting, Kim Harvey, said she didn't care about Lemming's qualifications because she just wanted to blindly support Draksler. Now that is not in our best interests, is it?
I heard that Drakler only has an Associate's Degree that he got in the 80's. Why didn't he go back to school to better himself? Sounds like he didn't want to be chief very much.
Yes instead of the same old good boys way the new mayor chose to install a non bias system to narrow the pool down to 6 which Draksler was set to be 1 of 6 and still couldn't get past 6 because he always banked on he was promised the position years ago and did nothing during his whole career to prepare himeself except for what the city paid for. Lemming on the other hand has prepare a remarkable career. I think his exact statement was he had to do nothing because he was already a commodity. Wow a little conceded aren't we. Face it the mayor has now removed the good ole boy school of politics. No more making decisions over drinks at the Moose, VFW, or the Legion or anywhere else. The decision was his to make and if there wasn't any concern with his appointment everyone should have stood behind their mayor. It was not their decision or choice!

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
KT the zero

Lockport, IL

#15 Dec 19, 2013
Oops Draksler's statement was he didn't have to do anything because he was already a commodity. Gee how did that work out for you Draksler? I hear he has barely spoken to his officers which just goes to show why he isn't and shouldn't be chief.
thanks EJCdad

Lemont, IL

#16 Dec 19, 2013
Flo she dont know wrote:
Flo is the same one who has been trying to shut down our St Joe Octoberfest for the last 15 years. We tried to work with her. She is a very bitter old thing and is part of that "downtown" crowd who hates everywhere and everyone else in Lockport. She always sends these bitter letters.
I think her husband was an appointed alderman who was beaten by Turner. I think she has hated him ever since.
But, who hasn't?
HEY!! You OUTED me!! "I'm" Florence Pinn!!

A few years ago, when my serial-posting addiction began, I was better known as DLP314. Everyone always told me to STFU back then too. ALL of my posts were always judged "clueless/nuts/spam then too, just like now. I don't HATE Turner, I am usually lusting after him, heavily. You see, I'm also known around here as "Crone Scorned" because at 83 yrs old, I finally got up the nerve (after a few hits off my crack pipe and a 5th of V.O.) to make a pass at my beloved K.T. but he vehemently rebuffed my advances and this got my crusty granny panties all twisted in a knot, so that's why I'm known as Crone Scorned. This is why I'm ALWAYS on this forum, 24/7, pathetically trying my damnedest to have the most posts in each thread, with post content of my always confusing, incomprehensible (and usually drunken) odes to the love of my life, K.T.. Sometimes I hate him, sometimes I love him, and sometimes I just wanna jump his bones.

When I'm NOT here on topix (which is rare) I can usually be found lurking around the outside of K.T.'s bedroom and bathroom windows, my buttlickin-dragon-breath steaming up the windows. If I am unlucky to catch even a glimpse of that stud, I just go back home and enjoy my Pinocchio-nose2000 vibrator while laying next to my life-size cardboard cutout of that sexy man.

In conclusion, YES, I AM FLORENCE PINN!!

K.T. WILL bump uglies with me one day soon.
Mwah ha ha aha ha ha Mwah ha ha aha ah (<that's my Vincent price impersonation)
Abc

United States

#17 Dec 20, 2013
Chum,

You post on here a LOT. Your negative bias towards Lockport and the current mayor and council are obvious and that's fine. But you do yourself no favors when you are continually exposed as a liar.

There are things to be unhappy about right now, but no one is going to take you seriously when you're just carrying Turner's pom pons and lying the entire way. If you're not intentionally lying then I'd get a new source of information because you seem to be following Turners talking points and that's a proven failure.
Chumbalone

Downers Grove, IL

#18 Dec 20, 2013
Abc wrote:
Chum,
You post on here a LOT. Your negative bias towards Lockport and the current mayor and council are obvious and that's fine. But you do yourself no favors when you are continually exposed as a liar.
There are things to be unhappy about right now, but no one is going to take you seriously when you're just carrying Turner's pom pons and lying the entire way. If you're not intentionally lying then I'd get a new source of information because you seem to be following Turners talking points and that's a proven failure.
Look alphabet....never called anyone a liar...maybe a moron...or a knucklehead...NEVER a liar. However....when you do talk about "proven failure"....I suggest you look in the mirror.....and that's no lie.
Lockport local

Lockport, IL

#19 Dec 20, 2013
Chumbalone wrote:
<quoted text> Look alphabet....never called anyone a liar...maybe a moron...or a knucklehead...NEVER a liar. However....when you do talk about "proven failure"....I suggest you look in the mirror.....and that's no lie.
Chum: Why are you being so negative during this festive time? Try being a more positive person and you may feel better about things! Enjoy your life if Lockport and have a Merry Christmas.
Saving Face

Naperville, IL

#20 Dec 21, 2013
This topic has more to do with Alderman Colarelli trying to save his already bad image as an insincere jackass who is in pretty bad shape to run for re-election. He is a sad self-centered man who never got promoted as a cop and has been trying to get even with the department ever since. Now it will cost the taxpayers a million bucks in 4 years. It will also cause disarray in the department. All because of the pathetic, small minded and immoral jackass, Alderman Colarelli.

Well you got even alderman and as usual with your grand schemes,
the people lose and you leave destruction in your path.

How is the chamber of commerce? Is it going bankrupt? That is another one of your success stories, isn't it? You are the president, aren't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lockport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thanks Mayor Streit 1 hr theobald 86
Lockport Legend 2 hr dog pee 4
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 4 hr Content 9,743
Removal of Ash Trees 20 hr cthulhu 10
Awesome Canal Days! Fri theobald 11
Is Pete Colarelli the Mayor's Hatchet Man? Thu dog pee 18
Governor Rauner the Taxpayer's Hero Thu Robert Thomas 15
More from around the web

Lockport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Lockport Mortgages