what a joke--city council takes a pay...

what a joke--city council takes a pay break--HA,HA.

Posted in the Lockport Forum

Gregg

Lemont, IL

#1 Feb 20, 2010
What does that amount to, 10 or 12 dollars per month, bravo to the old fools who wanted it, kelly and van dyke. yep, that is really going to make the city wealthy. Why doesn't the city take over the township government where the wastefulness is enormous and run the city and township as one saving those big time administrative salaries, free cars and trucks, etc. etc. The township government is the biggest joke and they all get big salaries and no one cares! There is alot that could be done instead of taking money from the competent staff. If I were working there I would go elsewhere with these ding-a-lings sitting on the city council and judging what they know very little about. They are just grand standing as usual. The staff is competent and the city is in good hands but they will blow it, you watch. These people have degrees in what they do and have proven their intelligence in all matters. As for developers, who is building anywhere???? Yesterday, I saw a woman with so many coupons that she owed very little on her grocery bill. This all over, people do not invest when the economy is so strapped. This is just not here but the entire state is not getting paid by the government and things are closing. Yet we have these people that think they can solve a problem by taking little bits of money and giving it back. It is a joke.
Jane

Lemont, IL

#2 Feb 20, 2010
I agree with the above comment. There is little to be said for the present council so I guess they are taking a 10 % percent decrease because they have not accomplished anything really. There are the same old grand standers pretending to be helping Lockport but really doing nothing for us at all. The staff as far as I view them are second to none. They are knowledgable and know their trade and to take salary from them is beyond expectation in this world. They can go anywhere and earn a comparable salary for their expertise in their trade. They are earning what they deserve. As for the township govt. that is another sad story. They do nothing and get ridiculous salaries and perks for doing nothing. Let's incorporate the two into one government body, the city of Lockport and save alot of money and do away with the money mongers in the township. That Waxweiler story was enough to sicken one's stomach and esp. since he got away with it and why doesnt someone publish their salaries and perks. I would like to know. They make the city look like pikers.
tarzan

Lockport, IL

#3 Feb 20, 2010
Jane wrote:
I agree with the above comment. There is little to be said for the present council so I guess they are taking a 10 % percent decrease because they have not accomplished anything really. There are the same old grand standers pretending to be helping Lockport but really doing nothing for us at all. The staff as far as I view them are second to none. They are knowledgable and know their trade and to take salary from them is beyond expectation in this world. They can go anywhere and earn a comparable salary for their expertise in their trade. They are earning what they deserve. As for the township govt. that is another sad story. They do nothing and get ridiculous salaries and perks for doing nothing. Let's incorporate the two into one government body, the city of Lockport and save alot of money and do away with the money mongers in the township. That Waxweiler story was enough to sicken one's stomach and esp. since he got away with it and why doesnt someone publish their salaries and perks. I would like to know. They make the city look like pikers.
oh, jane,jane, jane, you must rely only on idle gossip for your information. The herald news published all the township peoples salaries and some of their perks - surprising the township folsk don't get as much money as the city people and not as much as we all thought they got. how about the facts!
Anne B

United States

#4 Feb 20, 2010
TARZAN YOU A**!!! WE know who you are.
Mary Tyler Moore

Lemont, IL

#5 Feb 20, 2010
tarzan wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, jane,jane, jane, you must rely only on idle gossip for your information. The herald news published all the township peoples salaries and some of their perks - surprising the township folsk don't get as much money as the city people and not as much as we all thought they got. how about the facts!
Tell me why you dont mention Jack Waxy and what he did and how much money he took from the government of the city of Lockport Township. You know why, he is not guilty of anything in your eyes. So no use talking, Tarzan. You are a buddy of the twp. phonies. And the facts are that this is nothing from the city council but grandstanding, 50.00 month. Now if they want to do something great, just volunteer all the money to the city, not 10%.
Anal leakage

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Feb 20, 2010
Tarxan full of sh**,need laxative
Dingo Baby Eater

Warrenville, IL

#7 Feb 20, 2010
I will eat their first born piece of shit, Mate!
Yahtzee

Edwardsburg, MI

#8 Feb 22, 2010
Jane wrote:
That was all a show. I am so disappointed in Trivedi and Morris for supporting this trash. It is clear that Van Dike and Tom Kelly only want to pretend to be supporting the people. If they really cared about all of us, the taxpayers, they would be bringing in more restaurants and other amenities. 12 bucks a month will do nothing to help us. What a bunch of morons and phonies.
No Accountant

Downers Grove, IL

#9 Feb 22, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if these people are getting paid far more from "other interests" than they make from the taxpayers.

These guys obviously aren't independently wealthy so I doubt it would take much to grease the wheels. Their actions show they're not serving the desires of the taxpayers. I wonder who they are serving? In addition to themselves, of course.
Canal Boat

Schaumburg, IL

#10 Feb 22, 2010
You know folks, it might help a little if you actually know what the hell you are talking about before you post.

An alderman makes $6000 per year. That's $500 per month for those of you who are math challenged. The Mayor makes $18,000 per year.

So if everyone were to voluntarily refund 10% it comes to a grand total of $5800 per year that the elected officials would refund back to the city. Will that make a difference with the budget? Of course not. But that wasn't the point of asking for the 10% refund. Two aldermen also wanted a voluntary 10% reduction in salary for department heads and city workers. It would be hypocritical to ask department heads and city workers to take a 10% reduction without taking a reduction themselves.

I don't understand the negativity. Let's just look at the high school situation. How many times has the anti-referendum crowd used the "don't you know how much teachers and administration make. Let them take a reduction in their salaries and then we'll talk". Isn't that exactly what a few aldermen and the mayor voted for?

Either it is good that the aldermen will make a volutary 10% refund or it isn't.

You can't have it both ways.
ding dong

Joliet, IL

#11 Feb 22, 2010
Maybe the city, under mayor murphy, should have thought about the future when they handed out 20% raises a few years back. Now they are crying about money. Where were the aldermen when approving that nonsense? Wasn't Trevedi on the council then? He approved it. They thought they were going to be sitting pretty when they gave millions of dollars of tax breaks to business that have since pulled out of Lockport. They also weren't worried about money when approving those breaks.
Lori is Here

Edwardsburg, MI

#12 Feb 22, 2010
ding dong wrote:
Maybe the city, under mayor murphy, should have thought about the future when they handed out 20% raises a few years back. Now they are crying about money. Where were the aldermen when approving that nonsense? Wasn't Trevedi on the council then? He approved it. They thought they were going to be sitting pretty when they gave millions of dollars of tax breaks to business that have since pulled out of Lockport. They also weren't worried about money when approving those breaks.
Looks like Lori P. has found her way back to Topix!
Lori, those raises brought the salaries of the staff up to the low-mid range of other staffs in the area. Previous administrations had kept the salaries so low that the only people interested in the job were an administrator who left in shame when people began looking at his files and a finance director who couldn't even prepare a finance report.
The "deals" with developers that you mentioned were exactly what other towns offer developers because we are competing with them for the projects. The city hasn't paid a dime to the developers because the projects were never realized due to the economy.
Proud Porter Man

Lemont, IL

#13 Feb 22, 2010
Lori is Here wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like Lori P. has found her way back to Topix!
Lori, those raises brought the salaries of the staff up to the low-mid range of other staffs in the area. Previous administrations had kept the salaries so low that the only people interested in the job were an administrator who left in shame when people began looking at his files and a finance director who couldn't even prepare a finance report.
The "deals" with developers that you mentioned were exactly what other towns offer developers because we are competing with them for the projects. The city hasn't paid a dime to the developers because the projects were never realized due to the economy.
ditto to this post. I agree with this post 100%. I am so proud of our staff, not the city council, but the staff and the job they do for the pay that is the standard that is paid to community staffs in other communities. We would not be able to have the proficiency we have without them and they do one heck of a job! Why doesn't your husband take a 20 % discount? Most people are paid what they are worth and no more in the city. Now the township is another story, it is all gravy. And I might add the fire dept. administration should be looked at carefully. Why not talk about that, why because your beef is with the city only.
Lockport Opinion

United States

#14 Feb 22, 2010
Proud Porter Man wrote:
<quoted text> ditto to this post. I agree with this post 100%. I am so proud of our staff, not the city council, but the staff and the job they do for the pay that is the standard that is paid to community staffs in other communities. We would not be able to have the proficiency we have without them and they do one heck of a job! Why doesn't your husband take a 20 % discount? Most people are paid what they are worth and no more in the city. Now the township is another story, it is all gravy. And I might add the fire dept. administration should be looked at carefully. Why not talk about that, why because your beef is with the city only.
If the people we have in city hall are so great then how come we can't seem to get any building projects finished around here? While we had offers flooding in after 355 was announced and Walmart came in, all we were able to put together were a couple of empty strip malls. We had offers from hotels, big box chains, national restaurants, etc. and we couldn't put it together. ALL of the surrounding communities were able to put their projects together and build them before the market took a dump, but we weren't. You can't blame the economy 100% for our mess. A big portion of this lies on the shoulders of the people in city hall.
Mary Tyler Moore

Lemont, IL

#15 Feb 22, 2010
Canal Boat wrote:
You know folks, it might help a little if you actually know what the hell you are talking about before you post.
An alderman makes $6000 per year. That's $500 per month for those of you who are math challenged. The Mayor makes $18,000 per year.
So if everyone were to voluntarily refund 10% it comes to a grand total of $5800 per year that the elected officials would refund back to the city. Will that make a difference with the budget? Of course not. But that wasn't the point of asking for the 10% refund. Two aldermen also wanted a voluntary 10% reduction in salary for department heads and city workers. It would be hypocritical to ask department heads and city workers to take a 10% reduction without taking a reduction themselves.
I don't understand the negativity. Let's just look at the high school situation. How many times has the anti-referendum crowd used the "don't you know how much teachers and administration make. Let them take a reduction in their salaries and then we'll talk". Isn't that exactly what a few aldermen and the mayor voted for?
Either it is good that the aldermen will make a volutary 10% refund or it isn't.
Thanks for the clarification Dick Van Dyke, you are my hero! So serious, so noble...thanks for saving the city with your 10% donation. You make 6 grand per year, so thats a $600.00 a year donation at 10% back or $50.00 per month or $25.00 per paycheck for a 41 million dollar municipality. Way to go Dick!!
Mary Tyler Moore

Lemont, IL

#16 Feb 22, 2010
Canal Boat wrote:
Dick can you ask Tom Kelly to refund the money the city paid for him to go to Las Vegas a few years back to the shopping mall convention aka his vacation on the city's dime? What businesses did he bring back with delegation of cronies that also went on the city's bill? That alone cost more than you will give back with your 10% pay cut in the next 4 years. Also, where do you buy the 1970s suits at nowadays?

Also, when you speak and ask questions ad nauseum it is not an indication of intelligence, rather it reveals that you specifically know basically nothing about the government you claim to be running. The mayor had 14 years of asking stupid questions only exposing his ignorance and inability to understand basic issues, you're working fast on catching up.
Red Onion

Lemont, IL

#17 Feb 24, 2010
Mary Tyler Moore wrote:
<quoted text>
Dick can you ask Tom Kelly to refund the money the city paid for him to go to Las Vegas a few years back to the shopping mall convention aka his vacation on the city's dime? What businesses did he bring back with delegation of cronies that also went on the city's bill? That alone cost more than you will give back with your 10% pay cut in the next 4 years. Also, where do you buy the 1970s suits at nowadays?
Also, when you speak and ask questions ad nauseum it is not an indication of intelligence, rather it reveals that you specifically know basically nothing about the government you claim to be running. The mayor had 14 years of asking stupid questions only exposing his ignorance and inability to understand basic issues, you're working fast on catching up.
That is really an eye opener that Tom Kelly is so mum when it comes to money he owes back to the city, since he is always harping about everybody else. It is time he coughs that up and gives it back. And I am so sick and tired of his NO language for years and years. This is not a true official who votes on things, but an official who just votes no to satisfy his grudgy and old out dated, out moded ideas!
Mary Tyler Moore

Lemont, IL

#18 Feb 26, 2010
I want to know if Tom Kelly gets a diaper reimbursement, say if he were to soil himself during a city council meeting. He would be on city time right? And if the boredom or stress of staying awake long enough to scream "NO" causes a "discharge" do we the taxpayers pick up that tab for a fresh adult diaper, talc and the moist wipes?

If so, can we vote whether he gets to buy generic depends or those trendy price name brand ones?

I would suggest Alderman Van Dyke could show some legislative leadership and fiscal responsibility in this alleged "diaper-gate" issue. Perhaps Robinson Engineering could do a study with power point presentation afterwards. If Dick-VD were to spearhead this can imagine along with the $25.00 per paycheck refund he is giving back to the city how much money that could add up to?

Way to show leadership guys, this will definitely make a dent in the budget.
Chan Ho

Warrenville, IL

#19 Feb 26, 2010
Mary Tyler Moore wrote:
I want to know if Tom Kelly gets a diaper reimbursement, say if he were to soil himself during a city council meeting. He would be on city time right? And if the boredom or stress of staying awake long enough to scream "NO" causes a "discharge" do we the taxpayers pick up that tab for a fresh adult diaper, talc and the moist wipes?
If so, can we vote whether he gets to buy generic depends or those trendy price name brand ones?
I would suggest Alderman Van Dyke could show some legislative leadership and fiscal responsibility in this alleged "diaper-gate" issue. Perhaps Robinson Engineering could do a study with power point presentation afterwards. If Dick-VD were to spearhead this can imagine along with the $25.00 per paycheck refund he is giving back to the city how much money that could add up to?
Way to show leadership guys, this will definitely make a dent in the budget.
I think I'm going to need a diaper because I just pissed myself laughing!
Dickie Do

Aurora, IL

#20 Feb 26, 2010
Hey guys, you are just jealous of my relationship with Tommy boy. We love to love each other-is it that obvious?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lockport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conect the Dots 45 min Morte 7
Why do Deskin, Vandermeer and Streit hate seniors? 2 hr Jim H 30
Lockport Water 3 hr Raylin Sutter 19
Donald Trump for President 4 hr Conservative 38
Why Do Turner and Marynowski Hate Seniors? 4 hr Longtimer 7
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 23 hr Let it go 9,931
Tonight A Fairmont Board Member Voted Against L... Tue Fairmont Questioner 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lockport Mortgages