First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lockport guy

Lockport, IL

#1 Feb 24, 2013
What is everyone doing about the electricity supplier automatically switching from ComEd to Verde? Are you opting-out? I hear that Verde may be cheaper, but that you may be faced with early termination fees if you end service early -- much like cell phones. What are your thoughts?
Not me

Lockport, IL

#2 Feb 24, 2013
You are very correct. You were suppose to get an opt out letter from the city. I have heard of no one that got it. It is automatic otherwise. Early termination fee? Not me!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#3 Feb 24, 2013
Not me wrote:
You are very correct. You were suppose to get an opt out letter from the city. I have heard of no one that got it. It is automatic otherwise. Early termination fee? Not me!
I did receive one and I did opt out. I have a serious distrust of a wholesaler. Eventually the rate is going to go up. COMED supplies the line, maintains the line and does the billing but gets exactly what out of this deal a small portion of the charges? COMED's cost are going to rise and even if they are capped by the utilities commisson I'm sure COMED will pass the cost onto the wholesalers who in turn are going to pass the cost onto the consumer.
Abc

Chicago, IL

#5 Feb 24, 2013
I've looked into this quite a bit. There is NO early termination fee whatsoever, we are free to move as we please.

I am going to switch, there seems to be no reason not to. If I have issues I will just go back to comed.

I did receive the letter - I think it came from Comed.

This is what happens when you have open competition for pricing - take note Robinson Engineering!
They are pros at that

Lockport, IL

#6 Feb 24, 2013
Abc wrote:
I've looked into this quite a bit. There is NO early termination fee whatsoever, we are free to move as we please.
I am going to switch, there seems to be no reason not to. If I have issues I will just go back to comed.
This is what happens when you have open competition for pricing - take note Robinson Engineering!
The letter came from the city to opt out or go with Verde and then later just the other day a letter came from ComEd you that you did not opt out and would be a Verde Energy customer. I am opting out and have already done it but did not receive a letter as we should have from the city of Lockport. My neighbors did not either.
They are pros at that

Lockport, IL

#7 Feb 24, 2013
Abc wrote:
ps. i called them and there is a termination fee so you better look at it again very soon.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#8 Feb 24, 2013
Dickfaceerjcdad wrote:
<quoted text>
You really think you know everything. Don't you? Well why don't you lick my brown eye?
YAWN, another new name, another schoolyard insult. Perhaps if you spent a little time paying attention during the economics class in high school you'd understand how the business world functions. Tell you what I'll give you a little help http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/economi...
lockport guy

Lockport, IL

#9 Feb 27, 2013
So here's the downlow. I called Verde this morning.

(1) They say that, yes, usually there are early termination fees, BUT Lockport negotiated a NO-early termination fee agreement. So, there will be no early termination fees for us; that's excellent news.

(2) Lockport is locked in for 20-months at a rate of $0.04999 kWh for "electricity supply charge." This is a HUGE discount. I looked at prior months' bills and found that the lowest rate has been $0.06123 and the highest $0.07514. That's a mean of $0.06818, so the new rate is a savings of about $0.01819 kWh. I use very little electricity (very small house), so my last bill had 462 kWh. Thus, I will save about $$8.40/month (imagine if I had a big house!)-- and will probably save even more, considering rates for those who are not locked-in will likely be going up.

Conclusion: I will not be opting-out. I am going to give Verde a try.
Lockport Resident

Lemont, IL

#10 Feb 27, 2013
lockport guy wrote:
So here's the downlow. I called Verde this morning.

(1) They say that, yes, usually there are early termination fees, BUT Lockport negotiated a NO-early termination fee agreement. So, there will be no early termination fees for us; that's excellent news.

(2) Lockport is locked in for 20-months at a rate of $0.04999 kWh for "electricity supply charge." This is a HUGE discount. I looked at prior months' bills and found that the lowest rate has been $0.06123 and the highest $0.07514. That's a mean of $0.06818, so the new rate is a savings of about $0.01819 kWh. I use very little electricity (very small house), so my last bill had 462 kWh. Thus, I will save about $$8.40/month (imagine if I had a big house!)-- and will probably save even more, considering rates for those who are not locked-in will likely be going up.

Conclusion: I will not be opting-out. I am going to give Verde a try.
I opted out. There are other services similar to Verde. I simply do not trust this City Council in any way and wouldn't allow them to be involved in my electricity rates.
STEVE FOR MAYOR

Lockport, IL

#11 Feb 27, 2013
Lockport Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I opted out. There are other services similar to Verde. I simply do not trust this City Council in any way and wouldn't allow them to be involved in my electricity rates.
I opted out also. The city is not going to be involved in my personal business! I do not trust them..period!
DUH

Homer Glen, IL

#12 Feb 27, 2013
Lockport Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Suit yourself. Your unintelligent narrow-mindedness and paranoia is going to cost you....hope it's worth it.
STEVE FOR MAYOR

Homer Glen, IL

#13 Feb 27, 2013
Lockport Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mind me folks! I have low self-esteem because everyone always told me how ugly and stupid I am, so I'm going to reply to my own post to make it look as if I have friends!

I opted out also. The city is not going to be involved in my personal business (UNLESS KELLY TURNER wants in on my "personal business" *wink *wink)! I do not trust them......they stole my period! I haven't had one in 54 years!
Decide yourself

Lockport, IL

#14 Feb 27, 2013
Opt out! I did and unlike national politics no one but my family decides how we spend our money. I don't care what anyone says. Opt out! You will be happy you did. There are lots of these types of companies and you can go with one without being controlled. That is my opinion, and my family called and opted out! We are happy so why should anyone care from this city? That alone made me suspicious.
Decide yourself

Homer Glen, IL

#15 Feb 27, 2013
PIG out! I did and unlike the mental ward I used to be in, no one but the nursing home administrator decides how I spend my money. I don't care what anyone says. PIG out! You will be happy you did. There are lots of these types of crazies (like me) and you can go with one without being eaten alive....smear yourself in mustard, I don't like mustard, so I won't eat you. That is my opinion, wich pretty much means zilch, and my fat arse pigged out! I am like happy & dopey all rolled into one so why should anyone care from this forum? That alone made me stupid beyond belief.
Update Guy

Chicago, IL

#16 May 31, 2013
We did receive an opt-out form from Lockport and a notice from comed. We went with the program, the first bill with Verde was $30.00 less than our normal bill.
ComEd

Lockport, IL

#17 Jun 19, 2013
Update Guy wrote:
We did receive an opt-out form from Lockport and a notice from comed. We went with the program, the first bill with Verde was $30.00 less than our normal bill.
Very happy I stayed with Commonwealth Edison, a name that you can trust!
Barry Goldwater

Lockport, IL

#18 Jun 19, 2013
My first bill was 30% lower also. I know this is a shell game though. Savings won't last. It is just like the natural gas craze right now. They collapse the price of natural gas for a few years, convert everything over and then pretend the EPA shuts down fraking. The natural gas prices will triple and we get screwed. I won't charge you for predicting your 2015-2016 energy costs.
Sensible

Lockport, IL

#19 Jun 22, 2013
ComEd wrote:
<quoted text> Very happy I stayed with Commonwealth Edison, a name that you can trust!
Us too!
Makes sense

Lockport, IL

#20 Jun 23, 2013
ComEd wrote:
<quoted text> Very happy I stayed with Commonwealth Edison, a name that you can trust!
I feel the same way.
Dont be a fool

Lockport, IL

#21 Jun 23, 2013
I stayed with ComEd due to reputation. I do not care if I pay a few dollars more. They have been outstanding in their work to my home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lockport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stop whistling at women! 22 min CaptSpaulding 12
Bolingbrook Worst Cops 29 min Judge 12
Do Republicans even care about sexual assault? 7 hr CaptSpaulding 12
Police Officer gets away with murder......this ... 8 hr CaptSpaulding 36
I am a Vampire seeking a partner in return of e... (May '11) 9 hr Latina18 61
THANK You Alabama!! DOUG JONES WINS!! 12 hr Neighbor is a weenie 7
breaking news!!!!! 12 hr MPMMB 760

Lockport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance