Ambulance service in Lockport

Posted in the Lockport Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Retired Grandpa

AOL

#1 Feb 22, 2010
I wonder how many people like me were not aware of the ambulance fee's in Lockport? If you call an ambulance for an emergency and are taken to the hospital you are charged $800-$1000. I was shocked to hear that.The firemen and paramedic's in Lockport do a great job and I do not want to take that away from them. A lot of seniors like me may think twice before calling an ambulance and that could cost them their life. I am not yet on medicare so the cost would be charged to me and I know I would have to rethink calling myself.
Lockport Opinion

United States

#2 Feb 22, 2010
Retired Grandpa wrote:
I wonder how many people like me were not aware of the ambulance fee's in Lockport? If you call an ambulance for an emergency and are taken to the hospital you are charged $800-$1000. I was shocked to hear that.The firemen and paramedic's in Lockport do a great job and I do not want to take that away from them. A lot of seniors like me may think twice before calling an ambulance and that could cost them their life. I am not yet on medicare so the cost would be charged to me and I know I would have to rethink calling myself.
You are correct. I paid $600 for them to come to my house a while back and they didn't take anyone to the hospital.

In most cases, this can be covered by insurance and I am ok with them charging those that use the services a user fee, instead of raising my taxes more.

Someone who hesitates to call an ambulance must also understand that it will cost a heck of a lot more to bury them than it would to call the ambulance, but maybe this will deter people from calling an ambulance for non emergencies.
cubs fan

Geneva, IL

#3 Feb 22, 2010
i think this is another case of double dipping we pay taxes to the fire dept and then we get charge when they haul us to the hospital. they can say your insurance pays this but who do you think pays the insurance we do.
Red Onion

Lemont, IL

#4 Feb 22, 2010
why dont you find out where the majority of ambulance calls go? They go to a particular area that does not believe in using doctors but uses the emergency room for everything and anything. Then they do not pay for it. Check it out if you do not believe me. It is not something that you can complain about as everyone will jump all over you but it is the truth. Everyone needs to pay if they are not on Medicare but the free aid gets it all free and uses it all the time. It is called free health care.
hmmm

AOL

#5 Feb 22, 2010
cubs fan wrote:
i think this is another case of double dipping we pay taxes to the fire dept and then we get charge when they haul us to the hospital. they can say your insurance pays this but who do you think pays the insurance we do.
Sadly, every suburb is charging these days. New Lenox actually contracted Kurtz, which I don't understand. It is all political.
Fed Up

Lockport, IL

#6 Feb 22, 2010
Your portion of real estate taxes to the Fire Protection District are only enough to cover pensions (not 401k's, but pensions). They have to raise additional revenue somehow. Won't be long before you get a $20k bill for putting out your garage fire or maybe a $7k bill for using the jaws of life to pry you from your car.
Lockport Opinion

Saint Charles, IL

#7 Feb 22, 2010
Fed Up wrote:
Your portion of real estate taxes to the Fire Protection District are only enough to cover pensions (not 401k's, but pensions). They have to raise additional revenue somehow. Won't be long before you get a $20k bill for putting out your garage fire or maybe a $7k bill for using the jaws of life to pry you from your car.
And if you don't pay up at the scene of the accident, they just bury you in the car. lol

I personally prefer user fees for the services we use, instead of constantly raising my taxes. I'm not saying that there probably isn't mismanagement all over the place and our taxes could be spent more efficiently, but I do believe that the people who use the services more should pay more.

A perfect example, if you don't use the park district, would you want them to up the fees to you or just to the people that put their kids in all the programs, use the fitness center and participate in adult programs? These should be user paid benefits, with all the overhead covered by the basic taxes. I have no problem paying for my kids to play baseball or softball and there can always be a provision for those folks that can't afford to pay the user fees, but it is ridiculous for an elderly taxpayer on a fixed income to have to pay a portion of these fees for my kids to participate in when I am making good money and can afford to pay for them.
Just Say No

Lockport, IL

#8 Feb 23, 2010
Lockport Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>And if you don't pay up at the scene of the accident, they just bury you in the car. lol
I personally prefer user fees for the services we use, instead of constantly raising my taxes. I'm not saying that there probably isn't mismanagement all over the place and our taxes could be spent more efficiently, but I do believe that the people who use the services more should pay more.
A perfect example, if you don't use the park district, would you want them to up the fees to you or just to the people that put their kids in all the programs, use the fitness center and participate in adult programs? These should be user paid benefits, with all the overhead covered by the basic taxes. I have no problem paying for my kids to play baseball or softball and there can always be a provision for those folks that can't afford to pay the user fees, but it is ridiculous for an elderly taxpayer on a fixed income to have to pay a portion of these fees for my kids to participate in when I am making good money and can afford to pay for them.
I agree, but I have to point out a problem that I see everyday. You mention a provision for folks that can't afford to pay the user fees. Then you know what, sell the damn Lexus with the $5,000 set of rims on it. You don't know how many times that I see a WIC account used and the groceries get piled into a $50k car. I am all for user fees and you know what, I would have paid a ton for all of the sports and activities my kids were in and I would have been fine with that. But before we go handing out more welfare, how about a quick DMV check for registered vehicles.
Lockport Opinion

Plainfield, IL

#9 Feb 23, 2010
Just Say No wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but I have to point out a problem that I see everyday. You mention a provision for folks that can't afford to pay the user fees. Then you know what, sell the damn Lexus with the $5,000 set of rims on it. You don't know how many times that I see a WIC account used and the groceries get piled into a $50k car. I am all for user fees and you know what, I would have paid a ton for all of the sports and activities my kids were in and I would have been fine with that. But before we go handing out more welfare, how about a quick DMV check for registered vehicles.
You are absolutely correct and you would think it wouldn't be all that difficult for the state to check the secy of state, etc. for any outstanding fees, taxes, child support and then check the DMV for the type of car they have licensed before they give out public aid.
hmmm

AOL

#10 Feb 23, 2010
Lockport Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>And if you don't pay up at the scene of the accident, they just bury you in the car. lol
Your taxes are paying for the maintenance of the parks not the programs but there are senior programs that are free. It seems everything you enroll your children in comes with a price but seniors have programs which are free(which is good).
hi there

Lockport, IL

#11 Feb 26, 2010
You do not need to pay the bill. When you sign a refusal, the form says nothing about paying. And when the bill does come, you are not liable to pay in anyway. Just call the FD's to find out.
Red Onion

Lemont, IL

#12 Feb 27, 2010
Isn't it double dipping to pay the taxes to the fire district on your tax bill and then be charged for an ambulance ride? If they get taxes paid to them as they do, then do they also get medicare payments too? Seems wrong somehow. I think they are a great fire dept. but do not know why that is if you pay on your taxes, you pay again if you are medicare, which I am not yet.
Pete

Glendale Heights, IL

#13 Feb 27, 2010
Red Onion wrote:
Isn't it double dipping to pay the taxes to the fire district on your tax bill and then be charged for an ambulance ride? If they get taxes paid to them as they do, then do they also get medicare payments too? Seems wrong somehow. I think they are a great fire dept. but do not know why that is if you pay on your taxes, you pay again if you are medicare, which I am not yet.
I understand how you feel. I feel the same. But also realize that your tax bill would not even cover the cost of one ambulance run to your house.
Amy T

Lemont, IL

#14 Feb 28, 2010
My husband is always on this computer making up stories and using false names. I have decided to take a break from my art work and write a few lines. Tax money is tax money. Some of these areas abuse the use of the ambulance and they do not pay but we pay if we use it. They use the ambulance to go to the ER and they do not use doctor's offices at all. It is not fair that they do not pay and constantly use it. It should be looked into, they are not in Lockport city but unincorporated Lockport. Fair is fair. The ambulance service should not be abused.
Roseann

AOL

#15 Feb 28, 2010
Amy T wrote:
My husband is always on this computer making up stories and using false names. I have decided to take a break from my art work and write a few lines. Tax money is tax money. Some of these areas abuse the use of the ambulance and they do not pay but we pay if we use it. They use the ambulance to go to the ER and they do not use doctor's offices at all. It is not fair that they do not pay and constantly use it. It should be looked into, they are not in Lockport city but unincorporated Lockport. Fair is fair. The ambulance service should not be abused.
They have no health insurance, so when they get so bad, they go straight to emergency. Hospitals must take everybody, doctor office what money up front.
Lockport Opinion

Bartlett, IL

#16 Mar 1, 2010
Roseann wrote:
<quoted text>
They have no health insurance, so when they get so bad, they go straight to emergency. Hospitals must take everybody, doctor office what money up front.
Most of the people that use the service the most aren't paying the fee either. This is just another way for the fire department to throw an additional tax on the rest of us.

I'm still for user fees, but they need to make sure the folks that use it repeatedly should pay up the money too or provide community service for using it.
Lockport Leroy

Chicago, IL

#17 Mar 1, 2010
Lockport Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>Most of the people that use the service the most aren't paying the fee either. This is just another way for the fire department to throw an additional tax on the rest of us.
I'm still for user fees, but they need to make sure the folks that use it repeatedly should pay up the money too or provide community service for using it.
Ha. Just when you cannot find a way to stoop any lower, you find away to do it again!

You oppose the development of our community, always, and everytime, and now you are attacking people who are in dire straits for urgent medical care!

You have no compassion, and the buck always stops with you. You are an arrogant low-life who looks for any oppurtunity to hold back services from the needy. It is some sort of sick and twisted game for you, isn't it?

You and your buddy Hardliner, and Trout, are blatant fools. You use this site to promote negativity and harm the helpless. It is very, very sad.
Just Say No

Plano, TX

#20 Mar 1, 2010
Lockport Leroy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha. Just when you cannot find a way to stoop any lower, you find away to do it again!
You oppose the development of our community, always, and everytime, and now you are attacking people who are in dire straits for urgent medical care!
You have no compassion, and the buck always stops with you. You are an arrogant low-life who looks for any oppurtunity to hold back services from the needy. It is some sort of sick and twisted game for you, isn't it?
You and your buddy Hardliner, and Trout, are blatant fools. You use this site to promote negativity and harm the helpless. It is very, very sad.
SPAM from ollie, the self-admitted pedophile and convicted sex offender. Served 9 years in prison for molesting a 12 year old boy.
Amy T

Lemont, IL

#21 Mar 1, 2010
Roseann wrote:
<quoted text>
They do not all wait until they are a basket case and go in the ambulance. I once had a nurse tell me they come in with a cold, sniffles, pain in their back that is muscular, etc. No health insurance, well go to work, at McKonalds or somewhere and pay for it. I know who you are.
Roseann

AOL

#22 Mar 1, 2010
Amy T wrote:
<quoted text> They do not all wait until they are a basket case and go in the ambulance. I once had a nurse tell me they come in with a cold, sniffles, pain in their back that is muscular, etc. No health insurance, well go to work, at McKonalds or somewhere and pay for it. I know who you are.
I'm sure there are hypochondriacs that frequently visit the emergency as well. The point of this whole conversation is unnecessary calls for an ambulance and the many people that lack insurance to pay. They could put a lien against their house for non payment but the renters usually(not always) get away for non payment. There are the drunks who fall and get hurt or even beaten up and land up at Silver. Joliet police will no longer lock them up but instead take them to the hospital.

Amy, your name is not familiar to me, so I can't say I know you. If you are trying to say I abuse the system and have no health care because I lack a job, your wrong. I would have no problem attaining a job at Micky D's but highly unlikely they would hire me to flip burgers with a Masters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lockport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pete Colaelli, Venezuelan Hero 9 min El Pedro 1
Who is Mike Bonomo? 16 min Sandra 8
Who is Jim Petrakos? 19 min 1st Ward 1
Investors never invest their own money (Apr '11) 45 min help 8,132
Boehner and McConnell on 60 Minutes 1 hr Bond Pete Bond 1
Are these 4 people cyber stalking Turner? 1 hr EJCDad 6
Turner's Low Approval Raing 13 hr KTurner 9
Lockport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web