Fired and rehired: Double-dipping rai...

Fired and rehired: Double-dipping raises questions -

There are 9 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 9, 2007, titled Fired and rehired: Double-dipping raises questions -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Alan Schneider, Suffolk County's chief personnel officer, retired on Feb. 12 only to return to work the next day in the same job.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Phil - Coram

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Oct 9, 2007
This is just more of the political greed our politicians are taking advantage of. Why would there be any difference between the amout you can get if your 64 or 66. The age limit should be changed to 75. The law was probably made when the life span for most people was 65-70, now its 80+. If they don't change the law, then you can bet they will be next in line for the same thing when they reach 65.

If you worked for the Federal government and retired you could never receive a pension if you went back to work for any federal agency.
anon

Orlando, FL

#2 Oct 9, 2007
how can this be "legal"?
if it is , then why cant public servants call in sick for a day and get hired on overtime??
just another example of why taxpayers have the highest taxes in the nation.someone has to pay the bills the morons think of to scam the state.
Civil Service Worker

Hempstead, NY

#3 Oct 9, 2007
There are plenty of things wrong with state and county government, but I don't see this as one of them. A law will not stop it. The retirees will still be able to work under a slightly different title and still do the same job.
poppy

AOL

#4 Oct 9, 2007
the rich get richer once again some poor middle class/ lower class worker cant make a fair wage but these hogs stay on a the feeding bindge for as long as they can while getting thier sons/daughters and friends jobs this is why the banks are being robbed / gas stations stick ups you name it you should print thier addresses so the robbers /stick up guys will know where to go on thier next job fair doesnt work hard work still doesnt get you there this is just another joke being played on the tax payers of this state the only thing we can hope for is that die so the next rich guy can move up what a joke
seamas

Bridgeport, CT

#5 Oct 9, 2007
just another case of scum bags abusing the system.
cheap at twice the price

Pleasantville, NY

#6 Oct 9, 2007
Al-Qaeda you want to endear yourself to the USA worker. There appears to be a problem with American executives and corrupt politicans. They are firing workers while taking big salaries, bonus, and stock options. They cook the books and mostly get away with it. Do you have a solution?
Terry

Patchogue, NY

#7 Oct 9, 2007
I don't understand how Levy can justify this. He is too cheap to get county cars for Child Protective Caseworkers - yet administration is seen driving those same cars out of state and to meetings. He is too cheap to hire more employees to keep children safe and the workers safe, yet he will rehire after retire and spend more of the counties money - you can't tell me that there are other experience people who are prepared to step up to the plate and take over their positions. If you say that, you are lying!
Politics is all about working for the county - just like giving jobs to caseworkers who haven't taken a test but because they are known by administration they get the position - politics, lying, stealing, no guilt, doesn't give a damn, or sleeping all the way to the top -
However you want to say it, it is wrong!!!
tired of be abused

Patchogue, NY

#8 Oct 9, 2007
I can't believe Levy justified this - how could he? I guess being friends with someone at the top pays off -
But, that's why he is too cheap to give Child Protective Caseworkers county cars - he doesn't care if the worst can track down a caseworker by the license plate of an individuals car. He doesn't give a damn if the children of Suffolk County can't have a caseworker visit them more often. After all, it's not his children (it could be). But he will somehow, justify, paying a retiree twice his/her salary to be rehired. What about those who were trained to take over a retirees job. Ohhh, there aren't any because Levy won't hire more workers.
Politics, knowing someone, or sleeping to get to the top. However, you say it, it's wrong!
Coco

East Meadow, NY

#9 Oct 10, 2007
seamas wrote:
just another case of scum bags abusing the system.
I echo your comment EXACTLY !
anistas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lloyd Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cancers around Cerro Wire (Feb '08) Wed Kenny 10
News Hicksville Teen accused of hammering friend (Mar '08) Feb 5 PrivateEye 435
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Feb 3 Slascala 32
li locksmith & alarm co Jan 31 tony 1
iLoveKickboxing Hicksville Jan 30 linds12 1
Whatever happened Jan 18 Matsato Yoshi 1
Tarrantino murder (Mar '15) Jan '16 joey b 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lloyd Harbor Mortgages