It's all about posturing

It's all about posturing

There are 22 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 28, 2008, titled It's all about posturing. In it, Newsday reports that:

This is a bill that should have had the good grace to stay dead. Now, like a vampire imperfectly slain, it arises from the coffin and roams the land.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Frank

Bronx, NY

#1 Apr 28, 2008
Once again, Newsday cant make the simple distiction between LEGAL and ILLEGAL.

Murdoch cant buy this liberal rag soon enough.
SuzieQ

Torrington, CT

#2 Apr 28, 2008
Bill IR1105 does not deal with immigration status. Those in the media are against anthing that will ultimately bring sanity to an insane situation. They are trying to portray this as an anti-immigrant bill and that is not so. It will just make sure that everyone who is working is paying taxes and not using false documentation. The rest is up to the federal government.
who pays

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#3 Apr 28, 2008
As a former LEGAL IMMIGRANT who was proud to hold green alien registration card until I became a citizen, I am disgusted by this same garbage by Newsday trying to lie about immigrants being stigmatized. Beedenbenders bill deals directly with illegal immigration and Coopers bill is just a smoke screen for all those weasel politicians like Cooper whose contituents want cheap labor and no enforcement of immigrations law. Newsday editors are too dishonest to admit that the two bills are two different issues. Yes, the Cooper Bill is about posturing for the cowards legislators that will not vote on the Beedenbender Bill. Newsday has the audacity to bring up wasting taxpayer dollars on the bill but never mentions the billion wasted on illegal immigration. The weasels will defeat the Beedenbender bill because most politicians and Newsday writers are weasels.
Jane from Babylon

Corning, NY

#4 Apr 28, 2008
The Newsday editorial staff majored in "Limousine Liberal Writing 101." Does Newsday have "border" guards at it's headquarters on Pinelawn Road? Does it have fencing and barriers? Or, can anyone just walk in?

We need enforcement of existing employment laws and compliance with new federal Social security # verification. Every bit of common sense, like Beedenbenders bill, that can be injected into our county should be welcomed. Instead, Newsday still can't make the distinction between LEGAL and ILLEGAL.
Clear Vision

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Apr 28, 2008
The county should not condone breaking the law. Contractors should be required to verify every employee.

Jon is an out-of-touch elitist who just wants cheap lawn care for Lloyd Harbor.
I Have His Wallet

United States

#6 Apr 28, 2008
Newsday Editors - your days are numbered! You will not be missed.
snouts in the air

AOL

#7 Apr 28, 2008
as the newsday editorial board prepares to march out the door rupert murdoch is sure to hold open for them, they stii have their snouts proudly in the air as they give the tax payers of long island the finger once again. the love they have for their illegal alien friends has never dimmed. right to the bitter end. never mind that you can't give newsday away to illegals, that doesn't matter. the cause is all to the stalwart board members. so long, bon voyage and goodbye to the newsday editorial board members. not even your illegal alien friends will miss you when your gone.
Allan

Richmond Hill, NY

#8 Apr 28, 2008
If anyone thinks that undocumented people are getting such a good deal, how about lining up to trade places with them? I will personally arrange for a job with a landscaper, as a dishwasher, house cleaner, etc. for an average of 12 hours a day without benefits. Take your car away along with your license, and move you into an overcrowded apartments. And when you get sick, you can go to the great medical facilities available to them for health care. Anybody want to get on line for this deal?
stay home illegals

Shrub Oak, NY

#9 Apr 28, 2008
Allan wrote:
If anyone thinks that undocumented people are getting such a good deal, how about lining up to trade places with them? I will personally arrange for a job with a landscaper, as a dishwasher, house cleaner, etc. for an average of 12 hours a day without benefits. Take your car away along with your license, and move you into an overcrowded apartments. And when you get sick, you can go to the great medical facilities available to them for health care. Anybody want to get on line for this deal?
is it your idea that anyone in the world that wants to come here is entitled to do so? are you bleepin nuts?
I Have His Wallet

United States

#10 Apr 28, 2008
Allan wrote:
Hey Allan,

The first place to get in line is the line where you apply for legal entry into our country! Until you stand on that line I have no sympathy. I mow my own lawn and as a teenager I worked as a dishwasher - gruelling work to be sure. Fact is that they are not doing the jobs American's won't do - they are doing the jobs that Americans can no longer afford to do. As to healthcare, they use our emergency rooms which by and large are the best medical facilities on the planet! If you need emergency medical attention, you'd best go by ambulance as every triage area in every emergency room has a long line of people waiting and the vast majority of them need someone who habla espanol.
Southbound

Kansas City, MO

#11 Apr 28, 2008
Newsday's editorial team shows in their final (we hope) days that their liberal heads are way up their liberal *****.
Yes, the idea of the bill is to make it harder for contractors to utilize ILLEGAL immigrants as under priced help. But it's not the illegal immigrant most of us are looking out for; it's the apprentice craftsman, the LEGAL immigrant, and the college or high school student whose jobs have been given to these invaders. Even if their jobs still exist, the wages for these jobs have been driven down significantly by virtue of the fact that there are people willing to work cheaper. Newsday just doesn't get it. Newsday's editorial teams are enablers of this new sub-class of law-breaking individuals who have broken the law to be here, and who are taxing our resources beyond their capability. When all of the social systems collapse under the weight of these invaders, what then? Will you liberals step up and reach into your pockets to pay to support these people? Will you set up shelters in your garages?
Apparently the liberal mind is blind to the social cost of illegal immigration. Blind to the unchecked flow of diseased and criminal immigrants who are pouring into the country unchecked. And blind to what adding millions of underpaid, uninsured, and unskilled laborers are doing to the job market.
This bill starts us down a long road to recovery. This bill does in fact make it harder to make it as an illegal, as it should. If we make it more difficult to survive as an illegal here in the US, fewer will come, and we'll have to deport fewer later. That's the goal. For the US to manage and control immigration. To require that applications are submitted. To allow us to review applications and select and reject potential immigrants based on their backgrounds and our system's ability to absorb the new citizens.
Anything else is social suicide and the liberal editorial team should be bright enough to see that.
Perhaps this is the Newsday liberal editorial team's parting shot at Long Islanders. The legacy of the liberal editorial team will be to have completed in the destruction of LI's tax base. Well, good riddance to all of you. Maybe you could engineer a move to San Francisco or someplace where you'd fit right in with the self-destructive nuts.
Loyal Democrat

Wantagh, NY

#12 Apr 28, 2008
Allan wrote:
Not me.

But your post reveals much of a problem being well hidden.

Your post clearly lays out the awful conditions and compensation these poor, undocumented individuals must endure.

We should put an end to such a market which traffics in cheap slave labor and forces people to live like they are third world citizens.

It is shocking that people in America are supporting what amounts to Slave Labor, and doing so in the name of human rights.
henican-t

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Apr 28, 2008
Allan wrote:
then back to where they came from.......
press 1 for english

Tucson, AZ

#14 Apr 28, 2008
Allan wrote:
Hi Allen,

I live and work in a blue colar neighborhood, which, now thanks to illegal immigrants, is turning into boarding room haven.

My teenage son can't get a job mowing neighbors lawns, because 10 years ago one landscaper hired a bunch of Mexicans...but they don't work for him anymore. Now they work for the one smart Mexican who got his drivers license, bought a beat up pickup, and underbid his old boss by 20%.

I can't call any hotline anywhere without being asked to press 1 for English. Let alone the local deli that used to serve NY deli food, is now serving a menu I have no idea how to order off of. I stopped going in years ago. Same with the food store next door, when half the signs were in Spanish.

For the record, I have sat in line behind landscaper after construction worker in the ER, all brown skinned and bleeding. Yeah, their blood was red like mine, but their wallet didn't bleed the green dollars mine did.

I should mention my grandparents were immigrants. Ellis Island. They came over as a family, and couldn't afford to send money over to their family overseas. The families overseas didn't need the money, and understood that coming to America meant saying goodbye, not "send me a money order."

So when you talk about the plight of the illegal immigrant, you're neglecting to talk about the plight of the American, who worked hard here in America to build a certain standard of living.

We now have a new breed of immigrant that KNOWS that Americans must stoop to THEIR standard of living.

Let them start with YOU, Allen.
press 1 for english

Tucson, AZ

#15 Apr 28, 2008
oh, it looks like newsday doesn't like the color b r o wn being used.
rcs

United States

#16 Apr 28, 2008
Public officials should be taking serious measures to have only people with proper paper work in this country working.
Stop making up excuses for illegals. We owe them nothing
when they break our laws. Jonathan Cooper enconced in
secluded Lloyd Harbor does not have to contend with the problems. Play by the rules and your welcome! Can I flop in there country?
Allan

Mineola, NY

#17 Apr 28, 2008
I am still waiting for names and addresses of all those who want to trade places with those undocumented immigrants who are getting such a great deal. Your names...just your names and addresses and we'll get you set up with an immigrants life for a month...maybe just for a week, because from the sound of your whining, you couldn't work that hard for the "great deal" they are getting. Either trade places with those who are getting a "great deal" or shut up!
Bill

Morris Plains, NJ

#18 Apr 28, 2008
If federal las are sufficient to cover "these issues" why is the county infested with criminal invaders? Newsday you cannot pull the wool over our eyes!
Bill

Morris Plains, NJ

#19 Apr 28, 2008
Allan wrote:
I am still waiting for names and addresses of all those who want to trade places with those undocumented immigrants who are getting such a great deal. Your names...just your names and addresses and we'll get you set up with an immigrants life for a month...maybe just for a week, because from the sound of your whining, you couldn't work that hard for the "great deal" they are getting. Either trade places with those who are getting a "great deal" or shut up!
Hey Al you shut your fat trap. No one has to trade places with anyone to ask that our countries laws are enforced and illegal invaders removed. Thier plight is of no consequence to me. Let the bastards go home and cry about thier conditions and have them take your miserable ass with them.
I Have His Wallet

United States

#20 Apr 29, 2008
Allan wrote:
You are an idiot - I mean idiota Allan or is it Alan amigo?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lloyd Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cops: Wantagh Man Burglarized 10 Homes in 3 Months (Sep '10) Jun 14 Grammar Nazi 292
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Jun 7 Anonymous 45
fire Jun 3 ambudrive 1
Review: Edward J Yule Law Offices (Nov '08) May 31 alanjshort 13
Cancers around Cerro Wire (Feb '08) May 30 Cheryl Slippy 12
News Huntington to install metal detectors at town hall (Jul '15) Aug '15 mjjcpa 2
News Loitering bill in trouble (Mar '07) Apr '15 Rated X 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lloyd Harbor Mortgages