Suffolk lawmaker offers new working s...

Suffolk lawmaker offers new working status bill

There are 61 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 23, 2008, titled Suffolk lawmaker offers new working status bill. In it, Newsday reports that:

Suffolk Legis. Jon Cooper on Wednesday introduced a resolution aimed at derailing a controversial proposal to require the county's licensed contractors to verify their employees' legal working status.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
HarleyRider

Colnbrook, UK

#1 Apr 23, 2008
I think "legal working status" is the exactly what is needed. Kepp it simple
Dave

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#2 Apr 23, 2008
People in N.Y. just dont get it. You need to get rid of the illegal Mexicans, Jamicans Haitains and all the rest. Follow Arizona, look what they have done, they are leaving in droves, and they have no trouble filling the jobs that these illegals had.Get rid of your bleeding heart polticals.
Charles Morgan

Stamford, CT

#3 Apr 23, 2008
Could it be that the reason we have illegal immigration is that we allow illegal immigrants to work in this country?

Wouldn't requiring an employer to verify the legal status of his workers ensure that jobs go to US Citizens?

Aren't US lawmakers SUPPOSED TO ADVOCATE FOR US CITIZENS?!?!?!

WHAT COUNTRY DO WE LIVE IN!!!!!!!!
Winners

Bronx, NY

#4 Apr 23, 2008
What does working status of illegals have to do with labor unions?

Am I missing something here?
what

Roslyn, NY

#5 Apr 23, 2008
An important item is missing from the news story, when does this guy come up for re-election so we can get rid of him?
Kokomo Joe

United States

#6 Apr 23, 2008
How about you stick to the original plan. I noticed that folks who think we should lighten up on the illegals aren't exactly offering them subsistence or a room in their homes! Easy to give way when it doesn't affect you personally. That's how we take that, personally.
jack

United States

#7 Apr 23, 2008
Suffolk Legis. Jon Cooper (D-Lloyd Harbor) is an A Hole...as is anyone who ever votes for him .
Spuds

Wichita, KS

#8 Apr 23, 2008
HIDDEN COSTS OF IMMIGRATION

An adjunct fellow of the Manhattan Institute has compiled some of the most comprehensive research on how immigrants and illegal immigrants are really affecting America.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/PhyllisSch...

Here are some of the lowlights.

American taxpayers are coughing up more than $9,000 a year in cash or benefits to each immigrant this country. One third (and I think this number is low) of those immigrants are illegal. So there are 37 million criminal immigrants in the United States. This means that the national cost of immigrants and illegal immigrants in this country last year was more than $346 billion – twice the fiscal deficit. The author of the research, Edwin S. Rubenstein, says this is because "Immigrants are poorer, pay less tax and are more likely to receive public benefits than natives." Wow. I'll alert the media.

When it comes to the financial burden on our government schools, 3.8 million immigrants – I'm guessing the majority are illegal -- are enrolled in the most expensive government classes – non-English speaking. They are the most expensive because they require schools to hire specialized teachers, to train those teachers, and absorb the administrative costs. It is estimated that $1,030 is spent on each immigrant or illegal in government schools ... that's about $3.9 billion.

Want more on that government education you are so in love with? Of the 48.4 million government school children in this country, 19% are immigrants or children of immigrants. But get this, in the next few years, immigration will account for virtually all increases in government school spending.

So how about all of those criminal aliens sitting in US jails? It costs US taxpayers $1.5 billion to incarcerate 267,000 criminal aliens in federal prison for a year. Even worse, since prisons are overcrowded, 80,000 to 100,000 criminal aliens have been prematurely released back onto the streets. These criminals impose heavy costs on their victims. The research estimates that the loss of income and property, hospital bills and emotion suffering at the hands of immigrants and illegal totals $1.6 million per victim.

Many people will try and tell you that immigrant households don't receive government benefits ... not so. Almost 25% of immigrant households receive Medicaid. Compare that number to the number of native-born Americans that receive Medicaid – 14.8%. Hispanics account for 19.2% of Medicaid enrollment, even though they are only 13.7% of the population.

And here's something that few people will talk about – immigrant workers actually depress the wages received by native-born Americans. This causes a $100 billion shortfall in federal tax revenue. If the labor force from immigration increases by 10%, this reduces the wages of native-born Americans by over 5%.
Mark Verderame

Colombia

#9 Apr 23, 2008
We have another problem, the supermarkets, King Kullen and Pathmark have been hiring illegal aliens with false papers for the last 5-6 years. The jobs our children could be getting to earn extra money, the second job for a household (i.e. unemployed spouse) or someone recently fired or downsided cannot even find work because these positions are being overrun by our supermarkets and car washes. Especially all the car washes in Suffolk county. These business need to get rid of these illegals or face tremendous fines for violating the law.
Spuds

Wichita, KS

#10 Apr 23, 2008
Illegal immigrants need to be made not welcome and it needs to start at the local level.
Eliot Spitzer

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Apr 23, 2008
sounds like the same exact thing to me. this is just the same bill, but in politically correct form. way to trick all of us, coop.

stick to banning snow from car hoods, will you?

“Once Saved...Always Saved!!!”

Since: Jan 07

Bastrop Louisiana

#12 Apr 23, 2008
Another way around allowing companies to employ illigal immigrants.
who pays

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#13 Apr 23, 2008
Jon Cooper is a coward and so are all the political weasels who cannot confront the illegal immigration issue. They stand for nothing and his resolution is meaningless garbage. Put Beedenbenders proposal to a vote. Too many landscapers in LLoyd Harbor working off the books and hiring illegal immigrants that Cooper is protecting.
BOB

AOL

#14 Apr 23, 2008
Is it now OK to pick and choose which laws we want to follow or should all the laws on the books be followed until they are legally changed?
maggie

Calabash, NC

#15 Apr 23, 2008
Residents of Suffolk county should keep on top of their local politicians and voice their opinion as to which bill would be most beneificial>Call their offices and let them know how you feel..

Remember -- YOU VOTE THESE PEOPLE INTO OFFICE... YOU CAN RID THEM OUT OF OFFICE AS WELL..

"Legal working status" must be met -- or contractors risk losing their license to do business on Island.
Two people wrote

Bronx, NY

#16 Apr 23, 2008
Jon Cooper is an ultra-liberal jack-off, when are people go to have enough of this guy's left wing garbage? As far as he's concerned, anything goes, no rules, no limits no consequences. The only sensible thing he has sided with is the cell phone while driving ban, which is odd because it's a free for all with everything else. All these quality of life issues he fights for all the time never seem to have the quality of life for the white, working majority on Long Island.
Clear Vision

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Apr 23, 2008
Any contractor who cannot verify the status of every one of their workers should have their contractor's license revoked. All Cooper cares about is having cheap lawn care.
Pedro Gohomez

Fishkill, NY

#18 Apr 23, 2008
Next they'll be trying to hand out drivers licenses again.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Gary

Ridgewood, NY

#19 Apr 23, 2008
When are these piece of crap politicians going to finally start listening to their constituents? I dont know a single person that would not support legislation to require that anyone that wants to work in here be here legally.
no mas cucarachas

White Plains, NY

#20 Apr 23, 2008
S C U Z Z Y contractors prevail. Honest, legitimate ones lose again. CRIME PAYS as long as our crooked politicians pander to the criminal element.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lloyd Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Use millions to transform Long Island MacArthur... 1 hr Islandwide 4
New York City Correction Officers Vs. Police Of... (Sep '07) Mon Van Buren St Guy 118
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Mon Bianca mangiaracina 57
News MS-13 Gang "Entrenched" On Long Island (Aug '07) Apr 13 LibHater 111
News Police: Man Arrested for Reckless Endangerment ... (Feb '11) Mar 26 You are a Douchebag 6
News 4 Levittown brothers accused in $70-million coi... (Nov '08) Mar 26 John 428
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Dix Hills Mar '17 spappas93 1

Lloyd Harbor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lloyd Harbor Mortgages