Ranking at AH Roberts

Posted in the Livingston Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mom

Jamestown, TN

#1 Aug 8, 2011
I just moved down here to be closer to family and I have a daughter who will be starting the first grade. I registered her at AH Roberts but when I went to see who her teacher was going to be I overheard some of the parents talking about the classes and children being ranked by their "intelligence". Is this true? If so why do they do this?

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#2 Aug 8, 2011
because kids who r smarter need advanced classes so they dont get bored
Mom

Jamestown, TN

#3 Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for the response. I asked this morning and that is exactly what they told me. I just didn't understand why some of the parents were fussing about it.
Hijack

Nashville, TN

#4 Aug 9, 2011
Because they have dumb kids and they were hoping to get them through 12 years of free babysitting before anyone noticed their children were functionally illiterate.

I'm glad to know they do pay attention to kids who might have strengths other than throwing and/or catching a ball. What exactly is available as far as gifted or AP courses in OC?

Location hidden

#5 Aug 9, 2011
Mom wrote:
Thanks for the response. I asked this morning and that is exactly what they told me. I just didn't understand why some of the parents were fussing about it.
My kids go to hilham, and there they have what they call the SA students and SB students, the sa students are more advanced, and go to a dif math/reading classes than the SB students. I think its a good thing
which group

Nashville, TN

#6 Aug 9, 2011
um yeah1212 wrote:
<quoted text>
My kids go to hilham, and there they have what they call the SA students and SB students, the sa students are more advanced, and go to a dif math/reading classes than the SB students. I think its a good thing
I think the administration at AH Roberts for the last few years are in the SB group. The new principal will be no better than the last. Big E strikes again.
lol

Gainesboro, TN

#7 Aug 9, 2011
The new prinicpal will be fine. She is a lot like her father and gets things done. The ranking is a product of No Child Left Behind. It is a good thing, and the only reason people want to complain is because they think their kids are the top of the line, but in school, they do lack. Therefore, they don't want them with the "slow" group. At least they are being taught and at a pace they can learn at.
Just a Visitor

Livingston, TN

#8 Aug 9, 2011
Seperating students by ability, studies show, provides the best opportunity for ALL students. When a student is taught at their level or speed, they are more apt to achieve. Students at a current higher level are not bored or restless as the material it taught at lower levels. Students at lower levels do not feel lost because the material is currently over their heads.

By teaching students at their level, all students tend to achieve at higher rates. At that should be our one and only goal.
Wondering

Charlotte, NC

#9 Aug 9, 2011
Is Bridgette still the principal there? We left when Teresa did.. My kids really liked her and so did I but we just so happen to move the same time she did.
Excuse me

Jamestown, TN

#11 Aug 9, 2011
That last comment is VERY wrong because I have a child that is gifted and I sure did not pay for them to be in that class nor do I have the money.
crazy

Monterey, TN

#12 Aug 10, 2011
Just a Visitor wrote:
Seperating students by ability, studies show, provides the best opportunity for ALL students. When a student is taught at their level or speed, they are more apt to achieve. Students at a current higher level are not bored or restless as the material it taught at lower levels. Students at lower levels do not feel lost because the material is currently over their heads.
By teaching students at their level, all students tend to achieve at higher rates. At that should be our one and only goal.
How can you judge a child by 1 test score? there is lots of kids including older teens that does not test well when it comes to certain tests, why should a childs education be hindered just because he had an off day on one test. It would be different if they taught them the same curriculm just moved a little slower but they dont' there curriculm is completely different than the other kids in the same grade, so once they get placed in the slow class then they are there for the rest of there life, and will never make it through high school much less college because they will never get the same opportunity as the kids that get lucky and ace a single test. I know kids that can score extremely high on a test but when it comes to class room they cant' do the work, seen it happen last year.

Location hidden

#13 Aug 10, 2011
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you judge a child by 1 test score? there is lots of kids including older teens that does not test well when it comes to certain tests, why should a childs education be hindered just because he had an off day on one test. It would be different if they taught them the same curriculm just moved a little slower but they dont' there curriculm is completely different than the other kids in the same grade, so once they get placed in the slow class then they are there for the rest of there life, and will never make it through high school much less college because they will never get the same opportunity as the kids that get lucky and ace a single test. I know kids that can score extremely high on a test but when it comes to class room they cant' do the work, seen it happen last year.
It isnt decided by one test silly. they base it on all around grades and such.
yo momma

Nashville, TN

#14 Aug 10, 2011
rickman 57 wrote:
IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO HOW MUCH MONEY THE STUDENT PARENTS HAVE$, AND FOR THE TEACHERS THEY SHOULD HAVE A HIGHER DRESS CODE,I SAW A COUPLE OF TEACHERS,THIER PANT'S WERE SO TIGHT iknow for a fact that they need help getting them Off!!
GET EM HOTT ENOUGH THEY SLIDE RIGHT OFF, REAL FAST LIKE
QUITCHABICHIN

Nashville, TN

#15 Aug 10, 2011
You might as well just go with the flow and not even waste your time or energy on decisions this board makes. I believe they are all illiterate, and the only way they are placed is by who they know. Most of the upper grade teachers at A.H., especially, are nothin but a bunch of fat asses that couldn't make it in the real world if they had to - yeah you know who you are!!!!!!!!!!
jim

Monterey, TN

#16 Aug 11, 2011
um yeah1212 wrote:
<quoted text>
It isnt decided by one test silly. they base it on all around grades and such.
if thats the case then why would a child be placed in a more advanced class when he can't pull the work if its based on the all around grades then they should of seen that the child couldnt' pull it. is that why some kids is A-B stundents and they place them in the slowest class the very next year? Has nothing to do with the all around grades.

Location hidden

#17 Aug 11, 2011
My kids are in a a-b system, They do well with it. as do most of the students. I believe if a student has trouble learning at a faster pace...... they need the slower pace. But if another student gets bored by the slower pace, they should be in the faster paced classes. Its just a duh situation
50 Pockets

Jamestown, TN

#18 Aug 11, 2011
Mom wrote:
I think the reason parents fuss about it is the kids who are put in the low groups are labeled and they carry that all thru school and I don't like it. I think the kids all can learn from each other, as well as the teacher.

Location hidden

#19 Aug 12, 2011
50 Pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the reason parents fuss about it is the kids who are put in the low groups are labeled and they carry that all thru school and I don't like it. I think the kids all can learn from each other, as well as the teacher.
Why should other kids be held back from their full learning capacity because some students learn slower?? That is not fair to students with greater potential. And no they do not carry it all through school. Hard work and lots of studying can boost them to the higher group, if they have the ability. I think this is a good system. Kids learn at different paces, some faster some slower. I think teaching them at thier pace is a wonderful thing. I think you are probably just mad because your child is in the low group. No one is saying the lower group is "not as smart" just that they learn slower. They are at thier grade level, its just the ones in the higher group is a little more advanced
50 Pockets

Jamestown, TN

#20 Aug 12, 2011
um yeah1212 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should other kids be held back from their full learning capacity because some students learn slower?? That is not fair to students with greater potential. And no they do not carry it all through school. Hard work and lots of studying can boost them to the higher group, if they have the ability. I think this is a good system. Kids learn at different paces, some faster some slower. I think teaching them at thier pace is a wonderful thing. I think you are probably just mad because your child is in the low group. No one is saying the lower group is "not as smart" just that they learn slower. They are at thier grade level, its just the ones in the higher group is a little more advanced
Yes but when they test they are expected to be on the grade level they are in. And any more it's all about the test.
50 Pockets

Jamestown, TN

#21 Aug 12, 2011
um yeah1212 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a kid in the school system. I am a kid in the school system. And I am not in the low group. BUt I have seen A groups be ugly to the B groups alot. ANd I don't like it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Livingston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 47 min WTSenior 152,499
hottiest women in hilham (Nov '08) 2 hr Auggie 47
I would like to get laid 2 hr Auggie 4
Debate: Gay Marriage - Livingston, TN (Jul '10) 4 hr Brian_G 882
new AH Roberts VP 6 hr IKE 17
AH Roberts parents lend me your ear 10 hr Tombstone 1
overton county school system 10 hr sdf 447
Livingston Dating
Find my Match

Livingston Jobs

Livingston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Livingston News, Events & Info