Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

What a joke we have for a school board. Can't even vote for a director of schools. We new a whole new board starting tonight.....
Family

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Ray smith wants to talk about top management in system. Why is it that Hilham 6th grade class got
Hurt last year due p the school board not putting a good math teacher when the one teacher got caught for DUI and it was hide. Then the teachers this year in 6th grade are trying to get caught up and have no help from the principle at all. But oh yea she is a good leader. Get your facts straight Ray Smith and what corporate place can a leader tell the board off and still have a job. Get real elected people get a backbone or let's elect better people.
Joke

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Now changing the meeting again what a joke. Guess they did that so hays can't vote for the director. It's a joke
Backbone

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Family wrote:
Ray smith wants to talk about top management in system. Why is it that Hilham 6th grade class got
Hurt last year due p the school board not putting a good math teacher when the one teacher got caught for DUI and it was hide. Then the teachers this year in 6th grade are trying to get caught up and have no help from the principle at all. But oh yea she is a good leader. Get your facts straight Ray Smith and what corporate place can a leader tell the board off and still have a job. Get real elected people get a backbone or let's elect better people.
Kudos to Andy Mitchell. The live stream is outstanding. Family you are exactly right I only saw 2 board members that said anything back to eldredge. He blasts the board and only 2 people speak up. Courage anyone?
haha

Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Joke wrote:
Now changing the meeting again what a joke. Guess they did that so hays can't vote for the director. It's a joke
3 IN 1 aren't you ? all the above
change

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Joke wrote:
why can't hays vote for the director at the next meeting?
parent

Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Just stayed up to watch the OCBE work session, and I want to applaud Matt Eldridge. I haven't always agreed with him, and never expected to, but he was right on point with his comments to the board. They are charged with the responsibility to set policy and select the director of schools. That's it, period, end of statement. I would like to think that our non partisan school board would work with the director of schools for the best possible education for our students with our limited resources, and that politics would not be an issue, but I guess I overlooked the personal agenda of so many on the board.

General thoughts and observations:
1) school board members should come prepared. We don't just pay them to sit at the meeting and ask vague questions and pontificate. They should research things and offer solutions, not just whine and drag things out.
2) if a school board member did contact a teacher via text message or any other way and provide direction, that school board member owes the teacher and the board a sincere apology and a promise to refrain from similar activity in the future. I would like to hear the specifics of this. Are they as thick as thieves and just protecting one another?
3) this "head chopping list" suggests that we have a dysfunctional board. How can they work together for the common good if they can't discuss things in the open with one another. If such a list ever existed it could only serve to spread doubt and fear, the school board members have no power over hiring and firing of anyone other than nontenured teachers and the director of schools.
4) everyone should fill out the evaluation. It is never easy to put a numerical grade on anyone, teacher, director of schools, or even a student. But then again life isn't always easy. Pull up your big boy pants and do the job that you were elected to do. Politics should not be a part of this, we expect, no we demand better.
5) look at your own budget and determine if you want SRO officers or fine arts or some combination. Our school system isn"t exactly flush with money, manage, don't whine.
6) if there is any truth to this rumor of inappropriate teacher contact and the "chopping list" there should be some changes on the board and it should happen before the next election.

These folks were elected to help with the schools, not prop up their own families, or to push their own political agenda which was mentioned in some form or fashion or make themselves fill self important. This is a big job, a hard job, even a thankless job, but one that needs to approached in a workman like fashion, not for grandstanding. The board needs the support and encouragement of the community when they turn their focus back to the policy management of the school system. Heaven help us, and the children of Overton County!

Oh yeah, and to keep or replace Eldridge, I'm not sure which is best, but be ready to stand by your decision whatever it might be and work with the director of schools, don't just sit back and second guess him or her.
give me liberty

Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

I agree Parent. Well said.
by stander

Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

I will hand it to eldredge for standing up to the board and standing his groung. on the other hand he should hire the best qualified instead of just county people. and why are they voting on thing that have already ben done? there are a lot of things that he is letting happen that should be taken care of reguardless of who it is that did it. he may have good intensions, but needs to address each issue and do what is right and what is best for the childrens education. keeping the aids just to keep them a job with the money situation the way it is, is not what we need. in other words, the school system needs to cut the budgett on a lot of trips, hirings, excess employees, automobiles, bonuses, and things things that they don't have to have.

yes, they all have jobs with a lot of pressure from all sides, but it they can't handle it then don't run for your position the next time. leave it to some one that can take the pressure and do the job correctly.
Truth

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

parent wrote:
Just stayed up to watch the OCBE work session, and I want to applaud Matt Eldridge. I haven't always agreed with him, and never expected to, but he was right on point with his comments to the board. They are charged with the responsibility to set policy and select the director of schools. That's it, period, end of statement. I would like to think that our non partisan school board would work with the director of schools for the best possible education for our students with our limited resources, and that politics would not be an issue, but I guess I overlooked the personal agenda of so many on the board.
1) school board members should come prepared. We don't just pay them to sit at the meeting and ask vague questions and pontificate. They should research things and offer solutions, not just whine and drag things out.
2) if a school board member did contact a teacher via text message or any other way and provide direction, that school board member owes the teacher and the board a sincere apology and a promise to refrain from similar activity in the future. I would like to hear the specifics of this. Are they as thick as thieves and just protecting one another?
3) this "head chopping list" suggests that we have a dysfunctional board. How can they work together for the common good if they can't discuss things in the open with one another. If such a list ever existed it could only serve to spread doubt and fear, the school board members have no power over hiring and firing of anyone other than nontenured teachers and the director of schools.
4) everyone should fill out the evaluation. It is never easy to put a numerical grade on anyone, teacher, director of schools, or even a student. But then again life isn't always easy. Pull up your big boy pants and do the job that you were elected to do. Politics should not be a part of this, we expect, no we demand better.
5) look at your own budget and determine if you want SRO officers or fine arts or some combination. Our school system isn"t exactly flush with money, manage, don't whine.
6) if there is any truth to this rumor of inappropriate teacher contact and the "chopping list" there should be some changes on the board and it should happen before the next election.
These folks were elected to help with the schools, not prop up their own families, or to push their own political agenda which was mentioned in some form or fashion or make themselves fill self important. This is a big job, a hard job, even a thankless job, but one that needs to approached in a workman like fashion, not for grandstanding. The board needs the support and encouragement of the community when they turn their focus back to the policy management of the school system. Heaven help us, and the children of Overton County!
Oh yeah, and to keep or replace Eldridge, I'm not sure which is best, but be ready to stand by your decision whatever it might be and work with the director of schools, don't just sit back and second guess him or her.
You didn't watch it online. Hell I tried to and only got sound and barely a picture. I'm certain you were in attendance and Eldrege appreciates you're vote of confidence. The board members would certainly apprecate you conducting a class on how to be a board member. Eldrege can say what he wants because as you say obvously nobody well at least most of them has no big boy pants to pull up.
Hogeye Fan

Shelbyville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

parent wrote:
Very well said!
Hogeye Fan

Shelbyville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You didn't watch it online. Hell I tried to and only got sound and barely a picture. I'm certain you were in attendance and Eldrege appreciates you're vote of confidence. The board members would certainly apprecate you conducting a class on how to be a board member. Eldrege can say what he wants because as you say obvously nobody well at least most of them has no big boy pants to pull up.
If your gonna talk down about somebody at least spell their name correctly. Do you honestly think anyone can read this mess with all your misspelled words? Invest in a dictionary! It's Eldridge with an I not an E!
Wrong

Manchester, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You didn't watch it online. Hell I tried to and only got sound and barely a picture. I'm certain you were in attendance and Eldrege appreciates you're vote of confidence. The board members would certainly apprecate you conducting a class on how to be a board member. Eldrege can say what he wants because as you say obvously nobody well at least most of them has no big boy pants to pull up.
YOU need a new computer or speakers or something, I'm watching it right now on the Livestream website and the audio is loud and clear. The picture is clear to.
haha

Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Hogeye Fan wrote:
<quoted text> If your gonna talk down about somebody at least spell their name correctly. Do you honestly think anyone can read this mess with all your misspelled words? Invest in a dictionary! It's Eldridge with an I not an E!
Didn't realize Eldridge was in the dictionary. lol.I read the post ok, not too many misspelled words imo. I can't find gonna in my dictionary.lol
Hogeye Fan

Shelbyville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

haha wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't realize Eldridge was in the dictionary. lol.I read the post ok, not too many misspelled words imo. I can't find gonna in my dictionary.lol
5 to be exact and check your dictionary again!
haha

Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Hogeye Fan wrote:
<quoted text> 5 to be exact and check your dictionary again!
I could read it ok of course I realize some are not that talented.
ontrack

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Ok to get back on the topic. I'm glad that Eldridge is going to throw a hissy fit about T. Johnson or V. Eldridge hearing they are on the chopping block when he has said the same thing about teachers. Teachers, principals, and aides have all dealt with his rants for years and been told they can just go to the house. At no point did he say he wanted the job because he had a vision or a plan to better the system.
pppsh

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

ontrack wrote:
Ok to get back on the topic. I'm glad that Eldridge is going to throw a hissy fit about T. Johnson or V. Eldridge hearing they are on the chopping block when he has said the same thing about teachers. Teachers, principals, and aides have all dealt with his rants for years and been told they can just go to the house. At no point did he say he wanted the job because he had a vision or a plan to better the system.
So, you're either Leslie Norrod or you're quoting her exactly. Know what I'd like to see? Leslie form a complete thought in public that doesn't trail off into "you knows" "and stuffs" "and what about, like,"
ontrack

Stanley, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

pppsh wrote:
<quoted text>So, you're either Leslie Norrod or you're quoting her exactly. Know what I'd like to see? Leslie form a complete thought in public that doesn't trail off into "you knows" "and stuffs" "and what about, like,"
Nope. Not Norrod. I agree that there are a lot of things that she doesn't have a clue on. My post was not in defense or support of anyone. Just someone that isn't blind.

Did anyone notice that Eldridge said the principals had a combined 10 years worth of administration experience? Who was it that replaced all of them and hired inexperienced people? Oh yeah...lol
pppsh

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Sorry, quoting her exactly would sound more like

"I was, like, wantin' to know what your goals was for the next, I mean, this was, like, some baby rant."

Matt is the director. It's his job to lead the board, if that means telling them to stop scaring the hell out of teachers and department heads, that's what he's supposed to do. He kept it above board, didn't name names. Someone clearly took it personally, though.

Doesn't sound like the issue is mentioning that teachers might get fired. Sounds like the issue is board members talking about it directly to the teachers to get them to change their opinions on things (and, you know, like, stuff.)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 30
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Livingston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 11 min 1LuckyDad 9,271
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 19 min Julia 144,742
New sheriff already firing deputies 42 min bob 10
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr rights 8,609
snobs 6 hr know better 5
natural gas prices 6 hr batman 24
Sadler Smackdown of 2012 (Dec '12) 8 hr Amanda 403
Sorry a?? People in clerks office 10 hr Reasoning 45
Men To Avoid 11 hr Professor Fate 28
overton county school system 15 hr YELL 290

Search the Livingston Forum:
•••
•••
•••