Considering renting a car from Mike S...

Considering renting a car from Mike Spears Auto? Don't get ripped off...

Posted in the Livingston Forum

Warning

Whittier, CA

#1 Jan 13, 2013
First off before you even read my story here's a helpful tidbit of info for you.

Mike charged me $236+$75 and I had to provide insurance which as another $55.
This got me a 99 taurus with dents,dings and cig burns in the seat.
Mileage limit was 1050miles
Total price:$366
------
Enterprise charges $151(including tax/fees)+$70(under 25 fee)+$55 for 3rd party insurance from Protectyourbubble.com

This would have gotten me a 2013 Chevy spark.

The total price would have been $276 and I would have gotten a way better car.... And enterprise will pick you up!

Fun fact: Even if mike hadn't screwed me on my deposit, His rental would have still been $20 higher than enterprise for the crap 99 taurus. And if You are over the age of 25, your enterprise rental would be $70 cheaper than mine saving you a total of $90!

------

Seriously... If you can avoid dealing with this scum, Please do, Go for rent from enterprise,hertz,the nissan dealership... Anywhere but this guy.

I rented a car from mike for the christmas vacation for 1 week, Booked it a month ahead of time... It seemed more feasible than paying enterpeise $10 extrea per day for an "under 25 fee"(I am 22). Mike quoted me $236 for the week, and a $75 "clean up deposit" which he assured me I would get back.

Once I arrive at his lot he tells me that the car is not clean yet, But i'm a rather patient person so whatever, I sit in the little trailer for 2 hours waiting on this, While another customer rolls up with a flat tire and gets taken care of first... I was even willing to let this slide.

When he finally has the car ready for me, It's a 99 taurus with complete with a tape deck,dents,dings,scratches and cigarette burns.... I'm willing to let all of this slide... I didn't think to do a walk around as after 2 hours I was ready to get the hell out of there, And I assumed that mike was informed of the poor condition of the vehicle.

So I proceed to drive this hunk' o' junk for the week that I am in TN.... And on a positive note I did not have any mechanical issues and the tires appeared to be in decent shape.

The trouble happens when I sent my mother to return the car. First.... Mike would not answer his cell phone when the time came to return the car. She tried multiple times to reach him before leaving the car on the lot.

The next day he called her back claiming that I had scratched the car, She sent me pictures of the scratches that I supposedly put on the car, and Although I can't prove this because I just took the car rather than inspecting it at the lot before driving off...

Mike knew what he was doing from the beginning, He knew after 2 hours of waiting in his cold trailer with nothing but a broken tv that I would more than likely rush away without checking anything.

Unfortunately I have no method of recourse, As I did not inspect the car before renting and I do recognize that this if my fault, I'm not out to get my money back, I make enough money and obviously this scumbag needs my $75 more than I do.

I just wanted to warn others of my experience, and save you from being overcharged for a 14 year old car.

If you insist on dealing with this guy... Please do an inspection and ensure that every single dent,ding,scratch and blemish is noted on the paperwork... Unless you like giving money away to greedy car salesmen.
citizen

Livingston, TN

#2 Jan 13, 2013
A lot of us know all about him im surprised your mother didnt.. like you said you will know next time
Unbelievable

Cookeville, TN

#3 Jan 14, 2013
If I was going to rent a car I would rent from someone that has new vehicles.
Hijack

Nashville, TN

#4 Jan 14, 2013
This is why we can't have nice things.

This kid comes from out of town, doubtless his mother is home grown, he may be as well... and thinks "Local Business" before "National Franchise."

And what happens?

Gets screwed over by a guy with a sketchy reputation.

(I have no facts about Mr Spears, I know him from his reputation. Which is sketchy. Sketchy enough that multiple people advised me to not deal with him when I was looking for a vehicle.)

Also, hey everyone, try Googling "Livingston" and ANYTHING ELSE. The #2-8 results for practically anything you can mention... is a Topix Slam thread.

Come to Livingston! Where everyone agrees, the businesses are owned by total scumbags,the law enforcement is either terrifying or incompetent, and the local government can't tell you that perpetual motion (or an "energy creating device) is a physical impossibility!

(I'd try starting a Positive Reviews thread but we all know how that's going to end. Or never end.)

My only point here is, gripe about Wal-Mart all you want, but even locals don't want to do business here anymore and there is no faith whatsoever in our elected officials. Warranted or not, those are the facts on the ground. This is what needs to be addressed before we can expect things to get any better.

First step? Get Topix to take down THIS ENTIRE FORUM.
Hijack

Nashville, TN

#5 Jan 14, 2013
To be clear: That last part was a joke. I do not advocate censorship in any form, but the dark and giggly part of me does want to see what happens if people get their toy taken away.

I think it's great that anyone can post what they want, but I also know Topix is an unfair reflection of the community. It's a statistically irrelevant sample group of people a) with internet connections and b) interested in shoveling filth behind a fake name.(Yes, that includes me. Calm down, I know it.)

I guess I don't really have a point after all. It's just aggravating, speaking as someone who used to brag on how decent people were ten years ago, before we started eating each other like rats in a barrel.

We should say nice things about people who do good?

How does one address unfair business practices on a community level?
citizen

Livingston, TN

#6 Jan 14, 2013
If you cant swim you are ass crap out of luck , We are at the River Of No Return.
Hijack

Nashville, TN

#7 Jan 14, 2013
Ok, there's one thought. Let's put "admit defeat" on the back burner for now, shall we? Anyone else?
Kelly

Manchester, TN

#8 Jan 14, 2013
Hijack wrote:
This kid comes from out of town, doubtless his mother is home grown, he may be as well... and thinks "Local Business" before "National Franchise."
And what happens?
(I have no facts about Mr Spears, I know him from his reputation. Which is sketchy. Sketchy enough that multiple people advised me to not deal with him when I was looking for a vehicle.)
Also, hey everyone, try Googling "Livingston" and ANYTHING ELSE. The #2-8 results for practically anything you can mention... is a Topix Slam thread.
Come to Livingston! Where everyone agrees, the businesses are owned by total scumbags,the law enforcement is either terrifying or incompetent, and the local government can't tell you that perpetual motion (or an "energy creating device) is a physical impossibility!
(I'd try starting a Positive Reviews thread but we all know how that's going to end. Or never end.)
My only point here is, gripe about Wal-Mart all you want, but even locals don't want to do business here anymore and there is no faith whatsoever in our elected officials. Warranted or not, those are the facts on the ground. This is what needs to be addressed before we can expect things to get any better.
You are spot on, as usual. There is VERY little positive that anyone can say about Livingston and the 'scumbags' that reside there. All one needs to do is drive down the main street, eat in one of the food establishments, or spend 15 on this God forsaken site to have these points driven home. The posts on TOPIX for all to see REALLY show how uneducated, twisted, perverted, careless and clueless the population in general truly is!! It's horrific! And the worst part is.....THEY DON'T CARE. AND THEY REJECT ANY CHANGE to improve their town & it's image. They revel in ripping each other off or ripping each other to pieces. They take great pride in dragging people through the mud, intimidating one another, bullying, stealing, gossiping (NO ONE is offlimits in the category), & could care less that Livingston is circling the drain quickly. There are few, if any, redeeming qualities about the town & its residents. Everything you said is absolutely the truth and then some. Citizen isn't too far off the mark, either.
I'm so glad I moved away from there a few years ago. It was laughably backwards back then, but the past few years it has sunk to even new and deeper lows.
Bravo to you guys for digging out of the mire and calling a spade a spade. I guess Livingston does have 1-2 wise & decent residents...... the rest are boils on the ass of humanity.
Warning

Whittier, CA

#9 Jan 15, 2013
Livingston isn't that bad, I know alot of good folks from there, I used to hang out at the pool hall back in the day and play music there... Always had a good time with good company, As a matter a fact i've been to/played shows in all kinds of places and still have yet to find a place like it anywhere in this country from south carolina to los angeles...

This guy is just a jerk... Not everyone in livingston.
cookeville has WAY more jerks than livingston for sure lol
Kelly

Manchester, TN

#10 Jan 15, 2013
Warning wrote:
Livingston isn't that bad, I know alot of good folks from there, I used to hang out at the pool hall back in the day and play music there... Always had a good time with good company, As a matter a fact i've been to/played shows in all kinds of places and still have yet to find a place like it anywhere in this country from south carolina to los angeles...
This guy is just a jerk... Not everyone in livingston.
cookeville has WAY more jerks than livingston for sure lol
Have you even read 1 or 2 of these forums? We read them occasionally for kicks because my family has a few friends that are from there. Just pick out any 1 or 2 topics & you'll see my opinion is nearly proven. I now live in NC (using my sisters internet as I'm in town for a break). Because of my job, I am also well travelled..from Boston, Chicago, Denver, Austin & many big and small towns in between, & I'll agree with you on 1 thing: you won't find a place like Livingston anywhere! And that's a good thing. Cookeville seems like a nice town. I know there are jerks EVERYWHERE. Overton Co just seems to have them in abundance. I take back my comment on 1-2 decent people residing there and will say there are 10. LOL
sure you are

United States

#11 Jan 16, 2013
Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you even read 1 or 2 of these forums? We read them occasionally for kicks because my family has a few friends that are from there. Just pick out any 1 or 2 topics & you'll see my opinion is nearly proven. I now live in NC (using my sisters internet as I'm in town for a break). Because of my job, I am also well travelled..from Boston, Chicago, Denver, Austin & many big and small towns in between, & I'll agree with you on 1 thing: you won't find a place like Livingston anywhere! And that's a good thing. Cookeville seems like a nice town. I know there are jerks EVERYWHERE. Overton Co just seems to have them in abundance. I take back my comment on 1-2 decent people residing there and will say there are 10. LOL
wealthy , well traveled, on your sisters computer in cookeville 'on break' hahahaha
what a loser - hahaha - phony troll - you probably live in Livingston.
hahahaha- If your so intelligent you would know Cookeville Topix is the same as here and every else because ITS TOPIX FOOL..hahaha
get a life and stop your bullshit - it stinks
Kelly

Manchester, TN

#12 Jan 16, 2013
sure you are wrote:
<quoted text>
wealthy , well traveled, on your sisters computer in cookeville 'on break' hahahaha
what a loser - hahaha - phony troll - you probably live in Livingston.
hahahaha- If your so intelligent you would know Cookeville Topix is the same as here and every else because ITS TOPIX FOOL..hahaha
get a life and stop your bullshit - it stinks
Who said anything about wealthy, asshole? Or Cookeville TOPICS? This is the only forum we read because it's chocked full of dipshit ridiculous posts LIKE YOURS! Put up by losers LIKE YOU. Your reply is exactly the reponse expected. YOU make me grateful that I live NOWHERE around here. Thanks for providing us with yet another big hearty laugh!!
Hijack

United States

#13 Jan 16, 2013
I've been on a few Topix. They are mostly like this, but not as bad. There is some degenerate content, there always is anywhere people can use fake names without registering, but plenty of actual discussion as well. More nice things. Cookeville is more like this.

/arguement
obvious

Havana, FL

#14 Jan 16, 2013
Hijack wrote:
And what happens?
You sound an awful lot like a certain employee of Carson Oliver. Shall I share your name?
Hijack

Nashville, TN

#15 Jan 16, 2013
Yeah, sure, let's hear it.
Broke

Jamestown, TN

#16 Jan 16, 2013
Next time ,reserve a rental thru Maynards Collision-they'll have one from Enterprise in Cookeville, waiting for you in Livingston.As far as restraunts,you can't beat J.D.S for lunch or dinner,and Stovers is hard to beat for breakfast.The people in Livingston are some the friendliest people I've ever run into.Go live in any big city,for 6 months,and I'll bet you'll appreciate Livingston a little more

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#17 Jan 17, 2013
I bought a car of of Mike. The car was in great shape, ran perfect. DOnt blame someone because you are not intelligent enough to check the car. That is car rental 101

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Livingston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nikki Hummel 4 min hkk 24
Tara crabtree 16 min lol 8
PLEASE HELP ME keep my job 32 min jay moose 13
4 houses burned in Livingston 53 min Horton hears a Who 26
Poll Who are you voting for Mayor? 2 hr Nobody 122
huddle house new manger (Jan '15) 2 hr johnson1 7
Poll Who are you voting for Alderman between Hooks a... 4 hr Chris N 96
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Livingston Mortgages