LMS basketball team
casual observer

Crossville, TN

#43 Nov 22, 2010
might or might not be wrote:
<quoted text>
you know you are right i never thought of it this way. but what do you do the county schools are supposed to play each other. how would make this a fair game???
I think people should start by talking with the Sup. of Schools. There should be a way for all school to play ball with schools there own size. If some of the smaller schools are going to have to play LMS they need to divide up into about 3 seperat teams. This would be more fair to smaller schools and give other children at LMS a chance to play and get some experience. LMS and posssibly Rickman really have no business playing the other Overton County Schools due to the fact that they out number some of the schools 4 to one. County basketball was more fair back in the day when you still had schools like Alpine, Monroe, Independence and Hardys Chapel. I am not hateing on any school. Just would like to see what is fair all the kid. Big school or small school.
we don it

Columbia, SC

#44 Nov 22, 2010
proud mom wrote:
Good luck tonight tigers
bantam boys varsity girls and both won tonight. it was a physical
game but tiger power won over
Lone Ranger

Jamestown, TN

#45 Nov 22, 2010
casual observer wrote:
<quoted text>I think people should start by talking with the Sup. of Schools. There should be a way for all school to play ball with schools there own size. If some of the smaller schools are going to have to play LMS they need to divide up into about 3 seperat teams. This would be more fair to smaller schools and give other children at LMS a chance to play and get some experience. LMS and posssibly Rickman really have no business playing the other Overton County Schools due to the fact that they out number some of the schools 4 to one. County basketball was more fair back in the day when you still had schools like Alpine, Monroe, Independence and Hardys Chapel. I am not hateing on any school. Just would like to see what is fair all the kid. Big school or small school.
With all the serious problems in our school system---you're kidding aren't you? Talking to the director about something this trivial??? Do you know how far some of these teams would have to travel to play a full schedule of games against teams their own size? Don't they do this when they go to state tournaments to balance the fields? Don't teams from this area usually win or at least do very well in those tournaments? I doubt this will have a lifelong negative effect on these kids--just the parents!
casual observer

Crossville, TN

#46 Nov 23, 2010
Lone Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
With all the serious problems in our school system---you're kidding aren't you? Talking to the director about something this trivial??? Do you know how far some of these teams would have to travel to play a full schedule of games against teams their own size? Don't they do this when they go to state tournaments to balance the fields? Don't teams from this area usually win or at least do very well in those tournaments? I doubt this will have a lifelong negative effect on these kids--just the parents!
From what I can tell I didn't realize that there were serious problems in the Overton County school system. Besides the leader of our school system is there to listen to problems no matter how "trivial" they seem. And no these issues are not worked out at the state level because the smaller schools do not have a chance to make it to the state tournamens. The larger schools always win the county tournaments and thus go on to the state because of the size of there school which allows them a larger pool to pick a team from. Sure the smaller schools have an opportunity to go to tournaments such as the TNT tournaments but there is a fee to play in these plus you have to have had a descent record. These smaller school have 4 automatic losses due to the fact that they have to play 2 schools 2 games each that are 3-4 time there size. It is no fun or fair to the smaller schools. This system is not only unfair to the smaller schools it is also unfair to the larger school. I know children that have much more fun playing a team they can compete with rather than a team that they out skill 3 to 1.
parent

Columbia, SC

#47 Nov 23, 2010
go hawks
guest

Cookeville, TN

#48 Nov 23, 2010
cong tigers on another win.Heard pickett county boys are good
we don it

Columbia, SC

#49 Nov 23, 2010
guest wrote:
cong tigers on another win.Heard pickett county boys are good
they were good but lms just a little bit better. both the boys and girls game were very physical. we had some pretty good refs for a change.
Crazy

United States

#50 Nov 24, 2010
casual observer wrote:
<quoted text>From what I can tell I didn't realize that there were serious problems in the Overton County school system. Besides the leader of our school system is there to listen to problems no matter how "trivial" they seem. And no these issues are not worked out at the state level because the smaller schools do not have a chance to make it to the state tournamens. The larger schools always win the county tournaments and thus go on to the state because of the size of there school which allows them a larger pool to pick a team from. Sure the smaller schools have an opportunity to go to tournaments such as the TNT tournaments but there is a fee to play in these plus you have to have had a descent record. These smaller school have 4 automatic losses due to the fact that they have to play 2 schools 2 games each that are 3-4 time there size. It is no fun or fair to the smaller schools. This system is not only unfair to the smaller schools it is also unfair to the larger school. I know children that have much more fun playing a team they can compete with rather than a team that they out skill 3 to 1.
wow, you really need to check into this more before you start telling them what they should do. First, if you just want to play kids the same school size as you you will be traveling a lot more. They all play each other in this county because it has alwasy been about rivalry, LMS & Rickman have not always won the county. Smaller schools have had plenty of talent ofver the yrs. If you just want to play teams you can beat that are the same size as you...are your kids really learning anything? Sure your record will look better but what happens when they get to LA & they havn't played anything close to the talent they seee at high school level just because they wanted a winning record & had to play school the same size as them. Really...think about the bigger picture.
casual observer

Cookeville, TN

#51 Nov 24, 2010
Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
wow, you really need to check into this more before you start telling them what they should do. First, if you just want to play kids the same school size as you you will be traveling a lot more. They all play each other in this county because it has alwasy been about rivalry, LMS & Rickman have not always won the county. Smaller schools have had plenty of talent ofver the yrs. If you just want to play teams you can beat that are the same size as you...are your kids really learning anything? Sure your record will look better but what happens when they get to LA & they havn't played anything close to the talent they seee at high school level just because they wanted a winning record & had to play school the same size as them. Really...think about the bigger picture.
If you would have read my earlier post you would know that I don't have kids that play. I like to watch. This is not about having a winning record. It is about the numbers. If a smaller school is playing a smaller school there is more competition for both schools. You could play a school more your size and still have a loosing record. LA is not the only highschool around here. I am told kids go school in Putnam, Pickett and Fentress counties to play high school ball. We are not talking about high school. We are talking about the unfairness of a school the size of LMS playing a school the size of Hilham. You wouldn't send TTU's Football team to play the Titans would you? It is the same thing. Like I said before look up the numbers online. LMS has around 437 students 5th -8th grade. A school like Hilham has 292 kid from K-8th grade. It can't be beneficial for a school like LMS to be playing a school that small there is no competition for LMS. Does LMS play any schools smaller than Hilham or larger than they are?
where they were supposed

Columbia, SC

#52 Nov 24, 2010
if all the kids went to the school where they were supposed to go then some of the schools would not be so big. some parents haul thier kids to different schools for many differnet reason. if the county would zone schools and you had to go in the zone you lived things would be different. it is not the ball players fault that the school they go to is bigger than other schools.
Lone Ranger

Jamestown, TN

#53 Nov 24, 2010
casual observer wrote:
<quoted text>If you would have read my earlier post you would know that I don't have kids that play. I like to watch. This is not about having a winning record. It is about the numbers. If a smaller school is playing a smaller school there is more competition for both schools. You could play a school more your size and still have a loosing record. LA is not the only highschool around here. I am told kids go school in Putnam, Pickett and Fentress counties to play high school ball. We are not talking about high school. We are talking about the unfairness of a school the size of LMS playing a school the size of Hilham. You wouldn't send TTU's Football team to play the Titans would you? It is the same thing. Like I said before look up the numbers online. LMS has around 437 students 5th -8th grade. A school like Hilham has 292 kid from K-8th grade. It can't be beneficial for a school like LMS to be playing a school that small there is no competition for LMS. Does LMS play any schools smaller than Hilham or larger than they are?
Just how much importance do you think most people put on a middle school's won/loss record? Oh, by the way, TTU men's basketball team plays Michigan State this Sunday. Wonder who made them do that? Doesn't seem fair!

LMS has always been much bigger than the other schools and people live with that fact. Just exactly what would this accomplish? Do you think it would improve the players' abilities? LMS doesn't always win! A few years ago most of the good boy players went to Allons to play for Coach Melton and they were the best team around. Some people said that wasn't fair, but they lived with it.

Make a list of schools the same size of LMS and see how far they would have to travel to play only those teams. You sound as if you want LMS left out of the county competition. Would that be fair to the kids on LMS?
casual observer

Cookeville, TN

#54 Nov 24, 2010
Lone Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
Just how much importance do you think most people put on a middle school's won/loss record? Oh, by the way, TTU men's basketball team plays Michigan State this Sunday. Wonder who made them do that? Doesn't seem fair!
LMS has always been much bigger than the other schools and people live with that fact. Just exactly what would this accomplish? Do you think it would improve the players' abilities? LMS doesn't always win! A few years ago most of the good boy players went to Allons to play for Coach Melton and they were the best team around. Some people said that wasn't fair, but they lived with it.
Make a list of schools the same size of LMS and see how far they would have to travel to play only those teams. You sound as if you want LMS left out of the county competition. Would that be fair to the kids on LMS?
I absolutely do not want to exclude LMS from county playing. But LMS and Rickman are to large to play the smaller schools. It would be more fair if you broke the exsisting teams from LMS and Rickman into 2 teams. I know of schools in Cumberland county that do this because there numbers are to big. Don't you think that schools like LMS and Rickman are setting themselves up for disappointment when you think that you are very good because you are beating smaller teams and I don't mean a little smaller I mean some are a lot smaller. If you would read my earlier posts you would see that I think it would be best for all schools to play other teams that they can compete with.

By the way the Michigan State vs. TTU game probably will not be counted in there conference record and I bet they chose to play each other and were not forced to by a county rule.

My point is this if a winning record is important than we need to become sanctioned by the TMSAA and play schools you own size. Then no school big or small will have a false sense or how good or bad they are.
casual observer

Cookeville, TN

#55 Nov 24, 2010
where they were supposed wrote:
if all the kids went to the school where they were supposed to go then some of the schools would not be so big. some parents haul thier kids to different schools for many differnet reason. if the county would zone schools and you had to go in the zone you lived things would be different. it is not the ball players fault that the school they go to is bigger than other schools.
I would not put the blame for the school sizez on the children at all. You are exactly right. If you live in Livingston you should go to LMS and if you live in Hilham then you should go to Hilham. The kids are not to blame this is a county issue.
Lone Ranger

Jamestown, TN

#56 Nov 24, 2010
casual observer wrote:
<quoted text>I absolutely do not want to exclude LMS from county playing. But LMS and Rickman are to large to play the smaller schools. It would be more fair if you broke the exsisting teams from LMS and Rickman into 2 teams. I know of schools in Cumberland county that do this because there numbers are to big. Don't you think that schools like LMS and Rickman are setting themselves up for disappointment when you think that you are very good because you are beating smaller teams and I don't mean a little smaller I mean some are a lot smaller. If you would read my earlier posts you would see that I think it would be best for all schools to play other teams that they can compete with.
By the way the Michigan State vs. TTU game probably will not be counted in there conference record and I bet they chose to play each other and were not forced to by a county rule.
My point is this if a winning record is important than we need to become sanctioned by the TMSAA and play schools you own size. Then no school big or small will have a false sense or how good or bad they are.
I have an idea! Let's break the county down into 2 classes like high schools do--say A and AA. LMS and Rickman in AA and everyone else in A. We just play teams within our class. Class A teams play each other twice and LMS and Rickman play each other 10 times. Wouldn't that be fun!

I understand what you are saying but your solution is just not logical. Playing teams twice and 3 times your school size happens on all levels. Look at Pickett County. Almost every team they play has a much larger enrollment than them and how many state titles have they won? Same thing with Trousdale County football. You will never get to be a good team if you never play teams that are as good or better than you are!
guest

Cookeville, TN

#57 Nov 25, 2010
Some of you ppl act like LMS shouldn't be allowed to play basketball because they are a larger school.Whats up with that
casual observer

Cookeville, TN

#58 Nov 25, 2010
Lone Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an idea! Let's break the county down into 2 classes like high schools do--say A and AA. LMS and Rickman in AA and everyone else in A. We just play teams within our class. Class A teams play each other twice and LMS and Rickman play each other 10 times. Wouldn't that be fun!
I understand what you are saying but your solution is just not logical. Playing teams twice and 3 times your school size happens on all levels. Look at Pickett County. Almost every team they play has a much larger enrollment than them and how many state titles have they won? Same thing with Trousdale County football. You will never get to be a good team if you never play teams that are as good or better than you are!
I am not saying that Rickman and LMS need to only play each other. There are other schools that are within 10 to 30 miles of here that are there size. Traveling is just part of the game. When these kids hit High school they will have to travel to stay in their class. The point I am trying to make is that when smaller schools have to play larger schools (2 times a season) it doesn't give the smaller schools a chance to have a decent county record. Small schools may have only 1 or 2 kids with skill while the larger schools will have about 2 teams of skilled kids. The larger schools have such an advantage in numbers that they probably cut kids that try out that are on the same skill level as the starters on the smaller schools teams. I agree with you on Trousdale county and Pickett county winning state titles, however, these school have alot of out of county kids that are encouraged to attend their schools. I know that Trousdale county gets kids from miles away.
casual observer

Cookeville, TN

#59 Nov 25, 2010
guest wrote:
Some of you ppl act like LMS shouldn't be allowed to play basketball because they are a larger school.Whats up with that
I have never said that LMS did not need to play ball because they are a larger school. What I would like to see is LMS play more schools that are their size. It would make for better competition for them and be more fair to the schools that LMS out numbers 4 to 1. The numbers are online check them out. When you do remember that every other county school is a K-8th grade school. LMS has as more enrolled int 5th-8th grade than the total enrollment of any other 2 school combined in the county. As I have said before this gives them a greater pool to pick a team from. I am not degrading LMS or
Rickman ball teams both schools have amazing teams.
guest

Livingston, TN

#60 Nov 25, 2010
well we played pickett thurs night and they played a awesome game.Best team LMS has played this session
Lone Ranger

Jamestown, TN

#61 Nov 25, 2010
casual observer wrote:
<quoted text>I am not saying that Rickman and LMS need to only play each other. There are other schools that are within 10 to 30 miles of here that are there size. Traveling is just part of the game. When these kids hit High school they will have to travel to stay in their class. The point I am trying to make is that when smaller schools have to play larger schools (2 times a season) it doesn't give the smaller schools a chance to have a decent county record. Small schools may have only 1 or 2 kids with skill while the larger schools will have about 2 teams of skilled kids. The larger schools have such an advantage in numbers that they probably cut kids that try out that are on the same skill level as the starters on the smaller schools teams. I agree with you on Trousdale county and Pickett county winning state titles, however, these school have alot of out of county kids that are encouraged to attend their schools. I know that Trousdale county gets kids from miles away.
Your solution is still not locical! How many middle schools within 30 miles have the approximate enrollment as LMS? Very few! And how do you think the parents of LMS players would like your solution? Driving twice the distance to see their kids play--would that be fair to them? And you mentioned earlier about not getting to go to the state tournament because of playing LMS and Rickman--if you can't stay in the game with teams in your own county, you have no business in a state tournament!

There is only one high school in Trousdale County so yes, their players come from miles away. And what does having kids from miles away have to do with how small their enrollment is? I was saying that they don't get as good as they are by playing teams their same size. If you want Allons, Hilham, and Wilson to only play each other, they will never get any better!
Turtle

Norwood, NC

#62 Nov 26, 2010
guest wrote:
well we played pickett thurs night and they played a awesome game.Best team LMS has played this session
This Thursday(Dec.2nd) LMS at Rickman ......Girls game probably wont be much of a contest with LMS getting the victory. The boys game should be a barn burner...both boys teams have very good talent ! Better get there early! Lot's of folks around the county have been looking forward to this boys match up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Livingston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Livingston mayor 9 hr resident 19
Livingston Tax Payers Needs To Know. 9 hr resident 8
Donald Trump may have tweeted himself into more... 9 hr resident 2
President Obamacare horse trading 11 hr resident 4
uaw in hutcinson 12 hr Dick 104
Thank You Obama for Wind and Solar Energy with ... 18 hr johnson1asin 4
FOX Proves Yet Again They Are Fake News 19 hr johnson1 13

Livingston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Livingston Mortgages