Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Walmart's First-Ever Retail Worker Strike Spreads To 12 Cities [UPDATE]

AND THESE WORKERS ARE NOT UNION OVERTON COUNTON..

The first retail worker strike against Walmart has spread from Los Angeles, where it began last week, to stores in a dozen cities, a union official said Tuesday.

Walmart workers walked off the job in Dallas, Seattle, the San Francisco Bay area, Miami, the Washington, D.C., area, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Chicago and Orlando, said Dan Schlademan, director of the United Food and Commercial Workers' Making Change At Walmart campaign. Workers also went on strike in parts of Kentucky, Missouri and Minnesota, he said.

Tuesday's walkouts included 88 workers from 28 stores -- a minuscule fraction of the 1.4 million who work at Walmart, the world's largest private employer. Until Friday, when about 60 Walmart employees walked off the job for a day in LA, no Walmart retail workers had ever gone on strike, the union said.

The workers are protesting company attempts to "silence and retaliate against workers for speaking out for improvements on the job," according to a United Food and Commercial Workers news release. Walmart workers, who are not unionized, have long complained of low pay and a lack of benefits.

Some striking Walmart associates plan to protest Wednesday at a Walmart annual investor meeting at its headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., said a striking worker.

"I make $8.90 an hour and I've worked at Walmart for three years," said Colby Harris, 22, of Dallas. "Everyone at my store lives from check to check and borrows money from each other just to make it through the week." The six heirs to Walmart founder Sam Walton, meanwhile, are worth $89.5 billion, or as much as the bottom 41.5 percent of Americans combined.
haha

Livingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

I say great. If they don't want the job quit.Someone else will be glad to take the job. There are plenty who have worked for minimum wages for years and raised and fed their families on it. It was not the best living but beat nothing by far. Most today would rather do nothing and get paid for doing it. That is what's wrong, gotta be big pay or nothing. I wish everyone had a good paying job but it is just not going to happen.
love them

Clarksville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

I love Wal-Mart, be happy you have a job people!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Well if the unemployment number only went down because of the jobs created in retail, as brawny stated in his own post earlier this week, then I would say Walmart was probably amongst the places doing the hiring. You can't get mad at walmart if the only jobs the president is creating is a walmart like job.

Did you stop to think the holidays are just around the corner and maybe the unemployment numbers went down because retailers are expecting a big year this year so they are making seasonal hires right now?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

33 Users are viewing the Livingston Forum right now

Search the Livingston Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 min BOiaF 141,524
Who will win Ron Cyrus or Ben Danner ?? 42 min Tim 2
Do Nothing Republicans 1 hr Amos 1
Who will win for County Court Clerk 1 hr what 8
Webbs 3 hr Amen 21
overton county school system 5 hr listen 173
twice daily shell station 12 hr guest 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Livingston Jobs

•••