New Campus for Charter School

Aug 20, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Http

Six years ago, the Livermore Valley Charter School opened its doors at the Sonoma School, an old school site that once housed Livermore Adult Education and the Livermore Area Recreation and Park District's Friendship Center.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Patricia King

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

LVCS needs to review this move if they want government funding. It will be a horrific case of the "Haves" and the "Have-nots". They are required to have a certain number of minority and/or low-income students in their student population. Believe it or not, NOT that many minority and/ or economically underpriviledged students can drive all the way up to that Costco location.

LVCS = Elitist school.
LVCS MOM

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

MS. King I think you are mistaken and if this does end up being problematic for some students then I would trust LVCS to find a solution. Are Los Positas college and Costco also elitist due to their location?

Patricia King = dogmatic antipathetic dolt
pg_know it

Santa Maria, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

People who go to that Charter School believe their children deserve better than others...with that being said...Children who are enrolled in the basic public school system are socially better off. There comes a point in everyone's life that they are introduced to the real world and,in my opinion, it is better to have lived real life growing up rather than to be tossed in as a clueless whining adult. Also, the parents of these kids are so ultra sensitive that they result to name calling when they don't like whats being said. Patricia's point is...that many under-privileged kids must walk or ride bikes to and from school and do not have the ability to get to the proposed new location...I don't normally see people walk or ride their bicycles to Costco and Las Positas. Correct me if I am wrong???

With all the cuts in schools, I am tired of people expecting a "private school" education on the taxpayers dime.

FYI LVCS MOM...it is Las Positas College...not "LOS". Just a tip from a public school graduate.
LVCS Rocks

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

pg_know it and P. King = clueless, whining adults
pg_know it

Santa Maria, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

LVCS Rocks wrote:
I care about the future of all children, not just a select few. Maybe if you felt like someone cared about you, you wouldn't be so hostile.
LVCS Parent

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

As a parent of two LVCS students I'm also concerned about what Ms. Patricia King brought up. I think a lot of the kids that are in the minority do walk to school. Like LVCS Mom above, I also trust that LVCS will find a solution. But unlike her, I refuse to stoop down to calling names. It sends out the bad vibes and it really makes you look like someone who cannot hold up their end of the debate or conversation when you start calling names.

LVCS Rocks, the same with you. Let's make this topic as a forum of information and opinions and instead of calling names why don't you offer up some solutions.
LVCS Parent

Antioch, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

As a parent of a LVCS student I do not feel that our kids deserve better than others, right now the current school is holding K-8 Grade and is busting at the seams, LVCS also has kids from all over Livermore, many live to far walk or ride their bikes to school, if someone is having a hard time to get to the new location I'm sure some carpools can be worked out. What I do know about LVCS it is a community of people who care and are dedicated in helping our children and you are welcomed with open arms. The new school will be very nice and I welcome all of Livermore to see what it has to offer you may be suprised!
semi charmed

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Oh boo hoo, perhaps they can learn what some here apperatly never have - LIFE IS NOT FAIR -

~Don't complain, work harder~
Just me

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

pg_know it wrote:
People who go to that Charter School believe their children deserve better than others...with that being said...Children who are enrolled in the basic public school system are socially better off. There comes a point in everyone's life that they are introduced to the real world and,in my opinion, it is better to have lived real life growing up rather than to be tossed in as a clueless whining adult. Also, the parents of these kids are so ultra sensitive that they result to name calling when they don't like whats being said. Patricia's point is...that many under-privileged kids must walk or ride bikes to and from school and do not have the ability to get to the proposed new location...I don't normally see people walk or ride their bicycles to Costco and Las Positas. Correct me if I am wrong???
With all the cuts in schools, I am tired of people expecting a "private school" education on the taxpayers dime.
FYI LVCS MOM...it is Las Positas College...not "LOS". Just a tip from a public school graduate.
This is ignorance
Just me

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

This is ignorance!I enrolled my son in the Charter School for other reasons. I am an educated single mom, that was able to buy her first home in Livermore. I am so proud of myself. I moved my child out of a school that he has been in since Kindergarten. If the Livermore, or any public school in the tri valley had some kind of "group" to introduce kids into, my son would be in the public schools. My son was waking up every morning, sick to his stomach, because kids were chest butting him, as he waled to class, just because he was the new kid on the block. When I contacted the school, numerous times within 2 weeks, they said they did not have any kind of group. I wanted my son to meet new people. They just weren't having it.

1 week went by and the school district came to check and see how things were going. I actually started crying when they were at the door, as my son laid in his room. I didn't send my son to a charter school because he was "better" It was because my son was "no One" in the regular high school. Very sad for my family because my son was everything to us and more!

My son is now going to be a Senior, he is aspiring to be a Chiropractor, thanks to his cousin Jodi in NY. People need to believe in others as if they were family members. Our youth is our foundation,
follow the money

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

The only things that matter---

How much is the total package including buildings, land and remodeling to turn office space into classrooms?

What are the yearly payments for this project and how much of that is going to come out of teacher salaries and programs?

Remember that "students = revenue". How likely is it that LVCS will be able to fill the seats of a school that is so remote? If they can't put warm butts in desks, they can't make the payments. Already they are having a hard time generating interest in the High School at the Portola location. I've heard they have about 40 students, and were hoping for 110.

This is a very very risky venture, paid with taxpayer money. Should be interesting to watch.

All the stuff about elitism is interesting, but you are unlikely to get any real traction with that type of rhetoric. If you really want to pursue the issue, call the charter school and demand clear answers to these fiscal questions. When they give you the runaround (they will), get the press involved.
pg_know it

Santa Maria, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Just me wrote:
This is ignorance!I enrolled my son in the Charter School for other reasons. I am an educated single mom, that was able to buy her first home in Livermore. I am so proud of myself. I moved my child out of a school that he has been in since Kindergarten. If the Livermore, or any public school in the tri valley had some kind of "group" to introduce kids into, my son would be in the public schools. My son was waking up every morning, sick to his stomach, because kids were chest butting him, as he waled to class, just because he was the new kid on the block. When I contacted the school, numerous times within 2 weeks, they said they did not have any kind of group. I wanted my son to meet new people. They just weren't having it.
1 week went by and the school district came to check and see how things were going. I actually started crying when they were at the door, as my son laid in his room. I didn't send my son to a charter school because he was "better" It was because my son was "no One" in the regular high school. Very sad for my family because my son was everything to us and more!
My son is now going to be a Senior, he is aspiring to be a Chiropractor, thanks to his cousin Jodi in NY. People need to believe in others as if they were family members. Our youth is our foundation,
Ummm...I wasn't aware the Charter School already had a high school??? I'm not sure I follow your story either...seems almost made up. BTW...name calling is not an argument. You can name call and insult my intelligence all you want...unless you have a valid argument on why a taxpayer funded school shouldn't consider the needs of all children in the community then I am seriously not interested in your sob stories.
Hey PG

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

pg_know it wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...I wasn't aware the Charter School already had a high school???
Thought you "knew it all" LVCS started their high school this year with a freshman class. Pls. don't bash me for any typos etc. I don't claim to be perfect and am not elitist or noncaring. Just for the record too, I am very loved. Also, it's bigoted of you to assume all LVCS parents only care about their own child and no others. Tsk, tsk.

Also, I don't think LVCS mom started the name calling she just seemed to be responding in kind to yours and the other LVCS critics posts. You two are rather mean.
pg_know it

Santa Maria, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Hey PG wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought you "knew it all" LVCS started their high school this year with a freshman class. Pls. don't bash me for any typos etc. I don't claim to be perfect and am not elitist or noncaring. Just for the record too, I am very loved. Also, it's bigoted of you to assume all LVCS parents only care about their own child and no others. Tsk, tsk.
Also, I don't think LVCS mom started the name calling she just seemed to be responding in kind to yours and the other LVCS critics posts. You two are rather mean.
Thanks for the info self proclaimed "loved" person...you didn't provide anything to dispute my argument, instead you call me a bigot??? Really??? Was it my statement about caring about all children, not just a select few that made you come to that conclusion...laughable.
MBP

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

LVCS Rocks wrote:
wow...really? this is how a parent of an LVCS educated kid responds?
Anon

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

pg_know it wrote:
You're misguided. We should put more resources and more investments into the brightest kids, actually, no point wasting a lot of time on the bottom of the barrel. We have all these remedial programs and all kinds of special heroic efforts to try to "equalize" kids who are never going to excel academically; kids who are basically retarded or learning disabled, and for whom the best outcome is that they can live independently, or hold down some kind of menial, manual or semiskilled labor kind of job.

And we spend a fortune trying to "accommodate" a lot of these low-income kids you mention; a lot of them come from what we would call a dysfunctional family of origin environment with regards to education; their parents are uneducated , and culturally not dedicated to education.

And yet we spend next to nothing on the kids who are truly gifted. Our approach to education is misguided, its upside down and backwards, and the public is misguided about all this touchy feely leftist bullcrap about how everyone is equal. Everyone is NOT equal, that's the nature of a biological system.

In any case, at least the charter school provides an environment that allows the exceptional students to reach more of their potential, rather than being held back by the teaching-to-the-lowest-common- denominator of the mainstream system.

It just doesn't work. The leftists and social agitators want to blame it on institutional racism or some other liberal bogeyman, but the truth is that intelligence (and aptitude for academics), falls on a normal distribution.
Anon

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

pg_know it wrote:
People who go to that Charter School believe their children deserve better than others...with that being said...
Yah, well you know what, sometimes that's true. For example, my kid deserves better than some illegal kid or anchor baby. Why? Because my kid is a legitimate citizen, and I'm a citizen. I didn't sneak in here like a thief to steal the services that the citizens of the US provide for themselves.
pg_know it wrote:
You know what I'm tired of? People who expect a free education...who don't pay any taxes, who have no "stake" in our society, didn't contribute to the establishment or upkeep of this system. You know who I'm talking about.

And why should people get to send unlimited numbers of their kids through our educational system, without paying any more for it? A baseline number of kids would be the fairest and most reasonable arrangement. Two would be fair/reasonable. Two kids is the globally and socially responsible "replacement level" for maintaining a stable population, so additional kids should be fee-based. Not having any limit simply encourages people to have irresponsible numbers of brats, and unfairly burden society with their upkeep.
Proud Papa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

I agree with you..very well said.
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're misguided. We should put more resources and more investments into the brightest kids, actually, no point wasting a lot of time on the bottom of the barrel. We have all these remedial programs and all kinds of special heroic efforts to try to "equalize" kids who are never going to excel academically; kids who are basically retarded or learning disabled, and for whom the best outcome is that they can live independently, or hold down some kind of menial, manual or semiskilled labor kind of job.
And we spend a fortune trying to "accommodate" a lot of these low-income kids you mention; a lot of them come from what we would call a dysfunctional family of origin environment with regards to education; their parents are uneducated , and culturally not dedicated to education.
And yet we spend next to nothing on the kids who are truly gifted. Our approach to education is misguided, its upside down and backwards, and the public is misguided about all this touchy feely leftist bullcrap about how everyone is equal. Everyone is NOT equal, that's the nature of a biological system.
In any case, at least the charter school provides an environment that allows the exceptional students to reach more of their potential, rather than being held back by the teaching-to-the-lowest-common- denominator of the mainstream system.
It just doesn't work. The leftists and social agitators want to blame it on institutional racism or some other liberal bogeyman, but the truth is that intelligence (and aptitude for academics), falls on a normal distribution.
Sydney Ann

Pleasant Hill, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2010

Will the seniors get the site that was ripped ab=way from them when the charter school opened? The one they paid 100,000 thousand dollars to fix up...how easy we forget the easily forgotten.

PS- My kids have graduated from the Livermore school district and they are now College graduates with great jobs!
Neighbor

San Ramon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2010

Judged:

All I know, as a neighbor of the current charter school, I am THRILLED that they are moving!
We have lived thru the adult daycare, the day care, the continuation high school, and close to the regular HS, and none of those have been as disruptive in our neighborhood as the charter school. Rude parents - yelling, screaming, slamming car doors, setting off car alarms, parking in private driveways, blocking driveways, speeding, illegal and dangerous u-turns - kids littering, trespassing, stealing from yards - noise and kids cursing in the school yard, obnoxious bells - it all adds up to making a person cranky. What amazes me is that a school that almost declared bankruptcy due to mismanagement of funds, so quickly turned itself around to be able to not only expand to a 2d campus for the HS but now a totally new campus for next year. At least that increase in traffic will only mostly affect those trying to get to a freeway - not those in a neighborhood who are trying to conduct their normal lives (i.e. get to and from work, to and from doctor's appts., etc).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Livermore Discussions

Search the Livermore Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Drop a Word ~ Add a Word (Nov '11) 6 hr Doug77 4,630
Word Association Game... (Oct '12) 11 hr Misty Fitch 1,316
~:Any Word:~ (Sep '13) 12 hr Crazy Jae 233
Cleveland considers online crime reports (Jul '08) 15 hr RSavage 37
cops on Central Tue Hmm! 1
Brandie Hampton Tue been there 1
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) Jul 3 In-Like-Flynn 3,871
•••
•••