Hmm!

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

I am just curious what are my rights and what would be the right course of action for me to take.

My neighbors are into boy scouts and often have late night parties with kids playing, screaming in the back yard till late hours in the night and when I say late I mean 11-1130pm.

It's very hard to put my kids to sleep and sleep myself with constant screaming and banging noises.

Overall they are ok. Yes they have many visitors every now and then who take up the entire street parking but that doesn't bother me as much as late night noise.

I am thinking of talking to them and suggesting the have day parties instead of night. Can I do that?

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Livermore 94551

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

[QUOTE who="Hmm!"]I am just curious what are my rights and what would be the right course of action for me to take.

My neighbors are into boy scouts and often have late night parties with kids playing, screaming in the back yard till late hours in the night and when I say late I mean 11-1130pm.

It's very hard to put my kids to sleep and sleep myself with constant screaming and banging noises.

Overall they are ok. Yes they have many visitors every now and then who take up the entire street parking but that doesn't bother me as much as late night noise.

I am thinking of talking to them and suggesting the have day parties instead of night. Can I do that?[/QUOTE]
After 10pm they can be issued a noise violation by the police. But if you don't want to ruin your neighbor relationship, try talking to them first. I think your concerns are totally reasonable, and they should understand. Maybe after 10pm they could take it inside so the noise doesn't go into your house.
Sal

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

I can sympathise - the past 10 years I've had a similar problem next door. This jerk LOVES to party and acts more like a frat boy than parent.

Screaming kids, club music to drown out that noise and drunk adults yelling over all of that until midnight or later.

Too many times to count we have to close our doors and windows in order to listen to our music, watch TV or take a phone call [NOT kidding]. The a$$ just moved so for the first time in 10+ years we can use our backyard. Everyone has commented how quiet our neighborhood is now that this jerk has left. It's amazing.

Talking to these jerks does no good - they'll act like your an old fart. This guy told me "I can't even use my own backyard" when we complained - he had no clue or concern the impacts of his constant noise had on anyone else. It was impossible to sit side by side outback and have a conversation over his BS. I like to have fun too AND I believe you can have fun while being a courteous neighbor.

Livermore needs to update their noise ordinance that was written 40+ years ago when this was farmland.

Good luck!

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

As stated above, the city has a noise ordinance.....usually talking to them will work, sometimes they simply don't recognize there is an issue until someone brings it up. Good luck!
Hmm!

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2012

Thank you all. I will go talk to them and see how that goes :)

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Keep us informed!

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Livermore 94551

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Let us know how it goes.

My brothers have parties at my dad's house when he's out of town. One night they got pretty loud pretty late. The next day the neighbor came over to express his frustration over no sleep. So having another party that night, my brothers made sure they had everyone inside and out of the pool by midnight as the neighbor had asked. If your neighbors are reasonable people, I think they should understand and make reasonable adjustments for you and your kids.
person

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

My neighbors are loud until 4am and when I call the cops the cops treat me like crap because because they want me to talk to my neigbhors. When other neighbors have talked to the noisy folks they have retaliated by poisoning pets, shooting rockets at other peoples houses and so on. Or they pretend not to speak english and they get up in your face.

My best advice is to keep your mouth shut and try to ignore them.

Level 2

Since: Sep 12

Brentwood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Ignoring them wont make the problem go away, and constantly calling the police before talking to them will only make it worse. I suggest walking over and reasoning with them. Dont tell them that they are being disrepectful and don't try to be neighborhood watch. Simply tell them that you've noticed a trend and would appreciate it if they could keep the volume down. If they decide to be obnoxious about it then keep a log of each incident and call the police when it gets really bad.

I have a similar problem with my neighbors across the street, only difference is my neighbors kids are the ones doing it since the parents are gone. If you notice that these people are drunk or being belligerant then it becomes a safety issue for you and your neighbors and the police should be called only if they are outside doing this. The fact is that no one should have to put up with other peoples excessive noise. Use y our discretion.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Give them he** and never let them get in your personal space. Mine know me very well here. Some learned the hard way but it's all cool now.

Level 9

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

or ignore them

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Livermore Forum right now

Search the Livermore Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Zoo Gets Fruit From Flipped Truck 15 hr Parden Pard 2
Santa Rita Jail Inmate Dies in Custody (Sep '06) Thu JOHN DUPELL in Jail 387
Drop a Word ~ Add a Word (Nov '11) Thu Silly times 4,636
Roadshow: Parking in front of a neighbor's hous... (Aug '09) Jul 29 plusloving123 177
Red UFO Over Livermore California (Jan '09) Jul 29 Drizzle415 36
Debate: Gay Marriage - Tracy, CA (Jan '12) Jul 29 Ssophiiee 22
stop the fireworks! Jul 29 Ssophiiee 14
•••
•••

Livermore News Video

•••
•••

Livermore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••