Complaints about Livermore PD...

Posted in the Livermore Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sandy

Dublin, CA

#1 May 11, 2012
Post them here. I don't mean complaints about thier paychecks, vacation days or about how you broke the law and got caugt. I'm referring to thier performance
In the few short years I've lived here I have yet to have a positive experience with LPD as a law abiding citizen. I've had officers lie to me to get out of following through with a complaint, horrible response time when reporting a crime in progress. 20 minutes later why bother showing up at all?

If you have your own complaints I want to hear about them.
person

Livermore, CA

#2 May 12, 2012
I've called to complain on a neighbor. Every time I went to speak to the neighbor they said they didn't speak english. So I called to cops and ended up getting yelled at "he's not my neighbor. He's your responsibility"

Another time I witnessed a break in and it took them awhile. Then when they showed up they brought the burglars to my home and wanted me to identify them. Like I want criminals to know exactly where I live.

When I call the cops its a last resort or need help straight away. I don't call for small problems.
Nicole

Livermore, CA

#3 May 12, 2012
I've had a lot of ups and downs with the Livermore police. I'd say about half the officers I've encountered were extremely courteous and I appreciate what they have to go through every day. I've also met some that were terrible. Even had one tell me that I should "get a room" because I was sitting in a car talking to a friend while we both had our seat belts on in winter clothing. Also been very dangerously tailgated and cut off in a residential area for seemingly no reason.

Most of the complaints I hear about the police seem to be problems with dispatching. Not sure if that's the right term for who they are but the people who take the phones generally don't seem to care or get angry and say it's not their problem when it's something that is quite obviously illegal.

As civilians all we can do is guess really. I hear there's corruption in just about every police department but there are a lot of good people in the department too. I feel bad when people group them all together.
Jim

Pleasanton, CA

#5 May 12, 2012
I have nothing but positives encounters with the police. They have always been polite and responsive. But then again I am not a crook or drug addict. I think Livermore pd is doing a great job considering the low staffing they are dealing with.

Level 1

Since: Mar 11

Livermore 94551

#8 May 14, 2012
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>I can't believe you'd slam the police saying that they are incompetent. WTF was your 18 year old brother doing on the rooftop of the school to begin with?? Playing hide and seek? Repairing the cracks?? You are a nut bag...

If you hate the cops so much, next time you're in trouble call a crackhead [or your brother].
I call them incompetent because of the 1st degree felony burglary charge. As soon as we went to court, the judge AND DA saw it for what it was (ridiculous) and reduced it to misdemeanor vandalism. Even the school urged the court not to press charges. My review was also prompted by the behavior of the responding officer. Did you read the whole review? Or the updated review?
Bosco

Livermore, CA

#9 May 14, 2012
The few times I've needed them they arrived promptly and were courteous.
Flyer

Livermore, CA

#10 May 14, 2012
I have never had an issue with them -- As a matter of fact the times I have needed their services they were prompt, professional and courteous.

As far as ssophiiee’s bitch is concerned I would assume it is the police departments responsibility to respond to a situation, determine whether a crime has been committed, and charge with the highest level that appears correct.

It is later up to the idiot on the roof of a school’s attorney, the DA, and PD to sort out the actual appropriate charges.
Elizabeth

Oakland, CA

#11 May 14, 2012
Kayla Reed.
Mopar 67

Livermore, CA

#12 May 14, 2012
Flyer wrote:
I have never had an issue with them -- As a matter of fact the times I have needed their services they were prompt, professional and courteous.

As far as ssophiieeÂ’s bitch is concerned I would assume it is the police departments responsibility to respond to a situation, determine whether a crime has been committed, and charge with the highest level that appears correct.

It is later up to the idiot on the roof of a schoolÂ’s attorney, the DA, and PD to sort out the actual appropriate charges.
Amen Flyer!

Police protocol calls for arresting for the most serious offense., The DA can reduce it, but it does not work the other way! Hence LPD is doing what they are paid to do....
Mopar 67

Livermore, CA

#13 May 14, 2012
Jim wrote:
I have nothing but positives encounters with the police. They have always been polite and responsive. But then again I am not a crook or drug addict. I think Livermore pd is doing a great job considering the low staffing they are dealing with.
For sure Jim! 1983 staffing levels when the population was 44k!!
Steve

Livermore, CA

#14 May 16, 2012
Mopar 67 wrote:
<quoted text>
For sure Jim! 1983 staffing levels when the population was 44k!!
They are doing a great job!

Not true on staffing levels. In 1983 LPD had 51 sworn police officers. That being said, the 80 or so that they have today is ridiculous. The city is burning the candle at both ends!

Level 1

Livermore 94551

#16 May 16, 2012
My family, myself, and even my brother will be the first to admit they shouldn't have gone on the roof. But the fact that they were charged with RESIDENTIAL BURGLARY, with no burglary tools on them, one wearing a neon green hat, and all on foot, leads me to believe they don't know what they're doing or someone is on a power trip when they see four 18 year old kids scared out of their minds and decide to go through with a charge like that. Not to mention the fact that the officer was chewing tobacco while taking their statements (all schools are tobacco free zones).

Before this incident, I always highly regarded the LPD. So it's not like I'm one of those people that just hates cops. And even after what happened with my brother, I don't have an overall dislike or hatred for the entire department. I see the way they handle certain incidents downtown (drunks and homeless) and think some of them do a good job. But the way officer Sleeper handled what was some 18 year olds trespassing, has made me question the integrity and competence of certain officers. And considering you can't choose what officer is going to respond to a call, I now question the whole department.

Level 1

Livermore 94551

#17 May 16, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Your brother and 3 of his 18 year old friends were walking home from a party and ended up on the roof of Granada and you call LPD incompetent. Wow!! They were doing their job, then you say it was officer Sleeper, so maybe LPD should put 2 and 2 together and arrest your brother and his friends for throwing concrete at him from an overpass. Sounds like you have a lot of negative things to say about LPD so who knows.
What are you talking about???

Level 1

Livermore 94551

#18 May 16, 2012
hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Your brother and 3 of his 18 year old friends were walking home from a party and ended up on the roof of Granada and you call LPD incompetent. Wow!! They were doing their job, then you say it was officer Sleeper, so maybe LPD should put 2 and 2 together and arrest your brother and his friends for throwing concrete at him from an overpass. Sounds like you have a lot of negative things to say about LPD so who knows.
Are you implying that because my brother had a bad experience with officer Sleeper, he happened to be hanging out on the railroad tracks one night and knew officer Sleeper would be removing debris out of the road at 2:30am, so out of spite he threw concrete blocks and rocks at him? You must be a very spiteful and revenge driven person to think like that. You're probably the type of person who kicks your dog when you're mad at your husband/wife.

btw, I just googled articles about the rock throwing incident. They never released the officer's identity. So assuming it was officer Sleeper (as you say it was), perhaps LPD should put two and two together and realize that you know too much.
get it right

Brentwood, CA

#19 May 17, 2012
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you implying that because my brother had a bad experience with officer Sleeper, he happened to be hanging out on the railroad tracks one night and knew officer Sleeper would be removing debris out of the road at 2:30am, so out of spite he threw concrete blocks and rocks at him? You must be a very spiteful and revenge driven person to think like that. You're probably the type of person who kicks your dog when you're mad at your husband/wife.
btw, I just googled articles about the rock throwing incident. They never released the officer's identity. So assuming it was officer Sleeper (as you say it was), perhaps LPD should put two and two together and realize that you know too much.
Before you criticize the police department and the officer in particular maybe you should get all of the facts. I am a school district employee who had to respond to the school that night your brother and his friends were just "horsing around" on the school roof. What you neglected to mention was the fact that these boys also forced their way into a locker room where they proceeded to trash everything inside, breaking light fixtures, dumping over trash cans, and smashing lockers. They then scattered the contents of the lockers throughout the room. But when that didn't seem to be enough, they removed some football equipment and proceeded to throw it off the roof.

That doesn't sound like just horsing around. I am pleased at the way all of the officers present that night handled the situation. They responded promptly and captured the criminals. All in all "Good Job LPD."
hmmmm

Livermore, CA

#20 May 17, 2012
Ssophiiee wrote:
<quoted text>
I know to much because I am friends with a lot of LPD. Just because I know who it was doesn't mean that I done something wrong. Quite the contrary, I actually support our PD and am friends with a few of them.
hmmmm

Livermore, CA

#21 May 17, 2012
get it right wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you criticize the police department and the officer in particular maybe you should get all of the facts. I am a school district employee who had to respond to the school that night your brother and his friends were just "horsing around" on the school roof. What you neglected to mention was the fact that these boys also forced their way into a locker room where they proceeded to trash everything inside, breaking light fixtures, dumping over trash cans, and smashing lockers. They then scattered the contents of the lockers throughout the room. But when that didn't seem to be enough, they removed some football equipment and proceeded to throw it off the roof.
That doesn't sound like just horsing around. I am pleased at the way all of the officers present that night handled the situation. They responded promptly and captured the criminals. All in all "Good Job LPD."
Good to get the whole story.

Level 1

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#22 May 17, 2012
get it right wrote:
<quoted text>Before you criticize the police department and the officer in particular maybe you should get all of the facts. I am a school district employee who had to respond to the school that night your brother and his friends were just "horsing around" on the school roof. What you neglected to mention was the fact that these boys also forced their way into a locker room where they proceeded to trash everything inside, breaking light fixtures, dumping over trash cans, and smashing lockers. They then scattered the contents of the lockers throughout the room. But when that didn't seem to be enough, they removed some football equipment and proceeded to throw it off the roof.

And now Sophie disappears. What a joke. They should lock her loser brother up and anyone else associated with that mess.
Livermore-reside nt

Oakland, CA

#23 May 17, 2012
Why would a Dublin user start a poll regarding Livermore PD? Anyways...

The times I've dealt with them they were courteous.

Just not a fan of a force that was designed to serve and protect and are now 95% revenue collections.

Motorcycle officers entering and riding down a sidewalk, parking there to look for "distracted" drivers? So, it's okay to break the law to enforce it?

No, officers need to be putting themselves in plain site to help keep honest people honest, not hiding in the shadows hoping to collect some revenue. And while I don't think this is Livermore PD centric, it sure is a global issue. Obviously there are differing circumstances that require a more covert tact, but revenue collection really is not one of them.

How can police offices etc have the respect that "require", by hiding and doing illegal things themselves?

And I have to laugh at the chest thumping reactions of "call a crackhead instead".. HAHAHA demand for respect without offering the same respect. Some folks should not be allowed in law enforcement.

Burning the candle at both ends, yet they can sit for periods of time "revenue collecting", There are arising problems in Livermore that need to be investigated and squashed now, vs allowing it to grow larger. I do know based on conversations with local Law enforcement we actually have some serious gang problems, which luckily is hidden from most of the livermore population, but I don't think it's a problem that is going away, seems like it's growing. And instad of sitting here waiting to catch someone texting, what about dealing with that as well as the homeless issue, the large groups living in vans, partying outside those vans , behind the Ale house for example?

Lots of issues, really should be no time driving down and parking illegally on a sidewalk to bust a "distracted" driver.

And no, I have not been cited as I tend to follow the law (but my right foot has it's own idea's sometimes). And I'm totally okay with cell phone users, txters, people having their dogs on their laps ticketed. But don't do it from an illegal position, get out there and "again" help honest people stay honest.

And yay I guess for 7 new positions over the next x years (sorry don't recall the exact timeframe). But yay only if they are making a difference in our little community and not sitting in the shadows, collecting revenue.
Nicole

Livermore, CA

#24 May 17, 2012
Ssophiiee, it seems your main problem is with officer Sleeper's behavior and the department's general confusion about degrees of burglary. For the record, I agree that if what you say is true then some of his actions were unprofessional. They shouldn't needlessly call the fire department just to make someone they don't like pay for it.

As for the distinction between first and second degree burglary, I did a little research and it widely differs between states and also has a few clauses that can switch it over to first degree. This was on Wikipedia:
"In California, for example, burglary was punished as burglary in the first degree, while housebreaking was punished as burglary in the second degree. California now distinguishes between entry into a residence and into a commercial building, with the burglary into a residence with heavier punishment."
I don't know how long ago they changed it but it seems somewhat reasonable that there would be some confusion. From what little I know about becoming an officer, you take courses on the laws in the academy before you are hired. I wouldn't expect them to memorize every detail about every type of offense. Plus if Get It Right is right about the locker incident, he may have been classifying the contents of the lockers as private property.

All in all, I really don't think you should respect the police department less than before.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Livermore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Santa Rita Jail Inmate Dies in Custody (Sep '06) 21 hr mary 393
Legalize COCKFIGHTING in AGRI ZONINGS to fund p... (Mar '13) Sun Un agenda 21 and ... 84
Low-frequency rumbling or humming sound day and... (Mar '11) Sun Lailathorin 202
HELP STOP UNJUST Persecutions of TAXPAYERS in A... (Aug '13) Jan 23 Un agenda 21 and ... 21
Thugs at Golden Skate in San Ramon Grand Theft ... (Mar '12) Jan 21 unspotted boy 85
Roadshow: Parking in front of a neighbor's hous... (Aug '09) Jan 21 MeMyselfI 190
Reviving Stivers Academy? (May '11) Jan 21 Dana L 42

Livermore News Video

Livermore Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Livermore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:39 am PST

NBC Sports 5:39AM
Raiders adding Sal Sunseri to defensive staff
NBC Sports 6:31 AM
Raiders hire Todd Downing as quarterbacks coach
NBC Sports 7:09 AM
Perry Fewell to interview for position coach job with 49ers
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?
NBC Sports10:39 AM
Alleghany County sheriff: No conflict of interest with deputy working for Steelers