Recommendations for Kung Fu/Karate/ Martial Arts in Livermore?

Posted in the Livermore Forum

BSN

San Jose, CA

#1 Aug 2, 2010
Looking around for a place to start my 7 year old son. Any recommendations.. any bad experiences out there?
babaloo

Dublin, CA

#3 Aug 2, 2010
Stay away from the place on Rincon and the place behind Burger King on Stanley. Perv. problems at both in the past. Why people still send their kids to either and LARPD is still allowing the one on Rincon to run classes through them is beyond me.
Level 1

Since: Sep 08

Livermore

#4 Aug 2, 2010
Are you only interested in Kung Fu or Karate. Because if you are interested in Tae Kwan Do I have the best place. Elite Tae Kwan Do in Livermore. My daughter took it there. Master Avilia, owner and the other instructors are wonderful. I've seen children with very little focus, social skills and even some behavioral issues do very well there. Master Avila has a way of getting respect while giving respect. He not only teaches marital arts etc. But he teaches living rules and safety tips. The students love and respect him and he doesn't yell at them or intimidate them, truly wonderful. He wife teaches gymnastics in LIvermore too.
DojoRat

Livermore, CA

#5 Aug 2, 2010
blessed4: I'm curious if you did research prior to signing up at Elite. If you did, did you discover one of their instructor's arrest record? Did that influence your decision? If you didn't know, but now know, does that change your opinion? Etc.

And I'm not looking to get into a debate about the validity of the accusations or whatever. Just curious about the thought process that went behind going to that specific school, or any specific school for that matter.
Bruce

Dublin, CA

#6 Aug 2, 2010
Oh just come out and spill what you know Rat, don't play games. If you have knowledge of something just say it like it is. Why the hell wouldn't you?
DojoRat

Livermore, CA

#7 Aug 2, 2010
Bruce, this was discussed at length here some months ago. You can google any of this and discover the same info.

One of their main instructors there used to run a school in Dublin. Long story short, there was some type of sleep-over event or something along those lines at his school, and a 14-year-old boy accused him of some sort of sexual misconduct. The case was eventually dismissed, but he has also had several other "negative interactions with law enforcement" as they're called, and has been repeatedly denied a child care permit by the city of Pleasanton.

I know for certain that his school closed in Dublin after the arrest, and that his school closed in Pleasanton after his permits got denied. I've heard rumors about him closing schools in San Ramon and Hayward as well, but I can't fairly coment on those. But yeah, not the best track record.
Joe

Livermore, CA

#8 Aug 2, 2010
I would drive and go to Jues takwon do in pleasanton, Mr. jue is awesome.
DojoRat

Livermore, CA

#9 Aug 2, 2010
I've heard very good things in about Mr. Jue as well. He has a very good reputation.

A lot of TKD schools are absolute jokes, with literally 20-30+ ranks between white and black, 8 year olds being promoted to black belt after a whole 2 or 3 years of training, etc. But yes, Mr. Jue is a guy who has a very good reputation in the business.

Of course I'll still recommend my own! haha
Bruce

Dublin, CA

#10 Aug 2, 2010
DojoRat wrote:
Of course I'll still recommend my own! haha
And which may that be?
Puzzled Granny

Dublin, CA

#11 Aug 2, 2010
http://www.pleasantonweekly.com/news/show_sto...

Dojorat-are you talking about Pfund? I don't believe he is affiliated with Mr. Avila's studio. Where are you getting your info.and why are you spreading false info about other studios if you are a martial arts instructor yourself? What about honesty and integrity, are those not qualities you strive to teach your students? Where is yours sir?
TKD Mom

Oakland, CA

#12 Aug 3, 2010
DojoRat:
Master Avila is the only instructor at Elite TKD. His only assistants are high school kids (and the occasional college student back during school breaks) that are mostly black belts or junior black belts.

He does not do any sort of sleepovers at his school. You are thinking of another case that yes, I read a great deal about both here and elsewhere. I'm not sure how you confused Elite TKD with this other case, but please be more careful with your facts. Misstatements such as yours above can be very damaging.

Everything blessed4 says regarding the high quality of Master Avila's program is accurate. I have been extrememely impressed with Elite TKD and Mr. Avila. I would strongly recomend Elite TKD for any child, especially one that is struggling in any way with attitude or behavior.
BSN

San Jose, CA

#13 Aug 3, 2010
Thank you everyone; for your feedback. There are many schools and styles to choose from. As importnant as the art is the teacher. I studied under Sifu Lacey at Fremont Buk Sing and would enroll my son there if it were closer. Once again, I appreciate all of the feed back on local schools.
TKD Mom

Oakland, CA

#14 Aug 3, 2010
OK, this was really bothering me, but I found the mistake that DojoRat made.

The man he was referring to as being potentially involved in sexual misconduct is John Pfund and he runs a school called "Elite Self-Defense Academy" on 2nd Street in Livermore. I don't know how long this school has been there, but I *think* it is fairly new.

The school that blessed4 and I spoke very highly of is "Elite TaeKwonDo Academy" and is on Wright Brothers Ave, also in Livermore. This school has been there since 2003.

These two schools have NOTHING to do with each other. You can find both schools websites via google to see for yourselves. I will reiterate that Elite TKD Academy on Wright Brothers Ave is an excellent program in which my children are thriving.

Even given the similar names, I wonder how DojoRat could possibly make such a mistake if he runs his own studio, and so presumably is familiar with the various local schools. I would be more careful, so as not to appear to be slandering innocent people who happen to be business competitors. It looks bad.
DojoRat

Livermore, CA

#15 Aug 3, 2010
My sincerest apologies for confusing the schools. Yes, I was referring to the school on 2nd Street. I am vaguely familiar with the TKD school on Wright, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I ran into one of their assistants once while strolling downtown, and he was very polite, very professional, etc. I truly apologize for the mistake.

As for the mistake, if you've never made one, feel free to rip me. Otherwise, correct the mistake and move on.
Sheri

Dublin, CA

#16 Aug 3, 2010
DojoRat, you say you recommend your school but yet you won't identify it when asked. Please let us know and maybe then we can indeed "move on" as you have requested.
DojoRat

Livermore, CA

#17 Aug 3, 2010
Sheri, I identified my school in my first post in this topic, but I'll be more than willing to identify it again, haha...

I'm at United Studios of Self Defense here in Livermore. I'm in the same shopping center as the big Safeway by the freeway, right next to Melo's Pizza. Swing on by and visit us sometime!:)
Sheri

Dublin, CA

#18 Aug 3, 2010
Ok, thanks for your response but I didn't see it identified in an earlier post on this thread and still don't ha,ha.
Level 1

Livermore

#19 Aug 13, 2010
DojoRat wrote:
blessed4: I'm curious if you did research prior to signing up at Elite. If you did, did you discover one of their instructor's arrest record? Did that influence your decision? If you didn't know, but now know, does that change your opinion? Etc.
And I'm not looking to get into a debate about the validity of the accusations or whatever. Just curious about the thought process that went behind going to that specific school, or any specific school for that matter.
Wrong Elite. My daughter went to Elite Tae kwan Do..Not the Elite Karate that had the the person in question. different Elite's
Level 1

Livermore

#20 Aug 13, 2010
TKD Mom wrote:
DojoRat:
Master Avila is the only instructor at Elite TKD. His only assistants are high school kids (and the occasional college student back during school breaks) that are mostly black belts or junior black belts.
He does not do any sort of sleepovers at his school. You are thinking of another case that yes, I read a great deal about both here and elsewhere. I'm not sure how you confused Elite TKD with this other case, but please be more careful with your facts. Misstatements such as yours above can be very damaging.
Everything blessed4 says regarding the high quality of Master Avila's program is accurate. I have been extrememely impressed with Elite TKD and Mr. Avila. I would strongly recomend Elite TKD for any child, especially one that is struggling in any way with attitude or behavior.
Thank you I couldn't have said it better myself. Also, Master Avilia wants parents to stay at least until there are more parents or children there. I was the first to arrive with my daughter on several occasions and he asked me to stay until another parent arrived. I actually wasn't going to leave my daughter anyhow although I completely trust Master Avilia, I wouldn't want him to be in that position nor my daughter.
Bujiaiki

San Francisco, CA

#21 Dec 24, 2011
Darcio Lira Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts has recently opened in Livermore. The address is 1569 Olivina Avenue. We teach BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai, street self defense and the American Cane System. Our martial arts school has produced champions and our head instructor Sensei Darlynson Lira is a 5th degree black belt from Brazil.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Livermore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2005 story on CVYSL embezzler-Julie Angelosante... (Mar '06) Wed shuttip 208
Corina Freeman Wed shuttip 3
Music Thread (Oct '12) Dec 22 Maverick 808 116
gang violence in Livermore?? (Sep '06) Dec 18 Real_Dude 262
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) Dec 18 Concerned_American 3,987
The Asian invasion (Oct '12) Dec 18 Kilo11 55
Chevron cancels Canadian Arctic drilling as oil... Dec 18 local news 1

Livermore News Video

Livermore Dating
Find my Match