State Prisoners Working at Pilgrim's Pride/JBS Live Oak

Posted in the Live Oak Forum

Since: Oct 09

High Springs, FL

#1 Oct 23, 2009
As I understand it about 0ne-hundred State Prisnors work in the plant at Pilgrim's Pride. If this is so.....why?? With the unemployment high in Suwannee County and the fact PCS will be laying off one-hundred sixty eigh the people who live and support this county need these jobs. Has any one else heard about this?
southern fried

Winston Salem, NC

#2 Oct 23, 2009
Does anyone know if equipment from Douglas plant is being removed and installed in Live Oak?
John Trueblood

Lake Butler, FL

#3 Oct 24, 2009
People who are being released from prison need jobs also .As a matter of fact that is probably the only employer in the tri county erea that is willing to give someone who has made a mistake a chance to earn a living. My hats off to pilgrims pride even though I am sure they are doing it for selfish reasons (taxes).
TACOMA2

High Springs, FL

#4 Oct 26, 2009
John Trueblood: You say "Hats off to Pilgrim's Pride" for them working prisnors. Would you be so happy if the prisnor took your job? I don't think so.
John Trueblood

Live Oak, FL

#5 Oct 28, 2009
TACOMA2 wrote:
John Trueblood: You say "Hats off to Pilgrim's Pride" for them working prisnors. Would you be so happy if the prisnor took your job? I don't think so.
There is a room full of people in the lobby of pilgrims pride most every weekday getting hired. I just quit there last week and have already found better employment so if your worried about your job or future employment I think you sould look within. It must be nice to be one of those people who have never made a mistake and feels he never will.
TACOMA2

High Springs, FL

#6 Nov 1, 2009
John Trueblood wrot:

"There is a room full of people in the lobby of pilgrims pride most every weekday getting hired. I just quit there last week and have already found better employment so if your worried about your job or future employment I think you sould look within. It must be nice to be one of those people who have never made a mistake and feels he never will."

Well John, for over 61 years now I've not been in hot water with the law and I think I can make it until I die with out screwing up with the law. Fankly, it's been easy for me to do that. Kind of like when one sees a stop sign one stops. Now that's a hard thing to do......right! I don't work for PPC however, those who need that job should get it over a prisnor or an Illegal!!! Good for you that you found better employment. By the fact you told me this shows at one point in time you needed a job at PPC. Happy you got it over a prisnor or an Illegal!!!!!! Have a nice day John.
John Trueblood

High Springs, FL

#7 Nov 3, 2009
I was a prisoner! and people like you are the reason the recidivision rate in our countries prison systems are so high. The world is not perfect. There will always be some who make mistakes before they see the light. what should we do with those people? especially the non violent ones. If nobody will give them a chance to make an honest living they are doomed. We may as well lock them up for life or give them the death penalty.Do you have any suggestions on how we should deal with these 3 million people? Good day.

“BAD BOY TOY!!!”

Since: Nov 08

McAlpin Fl.

#8 Nov 3, 2009
John Trueblood wrote:
I was a prisoner! and people like you are the reason the recidivision rate in our countries prison systems are so high. The world is not perfect. There will always be some who make mistakes before they see the light. what should we do with those people? especially the non violent ones. If nobody will give them a chance to make an honest living they are doomed. We may as well lock them up for life or give them the death penalty.Do you have any suggestions on how we should deal with these 3 million people? Good day.
Kill them ALL, grind them up and fertilize the ground with them. I'll bet in a couple of months they would still be working. How is that for a good day?
TACOMA2

Interlachen, FL

#9 Nov 6, 2009
John Trueblood wrote:

I was a prisoner! and people like you are the reason the recidivision rate in our countries prison systems are so high. The world is not perfect. There will always be some who make mistakes before they see the light. what should we do with those people? especially the non violent ones. If nobody will give them a chance to make an honest living they are doomed. We may as well lock them up for life or give them the death penalty.Do you have any suggestions on how we should deal with these 3 million people? Good day.

John you make my point. All people are given an "HONEST" chance to make things work in this life. It's those who screw up that makes life bad for all. And those who do the right things are to say oh well here prisoner take my job? I don't think so. I have no answer for you because even our government nolonger understands the word "ILLEGAL".
lucy left eye

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Mar 21, 2010
well i am proud that they are given the people's out of prison a second chance. but at the liveoak florida plant it's bigger issues that needs to be addressed like the qcs not doing there job stellin some employees to just fold the bad part of the meat under and sip it off and emplyees leavin there stationed areas cross contaminateint the meats sex going on inside and outside of the plant drug use at the plant husbands cheating on wives and the opposite
Jihad Rasuwl

United States

#11 Apr 14, 2010
I would rather higher someone out of prison so that I would qualify for the $4,ooo tax credit for hiring an ex convict. Secondly, almost all of the employees, including supervisors, at Pilgrim's Pride have been in prison. Thirdly, experience has shown me that people with criminal records make the best workers because they have more to prove. They know that they are being watched more, and they've learned a lot from their mistakes. Fourthly, I would rather an ex-con have legitimate employment instead of him or her thinking that they have to kill and rob me to put food on the table out of desperation. I understand that the job market is tight for everyone, but we can't let our frustrations bring the evil out of us. The only problem we have in America is "Industry." When we can boycot McDonald's, Wal-Mart, and all these othher giant corporations and bring back the old "mom-and-pop" business and domestic industries we will keep on venting our anger out on prisoners, blacks, whites, Hispanics, and everyone else that is just as much a victim of these corporate monopolies as we are.
big dog

Buford, GA

#12 Jun 1, 2010
I worked at gold kist / pilgrims pride for 28 years and met some fine people there. ALL of us managers and supervisors havent been in prison and all are not cheating or having sex there, besides that goes on everywhere not just at pilgrims. the problem is when we hire todays young people , they dont wanna work, mommy and daddy have never made them so why should we.. so that leaves no choice but to hire prisoners or hispanics.. I for one one would have someone on my crew that wants to work no matter who or where they are from. most of my years were spent with gold kist before pilgrims bought them out, and i must say that pilgrims pride has sorry upper management and they left the live pak plant out to dry , when we moved onto the new plant. this created bad moral among employees as well as lower management . I ma just happy to have moved own to greener pastures and work at a company who appreciates you. by the way Gerald Driggers remember all the millions of pounds of meat that got throwed away every week and you just turned your head. You are at fault for letting the plant go downhill like it did..
CasandraDowden-T rueblood

Palatka, FL

#13 Sep 13, 2011
TACOMA2 wrote:
John Trueblood wrote:
I was a prisoner! and people like you are the reason the recidivision rate in our countries prison systems are so high. The world is not perfect. There will always be some who make mistakes before they see the light. what should we do with those people? especially the non violent ones. If nobody will give them a chance to make an honest living they are doomed. We may as well lock them up for life or give them the death penalty.Do you have any suggestions on how we should deal with these 3 million people? Good day.
John you make my point. All people are given an "HONEST" chance to make things work in this life. It's those who screw up that makes life bad for all. And those who do the right things are to say oh well here prisoner take my job? I don't think so. I have no answer for you because even our government nolonger understands the word "ILLEGAL".
Sir. You should be ashamed to call yourself an american, let alone a human being with a beating heart... and I dare not even try to guess your religeon. Who are you to say that people who make mistakes or wrong descisions in their walks of life do not deserve to work? As a matter of fact, the idea of them working instead of being on the streets stealing, jacking or selling drugs to our children rather delights me inside... as it should you... if you weren't so bitter inside. Besides, My father worked at pilgrims pride and HATED it. They treat their employees like crap and the employees, because of thier determination to get out of prison and become functioning members of society, put up with it. Who are you to say that they do not deserve it? If you are so superior to say who, in this world, deserves to work... then why would you care about who plucks the feathers off of the chickens you feed to your family? Get over yourself... my dad is right. It is people like you who rob the country of hope, stomp out new beginnings and smother everything forgiveness and change ever meant to anyone. Good job, Sir. You had hands in creating this world we live in today... made up of people who feel they are better than others simply because of what they have, had or believe themselves to be, when in all actuality... inside... you are lower than half the people you judge everyday. Thanks alot. Good Day.
March1968

Live Oak, FL

#14 Sep 14, 2011
To clarify, are there actual currently incarcerated prisoners working at Pilgrims Pride or freshly released ex-cons? There are major differences! If they are just released why not give them a job they served their time, or perhaps they are still incarcerated and are on a work release program. Either way people they need to prove themselves or they will be right back behind bars. Oh, and if they do get ground up and put into the meat let me know the lot number......Thanks
Prisoner need work too

Lake City, FL

#15 Apr 24, 2012
TACOMA 2 wrote:
As I understand it about 0ne-hundred State Prisnors work in the plant at Pilgrim's Pride. If this is so.....why?? With the unemployment high in Suwannee County and the fact PCS will be laying off one-hundred sixty eigh the people who live and support this county need these jobs. Has any one else heard about this?
I feel prisoners need to work also, having worked with a few in my past, there's a lot of items the state don't provide them with. They either buy it from the state or they just suffer. And with that being said prisoners are still humans too.
lc blassingame

United States

#19 Mar 8, 2013
paidassassin wrote:
<quoted text> Kill them ALL, grind them up and fertilize the ground with them. I'll bet in a couple of months they would still be working. How is that for a good day?
sound stupid is hell man real talk.....
John luvs cocksatoasting

Calhoun, GA

#20 Mar 8, 2013
John Cocktoaston wrote:
I've been in Live Oak four years now and still can't find work here or around...I go to university all this time and graduate end of April and I cannot wait to leave this shithole town.
I've applied at Pilgrims, and doing research I happen to know for FACT that a rapist is working there, I can't recall his name, he was black and married to the fat white woman who used to work at the Royal Inn Motel.
So I guess using most of you Live Oakian posters logic, a rapist who violated someone against their will deserves a 2nd chance over a law abiding, productive member of society?
You can't write a coherent sentence and we're supposed to believe you graduate in April?
Justin Anderson

Gainesville, FL

#23 Aug 6, 2013
The real issue here is education. As I read these comments half of them are grammaticly incorrect with multiple spelling errors in each. That tells me that the people in our surrounding counties have shunned off getting an adequate education so they are pidgeon holed into jobs like these. If a former convict can put his best foot foward and get a job at PPC then we should be happy for them and not bombast the corporation for giving them a second chance at being a productive member of society. After all this is America and we are the land of second chances.
mytwocents

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#24 Aug 31, 2013
I believe that there were some rather well made points here. As for prisoners working? I believe there was a point made that they are not provided with everything they need, and they are not. A rapist working in a public place BEFORE the E.O.S.? That would raise a few hairs on the back of my neck, however, as we ALL have proved by commenting and replying to comments: We are all humans, regardless of our race, sex, age, religious affiliation, beliefs, disbeliefs, etc., etc. We are all capable of thinking for ourselves and mostly making our own decisions. People are different, plain and simple, if we were all the same, it would be a very boring place to live. Instead of rejecting your neighbors' differences or being afraid of someone's NATIONALITY and whether or not they have their green cards, or fearing the guy that just spent a good portion of his life LEARNING FROM HIS MISTAKES...why not embrace and love one another? All the judgments here, the hateful statements, the racial undercurrents, these are the reasons the world is the way it is today. Love one another...share a smile. And for those of you who feel like you lost a job? Try this one on for size....prove yourself to be the best for the position. Give 100%, don't expect anything back, be grateful your were able to get out of the bed this morning, and try to love your life, regardless how bad it may seem at times. How bout be grateful that the prisoner that's working shoulder to shoulder with you has learned it is better to work hard to get what you need, instead of hurting other people by trying to get something you didn't earn.
sharien

Hollywood, FL

#25 Apr 15, 2014
John Trueblood wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a room full of people in the lobby of pilgrims pride most every weekday getting hired. I just quit there last week and have already found better employment so if your worried about your job or future employment I think you sould look within. It must be nice to be one of those people who have never made a mistake and feels he never will.
immediately I was taken back from the response you received. I was sent to prison for being in the car with someone who had drugs in it. My ex Co worker gave me a ride home from work my car was in the shop she was pulled o, over one night and they found drugs, they assume I was apart of it. I went to fsu and was in my 3rd year, I was just needing a ride home I was sentenced to 5 years after 6 months I was released on appeal. I had a difficult time finding a job at first, not only that I met ladies inside who could use someone to give them a chance. I am glad someone is doing that everyone in prison is not doomed and everyone rather you been to prison or not deserves at least a chance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Live Oak Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
19yo Man looking for a girl to talk to ages 16 ... 3 hr Krakenslayer9 1
News Call for arrest of watch captain who shot kid (Mar '12) Sat Tazo 29,879
looking for family / lyndon riggs Fri searching 1
x mart forum (Jun '14) Apr 24 max 6
Pha.PrivateTrade is best Vendor (Apr '14) Apr 23 MrKarlsen 236
News Three Arrested for Abusing Vulnerable Adults at... (Sep '14) Apr 22 Cyrus 2
War on Education Attempts to Abolish Standardiz... Apr 22 Culture Auditor 1
More from around the web

Live Oak People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]