Shaws is a rip-off!
Alisha

United States

#1 Aug 25, 2009
We do need a new supermarket! I hope Market Basket or Hannafords comes here soon. I'm single and I don't want to shop at Shaws! For 3 bags of groceries its like $50! The town officials are fucked up in the head if they think the citizens agree with Shaw's stupid monopoly game. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: The Co-op is NOT cheaper, its only slightly bigger than Macs Market for crying out loud. If I really thought I'd DIE if I didnt buy all organic meat and whatever for $8/pound, then I'd buy at the co-op! The co-op is basically a different version of a convenient store. Some choice, but not a lot and not at all competitive. Town officials have been letting Shaw's rip us off for the last 10+ years when they never put in another store after Butsons closed. Bethlehem, Whitefield, Easton, Sugar Hill and Franconia all go to Littleton to shop, PLUS half the population of Vermont because we're tax free. Not having another large competitive grocery store in Littleton has become the biggest pain in the ASS for EVERYONE.
livin in littleton

Alstead, NH

#2 Nov 24, 2009
You should email Hannaford's, Stop & Shop and Price chopper and tell them to open a store in Littleton, that everyone in the area wants another store!
Maria

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#3 Nov 24, 2009
I emailed Price Chopper but haven't heard anything yet. All we've had for years is rumors that we "might" get another grocery store. Why would there be rumors for years if the stores didn't consider coming here? Think about it. And WHY haven't they ever come? Is the town doing something to keep them out? I've been in shaw's before on a Saturday or Monday on non-holidays and seen the lines go all the way to the back of the store! Tell me we can't honestly get another store in this town. Anyone that says we can't is lying. We didn't really need a co-op to begin with. It's not doing us any favors. They told me their prices are higher because of the way the merchandise is handled. There aren't so many middle-men involved in it and its more "locally" obtained. That's fine in a way, but to most consumers, cutting out the middle-men means the item gets CHEAPER. I'm not sure that logic adds up. Also when I shop the co-op I NEVER get any coupons for anything. EVER. So I'm not saving any money by going there. I went to buy cat litter in Shaws the other day and noticed was $4 more than at Walmart. That's a huge difference for one item. They also put jarred peppers in different aisles with very different pricing. I went in one aisle and a jar of a certain size was about $7, in a different aisle the same sized jar of the same kind of peppers was a whole $2 cheaper. No joke. I don't like playing mind-games with stores based on how they perceive people will shop. They position items certain places and ways hoping that you won't notice and will buy the higher priced item. The only thing it serves to do for people that shop smart is PISS THEM OFF.
livin in littleton

Alstead, NH

#4 Nov 24, 2009
Maybe a petition is in need. Shaw's is totally a rip-off, the discount card is a farce. I noticed that a lot of the same dry goods available at the Co-Op are also available at Shaw's wild harvest section at the same price. The Co-Op has better quality meats, neither store has good seafood.
Kristal

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#5 Nov 25, 2009
I figured out how to make a petition. If I get a lot of signatures I will definitely submit it to the town and possibly any competitive grocery chains to show that we could use another store. The link to the petition is:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/grocery1/petiti...

I did make one mistake in that you have to enter your name twice and continue part of the address on the second unlisted line to get it to work.(sorry!) The website wouldn't let me do this over. Pass this around, we need as many signatures as we can get!
Kristal

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#6 Nov 25, 2009
Once you click the link and go to the petition page you can copy+paste the full link from the address bar on that page into an email and forward it around to everyone you know.:-) Topix won't post the entire link apparently. I'll try again, otherwise just click on my previous post to get there.

www.petitiononline.com/grocery1/petition.html
Kristal

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#7 Nov 25, 2009
I started a different thread....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littleton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Normand M. Boisvert of Easton and Other Sex Off... (Dec '08) Jun 18 Anon2016 55
News Two area men ordered held without bail in Littl... May 31 Community Disorga... 1
Tom Conrad murder in Pike NH, unsolved 4 years ... (Sep '09) May '16 LWTUA 146
News Lost revenue could spell end for senior citizen... Apr '16 rkt10 1
Dirtbag and Maura Murray (Feb '12) Apr '16 KaliChaos 136
What Kasich keeps hidden from NH Feb '16 Kasich Caution fr... 1
franconia nh installs new chief of police "john... (Aug '12) Jan '16 X-LMONY 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Littleton Mortgages