Dirtbag and Maura Murray

Posted in the Littleton Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#1 Feb 27, 2012
Seems the "Maura Murray & Dirtbag" thread has been rendered inaccessible, at least for the past 20-24 hours. Maybe some kind of Topix glitch. Who knows. Below is what Beagle posted on the now-inaccessible "Maura Murray and Dirtbag" thread.

BTW, don't overlook the "Warning from Italy" thread, too.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#2 Feb 27, 2012
Did someone say Maura Murray was grabbed by a dirtbag?

"white mountain (NH) dirtbag camping"

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/white-mounta...

http://www.backpacker.com/dirbag-camping-alas ...

"In the good old days, if you were a climber, you were a dirtbag - the lifestyle demanded it."

http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/otw2/volume ...

"Roger Phillips: Dirtbag camping means keeping things simple"

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/11/1794 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch ...

If you go hiking and camping a lot, you would know what a dirtbag is, correct?

So as Jack Levin, noted criminologist at Northeastern University said in an interview with Boston's Fox25 reporter, Bob Ward, "It is conceivable this Dirtbag, appropriately named..."

So, like, who called someone a dirtbag, anyway?
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#3 Feb 27, 2012
Barring really exceptional circumstances, LE is not in the business of concealing an adult runaway's identity. If Maura took off, they are not going to waste their time on court hearings, putting her on a cold case list, etc. There's a good chance that Maura had some apparent injury and LE could not rule out its source, which I doubt was domestic. An apparent injury could easily explain both why Maura's photo from the ATM was not released and why Atwood's ID of her was relied upon by police (because it was specific enough, it went beyond just a jacket and jeans).

The Hadley police officer would never have given Maura a break simply because he took pity on her or because she was crying. In Hadley, this does not happen even in a case of shoplifting, let alone drunk driving. The liability is too high. What if she jumped into another car and killed someone? There would be a record that the officer had let her go. The officer is not going to be that stupid or irresponsible. It's not like Maura was the sister of the police chief and so the responding officer gave her a ride home.

Neuro-muscular diseases exist on a continuum. Those with Multiple Sclerosis, for example, have good days and bad days. The side-effects of drugs can also be very episodic. Maura may have been able to drive a car properly some of the time, but not all the time. Maybe her Saturn ran fine, but she or her family said otherwise in order to conceal her inability to drive well. After all, don't most athletes, especially as teens, get their permit and license asap? Why the delay?

1. Maura got her license, if the story is true, about three years after her contemporaries.

2. Maura did not drive the Saturn much, perhaps not because of some mechanical problem with the car but because of some problem with her arms and legs, with her reaction time.

3. Maura had two crashes in two days. She may have had three crashes in four days if she hit Vasi. She was not arrested for Hadley/Corolla crash, so she probably was not driving drunk.

4. Maura was probably positively identified by Atwood because of something unique about her appearance, such as an injury.

5. The ATM video was probably withheld because of something unique about Maura's appearance - probably the same thing Atwood noticed.

6. Maura could no longer run well competitively.

Put it all together and it looks more like a case of someone with some kind of disease who decided to get away. Maybe for good. Since there was no indication that she entered the woods, and very little likelihood of her having been the victim of an opportunistic abduction, then she probably was traveling with someone who was driving another vehicle. But why take two vehicles, especially if one doesn't run very well and isn't worth much?

I'm not trying to exclude other possibilities; after all, there are many to choose from. I am simply trying to point out some things that have not received much attention.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#4 Feb 27, 2012
Massachusetts imposes a three-day waiting period on couples intending to get married.

Vermont and New Hampshire have no waiting period.

Massachusetts abolished its requirement for blood tests in 2005, about a year after Maura disappeared.

New Hamshire abolished its blood test requirement in 1981.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#5 Feb 27, 2012
1. It's hard to say why Maura's family would allow her to get a driver's license, but if she didn't get it until she was 21, then maybe there wasn't much they could have done about it.

Purely speculation, but… I think most parents want their kids to have as close to a normal life as possible. Getting a driver's license is one of the rites of passage. My guess is that some problem may have been noticed or suspected near the end of or shortly after high school. Which doesn't mean her family would make a big fuss about it, at least not to her, so as not to unduly worry her. Maybe they noticed a little shuffle in her step at some point. A small but not too recurring a loss of balance. Nothing much, but something little. Sometimes symptoms can be mild and general, can take a while to develop, are hard to pin down.

Generally, people in the medical field are taught to not jump to conclusions until all the facts are really in. Diagnoses are often by exclusion. This can take a long time. Maura's parents may have persuaded her to forgo a license test for "just a few months, until we know you're really okay," or something like that. Maybe they sugarcoated it even more. "I don't have time right now to go out driving with you." Maybe they let her learner's permit lapse. Maybe her parents, proud of her athletic and scholastic accomplishments, were in denial a little bit. Hard to say.

In any event, when most kids are chomping at the bit to get a driver's license and go driving, Maura was not getting a license and was not driving, at least not legally.

2. She was probably accepted at WP before any problems became really apparent. Or they may have become apparent only after she matriculated. I think if my daughter had started down the road to WP I wouldn't, as a parent, try to put too many roadblocks in her way. I would want the best, the most for her. I would place a premium on hope. She was probably accepted in April and didn't enter until the following September. There may have been no reason to stop her from entering at that point, no firm diagnosis. In any event, if Maura had some kind of neuro disease, then she had no future in the military.

3. The effort put into looking for her after the Saturn crash may not have been affected by Maura's having a mild to moderate case of disease. She may have been taking medication, or not. She may have been doing some kind of alternative health thing, which is very, very popular around the Amherst/Northampton area.

But one of the reasons to keep mum about a disease is if she hit Vasi. The Vasi hit, if he was the victim of a hit-and-run, is always a financial time bomb waiting to go off, even now. Frankly, I think a lot of parents would keep their mouths shut. It's your daughter. You protect her. And for the first few days after Maura's disappearance, they probably expected her to return. So why say anything that might implicate her in a Vasi hit? After a few days or a couple of weeks have passed, then it's kind of hard to bring up the fact that she might have a disease of some kind, especially when Vasi is still on a vent in the ICU. And the Saturn is registered in your name.

Maybe Maura killed herself. Maybe she ran away with someone seeking a better life. Maybe she was the victim of a mercy killing. Maybe a lot of things. But I believe that the possibility of Maura's having had a disease, one which contributed to her disappearance, should receive a little attention by police, if it hasn't already.

Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing, but I think it should be considered.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#6 Feb 27, 2012
Wikipedia is not always a very reliable source of information, but here's one thing - with a citation - the Wiki article says about Tay-Sachs:

Ashkenazi Jews have a high incidence of Tay–Sachs and other lipid storage diseases. Documentation of Tay–Sachs in this Jewish population reaches back to 15th century Europe. In the United States, about 1 in 27 to 1 in 30 Ashkenazi Jews is a recessive carrier. French Canadians and the Cajun community of Louisiana have an occurrence similar to the Ashkenazi Jews.

Irish Americans have a 1 in 50 chance of being a carrier.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#7 Feb 27, 2012
Below from:

http://www.ntsad-ny.org/disease-taysachs.html

The classical form of Tay-Sachs Disease (TSD) is a fatal genetic disorder in children which progressively destroys the central nervous system. It is caused by the absence of a vital enzyme, Hex-A. A baby with TSD appears to develop normally for the first few months, then there is a relentless deterioration of mental and physical abilities. The child gradually becomes blind, is unable to swallow, and has inefficient pulmonary function. Muscles begin to atrophy, paralysis sets in, and response to the environment diminishes. There is no cure or treatment and average life expectancy is 3-5 years of age.

Late-onset Tay-Sachs disease (LOTS) is a variant of Tay-Sachs but less common than the infantile form. As the name suggests, LOTS affects older children and adults rather than infants, and manifests itself as a more slowly progressive loss of functioning of the nervous system than the infantile form. Individuals with LOTS have a small residual amount of Hex-A rather than a complete absence of the enzyme. In fact, Tay-Sachs disease has a continuum of severity based on the amount of residual Hex-A activity present in the cells.

Recessive diseases such as Tay-Sachs often occur more frequently, though not exclusively, in a defined population. Tay-Sachs affects several ethnic populations,in addition to the Jewish population. Every person of Jewish, French-Canadian, Cajun

or Irish heritage should be tested for Tay-Sachs carrier status.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#8 Feb 27, 2012
Below from a National Institutes of Health website:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22250/

Tay-Sachs disease, a heritable metabolic disorder commonly associated with Ashkenazi Jews, has also been found in the French Canadians of Southeastern Quebec, the Cajuns of Southwest Louisiana, and other populations throughout the world. The severity of expression and the age at onset of Tay-Sachs varies from infantile and juvenile forms that exhibit paralysis, dementia, blindness and early death

to a chronic adult form that exhibits neuron dysfunction and psychosis.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#9 Feb 27, 2012
Is it true that the Saturn started fine and ran well after it was towed from the WB curve crash site?
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#10 Feb 27, 2012
The private investigators associated with the Maura Murray case are, like those in other unsolved cases of the murdered or vanished, a bunch of ambulance chasers. They come out of the woodwork and attach themselves to the families of the victims with claims of great but phony sympathy. They say they offer free service in the name of justice and victims' rights, but they seek only self-promotion.

They accomplish this by the repeated use of the same strategy. They dangle a pet suspect or so-called "person of interest" in front of the family. They often call attention to these POIs by vaguely associating them with their alleged proximity to a crime scene, or the availability to them of a suspicious vehicle, or their resemblance to a sketch.

Not surprisingly, these efforts rarely, if ever, pan out. The cases of Molly Bish and Holly Piirainen are two examples. Several times PIs have come up with their pet suspects. News coverage has been carefully orchestrated to associate not only the POI with a sensational crime, but to, in effect, advertise the services and skill of the PI by crediting him with uncovering a so-far "hidden" criminal.

Remember Tom Shamshak's "discovery" of Rodney Stanger, someone he virtually accused of having murdered Molly Bish solely on the basis of Stanger's supposed access to a white car, his vague resemblance to a sketch, and a mere ten minute conversation Shamshak had with Stanger? Shamshak got great press out of his claim, which amounts to terrific free advertising and a boost to his prestige. But the actual case went nowhere because real cops didn't buy it. How easy it is -- and how cowardly - to promote yourself at the expense of a mentally disturbed, imprisoned criminal.

The PIs that have attached themselves to the Maura Murray case, like those in the Bish and Piirainen cases, are leeches. They are worse than the psychics and oddly named forensic astrologers that keep trying to take advantage of the pain and confusion of a victim's family members. They maintain their "presence" in the case, and thereby their contact with family, by participating in online threads and chat-rooms, by being Google detectives.

The battle lines in these internet confrontations, such as those seen in the Topix/Franconia threads, are increasingly clearly drawn. Each side has its proxy proponents, its meanly aggressive avengers, its sock puppets.

The PIs are like snake oil salesmen. They appear to offer great virtue, comfort, and eventual resolution, but they thrive on nothing more than false innuendo, puffed-up rumor, and virtual lies.
hannah_b

Stockholm, Sweden

#11 Feb 27, 2012
Beagle wrote:
Seems the "Maura Murray & Dirtbag" thread has been rendered inaccessible, at least for the past 20-24 hours. Maybe some kind of Topix glitch. Who knows. Below is what Beagle posted on the now-inaccessible "Maura Murray and Dirtbag" thread.
BTW, don't overlook the "Warning from Italy" thread, too.
Beagle, I want you to know I am horrified and disgusted by that message on Renner´s blog. You should know you´re participation on topix and comments on Maura´s case are much appreciated by at least some of us.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#12 Feb 27, 2012
New love letter received at You Tube. One of many similar ones.

"Someone knows or recognizes this creep, they must. If I ever had the chance to meet this guy..........oh well, I better not make any threats ha? What I could do in the woods with this guy, rope and a pair of pliers.......thats all Im gonna say."
hannah_b

Stockholm, Sweden

#14 Feb 27, 2012
No idea why my previous post duplicated. Not intentional, sorry.
hannah_b

Stockholm, Sweden

#15 Feb 27, 2012
The guy comes across as another Johnny Bravado. Or wait, maybe he is JB?
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#16 Feb 27, 2012
It is interesting to note that while the Murray family, in their statement released to the press by their attorney, Terrance O'Connell, characterized the initial two You Tube videos by "112dirtbag" as the work of a "seemingly clinically disturbed individual," the Murrays have said nothing about the copying of those two videos by James Renner and his re-posting them to his own site on You Tube.

The initial You Tube videos by "112dirtbag" were posted and removed after a few hours on February 8, 2012. Very shortly after the original videos appeared on You Tube, Renner copied them and posted them to his own You Tube site, where they remain with a far larger viewership than they ever had originally in their brief run under "112dirtbag." Renner has also posted links to his copies of the two videos in his blog, "My Search for Maura Murray," at this blogspot address:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/

Why did the Murray family decide that the very same videos they so vehemently objected to – the very same videos that were taken down after a few hours and a couple of hundred hits - were, when re-posted by Renner on February 9, 2012, not worthy of comment? Renner's re-posting of the original videos still survives as they exceed 17,000 hits.

If the Murray family found the original videos so offensive, why do they not object to their re-posting by James Renner? Again, the original videos, ran only a few hours and were pulled after having garnered a couple of hundred hits at most. Rennner's re-posting of the original videos has run since February 9 and has attracted far greater viewership. Yet the Murray family is silent about the exact same videos when posted for a far greater length of time by James Renner. Why?

Renner is not described by the Murray/O'Connell gang as "clinically disturbed" for running these videos countless times. It seems like Murray/O'Connell don't like the original poster of the videos more than they dislike the videos themselves.
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#17 Feb 27, 2012
amy researches wrote:
<quoted text>
I did call NHSP and I did verify the information he gave me. I did not make Columbo pose for a live video session while holding up his identification. But I am personally satisfied that I was not lied to, and that is all I was trying to clear up after FrmLE's statements yesterday.
I am not here to personally vouch for anyone or to out anyone etc. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it. People should check things out for themselves, if they want to know.
So... two separate actions? She did call NHSP. And she did verify the information he - presumably Det. Columbo - gave her.

But did she verify Columbo's identity, which he himself refuses to do, with NHSP?

Or did she call NHSP and ask if there's a PI in NH named Columbo, or some other name?
Beagle

Worcester, MA

#18 Feb 27, 2012
FrmLE wrote:
Interesting.

...I maintain my original position that det columbo is is NOT a PI and is absolutely NOT a former cop.

Not a "former" cop?

Does this leave room for the possibility that Det. Columbo is a real cop? A currently active cop?

Or some other kind of investigator?
whiston

Windsor, CT

#19 Feb 28, 2012
Hi Beagle,I am glad you have not been pushed out by the torch carrying villagers.I know how hard you have worked to find out what happened to Maura and how much shit you got for asking about a the parking sticker on Mauras' car.Take care philip

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#20 Feb 28, 2012
Beagle wrote:
It is interesting to note that while the Murray family, in their statement released to the press by their attorney, Terrance O'Connell, characterized the initial two You Tube videos by "112dirtbag" as the work of a "seemingly clinically disturbed individual," the Murrays have said nothing about the copying of those two videos by James Renner and his re-posting them to his own site on You Tube.
The initial You Tube videos by "112dirtbag" were posted and removed after a few hours on February 8, 2012. Very shortly after the original videos appeared on You Tube, Renner copied them and posted them to his own You Tube site, where they remain with a far larger viewership than they ever had originally in their brief run under "112dirtbag." Renner has also posted links to his copies of the two videos in his blog, "My Search for Maura Murray," at this blogspot address:
http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/
Why did the Murray family decide that the very same videos they so vehemently objected to – the very same videos that were taken down after a few hours and a couple of hundred hits - were, when re-posted by Renner on February 9, 2012, not worthy of comment? Renner's re-posting of the original videos still survives as they exceed 17,000 hits.
If the Murray family found the original videos so offensive, why do they not object to their re-posting by James Renner? Again, the original videos, ran only a few hours and were pulled after having garnered a couple of hundred hits at most. Rennner's re-posting of the original videos has run since February 9 and has attracted far greater viewership. Yet the Murray family is silent about the exact same videos when posted for a far greater length of time by James Renner. Why?
Renner is not described by the Murray/O'Connell gang as "clinically disturbed" for running these videos countless times. It seems like Murray/O'Connell don't like the original poster of the videos more than they dislike the videos themselves.
The Murray family has no control over Renner. They are not cooperating with his book. And no one asked them for a comment about Renners site which although important to you and peeps who follow the case is not mainstream media. They were called for a comment on your videos. They warent called for a comment about Renner reposting your videos.
hannah_b

Sweden

#21 Feb 28, 2012
whiston wrote:
Hi Beagle,I am glad you have not been pushed out by the torch carrying villagers.I know how hard you have worked to find out what happened to Maura and how much shit you got for asking about a the parking sticker on Mauras' car.Take care philip
I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

What did the parking sticker say? Where was the Saturn parked during construction work at it´s usual parking spot?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littleton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom Conrad murder in Pike NH, unsolved 4 years ... (Sep '09) May 15 LWTUA 146
News Lost revenue could spell end for senior citizen... Apr '16 rkt10 1
What Kasich keeps hidden from NH Feb '16 Kasich Caution fr... 1
franconia nh installs new chief of police "john... (Aug '12) Jan '16 X-LMONY 18
"TO TELL THE TRUTH" The Quest for True Identities (Apr '14) Dec '15 Mee Too 51
COlumbos HOuse of SPam (Mar '14) Dec '15 Darth Columbus 372
Almosthome (Oct '15) Oct '15 Almost home 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Littleton Mortgages