noise ordinance petition

Posted in the Littleton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Justin

Portland, ME

#1 Jan 26, 2010
The lastest news going around according to yesterdays paper is that the town is trying to pass a noise ordinance petition from 10pm to 8 am. What is NOT explained in this article is what exactly is considered "noise". Is it loud music, drunken partying? Or does it mean no snow blowing or plowing your driveway at 11 pm cause there's a parking ban and you can't get into the driveway in the winter? Thats not clearly spelled out. I will NOT hand shovel my entire driveway and be up until midnight or later just to get in or get a fine cause I don't have any place to park. I think whoever created this petition needs to do some more work.
Steve

Portland, ME

#2 Jan 26, 2010
Connell said the chief does not feel he has the ability to cover the multitude of noise complaints they receive. Connell said the ordinance does call for someone who is hired and trained for this. Connell said this ordinance could not be enacted today. Moore asked how the ordinance would be enacted. Connell believes that new ordinances go to town meeting for a vote by a warrant article. Art Tighe asked what was the motivation to get this done and asked the Town Manager if we paid for this. Art said he disagrees with the language of the ordinance and told the Town Manger he must have better things to do with his time. Julia Fogg said she vehemently disagrees with Art. Ed Boynton said that for once he agrees with Mrs. Craigie regarding her sensitivity of decibels. Boynton said we have too much regulation now and if we initiate this where does it stop. Jere Eames said the problem is with the regulation of what we have in place right now. Jere said we should enforce the Disturbing the Peace ordinance. Jerry said it might be helpful if the police department could spare a couple of officers and pick up a couple of people who are creating the problem. It might deter others. Jere said that maybe some signs coming into town regarding the use of unnecessary noise might also be a deterrent. Ron Bolt said that since this came up about thirty or forty people have talked to him about it. Bolt said that thirty people were in favor of a noise ordinance and four of them were against it. Steve Hight asked Bolt how many of the people he spoke to earned a living outside. Bolt said it was a range of people and nobody mentioned the drag strip. Moore said he disagrees with anyone having the power of this. Moore said it should be measured against something other than someone?s imagination. Connell said he brought this forward so that it could be discussed. Where it goes from here depends on the Board of Selectmen. Connell said if this is not something the selectmen want him to pursue then the board could kill the noise ordinance. Connell went on to say that if the board wants to pursue it and feel the draft is inadequate then he would refine it to the board?s specifications. Connell said this is a tool the police department does feel they need. Connell asked what would the board like him to do. Ed Boynton made the motion to drop the ordinance and leave it to the taxpayers to bring it on if they want it. Moore asked for a second. Bolt said he would not second the motion. Moore seconded the motion. The motion passed 2-1. Moore and Boynton voted yes to pass over with Bolt?s vote being no.

----------

sounds like only a few people are complaining and from the looks of it, I'm not really sure what they're complaining ABOUT exactly.
Adrienne

Portland, ME

#3 Jan 26, 2010
What kind of decibles are going to be acceptable? And where would they be measuring this from? INSIDE a building or OUTSIDE? It does make a difference. Go back to the drawing board and then print something in the paper again when you have a REAL plan that WORKS.
Stephanie

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#4 Jan 27, 2010
We already have a disturbing the peace ordinance, what the f*ck do we need yet another ordinance about the same thing for?! The town doesn't enforce the one it already has!
Misty

Germany

#5 Jan 27, 2010
The ordinance we have is fine. JUST ENFORCE IT. Like other posters mentioned, how are they going to determine the decibles? How can they prove excess noise really? I think this is going to cause a lot of fighting amongst people if this is passed. And a 10,000$ fine? Very excessive in my opinion and they would have an extremely hard time getting that out of the average person. After all you can't get blood from a stone so to speak. There are a lot of people in this town that don't even have close to that kind of money. I think petition is someone's way of trying to viciously get back at their neighbors or whoever they are fighting with and doesn't apply to most of the town.
S Siemenz

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#7 Jan 27, 2010
From reading the C-Record article, this sounds like someones juvenile, nasty attempt at retaliation. The town should put a stop to this and tell the people that created this new petition that Littleton already has an ordinance "Disturbing the Peace" which works just fine and has for years. Why do we need anything new? Why are they proposing such huge fines? The fact that they want fines that large suggests retaliation of some sort too. The town should axe this.
KKA

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#8 Jan 27, 2010
Sounds like people that created this want to be mean towards some neighbors and are trying to show that they have "power" by going to the town about it rather than just dealing with it in the usual ways. The town would be dumb to pass this power play petition. Sounds like there are other issues going on if this is what they are trying to make the town agree to.
Maria

Portland, ME

#9 Jan 27, 2010
There's another article in the Courier that just came out today and it tells more than the C-Record does. That article is a bit easier to understand. It says that snowblowing and plowing will NOT be considered violations. That will be good because I HAVE to be able to get into my yard after midnight a lot of times because of the parking ban I dont have a choice but to plow or whatever....my driveway is too big to just shovel it if its really heavy stuff. Alot of times I have to get out of the yard early too around 7 or 8 am, so its nice to know I won't be slapped with a hefty fine for snowblowing. After all if I have a snowblower I'm going to use it rather than call someone to plow me out, even though plowing is quicker. I dont think the snowblower is really that loud if you're indoors listening to it anyways.
Justin

Portland, ME

#10 Jan 27, 2010
I saw the new article too. Snow blowing is definitely not a big deal and if any neighbors complain about it, then they need to put a pillow over their head or get ear plugs and go back to bed. after all its way faster than shoveling and less racket than a large plow repeatedly backing up over and over.
stupid neighbors suck

Santa Clara, CA

#11 Jan 31, 2010
Some jerk that lives at 80 Union St hitched their dog out at 5:10 AM when it was about -12 below zero and let it bark for an entire 20 minutes! It was such a great way to wake up! They need to enforce the noise ordinance we already have, but I think they should create a "Stop letting your dog SH*T on our lawn" ordinance. 2 people that live at 17 Lafayette let their dogs sh*t on the lawns of 80 Union St on a daily basis. They walk them on a leash over there specifically on that property instead of taking them somewhere else. They don't want to clean up after them is exactly why they do it. I NEVER see them clean up after their dogs. Whether or not the person that owns that building lives here or not, doesn't mean he won't find out about it. Don't think we don't know who owns it. These same people also let the dogs piss on the porch and steps next door as well. I find it utterly amazing that we never had problems until people with dogs started moving in and out of 17 Lafayette. I could go with a theory that a stay dog or a dog from another house down the street got loose and came specifically over to our steps and repeatedly pissed on them even though we don't own any dogs. I have trouble with that idea because anyone that knows anything about a dog knows they like to go where other dogs have gone. A few tenants that live there that DON'T have dogs stay, but for the rest of those apartments in that building its like a revolving door, someone's always moving in and out.(Wonder why?) There's no "party or loud music" problems, just STUPID DOG OWNERS THAT DON'T THINK RULES APPLY TO THEM. To the dog owners: It sucks to have to pick up your dog's crap with a shovel and plastic bag and put it in the dumpster doesn't it? Then you don't deserve to OWN the dog in the first place. GET SOME BRAINS AND WALK YOUR DOGS SOMEWHERE ELSE AND START PICKING UP AFTER THEM!
LVR

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Jan 31, 2010
I know these dogs you're talking about. One of them is a small dark tan dog, and the other one is a sheep dog of some sort; its gray and white with long hair and no tail. Firstly, the gray\white dog will get very large so I can't imagine why anyone would keep it in a small apartment. Doing that is just not good sense. I too have seen them walked on various properties. I wish the town would put a stop to it, but the reason I don't call is because more than likely the town will just say 'Well, did you see them take a dump on your lawn?' I see them walked every where but where they actually live, so that's a great indication that they're doing it, even if they don't happen to be on MY lawn at any given time. I'm in total agreement with Noise, but they also have to have a better DOG ordinance to stop this kind of blatant idiocy.
Stephy

Coquitlam, Canada

#14 Jan 31, 2010
Let me guess, the building you all are speaking of is owned by the same person that formerly owned All That Jazz in town? I know of that woman and her husband. Neither of them are very bright, so its not hard to understand why some of the tenants wouldn't be about walking their dogs. Its not surprising that people move in and out of there. I heard they don't screen well, and also that they were giving maintenence people keys to all the apartments without notifying tenants, which is illegal. My friend used to live there and told me that they did this all the time. Also charged first, last AND security, which is also illegal, according to NH Dept of Justice. My friend went through a lot of crap to try to get them to stop invading privacy by the owners either walking in themselves or letting workers walk in without providing any notice. I went in All That Jazz a few times looking for gifts and the owner would never say hello, just "Can I help you?", then pretend you weren't there. Town needs to start enforcing laws better. Stop finding ways to turn their back on stuff like this. They definitely need to crack down on people walking their dogs on neighboring properties.That's just nasty and disgusting. I bet if the cops caught someone doing it to THEIR lawn it wouldn't last long.:-)
Lennard

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#16 Jan 31, 2010
I'm all for the noise ordinance. I hope it passes.
Chicky

Atlanta, GA

#20 Jan 31, 2010
Eww, walking your dog on someone else's lawn is gross! Its never a good idea to purposely do it. I have neighbors that don't have any pets but they put out poisons in the fall and winter around the outside of their house to prevent squirrels from coming in the walls.

If you're walking your dog on someone else's property, how do you know your neighbors animals don't have some disease like Parvo? Its highly infective and dogs have been known to die from it, even after costly medical treatments because their immune system is so weakened and not able to fight it off or they go home and get reinfected because the house wasn't properly cleaned of the germs. I don't know where people's brains are sometimes....

As for any noise ordinance, I support it totally. Go for it. We have one here and it works great.
Chicky

Columbus, OH

#21 Jan 31, 2010
Eww, walking your dog on someone else's lawn is gross! Its never a good idea to purposely do it. I have neighbors that don't have any pets but they put out poisons in the fall and winter around the outside of their house to prevent squirrels from coming in the walls.

If you're walking your dog on someone else's property, how do you know your neighbors animals don't have some disease like Parvo? Its highly infective and dogs have been known to die from it, even after costly medical treatments because their immune system is so weakened and not able to fight it off or they go home and get reinfected because the house wasn't properly cleaned of the germs. I don't know where people's brains are sometimes....

As for any noise ordinance, I support it totally. Go for it. We have one here and it works great.
resident

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#22 Jan 31, 2010
just enforce the current noise ordinance. That should be sufficient enough. On the topic of crapping dogs...I bet that is why some people choose to put out poisons in their yards. Kind of ends the problem permanently. Put it out for the chipmunks and rats and then if the neighbor is stupid enough to walk their dog on your lawn, oh well. Live and learn.
Sharli

Portland, ME

#23 Jan 31, 2010
I dont think anyone should put out poison for that purpose. That is mean and vindictive. Its true that a lot of people use it for rodents and it would be unfortunate if that actually happened. But I wouldn't purposely punish an animal for its owners stupidity. That's just wrong.
Sharli

Portland, ME

#24 Jan 31, 2010
I'm definitely supporting a noise ordinance. They should have very clear guidelines in place before putting it up to vote though. I know this town doesn't always spell things out and the citizens find out later what the *real* story is and aren't always happy about it.
Kleinster Elch

Portland, ME

#25 Feb 17, 2010
Hey, idiots with the dogs...STOP WALKING YOUR DOGS ON OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTY. Why do all your neighbors want dead grass, dog crap and piss all over their lawns? Do you think we actually LIKE it? Guess what? We DONT. Walk your f*cking dogs somewhere else! We know you're still doing it cause we see you all the time.
SYG

Castleton On Hudson, NY

#26 Feb 18, 2010
I am so sick of those dogs. Their owners are still walking them on other people's lawns! That guy that wears that pansy looking red track suit with the sheep dog is still walking it on all his neighbors lawns. He has a retractable leash and just stands on the sidewalk or driveway while the dog craps on someone else's property. The other day I was driving down the road and saw him coming down Cross Street on the corner the dog was peeing on the lawn over there too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littleton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirtbag and Maura Murray (Feb '12) Fri JMAHER 142
COlumbos HOuse of SPam (Mar '14) Jan 6 John Green 372
News Bethlehem postmark adds a holy touch Dec 27 Norris God of Thu... 20
now we hear on cnn russia may send more e mails Nov '16 vote for hillary 1
A plea for information - Do you know what happ... Sep '16 letsfindanswers 1
Shaw's Sucks! (Aug '09) Sep '16 Sherpa 26
News Two area men ordered held without bail in Littl... (May '16) May '16 Community Disorga... 1

Littleton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Littleton Mortgages