Nashoba: Chelmsford schools missing '...

Nashoba: Chelmsford schools missing 'opportunity'

There are 23 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 1, 2010, titled Nashoba: Chelmsford schools missing 'opportunity'. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

School officials at Nashoba Valley Technical High School say they fear Chelmsford Public Schools are "closing a door of opportunity" for eighth-graders. For the second year in a row, Chelmsford Public Schools are opting out of an annual tour geared at giving middle-school students a chance to participate in technical classes at the high school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FormerNTParent

Tewksbury, MA

#1 Oct 1, 2010
Nashoba Tech,

1.) Provides the bus transportation for Eight grade tours to all district towns.

2.) Does Chelmsford not take their eight graders to Washington for a week each year, like other schools do ? i.e time away from classses ?

People , It's all about the $Benjamins$
lookinginside

Fitchburg, MA

#2 Oct 1, 2010
This is a chance for ner super. Tiano to show parents that sanity has returned to the school dept - let all the kids take the tour and put an end to the "we are better than Nashoba" attitude. Take charge Frank or the sc will launch another ridiculous 'world wide search'- don't give them the chance.
Keep it Simple

Boxford, MA

#3 Oct 1, 2010
Why not have an open house on Saturday so both the parents and perspective student can take a tour of the school. If the student and parents have further interest they can arrange an agreeable time to tour the school when classes are in session.

Education is a family affair involve the parents.
Alabama Crimson Tide

Bedford, MA

#4 Oct 1, 2010
Another good reason is if your going to play sports. I wish I had gone to Nashoba Tech instead of sitting on the CHS bench. The HS sport players from Chelmsford will have a better chance playing sports at Nashoba Tech than at CHS. It's way too political in CHS.
AND

AOL

#5 Oct 1, 2010
Keep it Simple wrote:
Why not have an open house on Saturday so both the parents and perspective student can take a tour of the school. If the student and parents have further interest they can arrange an agreeable time to tour the school when classes are in session.
Education is a family affair involve the parents.
Why should they have to accommodate one "special" group? The cost of having ALL the teachers there on a Saturday!!!
When its during the work (school) week everyone is there. And the students can see how the shops work and talk and work with current NVT students.
AND

AOL

#6 Oct 1, 2010
Alabama Crimson Tide wrote:
Another good reason is if your going to play sports. I wish I had gone to Nashoba Tech instead of sitting on the CHS bench. The HS sport players from Chelmsford will have a better chance playing sports at Nashoba Tech than at CHS. It's way too political in CHS.
Absolutly!!! and the teams aren't bad either!
Taxpayer

Waltham, MA

#7 Oct 1, 2010
AND wrote:
<quoted text>Why should they have to accommodate one "special" group? The cost of having ALL the teachers there on a Saturday!!!
When its during the work (school) week everyone is there. And the students can see how the shops work and talk and work with current NVT students.
Nashoba Tech is sitting on millions of OUR dollars. Tell me again why they can't have the teachers show up at a time when students and their parents have some time to tour the school? How many kids are allowed to make the decision about where they go to high school by themselves? This is Klimkiewicz grandstanding because she's pissed about being told she can't have more money for her SUV.
speaker

Tewksbury, MA

#8 Oct 1, 2010
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Nashoba Tech is sitting on millions of OUR dollars. Tell me again why they can't have the teachers show up at a time when students and their parents have some time to tour the school? How many kids are allowed to make the decision about where they go to high school by themselves? This is Klimkiewicz grandstanding because she's pissed about being told she can't have more money for her SUV.
Karen D. SIT DOWN your still out of order. This is the moderator speaking !
AND

AOL

#9 Oct 1, 2010
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Really????? You know nothing of what you are talking about do you?
SayWhat

Granby, CT

#10 Oct 1, 2010
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Chel reaction to anything Nashoba Tech - bash the school, throw out ignorant statements about money they have 'taken away' from Chelmsford schools and insult the staff. If it sounds like Karen D., looks like Karen D... must be. She is still out of order..........
Steve from Walpole

Wallingford, CT

#11 Oct 1, 2010
People whining about High School sports after the fact is kindof pathetic. The best players play, the guys who are on the fringe and get outworked by similar players quit and then complain about politics. It's High School Sports, not the Pros. Time to move on!
FormerNTParent

Tewksbury, MA

#12 Oct 1, 2010
Steve from Walpole wrote:
People whining about High School sports after the fact is kindof pathetic. The best players play, the guys who are on the fringe and get outworked by similar players quit and then complain about politics. It's High School Sports, not the Pros. Time to move on!
Sorry Steve, not after mom and dad shell out $250 -$300 in "pay to play" fees per sport, should any kid have to sit on the sidelines, thats not equal access.

Another positive of Nashoba Tech, NO FEES.
Taxpayer

Waltham, MA

#13 Oct 1, 2010
SayWhat wrote:
<quoted text> Typical Chel reaction to anything Nashoba Tech - bash the school, throw out ignorant statements about money they have 'taken away' from Chelmsford schools and insult the staff. If it sounds like Karen D., looks like Karen D... must be. She is still out of order..........
Oooh, did I get some panties in a bunch there? Look, Sam (or maybe you're Bob) you still haven't answered the question of why Nashoba Tech can afford a car for the superintendent (superintendent of what? isn't she really just a principal?) but can't afford to turn on the lights at a time when student and their parents can be there.

By the way, the reason Nashoba doesn't have fees is because they're sucking down so many tax dollars that they don't need to. Guess it's fine if you're a Nashoba Tech parent, kind of too bad if you're a senior being pushed out of your home by skyrocketing taxes.
Alabama Crimson Tide

Bedford, MA

#14 Oct 1, 2010
Steve from Walpole wrote:
Say what? You absolutely know darn right well what goes on in HS sports. Scholarship monies at stake, college recruiters, etc. of course it is big, especially when people are shelling out $500 to play 1 sport. The best players play? I am sorry but I do not agree with you!
Tom from Chelmsford

Lowell, MA

#15 Oct 1, 2010
When the Chelmsford schools have another one of those ever so frequent 1/2 days there is no screaming and wailing about the lost time in the classroom. This stupidity on the part of the school administration and the school committe is nothing more than class warfare, in other words, "we are better than you are." Let's stop the nonsence and let the students check out an alternative education if they choose. The taxpayers pay for it in either case.
Maria K

Haverhill, MA

#16 Oct 1, 2010
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you for real?
Nashoba Tech has managed their budget very well, and the excess money she has is a reserve account that she used to pull from when she only receives the minimum contributions from particpating towns to balance her budget. She doesn't have the luxury of going back to the residents and asking them for an override or going to the town manager looking for a bail-out.
What SUV are you talking about? She has a hybrid Escape that was purchased over two years ago with her alotted capital budget. I have no idea where you are getting your information from, but I think you need to find a better source.
Rita Fan

Lowell, MA

#17 Oct 1, 2010
Yay Rita. No more holiday news? Let's stir the Nashoba pot. Are you on some sort of schedule/routing on these stories? Let's see - how many questions did you ask at the school committee meeting last week to get their perspective on all of these hot-button issues you like to write about. Wait for it - none. I'm not sure you were even there. Stop calling it in, do some real investigation or stay out of Chelmsford. Thanks for playing.

I think its time for another front page contrived controversy for Chelmsford - I'm sure you can do better than recycle last year's stuff. Only time - and your editor - will tell.
FormerNTParent

Tewksbury, MA

#18 Oct 2, 2010
Rita Fan wrote:
Yay Rita. No more holiday news? Let's stir the Nashoba pot. Are you on some sort of schedule/routing on these stories? Let's see - how many questions did you ask at the school committee meeting last week to get their perspective on all of these hot-button issues you like to write about. Wait for it - none. I'm not sure you were even there. Stop calling it in, do some real investigation or stay out of Chelmsford. Thanks for playing.
I think its time for another front page contrived controversy for Chelmsford - I'm sure you can do better than recycle last year's stuff. Only time - and your editor - will tell.
Well. Mrs T., had your husband picked up the phone and returned the Superintendent's call.(Courtesy) Rita wouldn't have anything to write about. Tell Hubbie, he and Yo-YO are not god. let the children investigate alternative educational opportunities and be allowed to take a tour. Otherwise commiserate with Karen D. over your Starbucks $4.00 coffee's and lose the cap !

Fre

Lowell, MA

#19 Oct 2, 2010
Any parent can go tour Nashoba by just calling the school. Oh - by the way - for their event last year, they spent our money on "Wally the Green Monster" from the Redsox. That is a REALLY good use of taxpayer dollars. Who will WE pay for this year?

Let's see how open they are - wait, their agenda and minutes for any recent school committee meetings are not on their website. How about taking some of the students who learn about broadcasting and showing school committee meetings on local access?

http://www.nashobatech.mec.edu/education/comp...
Help

Chelmsford, MA

#20 Oct 3, 2010
Fre wrote:
Any parent can go tour Nashoba by just calling the school. Oh - by the way - for their event last year, they spent our money on "Wally the Green Monster" from the Redsox. That is a REALLY good use of taxpayer dollars. Who will WE pay for this year?
Let's see how open they are - wait, their agenda and minutes for any recent school committee meetings are not on their website. How about taking some of the students who learn about broadcasting and showing school committee meetings on local access?
http://www.nashobatech.mec.edu/education/comp...
Students paid their own way, grow up! CHS went to Gillette, so what?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littleton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Supervisors at Archive Systems In Littleton Thu Littleton Mom 3
News Ayer settles over wrongful '83 slay conviction (Jul '09) Nov 29 Observed 29
News Tempers flare as Shirley police officer fired Nov 11 Lynch for Paedophile 4
News Westford neighbors demand action on rowdy Nasho... (Jul '10) Nov 2 Westford vfw trash 236
News Acton mom charged in infant son's slaying (Aug '10) Nov 2 I know more than ... 15
News Two men charged in Acton drug bust Oct '16 Oxy 1
News As for candidate, I'm voting for Sheila Harrington (Oct '10) Oct '16 News34 4

Littleton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Littleton Mortgages