Town wants one rep

There are 21 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Sep 28, 2010, titled Town wants one rep. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Residents and town officials are hammering out a plan to put one of their own on Beacon Hill.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Countryclub Charlie

Lowell, MA

#1 Sep 28, 2010
Chelmsford never had a single state Rep. Carlyle was included. That makes 2.

There are approx 314 towns in MA; about 182 reps ; you do the math.

Lowell and Boston have multiple Reps. Should they just have one?

4 reps voting are always better than 1.

This "study" group is politics, to justify a pre-ordained decision. Guess how "the study" is going to come out.

Real reason: the Reps are all Democrats. They want a Republican. Chelmsford gets plenty of representation. Chelmsford wannabes don't want to represent city folks.
go for it

East Hampton, CT

#2 Sep 28, 2010
The interests of Chelmsford residents are more properly served by one representative of either party rather than multiple reps. Anyone supporting the gerrymandering of a district supports political corruption with the taxpayers' dollars.
hal

Chelmsford, MA

#3 Sep 28, 2010
seriously? reps on the hill are essentially useless, they either kiss the speakers ass or lose, period.
Finneran did this to us - Democrat
Cleven retired on the job - Democrat
Poulten? r you kidding me?- Democrat

let me guess, we want more money for teachers that have more time off and "planning" days than the firefighters who make 100G or more eating ice cream adn watching TV and make more money than the DPW who get more overtime hours and money than regular time and cops who while actually working most of the time get more money in uniforms, details, physical fitness "tests", fake education diplomas and longevity than GOD!!!

Give me a break! what this town needs is an enema!!!!
Turbo

Cambridge, MA

#4 Sep 28, 2010
A prime example of wasted government and wasted spending. State and city positions need to be cut accross the board starting with police officers. We should cut the police department in half in Chelmsford. How much crime do we really have in Chelmsford? I see these guys pulling people over left and right trying to justify their existence. Can you say extortion?
yakety yak

Newburyport, MA

#5 Sep 28, 2010
Carol Cleven is a Republican.
hal

Chelmsford, MA

#6 Sep 28, 2010
thats what she wanted you to believe...look at her voting record when she was actually there and voted!!!
Complain much

United States

#7 Sep 28, 2010
How come none of you losers attended any of the BOS meetings on this to share your thoughts?

Residents appeared before the Board several weeks ago to ask for this. The Board responded by setting it up.

So instead of crediting the residents for taking the initiative on this, or the Board for moving quickly on it, you complain.

No wonder we have such lousy candidates for office these days... Who needs the aggravation?
Rep Barnyard Barney Frank

Tyngsboro, MA

#9 Sep 28, 2010
I'll do it.
W Dracut

Nashua, NH

#10 Sep 28, 2010
Look. The decision to split up Chelmsford was made to bolster Lowell, that's why parts of Chelmsford were given to Lowell Representatives' districts (Nangle and Golden).

Seriously - what does Chelmsford have in common with Centralville? Nothing!

What has Golden done for Chelmsford?...
Al S

Lowell, MA

#11 Sep 28, 2010
yakety yak wrote:
Carol Cleven is a Republican.
Check her voting record, she was and is far from being a Republican
Help

Lowell, MA

#12 Sep 28, 2010
Dont care about number of reps, just the opportunity to have my vote actually mean something. Give the town the abilty to vote someone in or out
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Sep 28, 2010
We have only one out our way, and good luck getting any representation whether you have 1, 2, or 3
Name One

Lowell, MA

#14 Sep 28, 2010
Reasoning is that 4 reps actually don't represent Chelmsford.

Back that up with some instances , on votes contrary to the interests of Chelmsford.
the 4 reps got you School Building assistance (SBA) funding for 31 million when Romney stopped the SBA funding and put a moratorium on it.

Sen. Susan Fargo(D) deserves most of the credit. Martinez (R) would have went along with the Romney(R) moratorium on funding, and chelmsford would have raise the money locally, since the citizens voted "yes".

SO NAME A ONE VOTE AGAINST CHEMSFORD's interests. Silence!
headline misleading

Lowell, MA

#16 Sep 28, 2010
Headline " Town WANTS one rep".

No. Some in town want a single Rep, not the "town". the 'town" hasn't even thought of it.
I don't. Keep it the way it is. The Rep will undoubtedly be Republican , and get us nothing back, nothing, nada.

If you doubt that, ask what the prior single Republican Reps (Freeman and Cleven) brought us in the past.
Countryclub Charlie

Lowell, MA

#17 Sep 28, 2010
Ok, let's do it this way, so there is no jerrymandering.

Chelmsford, population 34k , get 1 Rep

Boston, popultaion 780,000 gets 25 reps.

Ok with that?
Mike

Chelmsford, MA

#18 Sep 28, 2010
We get good better representation with our current Reps than we will with one Rep, no matter who it is.

Have you been to any local Chelmsford events that didn't have Thomas Golden or Jim Arciero? They're almost always here; I don't know how they do it.

Ever send an email to either of them? You get a phone call back.

Have you looked at the money Atkins, Golden and Arciero have brought to Chelmsford? We get a lot of help to compensate for Chapter 70, and inadequate local aid.

Leave this alone.
Sire

Andover, MA

#19 Sep 28, 2010
We get 5 votes from our group of legislators. We are lucky. If there was a good candidate they could get elected from Chelmsford. Lots of politicians come from small towns even when they have bigger towns in their district - Fargo does.
Help

Lowell, MA

#20 Sep 29, 2010
Sire wrote:
We get 5 votes from our group of legislators. We are lucky. If there was a good candidate they could get elected from Chelmsford. Lots of politicians come from small towns even when they have bigger towns in their district - Fargo does.
They are not elected FROM Chelmsford, we don't get to choose
R U Serious

Lowell, MA

#21 Sep 29, 2010
headline misleading wrote:
Headline " Town WANTS one rep".
No. Some in town want a single Rep, not the "town". the 'town" hasn't even thought of it.
I don't. Keep it the way it is. The Rep will undoubtedly be Republican , and get us nothing back, nothing, nada.
If you doubt that, ask what the prior single Republican Reps (Freeman and Cleven) brought us in the past.
Oh so, the rep would actually represent the voters of the town? Wow what a concept.

Sorry Lib, but most of us don't want to hand our wallets to your welfare programs
W Dracut

Nashua, NH

#22 Sep 29, 2010
Countryclub Charlie wrote:
Ok, let's do it this way, so there is no jerrymandering.
Chelmsford, population 34k , get 1 Rep
Boston, popultaion 780,000 gets 25 reps.
Ok with that?
Boston's population is only 645,000

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littleton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ayer arrests (Aug '09) Thu Nick 5
News Tempers flare as Shirley police officer fired (Nov '16) Aug 16 Darn Tootin 61
News Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Green Beret su... (Jan '09) Jul '17 QBob 125
News Convict sues Ayer police (Jun '08) Jul '17 Disappointed 50
News Ayer man remains held without bail in domestic-... Jul '17 Fake News 1
Supervisors at Archive Systems In Littleton (Oct '16) Jun '17 Fast Typer 8
News Rape charges dropped in Westford beach case (Sep '09) Jun '17 Normal Guy 41

Littleton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Littleton Mortgages