L'town faces staff cuts

L'town faces staff cuts

There are 9 comments on the Evening Sun story from Mar 17, 2011, titled L'town faces staff cuts. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

The Littlestown Area School District will have fewer staff next school year because of budget constraints, the district's superintendent said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

My Humble Opinion

Hanover, PA

#1 Mar 18, 2011
Glad to see they are raising ticket prices for athletic events. The admission price is still low compared to the cost of going to the movies. I think the athletic departments should become self-sustaining rather than part of the school district's budget. I completely support high school sports. I think those who compete gain valuable personal qualities that last them a life time. But, only a small percentage of students participate in sports and coaches can cut students making sports a program NOT available to all students. Extracurricular activities are not as important as the classroom. Sports and food service (cafeteria) need to be self supporting. The cafeteria started to be a burden when everyone jumped on the we must serve healthy meals bandwagon eliminating some of the cheaper food options. Parents need to be responsible for the healthy options. The schools only need to make sure the students are fed and their stomachs aren't growling.
Littlestown Resident

Frederick, MD

#2 Mar 18, 2011
The Pennsylvania's Public School Employees' Retirement System (PSERS) is going to bankrupt Pennsylvania residents. Employees of the public schools should have to fund their own retirement plans just as the majority of other taxpayers do. Teacher salaries are already competitive with other professions. Taxpayers should not have to underwrite their retirement too!
Patrick R

King Of Prussia, PA

#3 Mar 18, 2011
Quite frankly, millions of americans are "back to basics" and facing ecconomic hard times. Littlestown is no exception. We have more than our fair share of senior on fixed incomes still paying to educate children. It's time for a break. Schools need to consider dropping all non-essential programs.
guzzler

York, PA

#4 Mar 18, 2011
get rid of the transportation director..remember the bus accident??
Informed

Shippensburg, PA

#5 Mar 18, 2011
My Humble Opinion wrote:
food service (cafeteria) need to be self supporting. The cafeteria started to be a burden when everyone jumped on the we must serve healthy meals bandwagon eliminating some of the cheaper food options. Parents need to be responsible for the healthy options. The schools only need to make sure the students are fed and their stomachs aren't growling.
Ummmmmmm, the Food Service department did not make this choice. It was the Government. How do you know the cafeteria is a burden? Where does the lunch money go? Please show me that. Nobody seems to want to show this information for some odd reason. All they want to show is the cost for salaries and benefits.
Littlestown Dad

AOL

#6 Mar 18, 2011
Maybe they should cut that idiot Wills. There's 100k right there.
Reader

Gardners, PA

#7 Mar 18, 2011
"My Humble Opinion" makes a good point. Gym Class is one thing, but why do taxpayers have to cover all other sports? Maybe if extra sports totally supported themselves, taxpayer money could stay in the classrooms where it belongs.
Volunteer in the Cafeteri

Burnt Cabins, PA

#8 Mar 18, 2011
My Humble Opinion wrote:
Glad to see they are raising ticket prices for athletic events. The admission price is still low compared to the cost of going to the movies. I think the athletic departments should become self-sustaining rather than part of the school district's budget. I completely support high school sports. I think those who compete gain valuable personal qualities that last them a life time. But, only a small percentage of students participate in sports and coaches can cut students making sports a program NOT available to all students. Extracurricular activities are not as important as the classroom. Sports and food service (cafeteria) need to be self supporting. The cafeteria started to be a burden when everyone jumped on the we must serve healthy meals bandwagon eliminating some of the cheaper food options. Parents need to be responsible for the healthy options. The schools only need to make sure the students are fed and their stomachs aren't growling.
You need to study food services before you make a comment. There are a ton of regulations imposed by the Federal Government. Plus the workers in the cafeteria are some of the lowest paid workers in the school system, if not in the regular working world. You need to take a look at what 'extras' are paid to people for doing 'lunch duty','parking lot duty', etc. You would be surprised.
jody

Shade Gap, PA

#9 Mar 20, 2011
Littlestown Dad wrote:
Maybe they should cut that idiot Wills. There's 100k right there.
yes he needs to go

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littlestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 7 hr Cookieman 7,255
Shed foundation question Apr 19 Gettysburg Gay Bars 4
News Gettysburg man arrested for child pornography (Dec '15) Mar '17 Costard 22
Ummmm......yeah (Oct '16) Feb '17 yawdim 3
News Tough economy forces Bentley's to close doors (Nov '09) Feb '17 Boo Hoo 58
News Woman accused of hitting man with belt at bar, ... Jan '17 Ed S 1
News Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jan '17 Tommy 32

Littlestown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Littlestown Mortgages