Honoring those who serve

Full story: Evening Sun

One of the area's newest landlords plans to offer a unique opportunity to homeless families -- pay no rent while we help you get back on your feet.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jennifer from the Block

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Good Luck ! Hope it all turns out the way you invision. This is truly a commendable thing to do for families. Everyone needs a fresh start and new outlook on life.
Common Tater

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Wonderful! But can I ask, do you have something in place for how to get the families to move on if they put up a fight to leave? Free rent may be too easy to pass up once they are 'back on their feet'!
reader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Common Tater wrote:
Wonderful! But can I ask, do you have something in place for how to get the families to move on if they put up a fight to leave? Free rent may be too easy to pass up once they are 'back on their feet'!
Get a life. Go to church. Read the Bible.

This is a great idea. I hope there are soon more like this. God wants us to help one another, and He will assure the success of this project. God will bring the volunteers and materials. He always does.

THANK GOD!:)
Common Tater

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a life. Go to church. Read the Bible.
This is a great idea. I hope there are soon more like this. God wants us to help one another, and He will assure the success of this project. God will bring the volunteers and materials. He always does.
THANK GOD!:)
Hmmm--- pissed because I asked a question? Wow-- you MUST be a Christian...With the world the way it is today, it was a nice headsup for them to look into now BEFORE that happens--....maybe you missed the part where I said how WONDERFUL this is-- go start trouble elsewhere, you read too much into it..
WOW

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Judged:

Nice idea- good hearted people trying to do good, but sorry to say, I do not think it will be more than a drug house in time to come. People using the system. I will pray it works well for you. As a landlord I have tried many times to help others, and I always get taken advantage of. Been there done that. God bless you.
wickedfan

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

It sounds like a good idea but unfortunately a lot of people become dependent on assistance. It might be a good idea to have them "give back". they could contribute man hours or pay what they can afford to live there. If you give them everything and expect nothing in return you will not help them. Unless they are taught how to be a productive member of society they will continue to be dependent. I do hope counseling will be provided.
been there

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Judged:

This is a great idea! The only question I have is are you gonna harbor illegal aliens there? This is against the law!
reader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

God will make this work.

There will always be haters. It is their job to hate; they work for the devil.

I will find out how I can volunteer.
Jack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

wickedfan wrote:
It sounds like a good idea but unfortunately a lot of people become dependent on assistance. It might be a good idea to have them "give back". they could contribute man hours or pay what they can afford to live there. If you give them everything and expect nothing in return you will not help them. Unless they are taught how to be a productive member of society they will continue to be dependent. I do hope counseling will be provided.
Dependent on assistance is the idea. Down and out people are looking for someone to assist them. Why not volunteer your time. I'm sure you have a worthwhile skill or a good ear for someone in need.
wickedfan

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Jack wrote:
<quoted text>Dependent on assistance is the idea. Down and out people are looking for someone to assist them. Why not volunteer your time. I'm sure you have a worthwhile skill or a good ear for someone in need.
What do you mean dependent on assistance is the idea? We need to make people independent.
And yes, I've thought about volunteering.
Hanover Resident

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

WOW wrote:
Nice idea- good hearted people trying to do good, but sorry to say, I do not think it will be more than a drug house in time to come. People using the system. I will pray it works well for you. As a landlord I have tried many times to help others, and I always get taken advantage of. Been there done that. God bless you.
And I, too, wish you luck. As another landlord that tried to "give a hand up" - I, too, ended up getting taken advantage!
realistic

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Judged:

As we working people struggle to met our obligations, pay our bills, worry about our children, high crime, drug dealers, the economy and whether or not we have enough spare change to fill up our gas tanks, we are simply too exhausted to be onboard for yet another social experiment that is born out of good intentions. I am in my sixties, old enough to see how all of these gift based programs fail as the people in need become more and more dependent on entitlement programs and figure out how to manipulate their aid givers.And it seems an almost impossible uphill battle, with so many qualified citizens jobs that pay them enough to get by. The sympathy tank for people who haven't figured out that hard work and modest expectations is the way out of poverty is empty. I know that is sad, but it's the truth.
right here

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Hanover Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
And I, too, wish you luck. As another landlord that tried to "give a hand up" - I, too, ended up getting taken advantage!
There will always be those who take advantage. I am someone who received some assistance in the past after a personal tragedy. Those who helped me have been repaid many times, both by me and by the good karma created.

Don't let someone else's poor experiences or attitudes keep you from working for God. Working for God IS what we're here for.

Thank you God. I send many blessings to those who volunteer, those who are already volunteering, and those who pray for this project.
Fetus T Bluster

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

WOW wrote:
dependency weakens character but strengthens government.
right here

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

What you sow, so shall you reap. As for me and my house, we will worship the Lord.

Haters will get hate back. Givers will get blessings back. God is watching.

I believe in karma. Open your eyes and see all that there is to see. Good will happen here.
kajen

New Bloomfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

I get the concern that this generous opportunity this church wants to offer could be taken advantage of. Hopefully they will carefully screen families and "weed out" anyone just looking for a free ride.
A few years back my family volunteered for habitat for humanity. For the most part, the families we helped build houses for were better off financially than we were. One man who was getting one of the houses told us "what a great deal this was, and it was so easy". He said this as cabinets were being installed. It did bother me - but at the same time, who was I to judge if he "deserved" this break? But - it did deter us from volunteering there again.
Anonymous

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Fetus T Bluster wrote:
<quoted text>dependency weakens character but strengthens government.
Oh you come on here and keep repeating the same thing. Try something original...something you haven't said before.
Common Tater

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

right here wrote:
What you sow, so shall you reap. As for me and my house, we will worship the Lord.
Haters will get hate back. Givers will get blessings back. God is watching.
I believe in karma. Open your eyes and see all that there is to see. Good will happen here.
Just keep shoving this self righteous crap in our faces.... no one is hating-- the opinions of others that are pleading the 'helpers of the unfortunate' to be cautious are not devil worshippers you know... difference of opinions is not the difference between heaven and hell-- you said in an earlier post to 'get a life'- why don't you practice what you preach?
reader

Bedford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2011

Common Tater wrote:
<quoted text>Just keep shoving this self righteous crap in our faces.... no one is hating-- the opinions of others that are pleading the 'helpers of the unfortunate' to be cautious are not devil worshippers you know... difference of opinions is not the difference between heaven and hell-- you said in an earlier post to 'get a life'- why don't you practice what you preach?
You are the definition of hater. Open your eyes.
Satanist

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2011

reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the definition of hater. Open your eyes.
I'll see you in Hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Littlestown Discussions

Search the Littlestown Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 5 hr atomic kneegar 51,183
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 7 hr perseynicolas954 3,802
Suburban Life: Towns band together to share lov... 13 hr Black dude 1
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Jul 19 Pirates 5,382
bulllys at the work place. Jul 15 robert 1
State police probing pistol theft in Adams County Jul 14 Marilyn Newcomer 1
Paradise School 'riot': Police arrest six students (Apr '08) Jul 10 alan decker 29
•••
•••
•••
Littlestown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Littlestown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••