Littlestown police chief resigns

There are 26 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 25, 2009, titled Littlestown police chief resigns. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Soon to be retired Littlestown Police Chief Donald Baker. Starting on July 1, the Littlestown Police Department will be short an officer - the chief.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nativehanover

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Jun 25, 2009
What, no obligatory accolades about his fidelity, bravery and integrity? Just the council president complaining that a civil service chief of police creates hassles, and that's going to change when they hire a new chief of police. That's a ringing endorsement of someone's performance. The article speaks volumes by what it doesn't say-they are willing to pay you six months salary to be rid of you. Most likely, they think it's cheap at twice the price. Well, the sign idiot can now order a new banner...AMF
taxpayer

Fort Washington, PA

#2 Jun 25, 2009
Chief Baker,

Thanks for the many years of service to the people of Littlestown. Best wishes to you and Barb on your retirement. Enjoy those grandbabies.
Kirby G

Bethesda, MD

#3 Jun 25, 2009
What a surprise to see this in the paper. With 43 years of combined law enforcement service, this is a huge tribute to Don and the work he must have loved and had such a strong passion for, they do not make guys like this everyday. I want to say THANK YOU for all the many years of service you had given to the local residents as well as to the State. Littlestown and really any township will be hard pressed to find a replacement with the same quality and characteristics and devotion to the job as you have shown.

Wishing you all the very best as you begin a new chapter in your life, may you be blessed with many, many great years of good health and memorable family times, you really deserve it. You are indeed a class act.

You take care of yourself!
Facts

Baltimore, MD

#4 Jun 25, 2009
Littlestown wants someone to be at will and not civil service. With their long-standing tradition of rational thinking, deep open discussion and careful consideration for common sense, this will go swimmingly!

Just ask the guy with the hats.
Chief Buckwheat

Chambersburg, PA

#5 Jun 25, 2009
Now they will hire a Black Chief/commissioner
L-town Resident

United States

#6 Jun 25, 2009
Thank You Very Much Chief Baker. Enjoy the grandkids. I wish you the best. You and Barb have a great time and sit back and relax.
Joe the Plumber

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Jun 25, 2009
It's just time," Baker says after 18 years as chief

IT WAS TIME 10 YEARS AGO

Baker said he may not be in every day this week, but he indicated he will be at the station a few days next week

SO WHAT'S NEW? THE GUY NEVER WORKED A 40 HOUR WORK WEEK. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME HE WAS IN UNIFORM?

Out of Area

Middletown, PA

#8 Jun 25, 2009
Joe you are an idiot and know absolutely nothing about management or emergency service providers. As Chief of Police he is considered a manager and a manager can work 20 hours 30 hours 40 hours 50 hours or even 60 hours. A managers hours are not set as long as he manages and does what his job description entails. Lets also not forget when heads of police and or fire are called in because of an incident in the middle of the night, weekends and holidays, or do you think they get paid overtime. Perhaps you and others should apply, whoops forgot there are certain qualifications needed.
L-Town girl

Shermans Dale, PA

#9 Jun 25, 2009
I'm thrilled they will get a no contract person in there. Maybe then they will work to keep their job and do a better job.
Agree with Joe the Plumber.
Facts

Baltimore, MD

#10 Jun 25, 2009
L-Town girl wrote:
I'm thrilled they will get a no contract person in there. Maybe then they will work to keep their job and do a better job.
Agree with Joe the Plumber.
Regardless of whether people think Don did a good job or not, allowing the chief of police to be hired and fired on the whim of a council and/or manager which has not always shown the best judgment is not the greatest idea in the world.

Changing chiefs and changing the type of position are two totally different issues. Even though I live in Hanover, I hope Littlestown doesn't hire the right person then get rid of them based on some petty political issue because the employee classification makes it possible.
HAha

State College, PA

#11 Jun 25, 2009
SO WHAT'S NEW? THE GUY NEVER WORKED A 40 HOUR WORK WEEK. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME HE WAS IN UNIFORM?

Sweatpants fit better!
local

Lancaster, PA

#12 Jun 25, 2009
This is VERY positive news for littlestown, it is long over due...don't let the door hit ya in a**
The Big Keishka

Dundalk, MD

#13 Jun 25, 2009
THIS HAS LINDA HESS WRITTEN ALL OVER IT!!!! SHE STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!
TonyFromAbbottst own

Morristown, TN

#14 Jun 25, 2009
Congrats Mr. Baker on your retirement. Being a resident of Littlestown for a few years I must say that Chief Baker was always very nice to deal with and always gave you a fair shake. He will be missed.
yorker

York, PA

#15 Jun 25, 2009
i love it -
"Baker's duties were mostly administrative, and his absence will not affect the level of police presence or protection in the borough, Adams said."

So they are saying that basically he was worthless and never did anything anyways???? little towns crack me up....
Friend of cops

Hagerstown, MD

#16 Jun 25, 2009
Congrats Bake on your retirement.
BJS

Hampstead, MD

#17 Jun 25, 2009
Chief Baker is a class act and has served the community as a police officer and a youth basketball and football coach for years. He deserves respect for what he has contributed to his community all of these years. Bunch a cop haters in L-town writing on this board. Congrats and good luck!
Shrader

East Greenville, PA

#18 Jun 25, 2009
Congrats Donnie,
Enjoy your retirement, you've worked hard your entire career and now it's time to sit back and enjoy watching the grandkids grow up. I am 54 yrs old myself now....but I never forgot the break you gave me when I was in my 20's and got caught on the wrong side of the law. It gave me a whole new respect for police officers. Take care.
Local

United States

#19 Jun 25, 2009
Chief Buckwheat wrote:
Now they will hire a Black Chief/commissioner
And your point is????? If he/she is qualified then they deserve to get the position NO MATTER what color they are. You are an IDIOT!!!!!!
Littlestown Resident

United States

#20 Jun 25, 2009
Congratulations Chief. You deserve the best life has to offer. You have always been fair not only with the "outlaws" but with your own staff. Sit back, enjoy your grandchildren, and have a great life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littlestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Apr 19 Idiots 7,643
News Police investigate attempted robbery, two robbe... Apr 19 Fitius T Bluster 1
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Apr 8 Cymarron 16
Snyder's Lance - Morrisville NC Mar '18 Pat Connolly 18
Medical Littlestown Community pool Feb '18 Davenport 4
News New stores to Hanover (Dec '10) Jan '18 Bry 126
don't date in this S%I^hole town Jan '18 Jsmith 1

Littlestown Jobs

Personal Finance

Littlestown Mortgages