Littlestown to see tax raise

Littlestown to see tax raise

There are 40 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 15, 2010, titled Littlestown to see tax raise. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Littlestown homeowners will be paying more in taxes and there will be fewer school staffers after Monday night's passage of the school district's budget.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
L-Town girl

Gettysburg, PA

#1 Jun 16, 2010
as usual: hit the property owners. Don't even think that some of us are retirees with no COLA in our Social Sec. either. Where is this fair?

Renters don't pay squat for any of this. I'm thinking of selling and moving to another State. Delaware has no taxes.

This is more than a joke.

What about the new assessments due in 2011...guess they want to get the most now while they still can.SICK, SICK, SICK!
L-town homeowner

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Jun 16, 2010
L-Town girl wrote:
as usual: hit the property owners. Don't even think that some of us are retirees with no COLA in our Social Sec. either. Where is this fair?
Renters don't pay squat for any of this. I'm thinking of selling and moving to another State. Delaware has no taxes.
What about the new assessments due in 2011...guess they want to get the most now while they still can.SICK, SICK, SICK!
Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!!! I don`t even have kids in L-town schools, but you may as well get used to having to pay increased taxes wherever you go. So move from here if you wish, and a better time for you, as I wish you adieu. I am also retired and have to pay LOTS of money for my insurance. Since renters don`t pay, why don`t you rent?????? Leave the rest of the homeowners alone and quit your bitching.
L-Town Parent

Wayne, PA

#3 Jun 16, 2010
L-Town girl wrote:
Renters DO pay squat - the landlord will see his taxes go up and pass it along in the form of rent increases
Good luck on the move to Delaware - That state may have no sales or income tax, but the three counties in that state DO levy property taxes. If you check real estate listings, you'll see that property taxes are a bit higher there than L-town's for similar priced homes.
In summary, sorry about your lack of a COLA in your SS check, but I got no raise either, but I cut back elsewhere in order to save more. I have no intention of having SSS be my only source of income in my retirement. I feel L-town school board has done an admirable job in keeping taxes as low as possible when compared to neighboring districts.
MOM

State College, PA

#4 Jun 16, 2010
It's so great to be retired on a fixed income. Since I've been retired my property tax has been increased x 2, school tax x 2 and they're ready to do it all again. It doesn't pay to be a property owner. By the time I pay medicare D, supplimentary medical insurance and insurance for medicines which is a joke with high copays, the donut hole and medicines they don't cover at all, it costs me almost double what I paid out of pocket for private insurance which we are not allowed to have anymore. Retired people with no kids in school should not be required to pay school tax in the first place.
capitalist

New Oxford, PA

#5 Jun 16, 2010
MOM wrote:
It's so great to be retired on a fixed income. Since I've been retired my property tax has been increased x 2, school tax x 2 and they're ready to do it all again. It doesn't pay to be a property owner. By the time I pay medicare D, supplimentary medical insurance and insurance for medicines which is a joke with high copays, the donut hole and medicines they don't cover at all, it costs me almost double what I paid out of pocket for private insurance which we are not allowed to have anymore. Retired people with no kids in school should not be required to pay school tax in the first place.
Really, MOM? Who paid for you to go to school? Who paid for YOUR kids to go to school? Did your parents pay tuition? Did you pay tuition? Since you are unwilling to help pay for the education of future generations, perhaps you would be willing to pay back the money you owe for yours?
Tony

Baltimore, MD

#6 Jun 16, 2010
This is why the goverment SHOULD NOT be in charge of education. Everyone should pay as they go on their own. That way if you do not have brats then you do not have to pay. My parents paid for my education so why should I have to pay for everyone elses. The goverment just sqanders the money and gives it to the unions anyway. I would like to see a breakdown per student and where that money goes.
As for landlords they should pay triple taxes for the way they run the buildings in Littletown. Every homeowner should picket. We need to send a message that we (town folk) are not there ATM machines.
Tony

Baltimore, MD

#7 Jun 16, 2010
Oh and for the people who are going to say we can't afford to pay for their childs education. Simple- DO NOT HAVE THEM!
Tony

Baltimore, MD

#8 Jun 16, 2010
capitalist wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, MOM? Who paid for you to go to school? Who paid for YOUR kids to go to school? Did your parents pay tuition? Did you pay tuition? Since you are unwilling to help pay for the education of future generations, perhaps you would be willing to pay back the money you owe for yours?
Typical Lib. You always want SOMEONE elses money. My parents did pay for my eduaction so no I should not have to pay for yours.
What

United States

#9 Jun 16, 2010
Hey, this is how we fund public education in PA. It may not be fair, but I have not read anything on here that makes more sense.

MOM, if retired people paid nothing the rest of us would pay even more, is that fair?
Tony

Gwynn Oak, MD

#10 Jun 16, 2010
What wrote:
Hey, this is how we fund public education in PA. It may not be fair, but I have not read anything on here that makes more sense.
MOM, if retired people paid nothing the rest of us would pay even more, is that fair?
I know that is how everyone does it. Where does it say that the goverment should run education. It is a parents job to raise the kids sooo.. they need to pay for school. Retired people should NOT pay taxes and I am only 25 and saying that. We will take care of rug rats but not our seniors. What a sad way to run things.

Yes I am a Libertarian, so I do not want the goverment in my life. Just protect the citizens of the nation.
MOM

Pickerington, OH

#11 Jun 16, 2010
I sure hope with the increase in School Lunches, you provide more on their plates then what they have been getting. The kids have to buy extra, becuase the portions are so small. Maybe ok when they were in the elementary school, but come on the high school kids need more then that.
Tony

Baltimore, MD

#12 Jun 16, 2010
MOM wrote:
I sure hope with the increase in School Lunches, you provide more on their plates then what they have been getting. The kids have to buy extra, becuase the portions are so small. Maybe ok when they were in the elementary school, but come on the high school kids need more then that.
This is why half the kids are FAT. TOo much food. They probably could cut down a little bit more. I do not see too many skinny kids around town.
WHAT

United States

#13 Jun 16, 2010
Public education has been in place for several hundred years, thinking you will change this policy is a pipe dream. I think if you divide the budget by the number of students you get about $10,000 per student. Do you actually think parents can aford that?$20-30,000 after tax money per year? I am sure you'll argue private schools are cheaper but they don't deal with all the special needs students. What would you do with those students? Lock them away or charge $75,000 per year? The problem is too much government regulation of education, trying to fix other social problems at school where they don't belong, and not the least is the unions. The government says do this or do that and provides no money which means locally the burden falls to the property tax payer. The unions protect poor teachers and work the state government for even sweeter deals. This is what needs to change but again that one too is a pipe dream.
Tony

Gwynn Oak, MD

#14 Jun 16, 2010
WHAT wrote:
Public education has been in place for several hundred years, thinking you will change this policy is a pipe dream. I think if you divide the budget by the number of students you get about $10,000 per student. Do you actually think parents can aford that?$20-30,000 after tax money per year? I am sure you'll argue private schools are cheaper but they don't deal with all the special needs students. What would you do with those students? Lock them away or charge $75,000 per year? The problem is too much government regulation of education, trying to fix other social problems at school where they don't belong, and not the least is the unions. The government says do this or do that and provides no money which means locally the burden falls to the property tax payer. The unions protect poor teachers and work the state government for even sweeter deals. This is what needs to change but again that one too is a pipe dream.
Ahh the poor teachers who chose that job. As for special needs that would be the exeption. And yes private schools do handle special needs. Like I said before if you can't feed em dont breed em.(that includes education)
Littlestown Homeowner

Haymarket, VA

#15 Jun 16, 2010
L-Town girl wrote:
Why don't you think the renters won't pay. Do you think the landlord will rent at a loss? Get your head out of your @ss. The landlord has to pay the taxes!
Act I of 2009

Westminster, MD

#16 Jun 16, 2010
You had your chance then to get money from earned income when that was on the ballot, but was soundly voted down by all PA residents. That was the alternative to generate more funds instead of raising taxes on properties and potentially save retirees from property tax increases. A higher percentage of the taxes from earned income would have gone to the school districts, but the communication on what that was about was very poor unless you read through the legislation.

I don't remember if the tax would have been applied to retiree pension payouts, but I believe that earned income was exempt.
mom

United States

#17 Jun 16, 2010
great - here we go again.
wabbit27

Aspers, PA

#18 Jun 16, 2010
With the loss of MasterBrand. Littlestown loss a lot of money with no new bussiness coming into town. That was a big loss to the school district.
wabbit27

Aspers, PA

#19 Jun 16, 2010
I live in LASD.
dragonbabe

Shippensburg, PA

#20 Jun 16, 2010
they need to hire people in administration but where the staff is definitely needed they want to cut back. And what is wrong with the buses that they need replaced and not just repaired. The school board has no clue how to go about improving things to save money. I am not stating I could do better however some of the things they are doing is making no sense whatsoever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Littlestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 6 hr Lippy has a small... 7,379
News Hanover-area man charged in child sex sting (Aug '12) Aug 13 Gettysburg shucks... 7
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Aug 7 Archie 15
Pa. Game commisssion sucks (Nov '11) Aug 5 badcomm 31
News Police log: Subject defecated on a porch Jun '17 Steve Gratman 5
Fill dirt Jun '17 Steve Gratman 6
Review: Hanover School Of Ballet (Aug '11) Jun '17 olddancemom 4

Littlestown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Littlestown Mortgages