Four KARK Employees Fired In Video Af...

Four KARK Employees Fired In Video Aftermath; Nexstar VP Apologizes

Posted in the Little Rock Forum

Little Rock, AR

#1 Jul 9, 2010
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx...

Three KARK on-air employees and a photographer have been fired in the aftermath of two profanity-laden spoof videos posted to video-sharing website YouTube, ArkansasBusiness.com has learned.

KARK reporters Pete Thompson, Courtney Collins, Jake Hatley and news photographer Chris Jameson were fired Thursday after ArkansasBusiness.com first reported on the videos. In addition, up to five off-air employees were suspended for three days.
Cherry

Sherwood, AR

#2 Jul 9, 2010

Peru, IN

#3 Jul 9, 2010
The REAL story is better. This video was posted on You Tube, but not in a way that everyone could see it. A friend of a friend or who ever got this video into the hands of THV channel 11. And they saw blood in the water. Now in Little Rock for some time it has been a two station race, KATV channel 7 and THV channel 11. Not the case anymore. The last two rating books have shown KARK channel 4 rising rapidly and the others trying to hold on to what they used to have. When THV saw these videos they felt it was time to ruin some people’s lives and maybe slow down the rising popularity of KARK. THV didn’t have the guts to run this story themselves so they turned to Arkansas Buisness.com , whom THV has a close partnership with. Why run with this? Why push this story so hard? This story was on many Gannett owned properties.(Gannett owns THV) There is no real story here. THV knew, like all TV and Radio stations know, in every “on air” talent contract are terms stating talent will not participate in such a manner that would reflect poorly on the station. THV knew if they pushed this story hard enough it would back KARK management into a corner and cause them to make a decision that any other TV or Radio station would make. THV knew if this happened at their station they would have to fire those involve, so they pushed this story with everything they had knowing KARK would have to do the same. THV and Arkansas Business.com accomplished nothing but ruin good people’s lives. One of the people fired is a father of four children, and THV just put him out on the street in the worst economic time we’ve seen in a while. They could have said,“Look at those guys over there making bad You Tube videos, lets work harder and make a better product and take back what was once ours.” No, they took a different road. A road that hopefully leads to a special place in hell.
Buck Farack

Charleston, WV

#4 Jul 10, 2010
Yep, life is all about choices.....
Buck Farack

Charleston, WV

#5 Jul 10, 2010
Whoa, just watched the first one, and half the second. Pretty graphic!!
LSS

Columbus, IN

#6 Jul 10, 2010
Buck Farack wrote:
Whoa, just watched the first one, and half the second. Pretty graphic!!
Watched the videos. Glad I found them. Came specifically to this site to attempt to find. Found them rather amusing. I will say they captured my full attention; don't know if they would have if there wasn't such a bru-ha about them and if I didn't watch both local channels. Found the videos kinda funny, really, altho I totally understand KARK wanting to preserve their reputation. Pretty gutsy to film right at KARK and use their equipment, so, in that aspect I agree with the firing. But graphic - I am over 50 - not anything I have not heard before nor have my teens not heard before. What could really be construed as graphic is your screen nick name - Buck Farack (?) Found that amusing as well.
Cherry

Sherwood, AR

#7 Jul 10, 2010
"time to ruin some people's lives" ?!? I don't know ANY corporation that would overlook that type of unprofessional behavior on company time and property. That ass chose to make those videos. To jeopardize one's own job, in "in the worst economic time we’ve seen in a while" as you said, is in short idiocy on his part. I feel bad for his children, but he made his own bed.
Guest wrote:
The REAL story is better. This video was posted on You Tube, but not in a way that everyone could see it. A friend of a friend or who ever got this video into the hands of THV channel 11. And they saw blood in the water. Now in Little Rock for some time it has been a two station race, KATV channel 7 and THV channel 11. Not the case anymore. The last two rating books have shown KARK channel 4 rising rapidly and the others trying to hold on to what they used to have. When THV saw these videos they felt it was time to ruin some people’s lives and maybe slow down the rising popularity of KARK. THV didn’t have the guts to run this story themselves so they turned to Arkansas Buisness.com , whom THV has a close partnership with. Why run with this? Why push this story so hard? This story was on many Gannett owned properties.(Gannett owns THV) There is no real story here. THV knew, like all TV and Radio stations know, in every “on air” talent contract are terms stating talent will not participate in such a manner that would reflect poorly on the station. THV knew if they pushed this story hard enough it would back KARK management into a corner and cause them to make a decision that any other TV or Radio station would make. THV knew if this happened at their station they would have to fire those involve, so they pushed this story with everything they had knowing KARK would have to do the same. THV and Arkansas Business.com accomplished nothing but ruin good people’s lives. One of the people fired is a father of four children, and THV just put him out on the street in the worst economic time we’ve seen in a while. They could have said,“Look at those guys over there making bad You Tube videos, lets work harder and make a better product and take back what was once ours.” No, they took a different road. A road that hopefully leads to a special place in hell.
Get Real

Cuba, NY

#8 Jul 12, 2010
To quote an old boss of mine, "Bad choices suck". Well, these 4 people made some bad choices. In absolutely no way should anyone look negatively at the station for firing these individuals. They had to know that if this got out, their jobs would be in jeopardy. Maybe they didn't think it would get out, and that they could control who saw it, well, not only do they make bad choices, but they don't appear to be overly bright either then. Sorry guys, wish it didn't have to be this way, but there is no one to blame, but yourselves.
Hargrave Construction

Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 13, 2010
I hate my F'N JOB.....LMAO

Pete Thompson calling Courtney Semen Demon was funny as hell!

now...how bout Melissa Simas? She is such a hottie.
Adorable as can be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Leftovers 21,051
Moving to, relocating to, Short term stay in Li... 4 hr arkansasriv 2
Companies looking to house employees Thu arkansasriv 1
Diane Keisler Thu Marti 1
Crazy but true - need advice here Thu Peter 3
You guys did it!! Now overall record is in sight!! Aug 16 Kenny 1
Back to School TV Coverage Aug 15 thread update 3

Little Rock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Little Rock Mortgages