More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,138

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
guess who

Mountain Home, AR

#8597 Jan 31, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
My backyard is all fenced in. Stuff happens though. A few weeks ago there was an opossum in the front yard. One of my dogs got so excited, he ran right through the fence ripping it from anchors where it's attached to the side of the house. Luckily, my bf heard the commotion and got the dog back while he was still in the front yard and before he hurt the animal. I was at work when it happened and had NO CONTROL over the situation.
I consider myself a responsible pet owner. My dog certainly would NOT deserve to be killed if he entered someone elses property. NO dog deserves to die for it, and the owners don't deserve the grief they would feel at the loss of a pet in that manner.
Repeat offenses may be cause for more debate, but not an innocent dog that just happens by ...by accident. I would be devasted if I came home after a hard days work and find out someone killed my dog. Even worse would be never knowing if my dog was dead or alive.
I hope you contact the owners and let them know what happened. That's the least you can do to spare someone a life of hell always wondering if their dog is hurt or in pain somewhere. Put their mind at rest, Churm.
I took those pets to the highway a few miles from my place about 2 am in the morning and dumped them at the edge of the pavement. Then ran them over with my pickup. That way fidos owner thinks that fido got hit bay a vehicle. If I let them know fido was squeezed to death in a conibar body grip trap because he was doing something where he had ought naught be. they might take revenge . There isnt a home within a 1/2 mile of where they where trapped. Now I welcome your post. It gives debate and maybe we can educate pet owners to become responsible. Those dogs had formed a very large pack. They roamed at nite. They tore the ears & tail off & chewed the nose up on one of my cattle. I brought her home and doctored her and she lived but boy is she hard to look at. The same pack killed some cattle in the surrounding area. They where people and Gun shy a because few others where shot by neighboring cattlemen. My donkey & lamas got a few also. The livestock owners cant always be present & guarding their animals. However those traps are present & working 24X7.
guess who

Mountain Home, AR

#8598 Jan 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Go back on your word much? This post qualifies you to run for political office.
Im unaware of the so calLed (Word) Ive went back on?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8599 Jan 31, 2013
<quoted text>
My backyard is all fenced in. Stuff happens though. A few weeks ago there was an opossum in the front yard. One of my dogs got so excited, he ran right through the fence ripping it from anchors where it's attached to the side of the house. Luckily, my bf heard the commotion and got the dog back while he was still in the front yard and before he hurt the animal. I was at work when it happened and had NO CONTROL over the situation.
I consider myself a responsible pet owner. My dog certainly would NOT deserve to be killed if he entered someone elses property. NO dog deserves to die for it, and the owners don't deserve the grief they would feel at the loss of a pet in that manner.
Repeat offenses may be cause for more debate, but not an innocent dog that just happens by ...by accident. I would be devasted if I came home after a hard days work and find out someone killed my dog. Even worse would be never knowing if my dog was dead or alive.
I hope you contact the owners and let them know what happened. That's the least you can do to spare someone a life of hell always wondering if their dog is hurt or in pain somewhere. Put their mind at rest, Churm.
A RESPONSIBLE pet owner has a fence where their dog can't get out. I fenced off 2 acres with six foot tall chain link fence burying one foot under ground so my dogs can't dig out. You would have to drive a truck through that fence at a good speed to detatch any anchors or corner posts. My dogs have been back there since 1998, never got out once. My neighbor down the road lets his two dogs roam free. They have taken my elk and oryx antlers/horns (and dragged them over to their place) that I put out for yard decoration, they have torn up expensive yard Chritmas decorations and have chewed up an expensive pair of Ostrich Skin boots my buddy left on the porch because they were a little muddy one day when he was visiting. One came over to my property while I was spreading out landscaping rock and growled at me. I quickly ran him off with my shovel. Not to mention all the dog poop they deposit all over my property. I am really close to putting these dogs out of my misery if you know what I mean!
guess who

Mountain Home, AR

#8600 Jan 31, 2013
<quoted text>
your different than the irresponsible pet owners whos dogs I trapped. You immediately cauhgt you dog and fixed the fence. These dogs came from a subdivision miles from my place. their owners knowing let their animals run at large. They usually dont or care where their pets are or what their doing. So far only one had a collar with the rabies tag but no owners name plate. You fido should be commended for being a varmit killing dog Iwished he had got the opossum . My dog pen is chain link with a electric wire six inches from the bottom to prevent digging under.
guess who

Mountain Home, AR

#8601 Jan 31, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>A RESPONSIBLE pet owner has a fence where their dog can't get out. I fenced off 2 acres with six foot tall chain link fence burying one foot under ground so my dogs can't dig out. You would have to drive a truck through that fence at a good speed to detatch any anchors or corner posts. My dogs have been back there since 1998, never got out once. My neighbor down the road lets his two dogs roam free. They have taken my elk and oryx antlers/horns (and dragged them over to their place) that I put out for yard decoration, they have torn up expensive yard Chritmas decorations and have chewed up an expensive pair of Ostrich Skin boots my buddy left on the porch because they were a little muddy one day when he was visiting. One came over to my property while I was spreading out landscaping rock and growled at me. I quickly ran him off with my shovel. Not to mention all the dog poop they deposit all over my property. I am really close to putting these dogs out of my misery if you know what I mean!
I reccomend the 10 inch body grip traps. Make a funnel to direct the targret into the trap. a big dog it just catches the head so chain it securely. they soon expire and cant bark. then in the nite place them in the road and run over them.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8602 Jan 31, 2013
I had a bobcat in the backyard last week. He was as big as the dogs. I only have two dogs left and both are 14 so they don't get around as good as they once did. One is completely deaf and the other is completely dumb! LOL! That bobcat wasn't worried in the least bit.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8603 Jan 31, 2013
guess who wrote:
<quoted text> Im unaware of the so calLed (Word) Ive went back on?
You said you would not post what you trap.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8604 Jan 31, 2013
guess who wrote:
<quoted text> I reccomend the 10 inch body grip traps. Make a funnel to direct the targret into the trap. a big dog it just catches the head so chain it securely. they soon expire and cant bark. then in the nite place them in the road and run over them.
I am just going to step out my front door and shoot them right through the lungs. After they drop I will throw them in the trash and take them to the dump.

SE Michigan

#8605 Jan 31, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>A RESPONSIBLE pet owner has a fence where their dog can't get out. I fenced off 2 acres with six foot tall chain link fence burying one foot under ground so my dogs can't dig out. You would have to drive a truck through that fence at a good speed to detatch any anchors or corner posts. My dogs have been back there since 1998, never got out once. My neighbor down the road lets his two dogs roam free. They have taken my elk and oryx antlers/horns (and dragged them over to their place) that I put out for yard decoration, they have torn up expensive yard Chritmas decorations and have chewed up an expensive pair of Ostrich Skin boots my buddy left on the porch because they were a little muddy one day when he was visiting. One came over to my property while I was spreading out landscaping rock and growled at me. I quickly ran him off with my shovel. Not to mention all the dog poop they deposit all over my property. I am really close to putting these dogs out of my misery if you know what I mean!
I'd be upset about that too. There's a difference between owners that ALWAYS let their dogs roam and a dog that inadvertantly gets loose while being restrained (to the best of ones ability).

I have a four foot chicken wire fence around most of my yard. There is chain link fence on two sides of the house where the neighbors property meets ours. Five different dogs lived their whole lives and never got out of the yard.

My rott mix is a different and unique story. Three times he climbed the chain link fence and got out, but ONLY before we "officially" adopted him. Once it became official, he seemd to know he had a new home and never again climbed the fence. LOL. Only recently the opossum incident happened and he broke right through. The opossum froze in place so the dog didn't attack him.

One time we had him on the leash and tied him to a post briefly so we could throw sticks in the river for the two retrievers to fetch. He got so excited at us leaving him tied up, though we were only twenty feet away, he gave one good tug and broke the leash in two.

We watch all our dogs closely and even our Houdini dog has never left the property line even when he climbed the fence. That's not to say it couldn't happen. Like I said, repeat offenses can be debated as to how to handle them.

SE Michigan

#8606 Jan 31, 2013
guess who wrote:
<quoted text> your different than the irresponsible pet owners whos dogs I trapped. You immediately cauhgt you dog and fixed the fence. These dogs came from a subdivision miles from my place. their owners knowing let their animals run at large. They usually dont or care where their pets are or what their doing. So far only one had a collar with the rabies tag but no owners name plate. You fido should be commended for being a varmit killing dog Iwished he had got the opossum . My dog pen is chain link with a electric wire six inches from the bottom to prevent digging under.
I like Opossums. I don't want my dogs killing any native wildlife. I intentionally attract birds and animals here. That's because I want to see and enjoy them. It's my entertainment.

At our cabin up north, I've had a Ruffed Grouse hanging out. I've been trying to photograph it, but he's giving me a heck of a time. I got a few shots of him last weekend, but nothing to write home about. This weekend it's back to the drawing board. Spending hours sitting on the porch in the freezing cold waiting for him to come into view or tracking his fresh prints in the snow is something I have been enjoying immensely during the past month. Wildlife is entertaining and SO MUCH FUN! I don't understand anyone wanting these creatures dead.
Thegrimreaper

Ash Flat, AR

#8607 Jan 31, 2013
You cowards do know that there is a place in hell for people like you, don't you. I can assure you, anybody do that to any of my animals, they will have the chance to do the same to me. The difference being, I will be more than glad to fight back! Of course, being the cowards you are, it would be tough to ever find you. But, that is what cowards do. If any of you had any shame, you would be ashamed of yourselves, but that just speaks for the way you were raised. At least no one in Heaven has to worry about being around any of you, do they? Of course, I bet you are "good" christians. What a joke.

SE Michigan

#8608 Jan 31, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
I had a bobcat in the backyard last week. He was as big as the dogs. I only have two dogs left and both are 14 so they don't get around as good as they once did. One is completely deaf and the other is completely dumb! LOL! That bobcat wasn't worried in the least bit.
Animals know!
My rott was chasing a rabbit recently. Meanwhile the puppy was chasing the rott. The rabbit knew the old dog who was watching the whole scene unfold wasn't a threat, and the rabbit, in his effort to get to the fence where he could go through it, ran right past the old guy who showed no reaction whatsoever.

SE Michigan

#8609 Jan 31, 2013
Thegrimreaper wrote:
You cowards do know that there is a place in hell for people like you, don't you. I can assure you, anybody do that to any of my animals, they will have the chance to do the same to me. The difference being, I will be more than glad to fight back! Of course, being the cowards you are, it would be tough to ever find you. But, that is what cowards do. If any of you had any shame, you would be ashamed of yourselves, but that just speaks for the way you were raised. At least no one in Heaven has to worry about being around any of you, do they? Of course, I bet you are "good" christians. What a joke.
I've been fighting Churm on this issue for eons. I understand wanting to protect livestock, but to kill animals who aren't, or may never be, a threat is beyond reason. Warrior just likes to kill....and is good at it....so he says. I don't know where they will go in the end,(and I don't wish anything bad on them) but I do know God is watching and he loves all the creatures he created.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8610 Jan 31, 2013
<quoted text>
I've been fighting Churm on this issue for eons. I understand wanting to protect livestock, but to kill animals who aren't, or may never be, a threat is beyond reason. Warrior just likes to kill....and is good at it....so he says. I don't know where they will go in the end,(and I don't wish anything bad on them) but I do know God is watching and he loves all the creatures he created.
I will probably wind up in some type of purgatory being attacked over & over by the varmits I dispatched. And Im not a christan.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8611 Feb 1, 2013
Thegrimreaper wrote:
I am not a coward, just the opposite if I say so myself. God gave me a gift and I use it. I do the dirty work so you don't have to. You can go to the store and buy your beef and chicken or go to McDonalds and stuff your pie hole with Big Macs and it doesn't phase you one bit that somebody on this planet had to kill an animal so you could fill your belly. You hypocrites crack me up.

I have no problem shooting your mangy mutt if he is a bother to me, my family or my property and there is nothing you could do about it. I suggest you keep Fido locked up if you want him to survive.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8612 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>
See above post as you shove that bacon in your mouth this morning!

SE Michigan

#8613 Feb 1, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>See above post as you shove that bacon in your mouth this morning!
Today was sausage, thank you. You're forgetting something; I'm not against hunting. I know full well that someone else kills the animals I eat. I'm against killing, for the most part, when the purpose has nothing to do with someones survival.

United States

#8614 Feb 1, 2013
From what
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8615 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Today was sausage, thank you. You're forgetting something; I'm not against hunting. I know full well that someone else kills the animals I eat. I'm against killing, for the most part, when the purpose has nothing to do with someones survival.
Please clarify "for the most part". Thanks.

SE Michigan

#8616 Feb 1, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Please clarify "for the most part". Thanks.
Other than for food, self-defense or defense of ones family or animals, the only other time I can condone killing is in cases when a non-native species is wreaking havoc on native ecosystems or native wildlife and there is no other means of control, i.e., feral cats, feral hogs, zebra mussels, Burmese Pythons.....

"God gave me a gift and I use it."
God gave me a gift too; The gift of life. I believe life is precious and I defend life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ACLU Asks Court To Strike Down Arkansas Parenti... (Jan '09) 19 hr guest 3,390
Review: Roll Out (Aug '11) 21 hr Brandon 39
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 23 hr Fred 19,408
Military Service "Not Good Enough" Wed q ead 6
Born in 1879, pharmacy keeps up with times Wed Tell it like it is 1
Penny Rae Tue Anxiety 3
One Dead, Two Hurt in Wreck in Lonoke County Fr... Oct 25 Ace Smith 3

Freeze Watch for Pulaski County was issued at October 30 at 3:06PM CDT

Little Rock Dating
Find my Match