More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10187 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7772 Oct 30, 2012
Raptor South of Michigan wrote:
Can any Arkansans here recommend a good scenic drive in Northern Arkansas near Mountain Home?
You will have to trvel hwy 412 to cross norfork. you can go west of mt home and take hwy 7 or any roads in newton or scearcy county.
Raptor South of Michigan

Salem, AR

#7774 Oct 30, 2012
Thanks guys.
Hey Churm, I think I passed your place on the way down here. I saw a bunch of classic old cars in the field rusting out, brambles along the fencerow, a whole bunch of chickens, and one dead yellow cat under a tree.
:)
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7775 Oct 30, 2012
Thanks guys.
Hey Churm, I think I passed your place on the way down here. I saw a bunch of classic old cars in the field rusting out, brambles along the fencerow, a whole bunch of chickens, and one dead yellow cat under a tree.
:)
Lot,s of us old farts have classic cars sitting and rotting. They are not for sale! We are gonna fix them up someday! However you cannott see my place from the public road. Ive got a mile of private road between my home and the public road. We have a locked gate 1/4 mile from our house. the Arkansas weather has been pretty good this week. Ive been getting a lot done. Ive cut firewood, dug my sweet potatoes & yams and got the greenhouse in order. Ive got tomato plants in the green house blooming. Im fixing to disc up the corn field and plant vetch to plow under next spring. We let the sheep & goats graze in the corn field the last two weeks they cleaned up a lot of vegitation.
Raptor South of Michigan

New Haven, CT

#7776 Oct 30, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Lot,s of us old farts have classic cars sitting and rotting. They are not for sale! We are gonna fix them up someday! However you cannott see my place from the public road. Ive got a mile of private road between my home and the public road. We have a locked gate 1/4 mile from our house. the Arkansas weather has been pretty good this week. Ive been getting a lot done. Ive cut firewood, dug my sweet potatoes & yams and got the greenhouse in order. Ive got tomato plants in the green house blooming. Im fixing to disc up the corn field and plant vetch to plow under next spring. We let the sheep & goats graze in the corn field the last two weeks they cleaned up a lot of vegitation.
Yep. Can't complain much about the weather. The mornings have been a little cold, but compared to what they're getting back home, this has been wonderful! 60's is perfect for trail hiking. Can't wait to take a scenic drive tomorrow and see what kind of cool shots I can get with my new lens.
bored to death
#7777 Oct 30, 2012
what the f___ does this have to do with dead birds????why is this blog still active ?????got something to say open a new one
Cletus Uforic Jones

AOL

#7778 Oct 31, 2012
Dead birds dead birds dead birds etc etc etc & something else Addicted to the bird thread, too stupid to start one on their own. dead bird bitch bitch dead bird
Raptor South of Michigan

New Haven, CT

#7779 Oct 31, 2012
bored to death wrote:
what the f___ does this have to do with dead birds????why is this blog still active ?????got something to say open a new one
It has everything to do with dead birds. Many of which I saw on todays drive- sadly. Most of them were vultures.

We drove from Bull Shoals down to Flippin. Then took 62 over to Harrison where we got on 7 and headed south through Jasper to Lurton. We got on 123 and headed back where we started from. Jasper has a really good bakery. I would highly recommend their cheesecake muffins! Had a good lunch at the Cliff House Inn on highway 7. In just over 6 hours I took over 600 photos.

I find it a little odd I have not seen any blackbirds yet.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7780 Oct 31, 2012
<quoted text>
It has everything to do with dead birds. Many of which I saw on todays drive- sadly. Most of them were vultures.
We drove from Bull Shoals down to Flippin. Then took 62 over to Harrison where we got on 7 and headed south through Jasper to Lurton. We got on 123 and headed back where we started from. Jasper has a really good bakery. I would highly recommend their cheesecake muffins! Had a good lunch at the Cliff House Inn on highway 7. In just over 6 hours I took over 600 photos.
I find it a little odd I have not seen any blackbirds yet.
Your in the wrong location for black birds. there mostly in the delta where the row crops are grown at this time of the year. I live about 40 miles as a black bird would fly from the bottoms. We get great influxes of them during the winter nites. they like to roost in the pine and cedar.
Raptor South of Michigan

New Haven, CT

#7781 Nov 2, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Your in the wrong location for black birds. there mostly in the delta where the row crops are grown at this time of the year. I live about 40 miles as a black bird would fly from the bottoms. We get great influxes of them during the winter nites. they like to roost in the pine and cedar.
You are lucky. On winter "nites," I only wish they were near my home.
This is wonderful. Vultures are everywhere. Butterflies are everywhere. T-shirt weather. It reminds me of summer at home. One day left, sadly. Gotta head back home to the cold Sunday.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7782 Nov 3, 2012
<quoted text>
You are lucky. On winter "nites," I only wish they were near my home.
This is wonderful. Vultures are everywhere. Butterflies are everywhere. T-shirt weather. It reminds me of summer at home. One day left, sadly. Gotta head back home to the cold Sunday.
My wife used to feed the birds in winter. she put out suet for the woodpeckers and enjoyed then. Then the sparrow hawks kept killing them right at where she was hanging the suet so she quit. those black vultures need a bounty put on them. A farmer on the eleven point lost two colts and 15 baby calves to those black buzzards this year. there are lots of buzzards eating on deer that have died from the blue tounge disease. the prolonged drought allows a midge to flourish.that midge spreads the disease. and the scarcity of clean water maks the deer congretate around the few water holes. that spreads the disease.
Sam

Birmingham, AL

#7783 Nov 5, 2012
Their dying cause white people kill everything they come in contact with so the said hell there gonna kill us anyways lets drop from the sky ourselves god bless the white people who really cares cuz there's some out there just not in ur town

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#7784 Nov 6, 2012
Sam wrote:
Their dying cause white people kill everything they come in contact with so the said hell there gonna kill us anyways lets drop from the sky ourselves god bless the white people who really cares cuz there's some out there just not in ur town
A few properly placed periods, commas and capital letters, in addition to real words, will help you get your point across better. Though I was able to decifer what you said.

There are people from all races that kill. There are also people from all races that care.

It was a black man in Alabama a few years ago that saved a pelican that was caught up in some fishing line.

It was a white man in Arkansas last week that helped me save a gull that got hooked on a fishing lure. I was very impressed how this young man sprung into action without hesitation to help when I told him of the dire situation the bird was in.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7786 Nov 6, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
A few properly placed periods, commas and capital letters, in addition to real words, will help you get your point across better. Though I was able to decifer what you said.
There are people from all races that kill. There are also people from all races that care.
It was a black man in Alabama a few years ago that saved a pelican that was caught up in some fishing line.
It was a white man in Arkansas last week that helped me save a gull that got hooked on a fishing lure. I was very impressed how this young man sprung into action without hesitation to help when I told him of the dire situation the bird was in.
AND it was a WARRIOR who shot a mule deer yesterday to put in the freezer for his family. I also took out two nasty coyotes!

SE Michigan

#7787 Nov 6, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>AND it was a WARRIOR who shot a mule deer yesterday to put in the freezer for his family. I also took out two nasty coyotes!
I love a guy that takes care of his family.
I have big problems with a guy that kills animals out of misunderstanding and ignorance.
What exactly was it that made the coyotes "nasty?" Do you think their family members loved and needed them as much as you love and need your family?

It's no wonder so many meat-eaters are against hunters and hunting.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7788 Nov 6, 2012
<quoted text>
I love a guy that takes care of his family.
I have big problems with a guy that kills animals out of misunderstanding and ignorance.
What exactly was it that made the coyotes "nasty?" Do you think their family members loved and needed them as much as you love and need your family?
It's no wonder so many meat-eaters are against hunters and hunting.
I wonder what was going through that mule deer mothers mind as she saw her poor little innocent fawn being ripped apart by a pack of coyotes? Same with the elk mother and same with the mother of the rancher who had yet another calf murdered by a pack of coyotes because this country is over run with them? I wonder if that rancher has to get a part time job in order to feed and clothe his family because the coyote is eating his profits? It's amazing how even the Game Wardens in this state will tell the hunters to shoot every coyote you come across because the coyote is decimating the deer population. This state is over populated with coyotes and mountain lions and I would have shot as many lions as I could if I had seen any. It's amazing how so many meat eaters as you put it are hypocrites and have no idea about nature or how to manage animals. You should stick to your little birds!

SE Michigan

#7789 Nov 7, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder what was going through that mule deer mothers mind as she saw her poor little innocent fawn being ripped apart by a pack of coyotes? Same with the elk mother and same with the mother of the rancher who had yet another calf murdered by a pack of coyotes because this country is over run with them? I wonder if that rancher has to get a part time job in order to feed and clothe his family because the coyote is eating his profits? It's amazing how even the Game Wardens in this state will tell the hunters to shoot every coyote you come across because the coyote is decimating the deer population. This state is over populated with coyotes and mountain lions and I would have shot as many lions as I could if I had seen any. It's amazing how so many meat eaters as you put it are hypocrites and have no idea about nature or how to manage animals. You should stick to your little birds!
Predators rip apart their prey to eat them. That is nature. If it bothers you, take it up with God. Don't take it out on the poor little coyotes who are just doing what they need to do to survive. You cannot change nature by destroying it and picking and choosing what creatures should have a right to exist. In your twisted little mind you think wild creatures should act the way they do in the Disney movies and that ain't gonna happen.

PS. Congrats on your "Guaranteed" Romney victory.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7790 Nov 7, 2012
<quoted text>
Predators rip apart their prey to eat them. That is nature. If it bothers you, take it up with God. Don't take it out on the poor little coyotes who are just doing what they need to do to survive. You cannot change nature by destroying it and picking and choosing what creatures should have a right to exist. In your twisted little mind you think wild creatures should act the way they do in the Disney movies and that ain't gonna happen.
PS. Congrats on your "Guaranteed" Romney victory.
I am a PREDATOR so why do you have problems with me killing coyotes? If man lets nature go unchecked than you have over population which is detrimental to all species. Why do you think hunting exists? So people can put meat in their freezer or because states see a need in controlling populations? I guess you would like to see all deer and rabbits gone due to the over population of coyotes and lions? I bet money you spray for bugs and set traps out when you have a mouse. Of course you are not a hypocrite because it's YOU that do those things and after all you do your part by feeding a few birds! I made up my mind Saturday morning that my new mission in life is going to be to kill as many coyotes as I can before I die. I will dedicate two days a month to hunt these vile nasty over populated dogs down. I will use rancid meat and coyote calls to get them in close enough for me to KILL! I will then leave them there to rot for your birds to come and feast on.
As far as Obama goes, I will be just fine I am in the 1%. I will pray for you and those like you!
drhatker

Budapest, Hungary

#7791 Nov 7, 2012

SE Michigan

#7792 Nov 7, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am a PREDATOR so why do you have problems with me killing coyotes? If man lets nature go unchecked than you have over population which is detrimental to all species. Why do you think hunting exists? So people can put meat in their freezer or because states see a need in controlling populations? I guess you would like to see all deer and rabbits gone due to the over population of coyotes and lions? I bet money you spray for bugs and set traps out when you have a mouse. Of course you are not a hypocrite because it's YOU that do those things and after all you do your part by feeding a few birds! I made up my mind Saturday morning that my new mission in life is going to be to kill as many coyotes as I can before I die. I will dedicate two days a month to hunt these vile nasty over populated dogs down. I will use rancid meat and coyote calls to get them in close enough for me to KILL! I will then leave them there to rot for your birds to come and feast on.
As far as Obama goes, I will be just fine I am in the 1%. I will pray for you and those like you!
For someone in the 1%, you seemed awfully worried about who was going to win. LMAO.

"Why do you think hunting exists?"
To feed yourself and your family, maybe?? Maybe to have a healthy, balanced ecosystem?

Why do you think hunting LAWS exist? I'll answer that for you. Because when people are left to do whatever they want, they have a NASTY habit of decimating species. Like coyotes or not, they are a necessary part of a healthy, balanced ecosystem. Why do you think they returned wolves to Yellowstone?

They realized that without the predators to control prey species, the prey species got way overpopulated and started destroying the very habitat needed by themselves and so many other critters. The other critters began to disappear. The elk began to starve.

You said,
"If man lets nature go unchecked than you have over population which is detrimental to all species."
You could also word it like this:
"If man interferes with nature than you have over population, OR under-population which is detrimental to all species."

I don't have a problem with regulated hunting. I do have a problem with massive slaughters.

All the deer and rabbits will not be gone if there are coyotes or lions. Predators will not deplete their very food source. Man is the only predator that can make that claim.

"I bet money you spray for bugs and set traps out when you have a mouse."
How much of that 1% do you want to put on this bet? Please just send it to my Paypal account, okay?
I NEVER, EVER use sprays- EVER.
I trap mice humanely and transport them outside alive and unharmed- ALWAYS.

I have made these claims on other threads in the past, so you know it's not a lie.

My yard is registered with the National Wildlife Federation as a certified backyard wildlife habitat. That means I provide food, water, shelter and nesting sites for wildlife. And I use no chemicals, fertilizers or pesticides. 23 years in my home and I have never used any chemicals. I don't even kill bugs in my home. I take them outside and release them unharmed.

You can contact me through my website and make arrangements to send the dough.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7793 Nov 7, 2012
<quoted text>
For someone in the 1%, you seemed awfully worried about who was going to win. LMAO.
"All the deer and rabbits will not be gone if there are coyotes or lions. Predators will not deplete their very food source. Man is the only predator that can make that claim."

So you think coyotes and lions know how many deer and rabbits are out there. So these predators won't eat them during drought years they will just turn to wild berries and Mc Donalds! LMAO! That wolf thing is working out really well don't you think? Those wolves here in New Mexico and Arizona are attacking and killing peoples pets, like their dogs, you have three in bed dogs if I remember. How would you feel to have one of these "PREDATORS" kill your dogs? They are also killing sheep and cattle here. But what the heck you liberals don't mind the ranchers losing their money after all it's not your cash! Why do you take mice and transport them out of their natural habitat? What about the mouses family? Don't you think little johnny mouse wakes up one morning to find out that his mother is gone and that you have transported her to a foreign land? Don't you think little johnnie mouse might have feelings and loves his mother as much as coyotes and deer love their mothers? I will continue to kill every coyote and wolf I come across!

Obama is my President for the next 4 years. Like I said I will be just fine!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 49 min Hipocrit 20,492
Kathryn the maumelle KAT HORR 1 hr biker 13
El Do Scandal Wed Vertis M 1
New to the area. Need advice on places for diff... Aug 23 atomsmasher 2
Salon? Aug 17 Rita40 1
Buy a shirt! Aug 17 agree 5
News U.S. and World News - Taped Beating Leads To Ar... (Jun '07) Aug 17 Tommy Cheramie 7

Little Rock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Little Rock Mortgages