More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Comments (Page 359)

Showing posts 7,161 - 7,180 of9,785
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> No protection at all. They only have to be (about too) cause damage. I was just commenting on the fact that Me shooting them for roosting in my cedar glade was inddeed legal, Also the city of jonesboro ark spraying them with soapy water on a cold nite was also legal. when thousands roost in the same area for any considerable time they pose a health hazard and their droppings over nitrate the trees and kill them.
Human waste pollutes our waters and pose a health hazard. Should we kill humans in areas where they congregate too?

I can't believe there would be a dangerous amount of waste left behind from roosting blackbirds. They usually defecate shortly after eating. If they are sleeping all night, there isn't much digested food that can come out of them. The people there sound like they are either paranoid, or uneducated.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
Fungal Diseases
Among the fungal diseases associated
with bird and bat droppings the two
most common are histoplasmosis and
cryptococcosis.
Histoplasmosis
Histoplasmosis is caused by a fungus
(Histoplasma capsulatum). The disease
is transmitted to humans by airborne
fungus spores from soil contaminated by
pigeon and starling droppings (as well
as from the droppings of other birds
and bats). The active and inactive
roosts of blackbirds, starlings,
grackles and cowbirds have
also been found to be
heavily contaminated with
fungus spores.
The soil under a roost usually
has been enriched by droppings for
three years or more for the disease
organism to reach significant levels.
Although almost always associated with
soil, the fungus has been found in
droppings alone, particularly those
from bats. Infection occurs when
spores, carried by the air, are
inhaled especially after a roost has
been disturbed. Most infections are
mild and produce either no symptoms or
a minor influenza-like illness. On
occasion, the disease can cause high
fever, blood abnormalities, pneumonia
and even death. In some areas up to 80
percent of the population show evidence
of previous, usually asymptomatic
infection.
You are far more likely to pick up a dangerous bug from someone behind you at the grocers than you are from walking underneath a bird roost.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Propane cannons fire at nite and other times as well. Ive been at the port on the Ohio river at Mt vernon Indiana in winter at nite when a propane cannon went off there where thousands upon thousands of black birds. they all flew up into the nite sky and most settled right back down. and there wheren any to be seen that where injured or dead from flying into stuff
"they all flew up into the nite sky and most settled right back down."
There's your answer. They flew into the sky. That's a whole lot different than flying into houses and buildings. While I can't prove what happened that dreadful night, I can speculate what likely happened.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
Bye Bye Blackbirds Poison Program of the USDA
: USDA Acknowledges a Hand in One Mass Bird Death, I didnt take it too seriously. Yet this story, a repost of a Christian Science Monitor article on the Truthout website, turns out to be true. Evidently the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has taken responsibility for the death of hundreds of starlings, found frozen on the ground and in the trees in a park in Yankton, South Dakota, in late January. A farmer contracted the government to poison the starlings, that were causing problems in a cattle feedlot, eating the feed and leaving waste on both the feed and equipment.
It turns out that the USDA has been providing this service to farmers since the 1960s, in a program called Bye Bye Blackbird, using an avicide called DCR-1339 to kill the birds. In 2009 alone, according to the Christian Science Monitor article, USDA agents have euthanized more than 4 million red-winged blackbirds, starlings, cowbirds, and grackles. In addition to the USDA program,
a so-called depredation order from the US Fish and Wildlife Service allows blackbirds, grackles, and starlings to be killed by anyone who says they pose health risks or cause economic damage. Though a permit is needed in some instances, the order is largely intended to cut through red tape for farmers, who often employ private contractors to kill the birds and do not need to report their bird culls to any authority.
Im sure these birds are pests to farmers, and might pose a health risk if they gather near feedlots, but it seems like such an extreme measure.
Yes, it does. There was a huge controversy a few years ago about a plan to kill 2 million blackbirds in South Dakota. Imagine the irony; People feed birds because they like them and want them around. Yet, birds are killed to protect the birdseed from being eaten by birds.
http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandreports/birdca...
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"they all flew up into the nite sky and most settled right back down."
There's your answer. They flew into the sky. That's a whole lot different than flying into houses and buildings. While I can't prove what happened that dreadful night, I can speculate what likely happened.
if you where ever at the port in Mt Vernon. There is lots of structures Big grain silos 300 ft tall with augers & belts buildings of all kinds , A refinery , a ethonal plant factorys cranes big power lines, a ethonal plant ect. A thousand times more things for blackbirds to fly into than in Beebe Ark. Those Beebe dead birds where likely gassed while flying and became uncounsous and suffered the blunt trama from the fall to earth . Not the fall but the sudden stop. Could have been a earth fart( Methane) from the fracking in the region. maybe sprayed by a farmer or crop duster. Could of been somethin done by the goverment Jacksonville air base is nearby. Im confident it wasnt fireworks.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

<quoted text>
Human waste pollutes our waters and pose a health hazard. Should we kill humans in areas where they congregate too?
I can't believe there would be a dangerous amount of waste left behind from roosting blackbirds. They usually defecate shortly after eating. If they are sleeping all night, there isn't much digested food that can come out of them. The people there sound like they are either paranoid, or uneducated.
The local news station aired a story about a woman who lived near the bird roost in jonesboro ark. She became completely blind from histoplasmosis. othe folks became very sick. After that the fire dept sprayed the roost on a cold nite with mist of soapy water. The birds all got hypothermia and died.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

<quoted text>
You are far more likely to pick up a dangerous bug from someone behind you at the grocers than you are from walking underneath a bird roost.
tell you what. when you come visit Arkansas why dont you just go to one of those blackbird roost and tromp around and see if you enjoy breathing and are immune to the ammonia and dust? test your theory out! I think there is a legendary roost on the goverment (game & fish land near Lonoke Ark
Prosecuter

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Poor Birds

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> The local news station aired a story about a woman who lived near the bird roost in jonesboro ark. She became completely blind from histoplasmosis. othe folks became very sick. After that the fire dept sprayed the roost on a cold nite with mist of soapy water. The birds all got hypothermia and died.
About Histoplasmosis, the CDC says, "however, many people who inhale the spores do not get sick. The symptoms of histoplasmosis are similar to pneumonia"

This woman became blind? Sounds like a misdiagnosis to me.

"othe folks became very sick."
That's still no proof it's from birds. Lots of people here are sick now too. It's probably due to change in the weather. Or maybe the government sprayed something. Who knows?

Sounds like it was a justification to kill some birds because someone didn't want them around. Probably another case of the "good ole boy network" doing whatever they damn well please and getting away with it.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>tell you what. when you come visit Arkansas why dont you just go to one of those blackbird roost and tromp around and see if you enjoy breathing and are immune to the ammonia and dust? test your theory out! I think there is a legendary roost on the goverment (game & fish land near Lonoke Ark
People shouldn't have built their homes in the middle of a blackbird roost if they didn't want them around.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

<quoted text>
You're kidding, right? I just explained what happened a few posts ago. You come here and don't read any posts before responding? No, it has nothing to do with the government.
Its been a long time since I came here with this handle. Glad to know and thanks for the post.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

<quoted text>
People shouldn't have built their homes in the middle of a blackbird roost if they didn't want them around.
I think the thousands of blackbirds in migration are incredable and look forward to them every time this time of year.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Tooth4U wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the thousands of blackbirds in migration are incredable and look forward to them every time this time of year.
Me too! It was six years ago this week that a mind-boggling movement of blackbirds migrated above my Mom's house. I was there that morning and we watched in amazement as a large, wide stream of blackbirds made their way south. As far as the eye could see, birds filled the sky- appearing in the northern horizon, flying right over hers and the neighbors property, and then disappearing into the southern horizon. They just kept coming and coming and coming like a massive cloud. They did not even stop in the surrounding farm fields.

I watched in awe for about an hour before having to leave. Talking to my Mom later that night, she said the flock took all day to pass over. She talks about it to this day and hopes to see that again. We estimate it consisted of 15 million+ blackbirds.

That was an amazing spectacle of nature I will never forget. I am glad we still have the opportunity to witness events like that. It's sad that some people don't appreciate things like that.
Well what we need

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Is another frekin black bird.

killer.
vet

Heber Springs, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

I seem to read this 1000 bird story everyday. When are you going to give it a rest??????????
fifty1fifty

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

<quoted text>
You can catch aids from a toilet seat...if you sit down before the other person gets up?(: but I know a woman in J'Boogie that almost lost her eyesight from working the dirt in her garden, birdshit in the dirt, rub your eyes later. You start by losing your straight foward sight and it progresses if not stopped.
fifty1fifty

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

fifty1fifty wrote:
<quoted text>You can catch aids from a toilet seat...if you sit down before the other person gets up?(: but I know a woman in J'Boogie that almost lost her eyesight from working the dirt in her garden, birdshit in the dirt, rub your eyes later. You start by losing your straight foward sight and it progresses if not stopped.
ETFOOM, it is an airborne fungus, search Histoplasosis. Cryptococcosis even sounds like a killer?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

vet wrote:
I seem to read this 1000 bird story everyday. When are you going to give it a rest??????????
US give it a rest? You're the one who reads it everyday.
What we need

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

vet wrote:
When all the birds are gone.
Nosie Nellie

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Anyone stopped on the road at Summers, AR? Roadblock.....disease control.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 7,161 - 7,180 of9,785
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Little Rock Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Little Rock People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••