More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10206 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6854 Sep 4, 2012
Bird Watcher wrote:
<quoted text> Churm, That was rude ! Just because you do not care for bird watching you should not slam someone who does ! But thats what this forum is all about - different opinions . Are you the one who killed those 1,000 birds ?
Its lots of fun shooting blackbirds,coyotes. feral cats, roaming packs of dogs & crows ect.. I didnt have a thing to do with the birds at Beebe. So what if I was Rude. Rudeness isnt illegal! I dont post to be nice or politically correct. I dont post to try to get folks to like me or make friends. I post to present & defend my viewpoint and state why I justify my opinions & actions.
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6855 Sep 4, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
Birding big buisnes? shucks since we cleared all that land. it grows rice. and those flooded fields are money even with this years drought the rice crop provided billions of dollars in income and feed,s the world . that rice is one thing we export. And in the winter we do have folks that come to see migrating birds and they spend lots more money than looky loos who wanna see a pecker wood. We have the Duck & goose hunters. Look it up Stuttgart Ark is the rice & waterfall hunting capital of the world. It was a good thing clearing the bottoms and im proud to have done my part.
I had a small part in clearing the land in White and Prairie Counties (picking up chunks and root wads) in the 60's. The pay,$1.00/hour, was good at the time and better than chopping cotton but the dirty work sucked and was one of the reasons I joined the Army. Everything has its drawback, i.e. the damn mosquitoes in rice country. That's why I built my retirement home on a river in the hills.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6856 Sep 4, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Its lots of fun shooting blackbirds,coyotes. feral cats, roaming packs of dogs & crows ect.. I didnt have a thing to do with the birds at Beebe. So what if I was Rude. Rudeness isnt illegal! I dont post to be nice or politically correct. I dont post to try to get folks to like me or make friends. I post to present & defend my viewpoint and state why I justify my opinions & actions.
As a boy growing up I used to kill just to kill. I remember starting off with the old Daisy lever action BB gun. I took thousands of sparrows with that gun. Then I graduated up to a Remington 22 and me and a great buddy,(he had a scope on his Ruger and I had open sights,) we took thousands of rabbits, I was dead on with my gun and he was dead on with his but neither one of us was dead on using the others gun! LOL! Eventually I was taught how to hunt big game and birds with a rifle and shotgun. I became very skilled at it and still am to this day. Today I don't kill just to kill, I hunt and if you seen my place today with all of the bird feeders, houses and waterers and knew about all of the dogs and cats I have saved and found homes for you wouldn't think I even hunted. I have no regrets for anything I have done in the past but now I am making up for some of the short comings I once may of had. I still kill, I kill for food and I kill when my family or property is under attack. Killing is not easy for some but comes natural for others. Interesting.
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6857 Sep 4, 2012
^^^I don't believe I would brag about killing animals just for the hell of it, but maybe confession is good for the soul.
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6858 Sep 4, 2012
Churmudgion, you posted that hormone injected beef caused pot bellys. All this time I thought it was my light beer. Eat mor chiken?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6859 Sep 4, 2012
Old Army wrote:
^^^I don't believe I would brag about killing animals just for the hell of it, but maybe confession is good for the soul.
I am what I am. I am good at killing and always have been. It's not bragging if you can back it up and I can. You ever killed anything army?
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6860 Sep 4, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am what I am. I am good at killing and always have been. It's not bragging if you can back it up and I can. You ever killed anything army?
I wont fight and you can't make me, lol.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6861 Sep 4, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a small part in clearing the land in White and Prairie Counties (picking up chunks and root wads) in the 60's. The pay,$1.00/hour, was good at the time and better than chopping cotton but the dirty work sucked and was one of the reasons I joined the Army. Everything has its drawback, i.e. the damn mosquitoes in rice country. That's why I built my retirement home on a river in the hills.
The first bulldozer I Ran I got the same pay $1 per hour. When the goverment put on the minium wage and I got a raise to $1.60 per hour then $1.80. When I saved up enough I made a down payment on the D8 and really worked long hard hours for small pay. Eventually it was very profitable. But that $6500 for that old 2U D8 caterpillar was very hard to pay off. I still have it junked out, wore out ,Metal fatuged and obselete. Im gonna haul it off for scrap but its a hard decision its like a old friend. I cleared some land in White county near Bradford mostly worked in Lawrence Clay , Craighead & Greene Counties. The mosquitos where not a bad back then but there where enough.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6862 Sep 4, 2012
Old Army wrote:
Churmudgion, you posted that hormone injected beef caused pot bellys. All this time I thought it was my light beer. Eat mor chiken?
Go Back and read the post. I claimed the hormoned beef caused the children to mature early and have a pot gut, the 12 year old boys & girls with pot guts and breast dont drink near the amount of beer us old farts consume. When I ran that old D8 I kept a cooler of beer& Bologona on it Whenever the engine temp guage would get over in the edge of the red. I would pull over in the shade and drink a beer and eat maybe a sandwich. I drank at least a dozen beer in 12 hour day. I was 36 years old and had a small waist and rock hard abs. Thuck driving & old age gave me a pot gut. I never drank beer when driving a semi. The chicken is full of growht hormones too.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6863 Sep 4, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>As a boy growing up I used to kill just to kill. I remember starting off with the old Daisy lever action BB gun. I took thousands of sparrows with that gun. Then I graduated up to a Remington 22 and me and a great buddy,(he had a scope on his Ruger and I had open sights,) we took thousands of rabbits, I was dead on with my gun and he was dead on with his but neither one of us was dead on using the others gun! LOL! Eventually I was taught how to hunt big game and birds with a rifle and shotgun. I became very skilled at it and still am to this day. Today I don't kill just to kill, I hunt and if you seen my place today with all of the bird feeders, houses and waterers and knew about all of the dogs and cats I have saved and found homes for you wouldn't think I even hunted. I have no regrets for anything I have done in the past but now I am making up for some of the short comings I once may of had. I still kill, I kill for food and I kill when my family or property is under attack. Killing is not easy for some but comes natural for others. Interesting.
Some of Us are born killers and some humans are not. Different strokes for different folks.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6864 Sep 4, 2012
In the last hour I went out and watered all my critters & tomatos ect. Its 100 degrees and a heat index of 117 degrees. There is a big banana spider that spun a web in the garden .I was careful to not disturb her. Also there is a rock lizard that lives there. she was pregnant. now I see she is skinny and I saw one tiny little baby lizard. And I keep those large wooden snap traps (over size mouse traps) set in the garden under cardboard boxes. I had caught a good sized rat it was already bloated & stinking. I had my 22 handgun with me but didnt see anything that needed killin.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6866 Sep 4, 2012
Natural Light $18 a 30 pack at Lowes Grocery!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6869 Sep 4, 2012
harrycallihan wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you're gonna tell everyone here you can shoot a pheasant out of the air with an open sighted 22 riffle, Riffleman! Got some ocean front property in Arizona.?
I bet I could pull that old 22 out of the safe and do that today Mr. Harry! Don't ever doubt an expert hunter.....

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6870 Sep 4, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I bet I could pull that old 22 out of the safe and do that today Mr. Harry! Don't ever doubt an expert hunter.....
No sir, dont doubt you a bit. I'm damn sure staying out of your crosshairs X.......

Location hidden

#6871 Sep 4, 2012
Warrior,
I am not against hunting, but you and your fat buddy killing just to kill is so wrong.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6872 Sep 4, 2012
Truthslayers wrote:
<quoted text>
No sir, dont doubt you a bit. I'm damn sure staying out of your crosshairs X.......
Good to see you back truth slayer. I was under the impression that you were not going to post on here anymore! Welcome back!

Location hidden

#6873 Sep 4, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Good to see you back truth slayer. I was under the impression that you were not going to post on here anymore! Welcome back!
It was appalling to hear your admission of slaughtering thousands of birds for fun. I just couldn't be silent anymore.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6874 Sep 4, 2012
Truthslayers wrote:
Warrior,
I am not against hunting, but you and your fat buddy killing just to kill is so wrong.
FAT BUDDY! LMAO!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#6875 Sep 4, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
The ducks are attracted<quoted text> The ducks are attracted because we cleared the land. Those flooded rice fields are winter habitat food & water. The water is pumped drained ot before the rice harvest. Then its pumped back just to attract ducks. The ducks raise mostly in the dakotas & canada. the predators have been givin the nesting grounds some problems. the greese raise their young anyplace. many times the canada goose is a unwanted pest. I contrubute money to ducks unliited. the ivory bill is extinct and thats not a disaster. We can get along fine without it.
(IF) the Ivory bill is extinct, that is just another sad, pathetic chapter in our history. Rain must be God's tears for the destruction we have brought upon some of his beautiful creations.

Predators have found your ducks in the rice fields? They have? Really? You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Only someone living in a Disney Fantasyland would be upset about it.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6876 Sep 4, 2012
Truthslayers wrote:
<quoted text>
It was appalling to hear your admission of slaughtering thousands of birds for fun. I just couldn't be silent anymore.
Me and my FAT buddy may be a lot of things but one thing we are not is liars! We were kids and it was fun. I still hunt for the pleasure of it but I do not kill just to kill. I have made amends for it a thousand times over, I hope, and I am prepared to answer to my maker for all of my sins when the time comes!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Urgent Need For Info on Tod House/Tod Meuir 14 hr Respondent 6
News Little Rock man arrested in prescription fraud ... 20 hr guest 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Fri Agree 21,446
State Rep. Mary Bentley's husband arrested....a... Fri Joy 1
Not ONE PERSON left flowers @ 6th & Broadway!!! Feb 20 brain scan 4
UAMS or CHI Feb 20 Guest 1
News Lawmakers get sexual harassment training Feb 19 buba gump 2

Little Rock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Little Rock Mortgages