Arkansas Medical Marijuana Vote Nov. 6th

Aug 23, 2012 | Posted by: What- | Full story: www.therepublic.com

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Election officials on Wednesday approved placing a proposal to legalize medical marijuana on the November ballot, as supporters aimed to make Arkansas the first southern state to approve the drug for some conditions.

The secretary of state's office said Arkansans for Compassionate Care turned in enough signatures to qualify the proposed initiated act for the November ballot. The proposal needed at least 62,507 signatures from registered voters to qualify. The secretary of state's office said it had verified more than 69,000 signatures from the group.

The group fell short in the number of signatures needed last month, but it was given additional time to circulate petitions.

Seventeen states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana in some form, and backers said they hoped to make Arkansas the first southern state to approve the use of the drug for some medical conditions.

"I don't think Arkansans are any different from those other states," said Ryan Denham, the group's campaign director. "This campaign comes down to compassion. It's about never letting someone choose between suffering and breaking the law again. We're building up some momentum."

The proposal would allow Arkansans with qualifying conditions to purchase marijuana from nonprofit dispensaries with a doctor's recommendation. Qualifying conditions include cancer, glaucoma, HIV, AIDS and Alzheimer's disease. The proposal also would allow qualifying patients or a designated caregiver to grow marijuana if the patient lives more than five miles away from a dispensary.

The proposal acknowledges that marijuana is illegal under federal law.

No group has organized yet to campaign against the measure, but many of the state's top elected officials have said they're opposed to legalizing marijuana. The Arkansas Family Council, a conservative group, immediately said it was considering challenging the legality of the measure in court.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of201
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
nuts

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Notastoner wrote:
I just want all of this dirty Mexican weed to be expelled. Just imagine, cuts in drug cartel involvement through-out the marijuana business because it's legal for my neighbors to grow their own. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the violence happening in border states. If I can vote to decrease that in the slightest bit, then show me the ballot.
LOL! That is the best laugh I've had today.
Jack

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

Its Stupid to even think about letting this be legal. OMG the problems it will create. Lets go with Keep Arkansas trash camp. that's what it will reflect as!
Don

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

yes i will vote
hmm

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2012

Judged:

I will vote, but it will be no.
Biff Malibu

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text> Where did I say a employee couldn't use alcohol at home??People can use alcohol at home but they have to come in sober. People can use MJ at home but they can't come in with it their system. Very simple.
It can stay in a person's system for days, weeks, or months after use. Did you mean under the influence possibly? I agree with an employer not wanting employees to come to work under the inflence of whatever, but as long as it's done away from the job and is not impacting their work performance, it's none of their business.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

You can legalize it locally but when the Feds come a knocking you will go a running! LOL!

Corning, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

Vote NOPE for DOPE! You damn hippies.
Uhm

Alexander, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

I was in LA a few months ago, and they were shutting down marijuana dispensing operations there. They said some streets had some in every other building.

Why? Because of prescription abuse. Dopers were getting a script from a Dr. Feel good for a hang nail and buying a month's supply of weed.
POPO

Corning, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

It wont pass, the potheads are to stupid or burnt out to vote for it.
Dirtydoper

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

POPO wrote:
Well, as registered voters we've already amassed 69,000 signatures. What's to say we can't make our way to a voting booth?

Times are changing people, it's going to happen sooner or later. It's just a question of when.
Uhm

Alexander, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Uhm wrote:
I was in LA a few months ago, and they were shutting down marijuana dispensing operations there. They said some streets had some in every other building.
Why? Because of prescription abuse. Dopers were getting a script from a Dr. Feel good for a hang nail and buying a month's supply of weed.
And here is the link to an article about what happened with their compassionate care act in LA. From the LA times.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/27/157457847/l-a-c...
Compassionate Voter

North Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

Judged:

how wrote:
<quoted text>
how do I know where to go to vote? how do I register to vote?
There's only 16 days left to register to vote. You can become a registered voter (or update your address if you’ve moved) in Arkansas. It is a quick and simple process, so do it right now! The last day to register to vote in the State of Arkansas for the 2012 General Election is: October 7, 2012.

Check your voter registration status online by visiting: http://www.voterview.org/ .

For more information, check the Arkansas Secretary of State's web site: http://www.votenaturally.org/registration.htm...

Read the Arkansas Medical Marijuana Act here: http://arcompassion.com
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

I will vote at least 3 times against this garbage!

“GDPC 1937-2008”

Since: Aug 08

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
I will vote at least 3 times against this garbage!
Pretty sure you can't do that.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

Coxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty sure you can't do that.
I do in every election!
Biff Malibu

Jacksonville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

POPO wrote:
I'm not a hippie, I have advanced coleege degreees, and am a registered Republican and I'm voting for it.
Biff Malibu

Jacksonville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I do in every election!
Really? You know that is ilegal-right? No, wait, you probably don't.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

Biff Malibu wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You know that is ilegal-right? No, wait, you probably don't.
Yes I do but it's how my side wins! All of my family does it also. You can't stop us!
Liquid Death in a Bottle

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Remember boys and girls, the vote as others around the country, will be for MEDICAL use of MJ, not anytime /anywhere!
Yo ThomasA, I'm gonna vote yes, and there is nothing you can do about it..........BLAAHAHAhahaha!!

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

Please enlighten us as to how you accomplish this.
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I do but it's how my side wins! All of my family does it also. You can't stop us!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of201
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Little Rock Discussions

Search the Little Rock Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 50 min Truth 18,502
AR Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 hr age limit 28,746
AR Who do you support for Governor in Arkansas in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr Crazy 934
anyone lmow amanda ragsdale? 7 hr gonza 2
lookin to find some pot Sat Spirit67_ 5
Looking For Gangbang Girls (Nov '10) Jul 10 McBlake 21
allyson kelley anyone know anything about her a... (Sep '13) Jul 9 Tony Cooke 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Little Rock Jobs

•••