Claims prompt investigation of police...

Claims prompt investigation of police chief - Ft. Bragg Advocat...

There are 192 comments on the Fort Bragg Advocate-News story from Feb 18, 2010, titled Claims prompt investigation of police chief - Ft. Bragg Advocat.... In it, Fort Bragg Advocate-News reports that:

A complaint alleging that Fort Bragg's police chief misused his position triggered a City investigation that may result in disciplinary actions, though details will not be disclosed by officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fort Bragg Advocate-News.

law-upholder

El Cerrito, CA

#93 Feb 28, 2010
Mendo, all members of society have a right to access public information if it is readily available. But is it? News is News no matter where we are man! It does not matter where it is coming from because in reality, we are all effected and concerned by it in one way or another. That being said, everyone is allowed to speculate or make comments (i.e.) suggestions on the incidents that are recorded in the Media. However, it would be wise to misread the events portrayed in the media or to make false implications of events without properly knowing the entire story. Sadly, humanity has such a strong inherited tendency to judge their fellowman so harshly, all of this, despite the greatness of the man and his job well done. Let me offer my 2 cents as we sit here and speculate matters. Let's not overlook the more important things as we view the Mendocino County. The crime rate does not center on one man. Man is prone to err. As population increases in the cities, it begins to move out and drift into our areas and it is then that we begin to notice gangs, drug traffickers, and other felony charges coming closer to us. The Chief did not move them out here. Read upon our governments bill of foreign policy and other bills that passively got written off to allow our Nation to be corrupted the way that it is. You judge the Chief so quickly. I tell you this, the Fort Bragg PD does a great job overall in keeping the City of Fort Bragg in check. The Chief played a role in this. Oh, I guess you weren't paying attention to that huh? Walk down Main Street. Are things really bad?
We're in a Paradise compared to high crime areas.
again

Yerington, NV

#95 Feb 28, 2010
law-upholder wrote:
Mendo, all members of society have a right to access public information if it is readily available. But is it? News is News no matter where we are man! It does not matter where it is coming from because in reality, we are all effected and concerned by it in one way or another. That being said, everyone is allowed to speculate or make comments (i.e.) suggestions on the incidents that are recorded in the Media. However, it would be wise to misread the events portrayed in the media or to make false implications of events without properly knowing the entire story. Sadly, humanity has such a strong inherited tendency to judge their fellowman so harshly, all of this, despite the greatness of the man and his job well done. Let me offer my 2 cents as we sit here and speculate matters. Let's not overlook the more important things as we view the Mendocino County. The crime rate does not center on one man. Man is prone to err. As population increases in the cities, it begins to move out and drift into our areas and it is then that we begin to notice gangs, drug traffickers, and other felony charges coming closer to us. The Chief did not move them out here. Read upon our governments bill of foreign policy and other bills that passively got written off to allow our Nation to be corrupted the way that it is. You judge the Chief so quickly. I tell you this, the Fort Bragg PD does a great job overall in keeping the City of Fort Bragg in check. The Chief played a role in this. Oh, I guess you weren't paying attention to that huh? Walk down Main Street. Are things really bad?
We're in a Paradise compared to high crime areas.
SO OBVIOUS! Give yourself a big pat on the back Puthuff! Not kidding anyone with the Moraga location. Smoke and mirrors
Voice of Reason

United States

#96 Feb 28, 2010
"Law Upholder" from Moraga, I am confused by your posting. You begin by talking about our right to information and media reporting. Then you state,"However, it would be wise to misread the events portrayed in the media or to make false implications of events without properly knowing the entire story." That line makes no sense-how is it wise to misread the events? Then you speak of harsh judgement by humannity "despite the greatness of the man and his job well done." Who is this man with such greatness? Mark Puthuff? The man in whom the public had placed such trust, the man who publicly represented himself to be a role model to the citizens and youth of Ft. Bragg? A man who is supposed to have the highest degree of integrity and sense of right and wrong? The same man that has allegedly been involved in an extramarital affair while he was supposed to be serving the citizens of the city, who gave away city property and misused city owned equipment? The last part of your posting states, " I tell you this, the Fort Bragg PD does a great job overall in keeping the City of Fort Bragg in check." I hav heard little criticism of the Ft. Bragg Police Dept. itself, only of it's current leader. This isn't about crime rates in the city of Ft. Bragg, it is about the allegations of amorality and illegal activity by the Chief of Police there. Smoke and mirrors....smoke and mirrors....
Whos Freaky

Modesto, CA

#97 Feb 28, 2010
Voice of Reason wrote:
"Law Upholder" from Moraga, I am confused by your posting. You begin by talking about our right to information and media reporting. Then you state,"However, it would be wise to misread the events portrayed in the media or to make false implications of events without properly knowing the entire story." That line makes no sense-how is it wise to misread the events? Then you speak of harsh judgement by humannity "despite the greatness of the man and his job well done." Who is this man with such greatness? Mark Puthuff? The man in whom the public had placed such trust, the man who publicly represented himself to be a role model to the citizens and youth of Ft. Bragg? A man who is supposed to have the highest degree of integrity and sense of right and wrong? The same man that has allegedly been involved in an extramarital affair while he was supposed to be serving the citizens of the city, who gave away city property and misused city owned equipment? The last part of your posting states, " I tell you this, the Fort Bragg PD does a great job overall in keeping the City of Fort Bragg in check." I hav heard little criticism of the Ft. Bragg Police Dept. itself, only of it's current leader. This isn't about crime rates in the city of Ft. Bragg, it is about the allegations of amorality and illegal activity by the Chief of Police there. Smoke and mirrors....smoke and mirrors....
Let's just have a good chuckle at this post. Do he really think we are so stupid to fall for the same tired rhetoric? Damn man you are trying to hard. Aside from a nut or two no one is knocking the PD, the are knocking YOU. You are as fake as a 3 dollar bill. Let me see if I got this right, you fire people faster than you can hire them. You make it seem as you are a family man BUT You got busted cheating on your girlfriend with another woman who isn't your wife. You used your city car and phone to meet up with women on city time. Am I missing anythin?
Moraga, really? Is that where you are hanging out now?
Whos Freaky

Modesto, CA

#98 Feb 28, 2010
I think I messed up and replied to a reply. Sorry. But I hope soemone gets my point.

Man, how many people from the Modesto area really don't like Puthuff?

So many people believed in him and gave so much. Now we are just a bunch of fools!

Thanks man.
WOW

Yerington, NV

#99 Feb 28, 2010
from the archives wrote:
http://charlene.livejournal.co m/45158.html
Tigers dont change their spots. oh wait they have stripes, same difference.
This article is quite telling, don't overlook it!
Whos Freaky

Modesto, CA

#100 Feb 28, 2010
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
This article is quite telling, don't overlook it!
How'd this guy find the energy to get out of bed? Is he hooked on the little blue pill? I need to see my doctor.
part one

Yerington, NV

#101 Feb 28, 2010
Previous Entry | Next Entry

Look at the Story that Came Out in the Paper today!! OMG!!
Oct. 29th, 2005 at 9:10 PM

Deputy lawsuit names Puthuff
Ex-employee's amended complaint names county, sheriff's office, ex-wife

A lawsuit by a former deputy alleges that Mark Puthuff (photo deleted) created a hostile work environment.

By TIM MORAN
BEE STAFF WRITER

Last Updated: October 29, 2005, 06:07:12 AM PDT

Assistant Stanislaus County Sheriff Mark Puthuff has been named in a wrongful termination lawsuit by a former deputy.

In his lawsuit, Joseph Souza also names Stanislaus County; the Sheriff's Department; Jennifer Hudson, Souza's ex-wife; and several other unnamed defendants, identified as other public entities at 250 E. Hackett Road, and other sheriff's employees. The lawsuit was filed in June and amended earlier this month.

Souza contends Puthuff was involved in a romantic relationship with Hudson after she and Souza were divorced in August 2003. Hudson is a sergeant in the Sheriff's Department and is assigned to the jail division.

Souza also was assigned to the jail division. He and Hudson worked there together under Puthuff, who was put in charge of the division in July 2004. He remained in that position until he was named to oversee operations in January 2005.

Souza resigned in April. He is a real estate agent in Modesto. He declined comment.

The alleged relationship caused Puthuff, Hudson and others to harass Souza at work, creating a hostile work environment and forcing him to resign, Souza contends in the lawsuit.

Puthuff and Hudson deny a relationship took place, said Stanislaus County Counsel Michael Krausnick. Krausnick said he interviewed them during an internal investigation and is satisfied the allegations have no merit.

"We will vigorously oppose this matter," Krausnick said.

Puthuff took over the Sheriff's Department this summer after Sheriff Les Weidman took a job with Gov. Schwarzenegger's administration. Puthuff is the only candidate for sheriff in the June 2006 election.

Both Puthuff and attorney Matthew K. Hawkins, who represents all the defendants on behalf of the county, questioned the timing of the lawsuit in light of the election.

Nichole Edington, Souza's attorney, said Souza had six months to file a claim with Stanislaus County, and six months after that to file a civil lawsuit.

"We were right at the edge of both of those deadlines. We had no choice but to file when we did," she said.

Stanislaus County CEO Rick Robinson said the lawsuit involves a personnel matter, and he couldn't comment.

Krausnick said the county counsel's office is not defending those named in the suit because there is a pending, related workers compensation case involving Souza, and Krausnick's office doesn't handle workers compensation cases.

The county counsel's office decided not to defend the case in-house because staff members might be called as witnesses, Krausnick said.
part two

Yerington, NV

#102 Feb 28, 2010
The lawsuit includes claims that Souza was subject to false accusations of domestic violence and steroid abuse.

Hawkins said there was "no merit to anything in that complaint," though he declined to comment in detail.

"Basically, it's an employment personnel issue. When it's in litigation, it needs to run its course rather than get into a point-counterpoint in the press," he said.

Puthuff denied the allegations against him.

"It's a former employee who resigned. It's a personnel matter. There is no merit to the allegations, and I anticipate the county prevailing," he said.

"It's hard when you read these things about yourself," Puthuff added. "But anyone can file a lawsuit."

Hudson declined comment on the lawsuit Friday.

The lawsuit is in its preliminary stages. An amended complaint was filed Oct. 7, and no trial date has been set. A hearing on pleadings is scheduled for Nov. 18, and a case management meeting will be held in December, Edington said. The defense is asking for a fall 2006 trial date.

According to the lawsuit:

Souza was hired by the Sheriff's Department in 1998 and worked as a deputy in the jail. When his marriage to Hudson ended in August 2003, she began harassing and defaming him during duty hours in an attempt to get him fired. The harassment included accusations of domestic violence and steroid use.

A formal Sheriff's Department investigation into Souza's alleged steroid use was launched in the winter of 2003, and after he voluntarily submitted to a blood test, Souza was exonerated.

Souza filed a complaint with the county against his ex-wife in April 2004. After an internal investigation by the Sheriff's Department, she was fired in August 2004. Puthuff, who took over the jail division in July, intervened and Hudson was reinstated within weeks of her termination, and the harassment and defamation began again.

Puthuff participated in the harassment by physically intimidating Souza, by forcing Souza to sign a memorandum about his communication with his ex-wife and not allowing Souza to have union representation during meetings with Puthuff. Souza was denied shift preference he was entitled to by seniority.

The lawsuit asks for an unspecified amount of money for general dam-ages; past, present and future lost wages and benefits; Souza's expenses in seeking another job; interest; and the costs of the lawsuit.

"This is California and the United States in the 21st century," Hawkins said. "You can sue anybody for anything and allege anything you want."

----------

Something similar happened to me there in 2002! Puthuff is just as corrupt as the rest of the bozos that did me in there!!
part three

Yerington, NV

#103 Feb 28, 2010
what was puthuffs marital status at the time?
JIzarelli

Modesto, CA

#104 Mar 1, 2010
part three wrote:
what was puthuffs marital status at the time?
Answer to your previous post, Just married was the status. What happened in 2002? I'm not an expert, but duh - is there a pattern here?

I read thru many posts, people ask a lot of questions. Many have gone unanswered. Are people afraid to post her? If so, why?
JMO

Boulder Creek, CA

#105 Mar 1, 2010
JIzarelli wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer to your previous post, Just married was the status. What happened in 2002? I'm not an expert, but duh - is there a pattern here?
I read thru many posts, people ask a lot of questions. Many have gone unanswered. Are people afraid to post her? If so, why?
So hes taken #3 down this road before? Stupid question. How does he talk his way out of it? Do you think #3 is as aware of the pattern as everyone else? He must have a running tab at the STD clinic. Please enlighten us with what you know.
Greg

Locust Grove, VA

#107 Mar 3, 2010
Voice of Reason wrote:
Hey Voice of reason.....(AKA MARK PUTHUFF) take it like a man dude, admit you have done wrong. Retire to Idaho or somewhere like that.
Voice of Reason

United States

#108 Mar 3, 2010
Greg from Post Falls, Idaho

You really need to reread my posts-they are certainly not in support of Mark Puthuff. In fact, I am deeply disappointed in the man if the allegations against him are true and most if not all certainly appear to be given the news. Reread my posts and you'll see where I am coming from and it most certainly is NOT from Mr. Puthuffs corner!!!
Greg

Locust Grove, VA

#109 Mar 3, 2010
Voice of Reason wrote:
Greg from Post Falls, Idaho
You really need to reread my posts-they are certainly not in support of Mark Puthuff. In fact, I am deeply disappointed in the man if the allegations against him are true and most if not all certainly appear to be given the news. Reread my posts and you'll see where I am coming from and it most certainly is NOT from Mr. Puthuffs corner!!!
My apologies man, but I have to say that when I lived in fort bragg until late early 2009 I saw NO reduction in crime, INFACT I became the "victim" of two petty crimes, and all I noted was that the FB police cars were repainted.
Voice of Reason

United States

#110 Mar 3, 2010
Again, my comments are directed toward the behavior of the department chief and not the crime rate in the city of Ft. Bragg.
so so

Hayward, CA

#111 Mar 3, 2010
Food for Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard if he leaves, most of the department members will follow. Who's going to spend all the money to recruit new positions for the dept? I heard he changed the police department from night to day with all the improvements he made. It appears the police department has been running smoothly and much better then under the prior chief. I've noticed around my neighborhood, crime has significantly decreased. I think the city will spend more money on trying to find replacements for everyone who leaves and follows him to the next department. Who will then protect our streets if he leaves? I remember when FB had two shootings and crime was high. I'm worried, if the city gives him the boot then we will have no police officers to protect our streets. Hope there is a back up plan.
What part of Fort Bragg are you in? I went to the movies the other night, two houses down from the show a bunch of gang bangers had shot up a house, then further down towards Safeway, there were about 20 more. How about the car getting torched a year or so ago up on Oak st. The rapes stabbings etc. in the past 6 mo. I don't think things are getting better. I have lived here my entire life and it is getting much worse. ICE needs to come in and deport. There is graffiti, trash and drugs all over. Read the arrest logs, the police logs, rip offs, gangs, rapes, assaults. Wake up, we are heading down hill. Luckily we have a few good cops, but whatever their doing, isn't working.
Whatyagonnado

Modesto, CA

#112 Mar 3, 2010
Where is the Chief? He has been on the hot seat dating all of the way back to October.Is he still the active head of the FBPD or is he gone, on paid leave while he shops for a better position ?
Someone needs to answer up.
kathy

Locust Grove, VA

#113 Mar 4, 2010
so so wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of Fort Bragg are you in? I went to the movies the other night, two houses down from the show a bunch of gang bangers had shot up a house, then further down towards Safeway, there were about 20 more. How about the car getting torched a year or so ago up on Oak st. The rapes stabbings etc. in the past 6 mo. I don't think things are getting better. I have lived here my entire life and it is getting much worse. ICE needs to come in and deport. There is graffiti, trash and drugs all over. Read the arrest logs, the police logs, rip offs, gangs, rapes, assaults. Wake up, we are heading down hill. Luckily we have a few good cops, but whatever their doing, isn't working.
I agree FB is going down the toilet........Rape and theft are increasing. Petty theft and vandalism as well.
humdinger

Berkeley, CA

#114 Mar 4, 2010
kathy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree FB is going down the toilet........Rape and theft are increasing. Petty theft and vandalism as well.
rape, theft, shootings, all par for the course in fb now. not the fault of the po-po though, the fault of people who make excuses for criminals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oakland museum's marijuana exhibit: Scholarly, ... Jun 16 Fred 1
must be at least "40" and acts like 14 year old Jun 9 Ashlee 2
Clear Water Ranch (Feb '09) May '16 Rosalie Moore 178
News Willits woman found guilty in $500,000 embezzle... May '16 nick 2
News Mayfield up for parole for 1985 murder (Mar '09) May '16 CORRUPT mendocino 972
News A subdued 32nd Redwood Run (Jun '09) May '16 anonymous 17
News Abalone diver drowns off Little River coast (Oct '10) Feb '15 the Fear tator 56
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Little River Mortgages