How To beat Peters In The Next Election

Posted in the Little Falls Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
People of Little Falls

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Sep 7, 2012
Let' start planning and see what we come up with.
Yovn Duhamel

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Sep 7, 2012
People of Little Falls wrote:
Let' start planning and see what we come up with.
Have Rob Richard run as a republican and nobody run agaist Peters in the primary like last time and we will see who will win.
yeah

United States

#3 Sep 7, 2012
"We"? Come on. State your name and qualifications. Give us the platform your running on and start the process that would make you the next mayor of this this great little city. I really need to know your name so I make sure I'm voting for the correct person.
Betty Beaver

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Sep 7, 2012
yeah wrote:
"We"? Come on. State your name and qualifications. Give us the platform your running on and start the process that would make you the next mayor of this this great little city. I really need to know your name so I make sure I'm voting for the correct person.
You need a little salt Peter in your food.
yeah

Weehawken, NJ

#5 Sep 7, 2012
Betty Beaver wrote:
<quoted text> You need a little salt Peter in your food.
sounds like you have already had yours.
Quacker

Little Falls, NY

#6 Sep 7, 2012
yeah wrote:
Oh you need that stuff to run?"It" just wants to start trouble on here for Peters.Same goof in all posts.Don't worry about Peters though,I hear he is not going to run next time.This way you may all get your chance to put up or shut up!

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Since: Jan 08

Indian Trail, NC

#7 Sep 8, 2012
How about the MSF 'principles'.
Seems like a reasonable starting point.

http://www.mainstreetfirstny.com/indexprincip...
People of Little Falls

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Sep 8, 2012
Quacker wrote:
<quoted text>Oh you need that stuff to run?"It" just wants to start trouble on here for Peters.Same goof in all posts.Don't worry about Peters though,I hear he is not going to run next time.This way you may all get your chance to put up or shut up!
The reason for these post is to awake the people of Little Falls we need a change and grow think outside box these post are not to hurt anybody.
Jean Linen

Herkimer, NY

#9 Sep 8, 2012
Peters is the perfect Mayor for this little hole of a City. He represents perfectly what this place seems to be about.
Jean Linen

Herkimer, NY

#10 Sep 8, 2012
UTLT wrote:
How about the MSF 'principles'.
Seems like a reasonable starting point.
http://www.mainstreetfirstny.com/indexprincip...
Just my opinion, but the MSF principles are nothing as a starting point. Not because the principles themselves aren't good ones, they are, but because of MSF policy not to endorse candidates.

A candidate, then, who accepts these principles and develops a platform based upon them will automatically be the very bad position of being thought of as the "MSF candidate," but they will not have the support and backing of MSF. What good is running on a set of principles if they very folks who wrote those principles won't support you?

What's doubly unfortunate is that this policy of non-partisanship on the part of MSF effectively operates to remove their own principles from the public discourse. It sets those principles back, rather than advancing them. What good are civic principles when the people who promulgate them are unwilling to advocate for them in the political realm?
My Two Cents

Herkimer, NY

#11 Sep 8, 2012
Jean Linen wrote:
<quoted text>
Just my opinion, but the MSF principles are nothing as a starting point. Not because the principles themselves aren't good ones, they are, but because of MSF policy not to endorse candidates.
A candidate, then, who accepts these principles and develops a platform based upon them will automatically be the very bad position of being thought of as the "MSF candidate," but they will not have the support and backing of MSF. What good is running on a set of principles if they very folks who wrote those principles won't support you?
What's doubly unfortunate is that this policy of non-partisanship on the part of MSF effectively operates to remove their own principles from the public discourse. It sets those principles back, rather than advancing them. What good are civic principles when the people who promulgate them are unwilling to advocate for them in the political realm?
Last election, I remember thinking that it was cowardly of MSF not to endorse the candidate that they spawned. I really detest cowardice, so I talked to several MSFers about it. I got different answers from different people, but what I heard convinced me that it is not so simple as you made it sound then, and again now.

Perhaps many of the MSFers did not want their club to become political? Maybe they wanted to focus on being a normal non-profit do-gooder group and didn't want to wreck the train by endorsing a candidate? Perhaps some MSFers were angry at Margie and her friends for rushing in and hijacking the MSF principles or whatever you call them, because she was a nonviable candidate? Perhaps some of the MSFers really wanted a different MSFer to run? Perhaps some of the MSFers simply detested Margie?

The bottom line is that all the talk of endorsement was smoke and mirrors, and it came from YOU, here on Topix. Maybe you also talked about it at your MSF meetings, but I get the impression that it was really YOU trying to paint MSF into a corner that they did not want to be in. Apparently you lost that fight. Anyway, I always thought your group was too factious and divided to unite behind a single candidate. That's like asking a leopard to change its spots.

Here is a question for you: is MSF a 501-c-3 group? If thy are, your protests are moot, since that kind of group cannot endorse candidates.

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Indian Trail, NC

#12 Sep 8, 2012
The principles appear to be a smart starting point.
Regardless of MSF or their non-endorsements.

Or..
are you suggesting that MSF is so toxic...
that to simply agree with anything on the list...
marks you as a phony good-for-nothing shill?

I disagree with the term limits... completely.

The question is...
What political positions might beat Peters?
My Two Cents

Herkimer, NY

#13 Sep 8, 2012
UTLT wrote:
The question is...
That is NOT how local politics works, especially in Little Falls. The only issues that matter under normal circumstances are patronage, friendships, and charisma. Once in a while, if confronted with a thorny crisis, we might elect somebody with some smarts to solve it.

Bob beat Roger twice because he looks dapper in that camel-hair jacket, and Roger always looks like a caricature of a bad auto mechanic.

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Indian Trail, NC

#14 Sep 8, 2012
If your read of the local situation is correct...
and considering the commonly held beliefs about current and past leaders...
isn't it possible that patronage, friendship and charisma are the wrong things to judge a future leader.

Perhaps their goals and beliefs should have been more important.

What do you think about term limits?
My Two Cents

Herkimer, NY

#15 Sep 8, 2012
UTLT wrote:
If your read of the local situation is correct...
and considering the commonly held beliefs about current and past leaders...
isn't it possible that patronage, friendship and charisma are the wrong things to judge a future leader.
Perhaps their goals and beliefs should have been more important.
What do you think about term limits?
No, because goals and beliefs are merely campaign promises, and all campaign promises are empty promises. It is better to elect someone RELIABLE to manage the city. We do not have a direct democracy, and instead we elect agents, and with that trust and reliability are critical

As for term limits for municipal offices, I have no opinion one way or the other. Sorry. At best, term limits are like a jubilee or like estate taxes: they force a redistribution of power and wealth every so often. At worse, they prevent qualified people from making a career of public office.
Jean Linen

Herkimer, NY

#16 Sep 8, 2012
My Two Cents wrote:
<quoted text>
Last election, I remember thinking that it was cowardly of MSF not to endorse the candidate that they spawned. I really detest cowardice, so I talked to several MSFers about it. I got different answers from different people, but what I heard convinced me that it is not so simple as you made it sound then, and again now.
Perhaps many of the MSFers did not want their club to become political? Maybe they wanted to focus on being a normal non-profit do-gooder group and didn't want to wreck the train by endorsing a candidate? Perhaps some MSFers were angry at Margie and her friends for rushing in and hijacking the MSF principles or whatever you call them, because she was a nonviable candidate? Perhaps some of the MSFers really wanted a different MSFer to run? Perhaps some of the MSFers simply detested Margie?
The bottom line is that all the talk of endorsement was smoke and mirrors, and it came from YOU, here on Topix. Maybe you also talked about it at your MSF meetings, but I get the impression that it was really YOU trying to paint MSF into a corner that they did not want to be in. Apparently you lost that fight. Anyway, I always thought your group was too factious and divided to unite behind a single candidate. That's like asking a leopard to change its spots.
Here is a question for you: is MSF a 501-c-3 group? If thy are, your protests are moot, since that kind of group cannot endorse candidates.
As far as MSF being a 501-c-3 group, I wouldn't know. I certainly hope not. Their principles...planning, smart growth, open government, are, for better or worse, INHERENTLY political in nature. Political principles without political action is, well, NOTHING.
By the way, I'm not protesting anything. Just pointing out, once again, that regardless of the reasons why the MSF principles are a non-starter politically. Not even the politicians who support them will get supported...so what?
Drew Pickles

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Sep 8, 2012
There were to many people running in the primary .what we need is just 2 people running and may the best person win.
Jean Linen

Herkimer, NY

#18 Sep 8, 2012
UTLT wrote:
The principles appear to be a smart starting point.
Regardless of MSF or their non-endorsements.
Or..
are you suggesting that MSF is so toxic...
that to simply agree with anything on the list...
marks you as a phony good-for-nothing shill?
I disagree with the term limits... completely.
The question is...
I'm certainly not saying MSF is toxic..far from that..I'm just saying that if you expect civic leaders and candidates to adopt your ideas, that those leaders and candidates have an expectation of your political support in return. And if you aren't willing to support a candidate, then no candidate is going to pay much attention to your "principles," to the extent you can call them such. That's just the way of the world.
jack hole

Brimfield, MA

#19 Sep 8, 2012
You loosers ought to die.Peters is a good mayor he will win
Jean Linen

Herkimer, NY

#20 Sep 8, 2012
jack hole wrote:
You loosers ought to die.Peters is a good mayor he will win
Jesus. I admit that Peters is the perfect Mayor for this City; and in return I get a death wish from a Peters supporter. Wow. And I thought MSF was bad?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Piccolo Cafe NIGHTMARE 3 hr Malcolm MacWallace 2
Dangerous garage by bike trail 3 hr Right 15
hillary 7 hr LFGaloot 5
Does ne 1 know Monica Knapp (Jun '10) 8 hr Wth 8
New pig in town.... 14 hr herman 3
Palumbo arrested. (Oct '13) 15 hr LF Resident 36
Scott Olson Sun LF Resident 9
More from around the web

Little Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE