Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

I have never posted on here before, but reading the paper tonight felt I had to. I have worked construction my whole life no equipment " pays for itself " as our mayor stated. A vactor is only used to dig around a leak or a repair after the hoe operator removes the top layers. The only advantage for the city is none of the mayors former work buddies have to shovel when you get close to the piping. A quarter of a million is a ton of money just so your pals don't have to dig. I am retired now, but I have never been with a company that owned a vactor. They are to expensive, how can the city afford one, a lot cheaper to put a man in the whole and let him shovel. I am on a fixed income and would rather see you hire a laborer.

Since: Jan 10

ishmael.org

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

The Link.
http://www.littlefallstimes.com/news/x4704108...

*It does sounds like we need one. Shovels don't work well in a hole full of water.

But, why doesn't the County have a barn full of important but rarely needed equipment that communities can borrow when required? People are always talking about consolidating schools and fire departments. Not bad ideas. But important advantages can be had by making it easier for community DPW's to share/trade equipment. Maybe the DPW's need to be consolidated county-wide.

And WTH is a "Lighting Committee"? Isn't there anyone down there that can -by their self- determine the need for a light?
I R Serious

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Jonah wrote:
I have never posted on here before, but reading the paper tonight felt I had to. I have worked construction my whole life no equipment " pays for itself " as our mayor stated. A vactor is only used to dig around a leak or a repair after the hoe operator removes the top layers. The only advantage for the city is none of the mayors former work buddies have to shovel when you get close to the piping. A quarter of a million is a ton of money just so your pals don't have to dig. I am retired now, but I have never been with a company that owned a vactor. They are to expensive, how can the city afford one, a lot cheaper to put a man in the whole and let him shovel. I am on a fixed income and would rather see you hire a laborer.
its also used to unplug plugged sewers.and there are many other uses besides water leaks.
Whale

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

I agree I don't ever remember seeing them cleaning a sewer with it. Sounds like Booby sucking up to his butt boys. Another pick up, really ? That makes one for each guy to drive right ? Didn't they buy five a couple years ago, I call bullshit!!!
lfman

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

We have used a Vactor for many years. It is a very useful tool. I know that it will never pay for itself but it is effective in a water main break. the City crew has requested a new one since 2010, with a resale cost of the old one at 75,000. It is in bad shape , constantly needing repair at high cost. starting at 250k minus 50k for the sale of the old vactor. Leaves 175k. 100k from the sewer fund which can only be used for equipment, and the sewer dept will use it the most. that leaves 75k balence between the water dept and the DPW. I'd say it looks pretty doable.
Maybe

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

"And WTH is a "Lighting Committee"? Isn't there anyone down there that can -by their self- determine the need for a light?"

The poles are own by NG not the city.
They are following the process to see if there is a need for another pole from NG.Many would like a street light by their home but they don't come cheap.
Mayor McTruck

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

lshmaeI wrote:
But, why doesn't the County have a barn full of important but rarely needed equipment that communities can borrow when required?
Are you serious? More trucks? A city of less than 5000 people CANNOT afford such an expensive piece of equipment. The math is really simple. The Council needs to tell the mayor "NO WAY". We are on the verge of growing broke, and the mayor wants a new vactator?
mayhem

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

Mayor McTruck wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? More trucks? A city of less than 5000 people CANNOT afford such an expensive piece of equipment. The math is really simple. The Council needs to tell the mayor "NO WAY". We are on the verge of growing broke, and the mayor wants a new vactator?
Once he goes after all the nonprofits, we will be flush with cash!
Wondering

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

lfman wrote:
We have used a Vactor for many years. It is a very useful tool. I know that it will never pay for itself but it is effective in a water main break. the City crew has requested a new one since 2010, with a resale cost of the old one at 75,000. It is in bad shape , constantly needing repair at high cost. starting at 250k minus 50k for the sale of the old vactor. Leaves 175k. 100k from the sewer fund which can only be used for equipment, and the sewer dept will use it the most. that leaves 75k balence between the water dept and the DPW. I'd say it looks pretty doable.
How often is it used and can the city rent one when needed?
Can the sewer fund purchase it and the city borrow when needed?
Whale

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

Very useful is not a good enough reason, I still agree with Jonah, use a pump and a shovel. Is this the reason Booby raised our sewer and water 30 % a couple years ago so we can buy another vactor to pay for itself. Bunch of crap!!
What

Auburn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

WTF is REALLY so wrong with the old vactor?
Belts? Tires? Impeller? What????
This stuff doesn't wear out easily.
Local farmers are still running tractors from the 50's.
Probably just needs some wax.
WHO MAINTAINS IT?(wash/grease)
How many miles on it?
How many hours?
How old is it?
Worse

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

Mayor McTruck wrote:
<quoted text>
We are only 2,300 households. We just can't afford all this money the mayor is trying to spend. And I agree with the original poster that expensive trucks don't "pay for themselves". That sounds like part of the sales pitch the truck salesman gave Bobby. The Common Council needs to reign in this out-of-control mayor before he bankrupts our city.
golf sucks

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

sell the golf course, they could get around a million for it. and you would'nt have to pay all that overtime up there.
Mayor McDuh

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

mayhem wrote:
<quoted text>
Once he goes after all the nonprofits, we will be flush with cash!
"How in the hell am I going to flush all of this here city's money down the terlit if'n my sewers ain't vacuumerated"?
Mayor McDuh

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

"Sullivan my boy, stick with me and I'll get ya a bran' new vacuumereator made by Kirby and a shiny 4-weedler to check my sewers wid. Omma gonna get ol' Toenail Pakoessick a shiny new Jeepster and Phyliss Greens is a gonna have a brand spankin' new whistle fer blowin' on all o' them thar coed violaters and my personel secretary's getting her own hip flask fer some o' that hooch she lkes pourin' down at the ol' Ratskellar by golly!!
Stick wid me boys."
lfman

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

This issue is just like many others we face, when one of you need the service provided that you want to cut, like the vactor or fire service or ambulance service you will be the first to scream from the highest mountain.
Of you on here who has parents in town or have families of your own, is water service breaks down do you want to wait for service.
Who among you has dug out a water service with a shovel while the water rushes in the hole? Really you want to do that? there is plenty to take a hard look at in the budget. Like the thousands spent on Veterans Park. The city money wasted on Urban Renewal grants denied. Many thousands there.
If we want to change spending than we have to put another mayor in or a totally different council.
I have a family, if my loved one needs an ambulance I sure want that ambulance to work.
wow

Natick, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

Mayor McDuh wrote:
"Sullivan my boy, stick with me and I'll get ya a bran' new vacuumereator made by Kirby and a shiny 4-weedler to check my sewers wid. Omma gonna get ol' Toenail Pakoessick a shiny new Jeepster and Phyliss Greens is a gonna have a brand spankin' new whistle fer blowin' on all o' them thar coed violaters and my personel secretary's getting her own hip flask fer some o' that hooch she lkes pourin' down at the ol' Ratskellar by golly!!
Stick wid me boys."
Now that's funny. Everybody should step back and just have a good laugh. thanks.
please explain

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

"The city money wasted on Urban Renewal grants denied. Many thousands there"

What money came from the city budget?
Wally

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Urban renewal that's a whole different kind of pipe sucker, best believe we won't let that one go.
Just Remember

Little Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Judged:

The Mayor is a liar and you can't believe anything he says....especially if it's in the paper.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Little Falls Forum right now

Search the Little Falls Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Police at Little Falls Fuel 1 hr Freeze 8
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 2 hr Wake up 16,770
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Wake up 6,333
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 7 hr MacDaddyobama 6,354
Copper Moose Ale House 9 hr Dave B 223
LF vs. Detroit 10 hr Prince V 27
cynics drop dead 17 hr Cynical in Upstate 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

Little Falls Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••