LF City Assessor Bans Fish Fry

Posted in the Little Falls Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
End the Hypocrisy

Herkimer, NY

#1 Oct 19, 2012
By now, we all know that the Little Falls City Assessor went after the YMCA and took away the Co-Op's tax exemption. Why? Apparently, according to an apparent insider's comments on Topix, she objected to alleged business-like activities, such the private karate lessons.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. The Decarlo Staffo Post seems to own a totally tax-exempt property: visit http://www.taxlookup.net/record.aspx... and click on "Show Property Details" to see the N/P- exemption of $69,850. Yet we all know that the Post has a regular business relationship with private contractors to run for-profit fish fries and other catering activities out of the post.

Mayor Peters, why have you savagely attacked the YMCA, and yet turned a blind eye toward the SAME SORT OF ACTIVITY at the Post? If you are going to tax the YMCA, you need to tax the Decarlo Staffo as well. Or better yet, end this insanity and leave ALL the non-profits alone!

Mayor Peters, we call on you to END THE HYPOCRISY! We call on you to stop harassing the YMCA! We call on you to stop the arbitrary, uneven and unfair actions of the City Assessor against certain non-profits who have offended a handful of private citizens, while ignoring the actions of the many non-profits who are doing EXACTLY the same sorts of things for the community that got the YMCA into trouble with the Assessor and her friends!

Most of all, Mayor Peters, WE DEMAND AN ANSWER! Stop hiding behind Joy's skirts, and explain how it happened that City Hall decided to single out ONE non-profit for taxation!

Explain to us why you are trying to close the Co-Op and the Community Housing programs of the YMCA!
Just stop fer Crizsake

Little Falls, NY

#2 Oct 19, 2012
End the Hypocrisy wrote:
By now, we all know that the Little Falls City Assessor went after the YMCA and took away the Co-Op's tax exemption. Why? Apparently, according to an apparent insider's comments on Topix, she objected to alleged business-like activities, such the private karate lessons.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander. The Decarlo Staffo Post seems to own a totally tax-exempt property: visit http://www.taxlookup.net/record.aspx... and click on "Show Property Details" to see the N/P- exemption of $69,850. Yet we all know that the Post has a regular business relationship with private contractors to run for-profit fish fries and other catering activities out of the post.
Mayor Peters, why have you savagely attacked the YMCA, and yet turned a blind eye toward the SAME SORT OF ACTIVITY at the Post? If you are going to tax the YMCA, you need to tax the Decarlo Staffo as well. Or better yet, end this insanity and leave ALL the non-profits alone!
Mayor Peters, we call on you to END THE HYPOCRISY! We call on you to stop harassing the YMCA! We call on you to stop the arbitrary, uneven and unfair actions of the City Assessor against certain non-profits who have offended a handful of private citizens, while ignoring the actions of the many non-profits who are doing EXACTLY the same sorts of things for the community that got the YMCA into trouble with the Assessor and her friends!
Most of all, Mayor Peters, WE DEMAND AN ANSWER! Stop hiding behind Joy's skirts, and explain how it happened that City Hall decided to single out ONE non-profit for taxation!
Explain to us why you are trying to close the Co-Op and the Community Housing programs of the YMCA!
Better yet, RESIGN BOOB!!!!!
We don't like you!!
Your citizenry
Yup

Herkimer, NY

#3 Oct 19, 2012
End the Hypocrisy wrote:
By now, we all know that the Little Falls City Assessor went after the YMCA and took away the Co-Op's tax exemption. Why? Apparently, according to an apparent insider's comments on Topix, she objected to alleged business-like activities, such the private karate lessons.
What is good for the goose is good for the gander. The Decarlo Staffo Post seems to own a totally tax-exempt property: visit http://www.taxlookup.net/record.aspx... and click on "Show Property Details" to see the N/P- exemption of $69,850. Yet we all know that the Post has a regular business relationship with private contractors to run for-profit fish fries and other catering activities out of the post.
Mayor Peters, why have you savagely attacked the YMCA, and yet turned a blind eye toward the SAME SORT OF ACTIVITY at the Post? If you are going to tax the YMCA, you need to tax the Decarlo Staffo as well. Or better yet, end this insanity and leave ALL the non-profits alone!
Mayor Peters, we call on you to END THE HYPOCRISY! We call on you to stop harassing the YMCA! We call on you to stop the arbitrary, uneven and unfair actions of the City Assessor against certain non-profits who have offended a handful of private citizens, while ignoring the actions of the many non-profits who are doing EXACTLY the same sorts of things for the community that got the YMCA into trouble with the Assessor and her friends!
Most of all, Mayor Peters, WE DEMAND AN ANSWER! Stop hiding behind Joy's skirts, and explain how it happened that City Hall decided to single out ONE non-profit for taxation!
Explain to us why you are trying to close the Co-Op and the Community Housing programs of the YMCA!
The American Legion is also tax exempt, for all FIVE of the properties they own. Look at http://www.taxlookup.net/search.aspx... on that tax assessor web site.
just saying

Herkimer, NY

#4 Oct 19, 2012
End the Hypocrisy wrote:
Mayor Peters, why have you savagely attacked the YMCA, and yet turned a blind eye toward the SAME SORT OF ACTIVITY at the Post? If you are going to tax the YMCA, you need to tax the Decarlo Staffo as well. Or better yet, end this insanity and leave ALL the non-profits alone!
!
It'll never happen. Tony D got on the wrong side of a few influential people with connections at city hall, that's why the Y got nailed so bad. But the Vets all but own Bobby. He will never ever let Joy go after them even though they let a private restaurant operate out of their building.
YouAreRight

Herkimer, NY

#5 Oct 19, 2012
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
It'll never happen. Tony D got on the wrong side of a few influential people with connections at city hall, that's why the Y got nailed so bad. But the Vets all but own Bobby. He will never ever let Joy go after them even though they let a private restaurant operate out of their building.
Sad that LF politics is about who you know, and not about the law. Sad that city policy is about petty revenge, not what is best for everyone in town.
true dat

Herkimer, NY

#6 Oct 19, 2012
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
It'll never happen. Tony D got on the wrong side of a few influential people with connections at city hall, that's why the Y got nailed so bad. But the Vets all but own Bobby. He will never ever let Joy go after them even though they let a private restaurant operate out of their building.
Yep. I am waiting to see if Peters makes the Post start paying taxes for renting out the food concession. If he doesn't he is the biggest hypocrite in Herkimer County.
so wrong

Herkimer, NY

#7 Oct 20, 2012
This is all so wrong in so many ways. Now we have a scandal over the tax assessor? It is like Peters has created another Asbestos Mountain out of a property tax molehill. Look, this is real basic, it you are going to create a new interpretation of the law, you have to apply it uniformly to everybody equally, and not have one version for people city hall is mad at and one version for friends of city hall. That YMCA lawyer is going to destroy city hall in court. When is that trial again?
Jean Linen

Herkimer, NY

#8 Oct 20, 2012
so wrong wrote:
This is all so wrong in so many ways. Now we have a scandal over the tax assessor? It is like Peters has created another Asbestos Mountain out of a property tax molehill. Look, this is real basic, it you are going to create a new interpretation of the law, you have to apply it uniformly to everybody equally, and not have one version for people city hall is mad at and one version for friends of city hall. That YMCA lawyer is going to destroy city hall in court. When is that trial again?
But the real question is whether it is reasonable to have one law for folks who house child molesters and wanted criminals, and another law for those who sell fried fish on Fridays?
Leona Helmsley

Herkimer, NY

#9 Oct 20, 2012
true dat wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. I am waiting to see if Peters makes the Post start paying taxes for renting out the food concession. If he doesn't he is the biggest hypocrite in Herkimer County.
We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.

Let me see if I understand this:

1.) A new tax exemption is given to two of Bob's friends?

2.) The city completely ignores a for-profit restaurant business run out of a veterans hall, and lets the vets keep their exemption?

3.) The YMCA loses its tax exemption on the Co Op because a karate studio uses the basement one night a week?

4.) The YMCA loses its tax exemption on Community Housing because several of Bob's friends don't like the residents?

What is wrong with this picture, people?

And are we supposed to act surprised that the YMCA sued the city government?

Does our city government even pretend to be competent and fair?
Just Guessing

Herkimer, NY

#10 Oct 20, 2012
Jean Linen wrote:
<quoted text>
But the real question is whether it is reasonable to have one law for folks who house child molesters and wanted criminals, and another law for those who sell fried fish on Fridays?
I am just guessing here, but I doubt the expensive lawyer hired by the City will try that argument out on the judge.

But your point is interesting. I have heard from many people now that the private citizens who pressured the city into attacking the YMCA tax exemptions were essentially arguing the same thing: if the Codes Officer and the Chief of Police were unwilling to go after the YMCA on their behalf, then why not use the Assessor and the RPTL as a tool to force the YMCA into complying with their desires.

It almost worked, too. The YMCA was apparently willing to pay some PILOS money to the City to get the Assessor off their backs. But the City apparently wasn't satisfied with that, and wanted total capitulation on closing down the Co-Op and Community Housing. That is why the YMCA was forced to sue the city.

It leaves open the question of whether in even the best case it is right or just to misuse the RPTL to attack perceived codes and crime issues? And this case is sub-optimal, since our City government is notoriously lacking in transparency and planning.
Huh

Little Falls, NY

#11 Oct 20, 2012
At this point, it is perfectly clear that the city needs to explain to Little Falls residents what the hell is going on in the assessor's office. This re-assessing of the YMCA looks like the poster-child for bad municipal government.

Is this a trial balloon for a new tax policy for non-profits? If so, it will really anger a lot of people to lose gymnastics, fish fries, the co-op, civic group meetings, karate lessons, sports team practices, and who knows what else as the assessor cracks down on non-exempt activities. I read Joy's comments in the newspaper: if an activity is not mentioned in the articles of incorporation, she wants to tax it.

Or is this a selective, revenge-motivated attack on ONE non-profit that irritated a small group of influential citizens? If so, then we need an ethics investigations into city hall and a whole lot of resignations.
interest free

Boston, MA

#12 Oct 20, 2012
Huh wrote:
At this point, it is perfectly clear that the city needs to explain to Little Falls residents what the hell is going on in the assessor's office. This re-assessing of the YMCA looks like the poster-child for bad municipal government.
Is this a trial balloon for a new tax policy for non-profits? If so, it will really anger a lot of people to lose gymnastics, fish fries, the co-op, civic group meetings, karate lessons, sports team practices, and who knows what else as the assessor cracks down on non-exempt activities. I read Joy's comments in the newspaper: if an activity is not mentioned in the articles of incorporation, she wants to tax it.
Or is this a selective, revenge-motivated attack on ONE non-profit that irritated a small group of influential citizens? If so, then we need an ethics investigations into city hall and a whole lot of resignations.
Explain? Bob refused to speak to us at tge debate and he got elected. Why would he change a strategy that clearly works with the yokels?
explain plz

Little Falls, NY

#13 Oct 20, 2012
interest free wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain? Bob refused to speak to us at tge debate and he got elected. Why would he change a strategy that clearly works with the yokels?
Well that expensive lawyer the city hired is gonna have to explain to to the judge. has any1 foiled the city over this yet?
LFGaloot

Herkimer, NY

#14 Oct 20, 2012
I will rejoice when the churches pay taxes as well.BTW .I scootered past "asbestos mountain" this morning. Mother nature is reclaiming the area by growing attractive weeds and the birds were singing at the site. This is certainly more desirable than the festering hulks that formerly occupied that space.I think that some non profit volunteer organization should approach the city and offer the city a little beautification effort.A project for the common good....hubba hubba PR... If not , the contractor that erred should be castigated .The courts are probably going to do it for us anyway. The root problems in this case is slow justice...not rabid partisanship.The mudslingers need patience and a redirection of their anger.There is a lot more wrong with this city than a pile of rocks.
okay

Herkimer, NY

#15 Oct 20, 2012
LFGaloot wrote:
I will rejoice when the churches pay taxes as well.
That is because you are an atheist and a socialist. You are in the ... uh ... minority.
LFGaloot wrote:
I think that some non profit volunteer organization should approach the city and offer the city a little beautification effort.
Then Joy will take away their tax exemption if that clean-up project is not spelled-out in their articles of incorporation. She said that herself in a newspaper interview in the Utica OD.

According to this new City Policy that Mayor Peters rammed down our throats, non-profits organizations are no longer allowed to be adaptive in responding to community needs.
Curious

Herkimer, NY

#16 Oct 21, 2012
Huh wrote:
Is this a trial balloon for a new tax policy for non-profits? If so, it will really anger a lot of people to lose gymnastics, fish fries, the co-op, civic group meetings, karate lessons, sports team practices, and who knows what else as the assessor cracks down on non-exempt activities. I read Joy's comments in the newspaper: if an activity is not mentioned in the articles of incorporation, she wants to tax it.
Exactly! The city assessor pretty much told the Utica OD that it is her intent to tax non-profits if they do anything, whether that activity is exempt or not, if it is not spelled out in the organization's charter or articles of incorporation. That is a strictly constructionist approach to the Real Property Tax Law that should strike terror in the heart of every non-profit, veteran's group and church in Little Falls. If the judge does not repudiate the city's actions vis a vis the YMCA, then look for an exodus of non-profits from Little Falls.
Bigger picture

Tully, NY

#17 Oct 21, 2012
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! The city assessor pretty much told the Utica OD that it is her intent to tax non-profits if they do anything, whether that activity is exempt or not, if it is not spelled out in the organization's charter or articles of incorporation. That is a strictly constructionist approach to the Real Property Tax Law that should strike terror in the heart of every non-profit, veteran's group and church in Little Falls. If the judge does not repudiate the city's actions vis a vis the YMCA, then look for an exodus of non-profits from Little Falls.
The city assessor works for Herkimer County.If successful this will become the norm for all non profits in the county.
Junkaloot

United States

#18 Oct 21, 2012
LFGaloot wrote:
I will rejoice when the churches pay taxes as well.BTW .I scootered past "asbestos mountain" this morning. Mother nature is reclaiming the area by growing attractive weeds and the birds were singing at the site. This is certainly more desirable than the festering hulks that formerly occupied that space.I think that some non profit volunteer organization should approach the city and offer the city a little beautification effort.A project for the common good....hubba hubba PR... If not , the contractor that erred should be castigated .The courts are probably going to do it for us anyway. The root problems in this case is slow justice...not rabid partisanship.The mudslingers need patience and a redirection of their anger.There is a lot more wrong with this city than a pile of rocks.
Galoot's ok with the junkpile? Figures.
Monroe Street

Herkimer, NY

#19 Oct 22, 2012
LFGaloot wrote:
There is a lot more wrong with this city than a pile of rocks.
I would rather see it cleaned up and the parkinglot that we were promised.

I am worried about all the empty storefronts on Main Street and you should be too. One reason nobody is renting them is that they are falling apart, open the door and find a junkpile inside.
Agree

Mechanicville, NY

#20 Oct 22, 2012
Junkaloot wrote:
<quoted text>
Galoot's ok with the junkpile? Figures.
Ya, I mean this is coming from Galoot, one of the alleged "Progressives" on this site.

We have a pile of rubble that was supposed to be cleaned up about two years ago and replaced with a parking lot and Galoot's take is that, well, the weeds are sort of covering the rubble now and it looks like there is some wildlife in there.

We all pretty much agree that the apartments there needed to come down. The fact that weeds allegedly look better than those apartments is a very strange argument. We were supposed to have a PARKING LOT there, not a polluted nature reserve.

Did you see a bald eagle there?

Mighty progressive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Little Falls Cheese Festival July Eleventh 47 min Huh 64
little falls farmers market 1 hr Joe Pavon 23
Copper Moose Ale House (Jun '14) 6 hr AnotherLFresident 664
Amish contractors (May '12) Sun Georgia F 50
AARP Commercial Subliminal Message Sat Le Wary 19
The Stock Family Dump Sat Former customer 47
Dirtiest Junkie in town Sat Donny 1
More from around the web

Little Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]