big m closing dec 22 new chopper feb 2
Might as Well

Utica, NY

#74 Dec 4, 2012
wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the idea that the people who shopped at the quarry would then come downtown and shop at other stores was a pipe dream. With a store located downtown, it draws those people into very close prroximity to other stores. Look around. When a Price Chopper is built other stores pop up around it. The idea being that people shop at Price Chopper and then shop at the other stores.
But if you shop at PC and have to drive a mile to get to the other stores...aint gonna happen.
Talk to people on the north side of main. They get this.
But the study itself was not limited to an analysis of consumer retail patterns within one square mile. The actual area studied covered 200 times that much, and it is probably more realistic to assume at consumer retail patterns, as well as the larger economy, really has to be considered over an area of maybe 400 square miles. That is, the average consumer in Little Falls will both earn their living and do their shopping roughly within an area west to east from Utica to Nellistown, north to south from Richfield Springs to Dodgeville, so, to correctly consider the question, you cannot limit the perspective from an area from the Quarry to the western limits of the City.
Lilly

United States

#75 Dec 4, 2012
People here do not learn from past experiences.
Wal*Mart took over Herkimer and literally desolated the small businesses in and around the village just as Price Chopper is going to do to the "city" of Little Falls.

What's left in Herkimer are mostly tattoo parlors, bars, smoke shops, liquor stores and fast food restaurants.
I'm sure Little Falls will love having the same type businesses move into all the empty spots Price Chopper causes.
Lilly

United States

#76 Dec 4, 2012
Serious Lilly wrote:
Matt / Lilly / BLAH, what say the three headed hydra?
Oh so now you're Serious Lilly?? What a hypocrite and A hole you are!
Lilly

United States

#77 Dec 4, 2012
Serious Lilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, time to get serious Lilly of the Valley, may I call you that?
Please post any study or link to any substantive facts that will persuade the average "yokel" like me that having a new grocery store will NOT help Little Falls. I'm all ears.
I am not the one who referred to the study to begin with even though I know about it ok? Can you keep comments straight?
I know that past experiences bring the same results. Look at Richfield Springs for that matter. Instead of bringing other businesses into the area Price Chopper took over and drove most of them out. What part of this doesn't your pea sized brain understand? If everybody shops at Price Chopper for everything what's left to buy anyplace else? You are such an idiot! Really not worth responding to but alas I do in hopes that your eyes may be opened to the reality of what happens when a huge grocery store like Price Chopper or Wal*Mart takes over a village or city.
Lilly

United States

#78 Dec 4, 2012
might as well not wrote:
<quoted text>
...tell the truth, huh? You are such a predictable oaf.
Yup, the great study you tout is NOT about getting a new grocery store downtown but IS about the long-dead quarry project. Did you even read it?
Fact Sheet: Economic Impact of the Proposed Quarry Project, Little Falls, NY
Insignificant Job Gains: Many if not most of the jobs created by the Quarry project will represent workers displaced from existing jobs in downtown Little Falls and Dolgeville. We project, under our base-line scenario to which we assign a 50% probability, that the quarry project will create a net total of just 3 new jobs (assuming three stores open at the Quarry site; we project a net LOSS of between 10 and 13 jobs if only two stores open).
And, since I am a nice guy - here's the link to the whole study that the others were too afraid to post because they KNEW it wasn't about a downtown grocery story.
http://mainstreetfirst.wordpress.com/2010/01/...
Oh Give UP! You can't make these idiots understand. All these morons see is a BIG SHINY STORE COMING to town and that's literally enough for their reduced mentalities to understand.
Lilly

United States

#79 Dec 4, 2012
I have a great suggestion...
Let's revisit this topic and discuss it a year from now during next Christmastime ok?
By then the proof will be very evident of exactly what Little Falls gained and lost thanks to Price Chopper coming to town. Talking about it is a waste of time. Proof will be clear. Just wait and see what happens. Instead of revitalizing Little Falls Price Chopper will make it more empty and residents will have no choice but to shop there just like Herkimer residents who lost P & C and Herkimer Chief and Payless shoe store and the clothing boutique on Main St. and on and on and on and on have no choice but to shop at Wal*Mart unless they want to travel out of the area.
HUGE difference between

Ilion, NY

#80 Dec 4, 2012
A 30,000 square foot grocery store (like Price Chopper is going to build in LF) and a Wal-Mart Super Center that averages 197,000 square feet (like in Herkimer).

Wal-Mart sells for the most part EVERYTHING
PC sells sells for the most part groceries

Stop with the crazy talk that a new grocery store, in downtown LF, replacing a disgusting old grocery store is going to put all the other stores in LF out of business.
Serious Lilly

Ilion, NY

#81 Dec 4, 2012
Lilly wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not the one who referred to the study to begin with even though I know about it ok? Can you keep comments straight?
I know that past experiences bring the same results. Look at Richfield Springs for that matter. Instead of bringing other businesses into the area Price Chopper took over and drove most of them out. What part of this doesn't your pea sized brain understand? If everybody shops at Price Chopper for everything what's left to buy anyplace else? You are such an idiot! Really not worth responding to but alas I do in hopes that your eyes may be opened to the reality of what happens when a huge grocery store like Price Chopper or Wal*Mart takes over a village or city.
PLEASE try to concentrate Lilly of the Valley, mmmkay???

The PC in Richfield Springs is outside of town...much like the quarry is to our downtown. Comparing that PC to our new PC, built smack dab in the center of DOWNTOWN, is idiotic on your part - again.
DUH

United States

#82 Dec 4, 2012
HUGE difference between wrote:
A 30,000 square foot grocery store (like Price Chopper is going to build in LF) and a Wal-Mart Super Center that averages 197,000 square feet (like in Herkimer).
Wal-Mart sells for the most part EVERYTHING
PC sells sells for the most part groceries
Stop with the crazy talk that a new grocery store, in downtown LF, replacing a disgusting old grocery store is going to put all the other stores in LF out of business.
REALLY??? Have you ever been in a Price Chopper? They carry much more than just groceries.
If you take away the automotive department and garages and all that non-grocery space at Wal*Mart and remove the bank and hairdresser and nail salon and all those that are not directly Wal*Mart but pay Wal*Mart big amounts of money to be in there with them then the actual grocery store part is about the same as what Price Chopper is going to build in Little Falls.
It doesn't really matter. The truth is Wal*Mart has put many local businesses out of business and Price Chopper has done the same.
As I said, proof will be coming over the next year and you and those like you will be eating your (typed) words. Mark my words!
DUH

United States

#83 Dec 4, 2012
As was so eloquently said, let the next year prove to all of you just what Price Chopper can and will do to Little Falls.
Compared to what is going to be lost what will be gained will be minimal.
DUH

United States

#84 Dec 4, 2012
AND do you know that the salon at Wal*Mart has driven several to close their doors because they took the business away? Do you realize that any small business that closes has serious repercussions to the entire community from reducing the tax base to putting hardworking families in poverty and actually reducing the amount of money residents have to spend locally? HUH??
Lilly Duh Blah Matt

Ilion, NY

#85 Dec 4, 2012
DUH wrote:
AND do you know that the salon at Wal*Mart has driven several to close their doors because they took the business away? Do you realize that any small business that closes has serious repercussions to the entire community from reducing the tax base to putting hardworking families in poverty and actually reducing the amount of money residents have to spend locally? HUH??
Can we please just call you Sybil? BTW, every name I'm using is just making fun of you but I doubt you've been able to pick that up since "yer kinda stoopid."

Sybil, please go back to E&B's and get 'nother beer wouldya! In case you haven't noticed...you are the ONLY PERSON on here who is against the new PC in DOWNTOWN LF.
and so

Brooklyn, NY

#87 Dec 4, 2012
DUH wrote:
we should just let Shopper Square stay as is so we can keep your little quaint vision of what the town should be like?

It's amazing to me that ANYONE considers investing in this town when they encounter this kind of small mindedness.
Chasing Sybil

Ilion, NY

#90 Dec 4, 2012
LFer wrote:
There are many people who don't think Price Chopper will be that great a deal for LFalls.
Name two.
Chasing Sybil

Ilion, NY

#91 Dec 4, 2012
Chasing Sybil wrote:
<quoted text>
Name two.
And please don't name yourself once and your "other" self as the second person!
You Tell Me

Utica, NY

#92 Dec 4, 2012
LFer wrote:
There are many people who don't think Price Chopper will be that great a deal for LFalls.
You all always reduce what should be a serious discussion to a personal attack on each other. That's the real small mindedness here not the fact that others don't agree with your single vision. You make it personal instead of it being community and business and don't see the difference.
Get real will ya? PC is going to run just about every small business out of LFalls and outlaying areas for as far as they can reach. They are going to gobble up all the business and money and give very little back to the community.
Why would anyone go elsewhere and spend more money to shop? To believe otherwise is pure ignorance maximus. That kind of small mindedness is why nothing good ever gets accomplished here.
I'm not near as pessimistic, having successfully run a small business which competed with much larger firms. The main advantage you have when you are small is that you are nimble. I could change personnel, products, equipment, marketing, or concentrate on newer products or services before the larger firms could even identify a need. As long as I stayed within my niches, I could provide better product consistently, and sometimes even cheaper than the larger firms. I could provide FAR better customer service. I could turn on a dime while the larger firms were still wondering what to do.

Local examples..want appliances? Best place around..by far..Robinson's in Mohawk. Want paint? Pohligs. You're in and out of those places with better products and better answers before you are even in the front door of Lowes.

One thing, though, is that you've got to have a demographic which appreciates the better stuff and is willing to pay for it. I think that demographic does exist in LF..one sucessful business here sells a $3 cup of coffee two blocks away from McDonalds. Better coffee, better atmosphere. Plus, we've got a couple of really high class pricey restaurants. The demographic works.

But yeah, some of these small businesses are going to have to raise their game if they intend to survive. No question.

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Since: Jan 08

Indian Trail, NC

#93 Dec 4, 2012
If the dire warnings of LFer are true...
How did BIG M not see the possibilities?
Why didn't they take advantage of the situation?

You make it sound so easy!
Question

New Hartford, NY

#94 Dec 4, 2012
The question I have is what do we have here that is worth coming to town for on a regular basis?Not very much.We had a P&C here and they had a lot of the same stuff Price Chopper has.WalMart has been the doom for this city as well as other area towns.There isn't much here except eateries.I know there are a lot of shops in Canal Place but for the most part they are speciaty shops or just don't have product the consumer is looking for regularly. Same problem for most small places
Nope

Syracuse, NY

#95 Dec 4, 2012
UTLT wrote:
If the dire warnings of LFer are true...
How did BIG M not see the possibilities?
Why didn't they take advantage of the situation?
You make it sound so easy!
The owners of Big M said 4 years ago that they were going to retire within 5 years.
tarot root

Little Falls, NY

#96 Dec 4, 2012
The world ends the day BEFORE Dec. 22. I have seen it in the cards.Tarot has spoken.All hail Tarot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Stealthy Censor Stikes Again 36 min Relentless 5
Mark's pizzeria 1 hr Sowhat 2
Remington at the Inauguration 1 hr Make LF Great Again 4
No Land Grabbing Land Bank for LITTLE FALLS 1 hr Make LF Great Again 1
It's garbage! 1 hr Creative and Effi... 2
Where are all the cougars at 2 hr Cranky McPhuknuts 44
good contractor Tue MICHAEL lowes 9

Little Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance