First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Obamas Sexratary

Moravia, NY

#1 Sep 3, 2012
From a friend....

A friend of a acquaintance saw someone using food stamps to pay for ice cream bars.

She was in line behind the woman in the grocery store. As she stood there waiting her turn, the two republican women behind my friend said in a very loud voice, "Must be nice to have food stamps to pay for ice cream bars."

As my friend tried to think what to say, the woman ahead of her turned and said, "Yes, it is wonderful to have food stamps to pay for ice cream bars. And tonight when your kids get to go to the football game, you think about my kids, we can't afford to go to the football game. And tomorrow, on Saturday, when your kids get to go to the movies, my kids will be at the park, because we can't afford to go to the movies. And on Sunday, when you go to brunch, or for a ride in the country, or shopping, think of my kids, because that's the day we will be eating the ice cream bars.

All weekend I will be saying to them,'On Sunday we get ice cream bars.' Yes, I certainly am lucky to be able to buy ice cream bars with my food stamps." RG
i wish

United States

#2 Sep 3, 2012
Obamas Sexratary wrote:
From a friend....

A friend of a acquaintance saw someone using food stamps to pay for ice cream bars.

She was in line behind the woman in the grocery store. As she stood there waiting her turn, the two republican women behind my friend said in a very loud voice, "Must be nice to have food stamps to pay for ice cream bars."

As my friend tried to think what to say, the woman ahead of her turned and said, "Yes, it is wonderful to have food stamps to pay for ice cream bars. And tonight when your kids get to go to the football game, you think about my kids, we can't afford to go to the football game. And tomorrow, on Saturday, when your kids get to go to the movies, my kids will be at the park, because we can't afford to go to the movies. And on Sunday, when you go to brunch, or for a ride in the country, or shopping, think of my kids, because that's the day we will be eating the ice cream bars.

All weekend I will be saying to them,'On Sunday we get ice cream bars.' Yes, I certainly am lucky to be able to buy ice cream bars with my food stamps." RG
If this was the truth in most cases then food stamps would work. But unfortunately it's not. The people that abuse the system are what gives us the bad impression. We all know the people. Smoking cigarettes buying booze wearing nothing but name brand clothes that whip out the EBT for their delmonicos and crab legs. No wonder they get their groceries out of town.
um wow

Great Barrington, MA

#3 Sep 3, 2012
Obamas Sexratary wrote:
From a friend....
This is a stupid post.

She should be buying some actual food with those stamps.
Max

Little Falls, NY

#4 Sep 3, 2012
um wow wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a stupid post.
She should be buying some actual food with those stamps.
When the smoke clears, I have to agree with that. If you are down on your luck and need to depend on the taxes of others to feed yourself and your family, that's a tough situation. And I'm a generous person who likes to help those who are trying to help themselves. But, face it, ice cream is junk food. If you have extra to afford ice cream, you don't need taxpayers help. If you're really down and hungry and need to take money from my family to feed yours, you should limit yourself (and the program should limit you to) actual food...rice, beans, etc. And WTF is this stuff about football games?
neighborhood Mom

Little Falls, NY

#5 Sep 3, 2012
You know just because you see a benefit card doesn't mean it is food stamps. I have a friend that has one because thats how she gets her child support, Not food stamps. So don't be such a dick because they have a benefit card. Not everyone gets food stamps with their card.....
i wish

Little Falls, NY

#6 Sep 3, 2012
Max wrote:
<quoted text>When the smoke clears, I have to agree with that. If you are down on your luck and need to depend on the taxes of others to feed yourself and your family, that's a tough situation. And I'm a generous person who likes to help those who are trying to help themselves. But, face it, ice cream is junk food. If you have extra to afford ice cream, you don't need taxpayers help. If you're really down and hungry and need to take money from my family to feed yours, you should limit yourself (and the program should limit you to) actual food...rice, beans, etc. And WTF is this stuff about football games?
As much as I agree with you I also think that if that's the worst they are doing w their food stamps then it's not too bad. Every child deserves a treat. Even as little as an ice cream. Some kids get one every night after dinner. People that can't afford even the essentials still want to give their kids a little something. And the kids deserve it.
Max

Little Falls, NY

#7 Sep 4, 2012
What did the kids do to deserve it? And, remember, it's not the parents "giving" their kids anything...it's the state taking money from other parents and other kids to give these kids ice cream. The parents of the kids have nothing to do with providing either the real food or the ice cream.
i wish

Little Falls, NY

#8 Sep 4, 2012
Max wrote:
What did the kids do to deserve it? And, remember, it's not the parents "giving" their kids anything...it's the state taking money from other parents and other kids to give these kids ice cream. The parents of the kids have nothing to do with providing either the real food or the ice cream.
Idk what they did to deserve. But I know my child like something sweet after dinner. I do too! So if they get something one a week then so be it. Maybe these people are the legit ones. Dad lost his job and mom has only worked pt. Who knows. It's hard to judge when too many just screw the system.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9 Sep 4, 2012
i wish wrote:
<quoted text>
Idk what they did to deserve. But I know my child like something sweet after dinner. I do too! So if they get something one a week then so be it. Maybe these people are the legit ones. Dad lost his job and mom has only worked pt. Who knows. It's hard to judge when too many just screw the system.
If we all just minded our own Ps & Qs instead of trying to judge others we think are beneath us, we'd all be better off.

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Since: Jan 08

Indian Trail, NC

#10 Sep 4, 2012
It used to be that you bought food stamps.
You'd pay the amount you'd be able to spend on food...
They'd give you the amount you needed in stamps.
Which could only be used on food items.

I don't know how they currently do it.
Ice cream is a food.
House

Herkimer, NY

#11 Sep 4, 2012
If you had the money to buy the food why would you buy food stamps? Since your from the south and seem alittle slow, I'll give you40 cents on the dollar for your food stamps.LOL
i wish

Little Falls, NY

#12 Sep 4, 2012
CoffinMaker wrote:
<quoted text>If we all just minded our own Ps & Qs instead of trying to judge others we think are beneath us, we'd all be better off.
Actually coffin I'm not judging but defending. There is a difference.
Mrs Smith

Syracuse, NY

#13 Sep 4, 2012
neighborhood Mom wrote:
You know just because you see a benefit card doesn't mean it is food stamps. I have a friend that has one because thats how she gets her child support, Not food stamps. So don't be such a dick because they have a benefit card. Not everyone gets food stamps with their card.....
Hahahaha!! That's a lie. I work within the system and there are child support cards but they are debit cards, NOT EBT cards. Sorry, but your friend is lying to you, she gets public assistance!

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Indian Trail, NC

#14 Sep 4, 2012
HOUSE!
Let me break it down for you...

"They required that the recipients should purchase their food stamps, while paying the average money spent on food then receiving an amount of food stamps representing an opportunity more nearly to obtain a low-cost nutritionally adequate diet."

So you are ADDING to their diet.
From WIKI... S.N.A.P.
dumb dumb

United States

#15 Sep 4, 2012
The system is broken. The food stamp customers should only be allowed to buy whats located at the perimeter of the store. Veggies, meat, dairy...bread. Simple... now why cant NY figure that out? Some states have specific stores for food stamps only. I do also agree with them using them @ farmers markets. Stop being lazy & actually cook a meal that doesnt require a microwave. You obviously have the time.
Mrs Smith

Syracuse, NY

#16 Sep 4, 2012
dumb dumb wrote:
The system is broken. The food stamp customers should only be allowed to buy whats located at the perimeter of the store. Veggies, meat, dairy...bread. Simple... now why cant NY figure that out? Some states have specific stores for food stamps only. I do also agree with them using them @ farmers markets. Stop being lazy & actually cook a meal that doesnt require a microwave. You obviously have the time.
I agree. I have serious issues about what they can buy with foodstamps.

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Indian Trail, NC

#17 Sep 4, 2012
Here's an summary report about SNAP recipients.
Some of it may surprise you.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/ORA/menu/Published/SN...

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#18 Sep 4, 2012
i wish wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually coffin I'm not judging but defending. There is a difference.
I was trying to contribute to your point, not detract from it.
Indy

Brighton, CO

#19 Sep 4, 2012
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-04/food...
Food-Stamp Use Climbs to Record, Reviving Campaign Issue

Food-stamp use reached a record 46.7 million in June, the government said, as Democrats prepare to nominate President Barack Obama for a second term with the economy as a chief issue in the campaign.

Participation was up 0.4 percent from May and 3.3 percent higher than a year earlier and has remained greater than 46 million all year as the unemployment rate stayed higher than 8 percent. New jobless numbers will be released Sept. 7.
Shirley Hughgeste

Utica, NY

#20 Sep 4, 2012
If someone wants to have ice cream, why don't they just buy some milk, and some eggs, and some sugar, and get off their butts and MAKE their own ice cream? That's what I do. I work...I can't afford to buy ice cream. Plus, homemade, it tastes better and is more nutritious. Heck of a world where people on food stamps can afford to buy stuff that working people can't, but to tell the truth I suspect part of the problem is that making your own ice cream actually involves a bit of work...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bye, bye Hillary 13 min America FIRST 1
Stupid is as Stupid continues to do. 14 min Tracy 3
Tiger SINKS THREE IN THE DRINK 50 min Golf Historian 26
Beauty and the beach (Feb '11) 2 hr smellslikefishy 57
Little Falls' latest drifter 2 hr really 11
Adult Pleasures Working with Cops 9 hr Wilbur Cochran 21
Help me GETOUTAHERE 17 hr see ya 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Little Falls Mortgages