Shirley Hughgeste

Utica, NY

#61 May 18, 2012
Little Falls must be about the only place in the world where the old-timers decry the newcomers for caring more about the City than the old-timers.
prune juice

United States

#62 May 18, 2012
Personally I wonder if the greater portion of LF can remember what a reasonably maintained house even looks like.

I am just amazed. A coat of paint doesn't cost much. No one gives a damn. That's the truly sad part.
Big Pecker

Fairfax, VA

#63 May 18, 2012
Again....It is a sad place to live and raise a family!!! When will you people learn....Get out of there!!!
Just Saying

Cicero, NY

#64 May 18, 2012
prune juice wrote:
Personally I wonder if the greater portion of LF can remember what a reasonably maintained house even looks like.
I am just amazed. A coat of paint doesn't cost much. No one gives a damn. That's the truly sad part.
I beg to differ: http://www.kudzu.com/article/How-much-does-it... That is a lot of money for someone on a fixed income. And a LOT of the people in this town are too old to do the work themselves, so add labor, and you are expecting the people on the lower end of the economic spectrum do dig awfully deep.

That is why we resent affluent newcomers moving to town, and expecting us to spend money as freely as they do. Not every one around here can afford that.

If you want to live in Saratoga Springs, then maybe you should have moved to Saratoga Springs? Did you ever think of that?
yokelism

Schenectady, NY

#65 May 18, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
This has NOTHING to do with a fear of change. This has to do with realistic expectations.
Rising property values come from an net influx of more or less affluent people, most of whom are seeking to purchase homes. Falling property values stem from a net exodus of homeowners. Little Falls, owing to its demographics, falls in the latter category right now.
When air-headed people talk about the gentrification of LF, they have to realize that won't happen just by getting everybody to paint their house every couple of years.
And, for what it is worth, I have witnessed the gentrification of several communities. It is often a bad deal for those who live there if they are of the lower socio-economic classes, especially if they rent. Gentrification often displaces people. Poor people know the score, and they resist getting screwed over.
You are the king of the yokels. I bet you skip Bud Light AND Labatt Blue and go straight to the good stuff...Stewart's Mountain Brew.$1.99 per six pack. Hey, it's cheaper than paint.
Jean Linen

New York, NY

#66 May 18, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ: http://www.kudzu.com/article/How-much-does-it... That is a lot of money for someone on a fixed income. And a LOT of the people in this town are too old to do the work themselves, so add labor, and you are expecting the people on the lower end of the economic spectrum do dig awfully deep.
That is why we resent affluent newcomers moving to town, and expecting us to spend money as freely as they do. Not every one around here can afford that.
If you want to live in Saratoga Springs, then maybe you should have moved to Saratoga Springs? Did you ever think of that?
If you want to live in Dogpatch, then maybe you should have moved to Dogpatch and live the decent places to the decent folk. Did you ever think of that?
IRS

Skaneateles, NY

#67 May 18, 2012
prune juice wrote:
Personally I wonder if the greater portion of LF can remember what a reasonably maintained house even looks like.
I am just amazed. A coat of paint doesn't cost much. No one gives a damn. That's the truly sad part.
The Feds took all their paint money.
Oh, and Thank you.
lpool

United States

#68 May 18, 2012
Oh the poor victimized seniors on fixed incomes. The pity train is about to leave the station yet again.
LOL

New York, NY

#69 May 18, 2012
prune juice wrote:
Personally I wonder if the greater portion of LF can remember what a reasonably maintained house even looks like.
I am just amazed. A coat of paint doesn't cost much. No one gives a damn. That's the truly sad part.
LOL! If you paint your house, then the assessor raises your property taxes! Momma didn't raise no fool. Our houses are gorgeous inside, and look like something out of Deliverance on the outside.
LOL

New York, NY

#70 May 18, 2012
Jean Linen wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to live in Dogpatch, then maybe you should have moved to Dogpatch and live the decent places to the decent folk. Did you ever think of that?
IOW, you moved here because you can't afford Saratoga Springs? Well, you get what you pay for. LOL!
Not

Syracuse, NY

#71 May 18, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! If you paint your house, then the assessor raises your property taxes! Momma didn't raise no fool. Our houses are gorgeous inside, and look like something out of Deliverance on the outside.
The only time they will raise your taxes is if you take out a building permit.
You don't need a building permit to paint.
LOL

New York, NY

#72 May 18, 2012
yokelism wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the king of the yokels. I bet you skip Bud Light AND Labatt Blue and go straight to the good stuff...Stewart's Mountain Brew.$1.99 per six pack. Hey, it's cheaper than paint.
Is Stewart's REALLY selling a store brand of beer now? LOL! I'll have to try it if that is so. I see they are doing store brands of everything else, from chips to candy to soda.
Jean Linen

New York, NY

#73 May 18, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
IOW, you moved here because you can't afford Saratoga Springs? Well, you get what you pay for. LOL!
Ya...your City is a trash heap and it's getting worse, but it's all just LOL to you yokels, yuck it up against your garbage and your rubble...LOL...
Jean Linen

New York, NY

#74 May 18, 2012
You can either attract decent folk or you can attract welfare bums..but you've made your choice already, no need to listen to my warnings, yokels.
Jean Linen

New York, NY

#75 May 18, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Stewart's REALLY selling a store brand of beer now? LOL! I'll have to try it if that is so. I see they are doing store brands of everything else, from chips to candy to soda.
Paddle faster, I hear banjos....
yokelism

Schenectady, NY

#76 May 19, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! If you paint your house, then the assessor raises your property taxes! Momma didn't raise no fool. Our houses are gorgeous inside, and look like something out of Deliverance on the outside.
I've been in a lot of houses in LF. Nine times out of ten, if they're crappy on the outside they're crappy on the inside.

My favorite yokel move is when a yokel cries poverty and can't paint his porch and then rolls down the street pulling his brand new Polaris.
yokelism

Schenectady, NY

#77 May 19, 2012
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Stewart's REALLY selling a store brand of beer now? LOL! I'll have to try it if that is so. I see they are doing store brands of everything else, from chips to candy to soda.
Yes, it's true, they have their own brew. It's dirt cheap and tastes like hell, which means it's probably a big seller around here.
Proud Yokel

New York, NY

#78 May 19, 2012
Jean Linen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya...your City is a trash heap and it's getting worse, but it's all just LOL to you yokels, yuck it up against your garbage and your rubble...LOL...
This is the Hegelian dialectic of de-gentrification of the gentry in towns like Little Falls. An affluent outsider sees the town, notes approvingly that it is picturesque, then sees it is stunningly affordable, and then falls in love with the tolerant character of the locals. Said affluent outsider moves here and buys a place for 'a steal'. Now said outsider decides the town is not really picturesque enough, and wants to make the locals less tolerant by turning them into codes commandos in order to turn the town into something more like Saratoga Springs. When the locals resist, the outside gets discouraged and realizes that the affordability factor was really poverty seen through rose-colored lenses. Said outsider usually sells the house at a loss and moves within 7 years. Rinse, repeat.

And all the time, you wonder why the local real estate brokers are grinning from ear to ear?
LOL

New York, NY

#79 May 19, 2012
yokelism wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's true, they have their own brew. It's dirt cheap and tastes like hell, which means it's probably a big seller around here.
Thanks. I look forward to trying it ... once. There is a certain tangible pleasure in the really bad beers of the world. Sort of like those of us who love really bad movies. LOL!
Move Now

New York, NY

#80 May 19, 2012
I think all you "negative nellies" should pack up your bags and leave town. LF is a beautiful city. It only has some sections of town that are "trashy" because of you moving in, then trashing the city and its people. Move now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pez: Why didn't you tell us you were going to ... (May '09) 6 hr BullChit 38
Does anyone know what's going on with this case? 12 hr Neighbor 5
Soup Fest ‘17 21 hr Porage 3
brian cotton 21 hr Wowwww 8
Sign to point to Historic downtown Sat Bobby 15
"Representative" TENNEY Sat Melania 1
Executive Order Fri VP Pencildick 1

Little Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Little Falls Mortgages