Next Last
MSF

Whitesboro, NY

#1 Aug 5, 2012
We ordered six.
concerned citizen

United States

#2 Aug 6, 2012
Shouldn't it read. Welcome to LF, a community with no future?
nope

Selkirk, NY

#3 Aug 6, 2012
concerned citizen wrote:
Shouldn't it read. Welcome to LF, a community with no future?
No it should read "welcome to LF, a community full of helpless yokels. Please don't feed the native population."
TANSTAAFL

Ilion, NY

#4 Aug 6, 2012
It really needs to read "Here still stands, by some miracle, a once proud town that has been brought to its knees by decades of high taxes and anti-business and anti-growth regulations unfairly imposed upon it by an idiotic state government."

The same sign can be placed in almost every other small town in the once great State of New York.
lpool

United States

#5 Aug 6, 2012
Can pass by my town with that sign, thank you. Some towns have worked hard to move on and succeed rather than leaning on that tired out old crutch.
TANSTAAFL

Ilion, NY

#6 Aug 6, 2012
lpool wrote:
Can pass by my town with that sign, thank you. Some towns have worked hard to move on and succeed rather than leaning on that tired out old crutch.
I'm glad for you and your town Lpool - truly. Little Falls doesn't have the luxury of a big draw / anchor like Saratoga has in the race course, Cooperstown has in the hall of fame, Old Forge has in the lakes etc... What Little Falls does have is a low cost of living (comparatively to the other towns I mentioned) and abundant natural beauty and resources. Little Falls is a great bedroom community in that it is also within an easy commute to Albany & Syracuse. Reversing course takes time and the will to change; though it is sad that so many folks here (maybe just on Topix?) have such a negative attitude about change & newcomers.

I see a ray of hope though with recent events like the multi-million dollar expansion of the hospital for instance. LF just needs some more new blood / investments / risk taking. I took a risk and moved here about a year ago and remain upbeat the future and potential of the entire mohawk valley region.
jnyry

Castle Rock, CO

#7 Aug 6, 2012
TANSTAAFL wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad for you and your town Lpool - truly. Little Falls doesn't have the luxury of a big draw / anchor like Saratoga has in the race course, Cooperstown has in the hall of fame, Old Forge has in the lakes etc... What Little Falls does have is a low cost of living (comparatively to the other towns I mentioned) and abundant natural beauty and resources. Little Falls is a great bedroom community in that it is also within an easy commute to Albany & Syracuse. Reversing course takes time and the will to change; though it is sad that so many folks here (maybe just on Topix?) have such a negative attitude about change & newcomers.
I see a ray of hope though with recent events like the multi-million dollar expansion of the hospital for instance. LF just needs some more new blood / investments / risk taking. I took a risk and moved here about a year ago and remain upbeat the future and potential of the entire mohawk valley region.
Very well said.. bleak now but I agree :) hopefully moving upward
lpool

United States

#8 Aug 8, 2012
Hope and wishes don't change a damn thing. Plans and actions do. The valley has incredible potential. Potential doesn't do one bit of good. Unlocking that potential is key.

What is so difficult or scary in picking one issue to work on. Something small, say getting a dozen neighborhood watch groups going? Then you start on enforcing existinf codes. Then you move on to longer term projects like a rental registry and a long term comprehensive plan.

Everyone just moans and b@tches about problems that are obvious and can't be bothered to effort to find solutions.
Gary

Herkimer, NY

#9 Aug 8, 2012
TANSTAAFL, I couldn't agree more; unfortunately, we're in a race against time here in LF. We do have all the things you mentioned, and a comparatively low cost of living. Word has gotten out. Section 8 is on it's way. Actually it's already here. You see more and more welfare losers every week. There are newcomers (and some longtime residents, albeit frustratingly few) who want to do great things in this city, and see the potential. But unfortunately if we stay the course that Bobby and Phil the Enforcer have us on, this city is in real trouble. Once the Section 8 arrives, it doesn't leave. I own a home here and came here because of the same potential you saw. But if the trend continues, on a few years I'll just rent my place out to whoever and bail. The yokels are so clueless it's unbelievable. This town is on the precipice of an irreversible slide to a welfare dump and they don't even realize it. This is a critical time for this city's future.
lpool

United States

#10 Aug 9, 2012
Bravo! Gary gets it. Now, what are you going to do about it?
Jean Linen

Little Falls, NY

#11 Aug 9, 2012
lpool wrote:
Why don't you tell us? As far as I can see, the Yokels control virtually everything, and can and do completely shut out the participation of anyone else. Helplessness breeds hopelessness.

Peters and his slumlord pals seem to have won. I just don't see any other endgame possible, especially since no one seems to be willing to challenge him directly. The only end to this seems to be to sellout cheap to the slumlord, and move to someplace decent.

“Do SOMETHING !!!”

Since: Jan 08

Indian Trail, NC

#12 Aug 9, 2012
What do you mean... no one willing to challenge him?

Roger Stock, Margie Widay, and Teresa Lee... come to mind.

The Utica O-D referred to it as a 'crowded race'.

http://www.uticaod.com/news/x782939251/4-comp...
Gary

Herkimer, NY

#13 Aug 9, 2012
lpool wrote:
I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it with Bobby and Phil the Thrill running the joint. I mean God, we got two good guys on the codes board who tried to push for more enforcement; you see how long that lasted. I personally think it's going to take some disaster to befall the city for people to finally realize how poorly this place is run. And believe me, we flirt with disaster every day. All it will take is one fire in a public building, and boy are the taxpayers (including myself) in this town in for a surprise.

"What, our fire insurance wasn't valid?"

Oops.
Jean Linen

Little Falls, NY

#14 Aug 9, 2012
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it with Bobby and Phil the Thrill running the joint. I mean God, we got two good guys on the codes board who tried to push for more enforcement; you see how long that lasted. I personally think it's going to take some disaster to befall the city for people to finally realize how poorly this place is run. And believe me, we flirt with disaster every day. All it will take is one fire in a public building, and boy are the taxpayers (including myself) in this town in for a surprise.
"What, our fire insurance wasn't valid?"
Oops.
And if I or any of my family is hurt in that fire, we will OWN this little sh#thole of a City, lock, stock, and barrel, I guarantee you. We'll leave every one of you broke and move to someplace decently run.
lover of LF

United States

#15 Aug 9, 2012
What's the real deal here? What is really preventing the city from moving forward? I have a hard time believing that 2 individuals out of 5,000 residents are the only ones that have a voice or say in the matter.
lpool

United States

#16 Aug 9, 2012
Exactly. If hundreds of people started showing up at council meetings you bet someone would get the message.

Complain or act. Your choice.
Jean Linen

Little Falls, NY

#17 Aug 9, 2012
lpool wrote:
Exactly. If hundreds of people started showing up at council meetings you bet someone would get the message.
Complain or act. Your choice.
You got rated as clueless, mean, spam because you know for a fact that there's no choice about it. You can go to the council meetings and complain till you are blue in the face and all that happens is that Peters. Rose, and Petrovich all BS right to your face and nothing else happens.
lpool

United States

#18 Aug 9, 2012
If the constituency participated....
Gary

Herkimer, NY

#19 Aug 9, 2012
lover of LF wrote:
What's the real deal here? What is really preventing the city from moving forward? I have a hard time believing that 2 individuals out of 5,000 residents are the only ones that have a voice or say in the matter.
No, but they're the ones the yokels elect. And if the yokels elect yokels, this town will never improve.
lpool

United States

#20 Aug 9, 2012
Right on, Gary!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hannitys Fixer 3 hr Maga 6
Funeral Home Pricing 10 hr Public Info 1
It was a dark and Stormy. ......... 10 hr Willy Poopstain 41
The Cletus Cash Cow 10 hr Truth 24
pez must INCREASE and we must decrease 19 hr Glute Eos Maximus 4
The Blask Administration Tue Maroooooon 29
Pez bells go ting a ling a ling Tue PEZ LUVR 4LIFE 1

Little Falls Jobs

Personal Finance

Little Falls Mortgages