Enough Already

Pascoag, RI

#1 Jan 18, 2013
You anti-gun people can keep right on thinking these laws reduce homicide. But you do it in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. However, this is an interesting take on what the laws might do for suicides with guns, which is more common than homicide.

http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/g...

"If these handgun denials were successful in preventing violence-prone people from arming themselves, we would expect to see a larger reduction in gun crimes committed in the 32 Brady states compared with the non-Brady states. Disappointingly, our study did not find significant trend differences between the Brady and non-Brady states in the most reliably measured gun crime homicide. Thus the direct effect on gun crime that advocates expected from denying disqualified adults in the Brady states does not reveal itself in our data."

“Shop Yokel”

Since: Mar 12

Small Falls, USA

#2 Jan 18, 2013
I don't do a regular readin' of the New York Times, but I'm glad you posted this article, mister. Ol' Clem, he's been pretty glum lately. Uncle Roscoe said Clem has what's known as seasoning defectiveness disorder. Uncle Roscoe is a bit a of a self taught doctor so he's really good at determinin' what's ailing a body...though he was wrong about cousin Ned needing to have his manhood removed. Ned aint never quite seen to forgive Roscoe. Anyhow, Clem's been gloomy and I'm worried about what he might do to hisself. I hope this new legislation that the Italian feller passed helps people like ol Clem. If you happen to see Clem around town, try to cheer him up. He's been goin' to therapy a lot in the mornings, right about 7:30. He says he goes to a doctor named "Moose." Says the place is called "Ed and Buds." Seems like a funny name for a place but it seems to help 'ol Clem.
UR Left

Herkimer, NY

#3 Jan 18, 2013
Enough Already wrote:
You anti-gun people can keep right on thinking these laws reduce homicide. But you do it in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
True, because places like the UK have basically the same gun crime rates that we do. Oh wait.
sheepleloveroyal ty

Bryn Mawr, PA

#6 Feb 17, 2013
Guns have little to do with suicide rates. Alot of suicide is culture based for instance. Japan with some of the toughest gun control laws in the world and smaller population than the US has a suicide rate that DOUBLES the US murder rate. Japan averages 30,000 suicides a year.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/08/j...

Gun bans will push the suiciders into drug abuse, jumping, cutting, suicide by cop, auto, train etc. Also note what is accompanying a high suicide rate-unemployment.

More nanny state delusions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aja Herrington 5 hr Aja 20
Outskirts Tonight-Be there or be Square 7 hr Jimmy 47
What's up with Moreland park? 8 hr Proactive 2
Gallery/coffee bar opening 18 hr LOL 34
chuck Randall Jr. (to all women) 20 hr Paula 22
Monica vs Scott 23 hr debunker of losers 13
prostitution services.... Huh?! Wed mpalumbo 15
More from around the web

Little Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE