Girla s push for purple bill draws re...

Girla s push for purple bill draws red faces

There are 26 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jan 20, 2011, titled Girla s push for purple bill draws red faces. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

To promote purple, 10-year-old Kristyn Demers and her parents drove for more than an hour through a storm of white.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CRAP

Salem, NH

#1 Jan 20, 2011
Ar least it's a kid and not politicians wasting their time on this.
Greg

Little Rock, AR

#2 Jan 20, 2011
Perhaps we need to have a fifth grade student put in a bill for shared parenting to get it passed through the House.

It worked for adopting Apple Cider. Perhaps this is how many of these young children can see both of their parents.
News Junkie

Londonderry, NH

#3 Jan 20, 2011
Shawn Jasper is funny Big up Mr Jasper
stewie griffin

AOL

#4 Jan 20, 2011
new hamshire...........the purple nurple state
OldYankee

Wellesley, MA

#5 Jan 20, 2011
What an absolute waste of newsprint this article is. Must have been a really slow news day.
gerry

Westford, MA

#6 Jan 20, 2011
OldYankee wrote:
What an absolute waste of newsprint this article is. Must have been a really slow news day.
I dissagree, this shows the frivolity with which our lawmakers are willing to spend their time (and get paid, by us, for it).
gerry

Westford, MA

#7 Jan 20, 2011
this is an example of parents that are willing to put their child's whims ahead of the public's valuable time. Rep. Doherty you're a fool.
Amused

Lowell, MA

#8 Jan 20, 2011
gerry wrote:
<quoted text>
I dissagree, this shows the frivolity with which our lawmakers are willing to spend their time (and get paid, by us, for it).
I dunno. I think they do less harm when they are busy on frivolous things like this than when they try to be serious.
angrysquirrel

Nashua, NH

#9 Jan 20, 2011
I don't think the color purple bill is stupid at all. It totally makes sense to distinguish NH from say...Massachusetts.

When I was in grade school in NH we had the purple lilac as the state flower and the purple finch as our state bird. The state tree was a birch tree.

Now the reason this girl is getting opposition is b/c you get yahoos who are connected in NH that bizarre state crap passed, like the state lizard and the state drink. Now this kid pays the price for others stupidity.

As for other kids liking red as their favorite color, who cares? Boys like red and girls like pink. The color purple already goes with other state symbols. Plus it's not wacky like the state....drink.... Geeesh. Did that really pass?

BTW Jasper, if you don't know what a spotted newt is maybe you should read about them. Good god man, you're a state rep voting on state laws. Get those brain cells working and start learning about the great state of New Hampshire!
Bob

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Jan 20, 2011
The parents drove through a snow storm for this? Why indulge the kid and put her at risk during a blizzard?

Teach that kid to be self centered!
A Very Proud American

New Haven, CT

#12 Jan 21, 2011
While it is interesting and educational for school children to understand the process of state government - it is equally ridiculous to WASTE time on such frivolous petitions. Do it in a school environment - somewhat like debates - but to actually propose a state color??? Dumb is the only word I can use; state drink, etc equally DUMB! State legislators should cull the dumb petitions that a are proposed before wasting their time and tax payers' money on issues such as this. Just my opinion.
Whiner

Hansford, WV

#13 Jan 21, 2011
Shawn Jasper is a big fish in a small pond flexing his muscles against a wide eyed little girl.
Sitting on his throne in his little Hudson "empire"
bullying people. Way to go Shawn. grow up.
Do not be so Rude

Salem, NH

#14 Jan 21, 2011
I think what this young girl is doing is serving as a very educational experience for children about our legislative system. It is one thing to sit in the gallery and see the process; it is quite another experience to participate in the process. I think more is learned through participation than through passive learning. Whether or not the representatives think this bill is ridiculous, they should be proud of a child taking an interest in their government. And whether or not they think this bill is ridiculous, they have no right to be so rude. They can thank this girl for her interest in government and veto it (if they don't want it). Don't crush the spirit of a child. That is how you destroy children's interest in education and inquisitiveness in the world. Don't be so narrow minded. See the bigger picture. You go Kristyn!
Not Racist

Nashua, NH

#15 Jan 21, 2011
Tax dollars are being wasted on this crap? Are you kidding me?
Whats the point

Brighton, MI

#16 Jan 21, 2011
Do not be so Rude wrote:
I think what this young girl is doing is serving as a very educational experience for children about our legislative system. It is one thing to sit in the gallery and see the process; it is quite another experience to participate in the process. I think more is learned through participation than through passive learning. Whether or not the representatives think this bill is ridiculous, they should be proud of a child taking an interest in their government. And whether or not they think this bill is ridiculous, they have no right to be so rude. They can thank this girl for her interest in government and veto it (if they don't want it). Don't crush the spirit of a child. That is how you destroy children's interest in education and inquisitiveness in the world. Don't be so narrow minded. See the bigger picture. You go Kristyn!
So perhaps we should have every child in the entire New Hampshire public school system propose a bill and participate in the process one by one. The legislators can't possibly have anything better to discuss. It isn't necessary to be cruel to this girl but a field trip for multiple classes to the gallery during one of these hearings for a bill that actually matters seems to make much more educational and legislative sense.

Since: Dec 10

North Attleboro, MA

#17 Jan 21, 2011
OldYankee wrote:
So sorry to hear you feel that way. We thought the student showed an interest in civics and government that outshines most adults. If we call everyone "stupid" for their efforts to do something different, no one would ever make an effort anymore. Kudos to Kristyn.
Samantha

AOL

#18 Jan 21, 2011
No waste of taxpayer money. State Reps get paid $100 per year in NH.
Samantha

AOL

#19 Jan 21, 2011
Great spirit Rep. Jasper. Maybe he should educate himself about the spotted newt before opposing it. Hopefully he knows what purple looks like. This would have been a great opportunity for him to support a young girl from his own district rather than stomp on her bill. Would be nice to see him support an educational opportunity, especially in the area of civics. The only waste of time here is in his efforts to oppose this simple bill.
Well Said

Hansford, WV

#20 Jan 21, 2011
Samantha wrote:
Great spirit Rep. Jasper. Maybe he should educate himself about the spotted newt before opposing it. Hopefully he knows what purple looks like. This would have been a great opportunity for him to support a young girl from his own district rather than stomp on her bill. Would be nice to see him support an educational opportunity, especially in the area of civics. The only waste of time here is in his efforts to oppose this simple bill.
Very well stated Samantha, Shawn Jasper's true colors are showing.
c-mon

Stamford, CT

#21 Jan 21, 2011
what a joke
complete waste of time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Litchfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two arrested for Litchfield burglaries (Oct '13) 2 hr Lakeside Livin 26
Sex women age 18 +44 7827 925226 (Feb '15) 18 hr ErnieH12 11
Ok Ladies, We'll Try It Again... (Jan '09) Feb 23 Robert S 31
News VIDEO: Angry driver shoves woman to ground in r... Feb 23 Holigram Holiday 4
Dr Jerry Rind - is a disgusting sexist pig (Apr '17) Feb 15 Derry 4
News Police officer ideal for sheriff's post (Sep '06) Sep '17 Joanneg603 8
News The Week In N.H. News: Bobcats, Bagels and Bono (Apr '16) Apr '16 Julie Jane 1

Litchfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Litchfield Mortgages